Amount

Unfinished Story - Grotesque - "October Challenge"

13 Nov 2021 14:00 #72668 by Silhouette
I recently challenged myself to concentrate on only one story for a month. The result was 56 pages of an incomplete story. The theme was horror-based and, being October aka Halloween, that theme just naturally fit. Being an origin story, I'll warn readers right now that there's no "superheroine"-type action but at least you get the "origin" part of the "origin" story.

I'm horrible with titles and used "Grotesque" as the title.

Here are the usual parameters:

** VIOLENCE : Some, not a lot. Maybe even "torture" would be a better description although not explicit or anything of that type.
** NUDITY : Yes, although it's not explicit. I will warn you right now that, even though those involved are in high school, I tried to make it clear that they are legal age because no one enjoys being hauled away in handcuffs (least of all me).
** SEX : Nope.
** OBSCENITIES : Yes. Maybe on the level of an old-styled PG-13 film (a lite modern-day R-rated film?). Nobody talks like a drunken sailor, though. Scattered but not multiple.
** ADULT THEMES : Kind of. There is some intensity, some things that a typical 15-year old might not fully "get." That's not a knock against them; It's just an indication that, as you get older in life, you experience more types of life events and truly appreciate their gravity.

As said before, there is a horror theme to this and, by extension, a "religious" theme. I don't think that it's severe to any degree but everyone is different so "buyer beware."

I don't know if I'll continue on with this story; It was a fun challenge that was slightly (read: significantly) marred by a lot of Real Life(tm) situations that sort of got in the way with how much I could have written. There are typos and small grammatical mistakes that I should probably correct (because one pass is never enough to find them all). Part of the challenge was to not go back and re-write anything significant; I know myself too well and part of the reason why I don't complete a lot of the fiction that I write is because I'm constantly re-reading my works and going, "No, I don't need that character; Those two other characters can be combined; Why the heck is the main character bald (thin, Asian, blind, poor, fill in your favorite descriptor here) again? We have to get rid of that; That sentence sucks; I need to clarify that section; What drugs were I on when I wrote that? That has to go; Oh, I could greatly expand that section..." And on and on and on. I did go back throughout the month and correct ultra-obvious grammar & typo stuff but I never went back and did the usual "This character must go & this scene needs to be added and why didn't this character do this instead of that" stuff.

Anyway, have fun with it. Even re-reading it one more time has given me a little incentive to go back and at least add enough so that the superheroine is, you know, a superheroine in the story...

Comments, concernsm critiques, compliments are always welcome. Enjoy.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lindorin, Rjjt456

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Silhouette
  • Silhouette's Avatar Topic Author
More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds