Amount

ARRRRGH

10 Mar 2007 03:22 #8561 by oldHarmonyMotion
ARRRRGH was created by oldHarmonyMotion
This isn't a story, just a rant.

I've been lurking around here so long, and I've always wanted to contribute by writing, but I NEVER seem to get around to it. I think I'd be okay at it, given the fact that I _know_ grammar and spelling (if you've seen other fiction published on the internet, you'll know what I mean.)

Yet I've never gotten around to doing it. I could say that I'm too busy, but that would be a lie.

Does anyone have any advice? I really do want to write something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldHarmonyMotion
  • oldHarmonyMotion's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2007 04:01 #8563 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: ARRRRGH
What seems to be the problem? Coming up with ideas? Getting started? Plot? Characterization? Dialogue? Action?

More
10 Mar 2007 04:17 #8564 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: ARRRRGH
Plot, I think. I've written some short stories out of boredom in my spare time (they're really bad, and not ubergirl related, so nobody's interested :) I think the main reason is that the whole fetish thing has been done to death by everyone; new or unique powers or use of them aren't being created anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but I don't feel like writing something that anyone else here can write.

I'm being over-ambitious, I know. I should probably just write a quickie and get some feedback and something will happen :)

• oldHarmonyMotion
  • oldHarmonyMotion's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2007 04:44 #8566 by yaracyrrah
Replied by yaracyrrah on topic Re: ARRRRGH
The best is the enemy of the good. I, for one, enjoy genre stories even when they're mere juvenilia. Heck, I even like *my own* juvenilia :D . Since you can indeed compose a proper English sentence, I guarantee that if you post a story, no matter how unoriginal its elements, I will enjoy it. And I promise to say so effusively :) . And I'm sure I'm not the only reader here who enjoys cheap wine as well as fine; I'm just gauche enough to say so.

--Y
who needs to listen to his own advice and post something one of these days

More
14 Mar 2007 06:59 #8672 by crazyfck
Replied by crazyfck on topic Re: ARRRRGH
I will answer you with something I've just wrote in the Amaz0ns board (just change 'FMG' for 'Superpowers'):

I think that ‘its been done’ syndrome is the worst thing that a writer could have in his mind.

FMG is all about character transformation, when you create a tale with two pages, you are just scratching the surface, unless you are a very, very talented writer, it will just starts and ends with a description of growth, and it doesnt have any appeal to me. I want to know about her, what she was before and then after the transformation, how people will react to her, her new feelings. I love third person perspective of FMG

Remember, there is only 36 dramatic situations in all literature, comics, movies, so it's easy to say that some story is cliché. Thats why character development is the most precious thing that a story can have, it's where a story can be new, to have unexpected turns, to be fun

If the writer wants to be shakespeare, even better, but if he wants to use worn-out cliches and over used plot devices and even there we can see who she is, I'm happy

the writer that is aware of cliches, is the one who writes the best

Every story you know was made repeatedly to death by humanity, from Homer’s Odyssey to Star Wars. It's the ‘macguffin’ the difference, a term from Hitchcock. The macguffin is the element that triggers the action. Can be a suitcase, a lost ark, the force, a meteor, a spider, a mutation

But everything resumes to emotions, to what the character wants, needs and fears. If you don’t have any new macguffin (and that’s really hard) pick a known universe, and just let your characters live in there

More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds