Amount

BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.

17 Apr 2022 15:21 #73727 by Sarge395
BullyPup messing around with Daz3D. was created by Sarge395
I'm simply the messenger.  Happy to be involved with the idea phase.  He has taken to Daz3D like a bulldog to bacon or something.  Anyway here are 6 practice renders he has done.  I named her ISOBabe with no meaning behind it.  Just a name.  Feel free to comment, make future suggestions, etc.  Just go easy as he has only been playing with it for about 2 months now on the side of family and work.  I found a program that allows you to stack up a few renders in a queue that might speed things up.  Depending on quality and complexity a render can take hours to a day to get through.  If you share at least give credit to him.  Thank you.  Leave a like if you like.  Artists like feedback and encouragement.  

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, rivet, shadar, Woodclaw, Artnico, slim36, Ravens_ghost, Revan, aguilauno, Markiehoe, Brad2, Slim0926, erikphandel, Monty, amplifyit, eric328, kikass2014, jay_manus, Myrows, cristian01984 and 6 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
17 Apr 2022 16:23 #73728 by italy877
Replied by italy877 on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
She looks AMAZING cantbwait to see more of her!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bully_pup, Brad2

More
17 Apr 2022 18:39 #73731 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
As a digital artist, I've been using DazStudio for a few years now (was a Poser user before Daz3D even decided to make their own program lol :) ).

The main suggestion I would make is - don't just rely on HDRI lighting setups for your images.  I know they are fast and easy to setup, but there are drawbacks imo.
For example, you have to position the action in the center of the dome.  Which can be fine if that is what you are going for, but can be a pain if you want a specific comp. Also, the background image lacks true "depth" imo.
I personally prefer to build out the scene in full 3D.  It takes longer, but ultimately feels more "real" as the figure, and action, is sitting in a true 3D space.

Also, find render settings that work for you.  You should not crank up everything to max to get the "best" render. All you will do is just make your render time much longer then it needs to be.
Find what works best for you in terms of quality vs. render time.  Anything else can be fixed in post.

I guess, those are just my general tips. If you need something specific, feel free to ask and I will see if I can answer :)

Best of luck Bully :)  Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bully_pup, Sarge395, AUphoric

More
17 Apr 2022 19:08 #73732 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
Aphrodite is surely a good name for this lady. She does look like a Greek goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bully_pup, Sarge395

More
17 Apr 2022 19:45 #73734 by Rjjt456
Replied by Rjjt456 on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.

Aphrodite is surely a good name for this lady. She does look like a Greek goddess
I would go for Hera, simply due to her having such radiating power, while still being wildly attractive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, erikphandel

More
17 Apr 2022 23:57 #73735 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
I think Bullypup really nailed the costume design: it's clearly reminiscent of ancient Greece, but distinct enough to be unique.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bully_pup, Sarge395, AUphoric

More
18 Apr 2022 01:29 #73737 by Bully_pup
Replied by Bully_pup on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
Thanks man!
I'm building scenes now for a comic I'm working on. Those images are not HDRI's ( I don't even know how to do that yet.) On these images, I just rendered the characters only as PNG files then googled some background images and then photoshopped them in.

After many... Many hours of DAZ tutorials on YouTube, I think I have my render settings dialed in. (At Least as dialed as my GPU can handle.)
For lighting, I've been getting better with ghost lights, but I have a ways to go.

Please, keep any tips you can think of coming. I'm really enjoying this new creative platform, but I have a long way to go. Right now, I'm trying to wrap my brain around skin shaders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014, Rjjt456

More
18 Apr 2022 05:55 #73739 by Rjjt456
Have you considered trying to use Blender? I know a few people that has migrated from DAZ to blender during the last year, but they also have some experience with creating renders XD

www.blender.org/

More
18 Apr 2022 11:15 #73742 by Bully_pup
Rjjt456
Blender is on the list, along with Unreal Engine. My mind is still blown by what I've seen with Metahuman in Unreal Engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rjjt456

More
18 Apr 2022 14:51 #73743 by kikass2014
The Cycles render engine in Blender is superior to the Iray engine in Daz Studio.  Plus, you can leverage the power of the Octane render engine far easier in Blender for even better renders.

The power of Daz Studio lies in the Daz3D store and the range of assets available. Plus, I would say Daz Studio is easy to learn and get use to.

Blender, and other 3D programs of that level, do give a huge option that Daz Studio does not - you can model your own objects in them.  Daz Studio is NOT a 3D modeller.  DS is designed to work with pre-built assets (this is a slight simplifications but it I think it holds true).

Unreal Engine is also a step-up, not only in terms quality, but of learning curve. Unreal to me is more if you want to go into animations and/or game production (as that is what it is primarily designed for).

It really depends on what your goal is.

My general work flow is - create scenes in Daz Studio, then export to 3D Studio Max for rendering, and then post-work in Photoshop.  But sometimes I might just do all the work in Daz Studio.  It really depends on the level of quality you need.

Either way, go with what works best for you :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bully_pup, Rjjt456, AUphoric

More
18 Apr 2022 17:09 #73746 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
Great stuff.  Not a user myself, but great preview.  Can't wait for the 3D printer.

More
19 Apr 2022 01:18 #73753 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
Quick tip: There is a Daz to Blender connector/plugin that works rather well. The prop model costs for DAZ are more reasonable compared to Turbosquid for example so there are benefits to using it.

The Blender compositor has come a long way. It used to completely befuddle me - now it's far more intuitive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bully_pup

More
19 Apr 2022 03:46 #73754 by Bully_pup
kikass2014
I'm working to learn all three.  Though yeah, DAZ has a much gentler learning curve.  I first looked at them for backgrounds, but after looking at the Genesis models on DAZ, I had to give it a shot.   For years, I've been wanting to re-start the Steele's in both photography and film, but my schedule at work is way too crazy.  It's hard enough just making time for my family.   With this though, I don't have to deal with other people's schedules, or search for shooting locations.   So, until I retire, quit, or get fired, this will be my creative outlet. 

If you're up for giving more advise, I've got about a million questions about using Dforce for animations. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, kikass2014

More
19 Apr 2022 07:03 #73757 by Rjjt456
Which assets have been used to create her outfit?
I really like the style of it, and I might want a friend of mine to try an replicate it so they can render a character of mine while they are in their “superhero” phase :-)

More
19 Apr 2022 14:43 #73762 by Bully_pup
I'll PM you the links

More
19 Apr 2022 21:32 #73764 by kikass2014

If you're up for giving more advise, I've got about a million questions about using Dforce for animations.

ARRRGGHHH DForce :(

Tbh, its probably the least area I know about.  The reason for that is, I never use it.

When I first started with DS, DForce was buggy as hell.  Crashed PC's hard (blue screen of death, played havoc with graphics cards, etc.)  So I steered away from it.

Daz have gotten DForce to work better now, but it still crashes a lot according to a few users.

Tbh, over time, I found that the normal conforming clothes were fine for what I needed to do. Especially the ones with a lot of morphs to make adjustments (which most clothes do now). So I never bothered to learn the system.

Also, you can achieve similar results using Deformers (a different system to DForce, and less taxing on the system imo).

If you want, send me a PM and I'll send the link on a great tutorial on it.

Peace.

/K

More
19 Apr 2022 21:50 #73765 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
About the only things I use dForce for are capes and bed sheets, which are both more or less rectangular.
Actually, I have had decent luck with skirts now and then.
I've had better luck with the "animation" approach than simulating a single frame.

More
19 Apr 2022 22:16 #73766 by Bully_pup
Yeah, it caused my PC crash too. But, I've since updated my GPU and it works really well now. I like the realism it adds to clothing. Capes especially. Plus I'm starting to get the hang of materials and shaders.

Have any of you animated your genesis characters with Unreal Engine?

More
20 Apr 2022 01:54 #73768 by fats
Replied by fats on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
you should check out cinema4d, I've been playing around with it over the last 10 years, but really been having some fun with it over the last 2 years, lots of good videos on youtube on how it can be used, also a ton of content is available as well.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bully_pup, Monty

More
20 Apr 2022 03:31 - 20 Apr 2022 03:32 #73769 by Bully_pup
I will at some point. But $60 a month is a  bit steep for me right now.  I'm already paying about that much for Adobe CC. Hate to give up After Effects Photoshop and Premier. I still shoot and edit to keep my kung fu strong.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2022 03:32 by Bully_pup.

More
20 Apr 2022 11:34 #73770 by kikass2014

Have any of you animated your genesis characters with Unreal Engine?

I haven't.  I generally produce still images only.

Peace.

/K

More
20 Apr 2022 14:32 #73773 by Bully_pup
From what I've been seeing, Blender is THE way to go for animations. Their vehicle models are amazingly real looking, but also expensive.

More
20 Apr 2022 15:34 - 20 Apr 2022 15:48 #73774 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
I wouldn't call Blender *the* way to go - maybe *the affordable* way to go. C4D is really amazing and while Blender is catching up C4D has better physics and particle engines.

Don't be fooled by models either. The Blender ones look great but it takes a *lot* of work to get the lighting and rigging right to ever use them.  Very often those really good looking models are done in other tools and exported for Blender too - it doesn't always go perfectly and you'll find surfaces are suddenly not connected correctly and you have to fix vertexes/planes ~ I'm a rookie at this so I'm not explaining that perfectly...
Last edit: 20 Apr 2022 15:48 by Random321.

More
20 Apr 2022 15:44 #73775 by Bully_pup
TBH, I haven't looked that deep into Cinema 4D, or Poser. Mostly because of the price point.
As I get more experience, I'll likely give them a go down the road a little.

More
20 Apr 2022 17:27 #73776 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic BullyPup messing around with Daz3D.
Any stuff we’d be interested in seeing from all that play time?

• Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar Topic Author
More
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds