Amount

How can a superwoman show off her powers?

29 Apr 2016 04:48 #47493 by Raa
Just thought of an idea. The boyfriend accidentally finds a bullet in her hair from when she stopped the robber earlier in the day. The bullet is misshaped by her hair. Now she has some explaining to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2016 13:20 #47494 by paul
New Superhero Shampoo.

For those times when saving the world (or saving the kitty cat in a tree) and the unexpected happens. Volcano ashes, bullet fragments, bird dropping get into your hair. Use the new an improved Energize! Shampoo.

More
29 Apr 2016 16:22 #47497 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic How can a superwoman show off her powers?

canarysong wrote: One of the problems with superheroine videos is that the content can become repetitive. Throatlift - tick. Invulnerability - tick. Handcrush - tick.

So I've been giving some thought to what else superheroines can do to show off their mighty powers. Here are some ideas.

ARMWRESTLING - normally associated with beefy, macho guys - so the sight of a beautiful, slim superwoman effortlessly defeating her male opponent in an armwrestle works really well, I think, and is underused by video producers. JonX had a couple of great armwrestle scenes in his videos several years ago.

LOCKING HANDS - This is a variant on the hand crush. The heroine and her opponent lock hands and she uses her power to force him down onto his knees.

ONE MIGHTY FINGER - The heroine knocks her opponent across the room with a flick of her finger. Or she holds him down with juat one finger.

IMMOBILISATION - Admittedly, this could also apply to a heroine without superpowers but who is an expert at martial arts (like Black Canary). The heroine uses her expert skills to immobilise her opponent by touching a particular pressure point - leaving him frozen and completely helpless.

And last but not least SPEECH! Wbat lets some videos down is that they are carried out in near silence. I love to hear some teasing or taunting from the heroine who enjoys showing off her powers and ridiculing her opponent's feeble attempts to defeat her.

Other suggestions are welcome. And if any genre video producers want to take some of these ideas on board, I'd be delighted!

Can't believe I missed this topic the last few times I visited this forum. Your suggestions are almost exactly what I am looking for. I especially like the taunting you mention.

More
29 Apr 2016 16:43 #47498 by castor
Replied by castor on topic How can a superwoman show off her powers?
One thing that is perhaps underlooked, but important in any kinda live action setting-performance.

Benoist is generarally awesome in supergirl in this regard-you get a sence every momment she uses her powers what those powers means to her-whether it suprised joyious awe when the bank robbers hit herin the pilot(which is probabbly my favorite momment in the show), to intimidation of villians to ocasional embarasment or lashing out with it,, to being kinda struggling effort in the finale-all of these are effective momments which involve no real special effects-its her eyes its her expression that sell it all and that can be understated.

Honestly its 50% or more of the entire deal.

In non mainstream stuff that something thats kinda rare- a lot of videos create a heroine who is non plussed by it all when she does something amazing makes it look like the easiest thing in the world, or sometimes to other characters like shes a badass-but thats kinda boring. To have a character suprised by how strong they are, or even frightened by it is a real emotion. To have a character struggle to lift something or wobble it creates an impression-which is equally valid to making it light as a feather. Even if its like an alien character who has no idea that this is strange -that in of itself is an emotional response. What ever you do, ultimeatly its more about how it effects the character.

And that perhaps is the best way to show it off.

• castor
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
29 Apr 2016 18:22 #47499 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic How can a superwoman show off her powers?

castor wrote: One thing that is perhaps underlooked, but important in any kinda live action setting-performance.

Benoist is generarally awesome in supergirl in this regard-you get a sence every momment she uses her powers what those powers means to her-whether it suprised joyious awe when the bank robbers hit herin the pilot(which is probabbly my favorite momment in the show), to intimidation of villians to ocasional embarasment or lashing out with it,, to being kinda struggling effort in the finale-all of these are effective momments which involve no real special effects-its her eyes its her expression that sell it all and that can be understated.

Honestly its 50% or more of the entire deal.

In non mainstream stuff that something thats kinda rare- a lot of videos create a heroine who is non plussed by it all when she does something amazing makes it look like the easiest thing in the world, or sometimes to other characters like shes a badass-but thats kinda boring. To have a character suprised by how strong they are, or even frightened by it is a real emotion. To have a character struggle to lift something or wobble it creates an impression-which is equally valid to making it light as a feather. Even if its like an alien character who has no idea that this is strange -that in of itself is an emotional response. What ever you do, ultimeatly its more about how it effects the character.

And that perhaps is the best way to show it off.

Castor's comment hit home with me. I enjoy superheroines the most when they are amazed and delighted by their abilities, which presumes they haven't been using them since birth. Not as something to use to hurt people, but to protect them against threats that only they have the power to stop. Especially when coupled to a lack of experience and some clear heroic behavior (which for sake of argument, means risking their lives to help others -- no risk, no heroics in my book).

Also a sense of joy and amazement in those powers, accompanied by the need to convincingly hide them some of the time. The whole complex mixture of human reactions and their own concerns over abuse of their abilities as well.

Also, a lot of people have what I call the "god gene" (or should I say, in this context, the "goddess gene") where they react with something more than merely awe when meeting someone who can legitimately claim to have "godlike powers". Not to mention being as stunningly attractive woman. Especially if that's coupled with strong intelligence and a innate sense of empathy and concern for others.

That's one of the things that mostly works with Benoist and her show. I may criticize many aspects of the writing and production/directing, but they came pretty close to nailing some of the essential traits of Supergirl that I like.

That said, evil ubergirls are a different sub-genre that can also be interesting, but mostly when the author depicts the differences in their attitude with that of a real superheroine.

The one thing that always leaves me cold is when an ubergirl causes pain and suffering for no reason other than fan service to the reader.

Shadar

More
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds