Amount

Fan Film : Stranger in a Strange Land released

12 Dec 2013 09:30 #34659 by dauntingmold
A Supergirl fan film, which I think is very nicely done. I did like the flying effects, and interesting way to show superspeed too, but I think it worked.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dave147, hunterbr2001, SCOTT R, Bernard72002, castor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dauntingmold
  • dauntingmold's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2013 11:38 #34660 by castor
I admire the effort.

As a visual piece its often very good, and its got some poetry to it. all the supergirl effects look great, especialyl as mentioned the speed scene. The music also works great.

That said i would like a bit of a plot to it. what it has is not bad, and it feels a bit like something from the 70s with superheros of just someone in bueaty by herself thinking about things. But it could have done with something more. A love story, a villian, something.

But maybe thats its charm it does feel like a good student film if that can be said to be a compliment It has an unhurried pace thats going for big emotion. Compared to a typical youtube video its slow melodical pace really works for it-its not trying to tell a joke, or just go to the big effects or be sexy-It has the sence of the language of poetry of film

More
12 Dec 2013 17:24 - 12 Dec 2013 17:26 #34663 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Fan Film : Stranger in a Strange Land released
Supergirl's gizmo at 8.30 in is disguised as a pocket hand warmer.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 12 Dec 2013 17:26 by Markiehoe.

More
13 Dec 2013 09:37 #34671 by Brantwood
Replied by Brantwood on topic Fan Film : Stranger in a Strange Land released
Grrrrrrrr !!!!!

That damned GEMA here in Germany blocked the Movie on Youtube !!!!!

Could you please make it downloadable ???

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

More
13 Dec 2013 09:53 #34672 by njae
Seriously I liked the GEMA more when I didn't know it existed...

More
13 Dec 2013 15:38 #34675 by Skye
Welcome to the club. ;(

More
13 Dec 2013 16:04 #34677 by njae
Gotta say I'm a bit surprised about how many actually have the GEMA problem. If the library should ever go multilingual it seems like german would be the most likely candidate from what's seem from the members.

More
13 Dec 2013 17:19 #34678 by Markiehoe
GEMA?

More
13 Dec 2013 22:28 #34680 by njae

Markiehoe wrote: GEMA?

The german collecting society that has been arguing with Google about the conditions with which youtube videos can be watched in Germany. Since the original contract ran out in march 2009, a lot of youtube videos - including this one here - are blocked for german viewers such as Brantwood, Skye and myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
14 Dec 2013 02:35 #34683 by Markiehoe
Your not missing much with this one.

More
14 Dec 2013 07:10 #34685 by shadar
Agree... I didn't finish it. Reminds me of a high-school student film.

But I'll give credit to the team for trying their best. Maybe next time.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
14 Dec 2013 14:49 #34687 by Sarge395
The following user(s) said Thank You: njae

• Sarge395
More
14 Dec 2013 16:47 #34688 by castor

shadar wrote: Agree... I didn't finish it. Reminds me of a high-school student film.

Shadar

Its A superhero fan film as an art movie.

And like an art movie if you let swirl over you by the last pretty good minute it gets somewhere.

Its not something if your looking for 'plot' but it has kind of good werid performance at its center. I know in the absultue million years you would never see the actress who play supergirl get a big budget movie, but there is something kind intresting in the vaugely frail almost spock like perfromance of supergirl as something alien, but not quite.

More
14 Dec 2013 21:04 #34690 by shadar
There are many art films that I don't like, and a few that I do. This isn't one of them. Sorry if I missed the last minute of the film that you referenced, but I couldn't get there.

That said, I'm hardly an expert, but I was a judge for a local high-school film festival last year, and this film reminded me of some of those films (albeit this one was far longer). Fortunately, there were a couple of really good films in that festival that I could get behind.

What I told the kids in the festival was to keep making films. Make as many as you can. I also reminded them that Peter Jackson made all kinds of silly films when he was a kid, really terrible horror stuff, but he learned from each one and was driven to improve his art and now he's among the elite filmmakers. If you've got an insatiable drive to make films, and you've got the eye for it, you will improve.

I would give the same advice to the makers of this movie.

Shadar

castor wrote:

shadar wrote: Agree... I didn't finish it. Reminds me of a high-school student film.

Shadar

Its A superhero fan film as an art movie.

And like an art movie if you let swirl over you by the last pretty good minute it gets somewhere.

Its not something if your looking for 'plot' but it has kind of good werid performance at its center. I know in the absultue million years you would never see the actress who play supergirl get a big budget movie, but there is something kind intresting in the vaugely frail almost spock like perfromance of supergirl as something alien, but not quite.

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds