Amount
× Reminder: this is not a miscellaneous discussion forum. If your thread is not about the forum itself, its software, or its mods, please look for a more appropriate home -- thanks.

The most important Forum Post ever

21 Jun 2014 14:29 #36910 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The most important Forum Post ever

fats wrote:

deathgeonous wrote: Ok, I'm glad to hear that if/when the pay stuff comes, us cheep and or broke guys will still be welcomed. That said, I like the idea of ads and pay for guys get to have them removed, and I also liked the idea of a yearly subscription to the site. As weird as it may sound, if you accept a yearly payment plan, I, personally, am more likely to be able to pay. It's the one lump sum thing. Since I have so very little left in a month after making all my necessary to live and not be homeless payments, taking another five out of that seems bad. But... I could maybe afford a one lump sum once a year better. Weird but true.

the $5 per month was a idea, if someone wants to put in say $50 as a one off payment at say xmas, then go for it.

btw the $50 is suggested amount if someone wants to put in a larger or smaller amount then go for it

fats

Maybe we should consider a Kickstarter style contribution.

BTW, Dru's idea of using DA style adds isn't bad either.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2014 14:46 #36913 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The most important Forum Post ever
To stay ad free for $5 a month is well worth it in my mind. Ads are the scourge of the Net. A plague. SWM today reminds me of the glorious days of the Net before advertising crawled out of its slime pit and stunk up the neighborhood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Raa, fats

More
21 Jun 2014 15:25 #36914 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: To stay ad free for $5 a month is well worth it in my mind. Ads are the scourge of the Net. A plague. SWM today reminds me of the glorious days of the Net before advertising crawled out of its slime pit and stunk up the neighborhood.

Say hello to my friend: AdBlock :p

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, fats

More
21 Jun 2014 15:30 #36915 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Thanks for the posts and support guys! We're looking at options which includes everything from a Paypal button to a Patreon type of contribution model. Fats and I just wanted to test the waters and see what people's general reaction was/is. As he said, 100% of the contributions will go to the site hosting and enhanced content. I have some content ideas for contests and would like to lure some "big guns" (artists, producers) with the carrot of bigger cash prizes, as I cannot simply continue to shell out the money needed for commission prizes and such.

There is NO WAY (while Fats and I are running it) that the site will be for paying/contributing members only. All contributions are welcome, and I understand budgetary constraints as much as anyone, which is kinda why we're going this route... :) There will be no backlash or bad feelings for anyone unable to contribute!

We just wanna keep our little corner of the interweb going, and with maybe some more cash, make it even more satble from a hosting perspective and content-enriched......

Peace!
ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, fats

More
21 Jun 2014 15:46 #36916 by oogber
Replied by oogber on topic The most important Forum Post ever
if SWM does run ads, please don't run adblock :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, fats

More
21 Jun 2014 15:57 #36917 by Woodclaw

oogber wrote: if SWM does run ads, please don't run adblock :(

Okay, that's a fair point.

More
21 Jun 2014 16:03 #36918 by oogber
Replied by oogber on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Well, if they are flash ads, I would block them. So I guess I have my limits too.

More
21 Jun 2014 17:36 - 21 Jun 2014 17:39 #36919 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic The most important Forum Post ever

oogber wrote: Well, if they are flash ads, I would block them. So I guess I have my limits too.

While I never say never, I would say that ads are probably not in SWM's future, unless they are specific ads/links to pre-selected genre content (e.g. PSW, Cult Retro, AC Comics, KAK, etc) meant to help facilitate the genre

ElF
Last edit: 21 Jun 2014 17:39 by lfan.

More
21 Jun 2014 18:17 #36924 by mo
Replied by mo on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I would definitely be happy to contribute although I think I'd rather avoid a regular monthly amount.

How about running a campaign with a target that funds hosting for a year and you guys can keep anything extra in the bank till next year?

Keep up the great work!

More
21 Jun 2014 20:22 #36926 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I agree with suggestions for an annual contribution now that I think about it.

More
21 Jun 2014 22:59 #36928 by desonray
Replied by desonray on topic The most important Forum Post ever
5 is good

More
21 Jun 2014 22:59 #36929 by CDR
Replied by CDR on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I think I prefer the monthly automated billing but I'd like a small percentage of the cash to be saved for content commissioning.
That way you'd reward the contributing member from time to time.
Just an idea...

More
22 Jun 2014 01:37 #36931 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I just flat cannot afford another monthly subscription. It's not the money per se, it's the problems I'm having keeping the "It's only $5 a month" impulse subscriptions under control. Get enough of them and it's serious money.

I'm happy to add this site to the list of sites that get contributions at the end of the year when I reconcile my actual financial state with my planned budget, but I can't make it a monthly subscription. So please if you do this add an option for a one time donation of a larger lump sum for people like me who are being drowned in the huge number of recurring payments already.

More
22 Jun 2014 04:09 #36932 by ericjohn25
Replied by ericjohn25 on topic The most important Forum Post ever
$3 per mouth will work.

More
22 Jun 2014 18:41 #36936 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic The most important Forum Post ever
$5.00
I'm in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats

• Markiehoe
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
22 Jun 2014 20:11 #36939 by Kamelmann
Replied by Kamelmann on topic The most important Forum Post ever
I'm very keen to help support this site.. but.. would simply having a 'donate' option be an idea?

Then those of us that can donate each month can do so.. and those of us who can't, do so when we can..

Not sure if that's a stupid idea or not.. but it would allow all of us to contribute what we can afford, when we can afford it.. no matter how big or small.. =/

More
22 Jun 2014 20:49 #36940 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic The most important Forum Post ever

Kamelmann wrote: I'm very keen to help support this site.. but.. would simply having a 'donate' option be an idea?

Then those of us that can donate each month can do so.. and those of us who can't, do so when we can..

Not sure if that's a stupid idea or not.. but it would allow all of us to contribute what we can afford, when we can afford it.. no matter how big or small.. =/

I completely understand the desire for a subscription option for those who want it. It's a convenient way to donate regularly. I just want to make sure that for those of us having issues with too many recurring subscriptions already there is an option for a one-time donation whenever we are able.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Kamelmann, fats

More
23 Jun 2014 21:43 #36957 by VagabondEye
Replied by VagabondEye on topic The most important Forum Post ever
Would you accept occasional donations via anonymous bit coin transfer? There is getting to be so much security hassle with PayPal lately it takes me an hour to convince their machine via scanned ass-print that I'm me and I STILL don't trust PayPal with my credentials any further than I can throw them. I've seen they have public, explicit agreements with the Feds (NSA etc), so I'm left wondering why anybody uses them for this sort of personal item.

More
24 Jun 2014 01:12 #36961 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic The most important Forum Post ever
While I'm late to the party, I'm in for something. Not sure how much, but i"m in for something. ;-)

I would think it would help to let us know what the monthly/annual target is, and perhaps show a running total. And I'd not mind if the extra was used for commissioning art -- I LOVE to see new art.

I'll probably give a lump amount, I'm not a fan of ankle-biting monthly charges. I'd rather see that I have $X free TODAY, and just pay that.

And kudos for making sure that the site stays free to use, that is a good goal.

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
More
24 Jun 2014 02:06 #36964 by fats
Replied by fats on topic The most important Forum Post ever
hi all,

An update on what has been going on.

Lfan and I welcome all the comments that have been posted in this thread, the offers to support the site has been gratifying to say the least. Lfan has been looking at how we work the money side of things and he is currently looking at Patreon as the means of collecting the donations but that might change if he finds something better to our needs.

I've been looking at the options for the server and the costs attached.

At the moment there are a number of server packages out there that will fulfil our needs, I’m working on whittling them down to the best for us, the biggest issue that we are having is most hosts have a AUP (acceptable usage policy). The AUP for most of the host would not allow our site this is due to the content of the material and I’m not talking about the nude pics that have been posted, but the stories as well, some would ban us for the violent content of the stories and others for the sexual content of them as well, so the number of hosts that I can look at is small to say the least.

The new host is going to be either a traditional VPS or a Cloud VPS. My preference would be with the Cloud VPS as it gives us a lot more bang for our buck and also it would allow us to be able to change the server specs quickly allow me to shape the server to best suit the site needs.

I'm not anticipating that we will be moving to the new server until the end of July, this is to allow me to find the best package , for Lfan to get the donation system up and running.

There is a lot going on in the background at the moment and it's important that we get this right, to rush it and go with the wrong package could be a disaster for the site and it's one that I don’t want to do.

If anyone has a host that they feel could be good for our site or have come ideas on hosting, or any questions please feel free to post them here.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Grayface, Raa, Dru1076

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds