Amount

WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!

25 Jul 2011 11:06 #24104 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
That depends on which Superman history you go with. The canonical history would support your position, although some writers chose to show his powers developing more slowly.

The Smallville TV show history, which has influenced many people, was that he very gradually developed his powers. So he grew up mostly human.

In either case, he was raised by humans and he learned about life from the perspective of his adopted parents' very human world a long time before he was flying around saving the world as Superman. (Unless you go down the Superboy path, which I personally disliked.)

WW arrives and presumably begins to interact as a super heroine from day one. She's also an adult at that time. It takes her a long time to decide to try to create an alter ego and live among humans as an ordinary woman, at least some of the time. She turns out to be pretty bad at it, both in the comics and the TV show pilot.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Jul 2011 11:37 - 25 Jul 2011 11:38 #24105 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
My take is the writing was pretty good for a pilot that was intended to create questions about the character which would be answered during the full series. To create inconsistencies and conflicts that could be solved later, keeping the viewer hooked all along the way.

Shadar

She is madly in love with Steve Trevor, and He with her, and she gives the old Superman special "If we get married my enemies would strike at you to get to me" line, and then 6 months Later Steve Trevor is married? How many of us would get over her, and find another gal and get married in 6 months? And you think this is good writing? Geez!

And threatening to KILL her Rival? Now that is real believable WW dialogue.

It is one thing when Dirty Harry shoots a serial killer in the leg who has buried a 14 year old girl. He is trying to save the the girl's life, and if he has to go a little above and beyond, the audience supports him in that. But then WW complains that she is being objectified by a doll that her own company makes and this is wrong, but then goes around and clubs to death some guy who is down and unconscious and that is OK? Just exactly what kind of values does she have? It is ok to kill or threaten to kill someone, but don't make the tits on my doll too big because I find that offensive? Come on! Sorry, but I cannot imagine Wonder Woman (or most any other Woman) referring to their breasts as Tits!
Last edit: 25 Jul 2011 11:38 by ace191.

More
25 Jul 2011 20:31 #24109 by shadar
I still think the writing was appropriate for the audience, which is teenagers through 20-somethings. Tits is a common enough word, used by women and men of that age, and violence is expected from viewers growing up with video games, even of heroines (although she should have killed some of the mutants, not the rent-a-cop). Action figures are supposed to be violent these days.

You are exactly right on, Ace, that the show doesn't represent WW as historically presented. But that character has no relevance to young TV viewers today. As I mentioned in my posts, I still think this was a pretty good 21st century WW.

However, I'm among those of you who prefer a 20th century perspective on WW (not to mention SG and the others). But I do find it interesting and entertaining to see 21st century portrayals of iconic figures. Some of it is jarring, some of it I hate, some I like, but all of it is fun. And besides, its where the audience is. If we want to see such characters on a Hollywood screen, its going to be jarring to many of us.

I don't believe the non-traditional portrayal of WW is why the show wasn't picked up. The gaffs and cracks in the plot were fixable. But I think they have to go even further down the line of a video-game heroine to make it really sell. She has to be dangerous and operate outside the rule of law.

Back here on SuperWomanMania, of course, our views are a bit more traditional and generally more respectful of a character's history. I'm not sure what the average age is here, but I'm guessing its not twentyish. But we're not developing shows or stories that can appeal to the demographic that one must sell to put a show on prime-time TV. We write or produce stuff we like, and its pretty tame compared to what young audiences want today.

It'll be interesting to see how the next movie portrays Superman, but I'm betting the fatality count will go way up compared to earlier Superman movies. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

Shadar

• shadar
More
25 Jul 2011 22:03 #24111 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
Well, I've finally got to see the complete show. Here are my random thoughts:

Positives:

- Liked the idea of her operating outside of American law enforcement while being so visible doing it. The conflicts between her and the justice system would have been an interesting continuing plot point.

- The action sequences were very well done. I think everyone would agree with that. The use of the lasso during fights was really cool.

- Liked the idea of her being so publicly visible while fighting crime. Although I think I would have made her something else besides the head of a toy company to explain her wealth. How about the west coast head of Wayne Enterprises with her crime fighting tools funded secretly by them? I don't know, I just find it hard to believe that selling dolls would allow that level of wealth.

- Palicki was awesome as Wonder Woman. Those who don't see her as a worthy Wonder Woman are deluded. I can't figure out where the hate for her comes from.

Negatives:

- The torturing of the guy. Why didn't she just use the lasso of truth? If she did, and it was the lasso of truth that caused the guy pain (because "the truth hurts" (<-Ha! I'm so funny!)) then they needed to explain that or show it. Perhaps they would have in future episodes...

- The killing of the guy. I'm sorry if I'm old fashioned but I don't believe Wonder Woman would so callously kill a guy like that. Batman is as violent as anyone and he never kills. Heroes just don't do it.

- The references to her popularity with the general public was a bit annoying at times. People shouting "We love you Wonder Woman!" was a overplayed (and it only happened twice) and her "82% approval rating" was kind of silly.

All in all, I'm still bummed that it didn't get picked up. Except for the killing, I think it could have worked. I don't know why some so-called fans hated it so much just because it didn't fit their perfect vision of what Wonder Woman should be like. I seriously doubt someone will try the character again. This was probably our last and best shot...

More
26 Jul 2011 03:24 #24116 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
There were things I liked about it and things I didn't. I liked the look and the way Diana tried to have a life of her own as well as a very public one. I liked the action too. I certainly didn't like the torture or the unnecessary killing. I don't see why the torture was needed if her lasso can make people tell the truth, and I didn't think she needed to kill. I wouldn't have much of a problem with her killing if it's absolutely necessary, but I struggle to see how how she got to be so popular by going that far.

I feel it could have worked, though some things may have needed to be changed or explained more so I still feel it's a pity that nothing's going to come of it.

More
26 Jul 2011 05:16 #24121 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
The fact WW use violence and kills some guys not disturb me. I think it was a good idea !

More
26 Jul 2011 09:17 #24122 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
I guess we now have a new definition of "Killer Tits"

And by the way, did anyone else notice her new "Super Boots". They come with retractable High Heels
so that when she needs to look good she can, but it the fight starts, they become flats.

There were just so many inconsistencies in this movie. You get the feeling that the whole thing was very quickly done with the old Hollywood thing, "We will fix it in Post Production."

More
26 Jul 2011 11:17 - 26 Jul 2011 11:23 #24123 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
I spent a long time in university studying film criticism and doing group analysis of modern fiction, so I want to apologize in advance if this in-depth review of the plot and structure of the Wonder Woman pilot starts to get a little too academic. I'm going to be using a few technical terms, so if English isn't your first language, you might want to get a friend to help translate.

Anyway. First off, that chick was smoking hot. My favorite was pausing the screen when she was jumping across the cargo containers during the fight scene. If I timed it right, I could get a full crotch shot and even see those little tendons sticking out where her legs connect to her vag area. I rewound that a few times. Hot.

Also, near the end when she picked up that British chick and slammed her against the wall with one hand and then dropped her on the ground like a piece of trash, then stood there for a second with her body cocked to the side with her big boobs sticking out like 'yeah, I just fucking slammed your bitch ass against the wall.' That was hot too. I paused it there.

Also, she's not crazy or schitzophrenic or anything like that. It's obvious what the writers are doing: she just needs some dick. But FFS that Steve Trevor guy is a total weenis. He's so freaking metrosexual. Gimme a break, I don't buy it. (Oh and to Ace, I think finding another girl and convincing yourself that you're in love with her is a perfectly reasonable response to getting unceremoniously dumped by Wonder Woman. A diversionary tactic to avoid admitting to yourself that you used to fuck Wonder Woman, and now you never will again).

Hmm. What else?... Oh the jet was stupid. Either give her the power to fly to make it true to the comics, give her an invisible plane to make it true to the earlier TV show, or just avoid the whole transportation thing altogether. Don't show her getting there. I didn't see any particular reason we needed to see her flying around in the first place.

Okay I think that's all I have for the moment. Again, I'm sorry for all the technical terms. If you had trouble with any of the syntax, I've got annotated footnotes here. Just shoot me a PM.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2011 11:23 by yohashuan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
26 Jul 2011 11:47 #24124 by shadar
You can get "technical" anytime... that was fun to read. You nailed it.

Shadar

• shadar
More
27 Jul 2011 09:41 - 27 Jul 2011 20:13 #24135 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: WONDER WOMAN CLIPS!!!
We'll never really know how the new Wonder Woman would've turned out. But one thing's for sure, it could never have a theme as awesome as the original series ...

(embedding disabled by corporate d-bags, no doubt)

Wonder Woman theme song
(music & lyrics by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel)

Wonder Woman!
Wonder Woman!

All the world is waiting for you
And the powers you possess
In your satin tights
Fighting for your rights
And the old red, white and blue!

Wonder Woman!
Wonder Woman!

Now the world is ready for you,
And the wonders you can do
Make a hawk a dove
Stop a war with love
Make a liar tell the truth!

Wonder Woman!
Get us out from under
Wonder Woman!

All our hopes are pinned upon you
And the magic that you do
Stop a bullet cold
Make the Axis fold
Change their minds
And change the world!

Wonder Woman!
Wonder Woman!
You're a wonder!
Wonder Woman!

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans
Last edit: 27 Jul 2011 20:13 by dr lazarus. Reason: typo(s)

More
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds