Amount

Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation

25 May 2016 16:39 #48070 by veggicidal
Replied by veggicidal on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
Here's another one for you guys:

I'm really proud of this one:

This one is inspired by SuperSexyHeroines:

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, jdrock24, SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• veggicidal
  • veggicidal's Avatar Topic Author
More
01 Nov 2016 14:46 #50979 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
WOW.

These are skills I want. :)

More
01 Nov 2016 23:19 #50985 by veggicidal
Replied by veggicidal on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
The learning curve can be a little steep, I'm afraid. About 95% of it is just lots of tinkering with trial and error. The two most important bits of software you'll need are Daz3d and Marvelous Designer. Daz3d is free, but they like to charge you for little bits of helper software and props. I've probably spent about 200 bucks or so on things.

Marvelous Designer can be purchased on a subscription basis. They charge about 60 dollars per month. Plus you can get a free 30-day trial.

Or you can just download lots of torrents and cracks at your own risk.... :P

• veggicidal
More
02 Nov 2016 03:53 #50990 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
Anyone have comments about trying to learn one of the free tools like Blender?

More
02 Nov 2016 08:13 #50997 by superfunk
Replied by superfunk on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
I had worked with Blender a little. It can be considered as a low level tool (like Maya, 3DS Max) comparing to Daz3d/Poser. It has a way longer learning curve but it is definitely more powerful at the end.

Blender is not only modeling and animation tool. You can do sculpting or video/image compositing (like After Effects) too. Additionally it has a integrated game engine where you can create simple games (Beware ! the game engine is planned to be removed in future versions)

I think it is better way to combine the strengths of two or more tools, to optimize the time, the effort and the quality of the output. For example Blender can be used in conjunction with Daz3D/Poser and this can be achieved in different ways;

1. Use Blender for modeling, Daz3d for animation and rendering,
2. Use Daz3d for models, Blender for animation and rendering
3. Use Daz3d for animation and rendering, Blender for video editing and compositing
4. and so on...

Each way requires/consumes different amount of effort/time and the output quality may vary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

More
02 Nov 2016 15:50 - 02 Nov 2016 15:58 #51000 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
I don't use Daz Studio (which is Daz3d's own 3d software) but rather Poser 2014 (which is essentially the same as Daz Studio - though Daz Studio is better for rendering). Only reason I haven't switched is because Poser is fine for what I use it for, and I can't be arsed to learn a new interface and workflow :P

Poser is actually quite easy to get into. A few tutorial on Youtube will get you up an running in no time.

A lot of the quality will depend on what models you have in your library (Poser is not a modeling program so you can't actually create models in it). There are a lot of free models for Poser out there (and as someone said, also "free" models). My library currently runs at around 1TB (been using and collecting since Poser 4, waaaaaaaay back when lol :P ).

Daz3d and Renderosity are probably the best marketplace for models. You can get ANYTHING there, and the prices usually range from about $5 - $20+. They both have a free section, but it is limited.

Personally, if you just want to do figure animations/renders, I would pick up either Daz Studio or Poser. Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, and other true 3d modelling programs have a MUCH higher learning curve (thought they are infinitely more flexible). Pick one of those, get the Victoria model (currently called "Genesis 3") and some clothes, and within a few clicks you can have a render up and ready. Its that simple :)

Depending on your system (and quality settings) a render can take between 30secs to an hour plus some. Remember this is for a still. For an animation, you need to multiply the time for one render by 24 (approximately). So, as you can see, it can take a while for really good looking animations.

I don't know how long those animations took, but in my experience, those are not near the highest quality you can get in Poser. Though judging by the cloth dynamics, it still would probably take some time.

Marvelous Designer I have no experience with, though I hear they are great at cloth simulation.

Hope that helps :)

Peace.

/K

P.S. My quick workflow for a picture is Poser (mod and render) -> Photoshop (color grading). I skip using an external renderer such as 3DS Max as I find the Firefly renderer in Poser fine. Especially once Photoshop is done with it. I rarely do animations, but if I do, then it goes through After Effects (for composition) and then Premiere (for editing and final output).
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 15:58 by kikass2014.

More
02 Nov 2016 20:44 #51006 by anterion
Replied by anterion on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
Blender can also be used to modify existing props and models. I have worked with SuperCDR in the past doing that.
For example, few pre-made props or models have the geometry to be bent or crushed or something.
Adding such geometry is usually less complex than building a new prop.
If anyone is interested in learning more about this, just let me know and I can provide a bit of info on the workflow SuperCDR and me used in the past.

More
02 May 2017 18:16 #53885 by veggicidal
Replied by veggicidal on topic Anybody interested in DAZ3D commisions?
Here's a little something I put together using Daz3D and Marvelous Designer. The costume should look familiar to fans of SuperSexyHeroines.com.

Feedback is welcome. I'm not really interested in taking commissions, but any requests will certainly be considered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Woodclaw, Kamelmann, SCOTT R, Agent00Soul, LustMonster

• veggicidal
More
02 May 2017 18:48 #53886 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Anybody interested in DAZ3D commisions?

veggicidal wrote:

That was excellent - good work with the wind effects! I was literally just commenting to Njae this morning that it's a pet peeve that too many artists don't include wind effects on the clothes and hair for their flying heroines.

More
04 May 2017 13:23 #53899 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation

anterion wrote: Blender can also be used to modify existing props and models. I have worked with SuperCDR in the past doing that.
For example, few pre-made props or models have the geometry to be bent or crushed or something.
Adding such geometry is usually less complex than building a new prop.
If anyone is interested in learning more about this, just let me know and I can provide a bit of info on the workflow SuperCDR and me used in the past.

Actually this sounds interesting. One thing that I miss in DAZ, especially for our genre, is the possibility to destroy something. You can go and move every bit of a character but props usually don't have a broken state. Clothes can be ripped thanks to cutout opacity, but items really don't follow that logic. For the phone booth in my last post I tried to "break" it in a similar manner by making parts of it invisible. Unfortunately the end result wasn't presentable so I settled for broken window textures instead.

More
07 May 2017 16:56 #53977 by anterion
Replied by anterion on topic Daz3d/Marvelous Designer Animation
I'm currently playing with the idea of writing up a quick tutorial on the topic and publish it on my dA profile ( grungypolygon.deviantart.com ). But I don't have figured out yet how detailed it should be.

Maybe going to put up something that explains what a prop in DAZ or Poser is made off and then show what can be changed without too much effort and what will take effort to achieve?
The following user(s) said Thank You: veggicidal

More
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds