Amount

50 Superheroines Challenge

01 Dec 2017 13:08 #57423 by five_red
50 Superheroines Challenge was created by five_red
As we're supposedly heading into the holiday season, here's a bit of fun. The challenge is simple: fifty superheroines from tv and movies, five seconds each -- identify as many as you can! How well will you do..?

Use spoiler tags to hide your answers. I'll post a link to the complete list of who's who in a week. There are no prizes on offer, just bragging rights.

Hint: a few heroines may appear in more than one incarnation.

(Good luck with #18, btw..!)

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, gotham_knight, Agent00Soul, TwiceOnThursdays, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
01 Dec 2017 13:20 #57424 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
I think I could answer maybe half of those :(

I have no idea who the asian heroines are tbh, and some of the older ones either.

Nice challenge though :)

Peace.

/K

More
01 Dec 2017 13:28 - 01 Dec 2017 14:38 #57426 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
I'm too lazy to write down my answers but I'm confident I got 42 of them right, missing on a few of the Asian heroines, including #18 :P

Thx for posting, R5!

ElF
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 14:38 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

More
01 Dec 2017 13:47 #57428 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
I didn't know 13 of them

More
01 Dec 2017 15:35 - 01 Dec 2017 16:47 #57431 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
I didn't know about Sandra Bullock ... :blink:
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 16:47 by lfan.

More
01 Dec 2017 16:47 - 01 Dec 2017 16:57 #57434 by lfan

Helstar wrote: I didn't know about Sandra Bullock ... :blink:

That bionic movie ("Bionic Forever Showdown" I think) was actually being used as a possible launching pad for Kate Mason (a young Sandra Bullock) as the new bionic girl in a spinoff series. Obviously, it never happened. Wonder what ever happened to Sandra Bullock..... :P

ElF
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 16:57 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helstar

More
01 Dec 2017 17:03 #57435 by talk2sparky
Replied by talk2sparky on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
That was fun. Thanks, Red. I knew 38 of them, 9 I had no idea (mostly Asian), 2 I've seen before but I couldn't remember their names off the top of my head (the demon hunter one in blue, and the blond in pink near the end), and one I think was an old B/W Darna.

More
01 Dec 2017 18:39 - 01 Dec 2017 23:05 #57437 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
I'm kind of tempted to call bullshit on the entire video since there are a number of duplicate characters.

Okay I was an asshole.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 23:05 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helstar

More
01 Dec 2017 18:57 #57438 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
Come on, less negative remarks, he even specified it in first post "Hint: a few heroines may appear in more than one incarnation."

More
01 Dec 2017 20:03 - 01 Dec 2017 20:06 #57439 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
Bah - 37 - but then again I know if R5 really wanted to stump me on all 50 he probably could.

Kudos on all the footage you must have sifted through to get interesting highlight footage of each woman.

Oh and THANK-YOU for the Sandra Bullock & Bionic Showdown! How did I not know about this! I will be reviewing her IMDB to make sure I've not missed others. :)
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 20:06 by Random321.

More
01 Dec 2017 21:05 #57441 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge

Woodclaw wrote: I'm kind of tempted to call bullshit on the entire video since there are a number of duplicate characters.

I took it as an extra challenge. To not just go "Wonder Woman" but go "Wonder Woman, from that failed Cathy Lee Crosby pilot".

I'm willing to call bullshit for no Adrianne Palicki or Laura Vandervoort, ;-)

I know it doesn't purport to be extensive, so i'm not nitpicking here, just making an observation:

Agents of Shield had nothing. No Jessica Jones (but had electra in a bad clip), no one from runaways. No Killer Frost or Vixen, Isis, Canary from Legends. (Or animated vixen either). The list of animated heroines left out is pretty long (I'm not even going to start due to JLU/Young Justice/Teen Titans/Avengers), not to mention the DC Animated movies!

And that's the part I liked. A list of 50 and it doesn't even really scratch the surface. there's still such long list of versions/characters that were left out. We live in a great time. ;-)

I didn't count how many I knew ... but it was most of the non-asian ones that were not Darna. Totally blanking on the woman in pink in #40 though.

More
01 Dec 2017 21:48 - 01 Dec 2017 22:36 #57443 by lfan

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: Totally blanking on the woman in pink in #40 though.

Warning: Spoiler!
:)
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 22:36 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
01 Dec 2017 23:02 - 01 Dec 2017 23:03 #57446 by Woodclaw

Helstar wrote: Come on, less negative remarks, he even specified it in first post "Hint: a few heroines may appear in more than one incarnation."

I completely missed that hint.

Okay this is my current list. There are a few I've never seen in my life.

Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 23:03 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red, TwiceOnThursdays

More
02 Dec 2017 00:07 - 02 Dec 2017 00:24 #57448 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
#18 is not another version Darna.

For those of you wondering about the choice of heroines, here's an insight into the process of how the video was compiled...

The video was deliberately intended to be entertaining for as wide an audience as possible: young and old, Marvel fans and DC, casual and expert, Western and Asian, etc. It was not intended to be a definitive list of superheroines -- the idea was to mix familiar faces, nostalgia, and novelty. Ordering the clips took a hell of a lot of figuring out, a bit like the seating arrangement at a big family dinner. So that viewers didn't get disheartened, there's always a very recognisable face every four-to-five clips, and the clips in-between the easy clips get progressively harder. Further to this, the clips are spaced out as much as possible so that no two similar clips are together: Marvel and DC, live-action and cartoon, English and non-English, old and new, etc. etc. The start and end of the list is slightly easier, to give people a satisfying intro and exit, while the real head scratchers are in the middle. I was aware that viewers would expect super-well-know characters like Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman and Yvonne Craig's Batgirl to be in the mix somewhere, but that meant that I'd miss out on the fun of including obscure alternative versions, so I took the decision to allow some characters to be included multiple times.

All of that was before I started to figure out what source material I had available, and in what quality. I needed to find a five second clip of each heroine that was eye-catching, but worked as a stand-alone. For harder heroines I tried to include some clues in clip, like demonstrating a tell-tale super power or visual. In some cases I had to rip DVDs in order to get at the five seconds I wanted. So it took several days to compile the whole video, including cleaning up all the source material to make it look polished.

I have to admit though, for all the careful science I described above, #18 was put in there as an act of pure evil. :P

Edit: oh, and btw, if you go onto the video's YouTube page and give it a thumbs up, I think it helps in the rankings. Not sure how much that really helps to be honest, but it probably won't do any harm.

R5
Last edit: 02 Dec 2017 00:24 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321, Ravens_ghost, rednecko, Markiehoe

• five_red
More
03 Dec 2017 14:16 - 03 Dec 2017 14:22 #57463 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge

I too was stumped by a lot of the Asian ones and Number 40 in pink.

A great video and trip down memory lane.
Thanks for including #34 the western gal.
Give it a thumbs up on the You Tube page.
It helps the vid to come up in general searches.
Spread the word.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2017 14:22 by Markiehoe.

More
03 Dec 2017 16:28 #57465 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
I too got 37, with the bulk of my misses being the Asian ones.

More
03 Dec 2017 17:20 #57466 by WyseQuack
Replied by WyseQuack on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
Got 6 of the first 7, then it got more difficult. Got 32 total. Like a lot of the others here had trouble with the Asian ones (save Darna). Even with Darna I only recognize the character, I can't tell you which actress is playing her in a given clip, the way I can distinguish between the Melissa Benoist and Helen Slater versions of Supergirl, or the Lynda Carter and Gal Gadot versions of Wonder Woman.

Did not recognize Sandra Bullock until I saw her name mentioned in the other comments here. If I had I would have gotten that one - not because I remember Bionic Showdown directly, but because the Kate Mason character is a peripheral character in an ongoing fanfiction series I'm following, and the Bullock connection was mentioned in either the comments or author's notes for that. Also I was thinking the Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman franchise always represented people moving at super speed by showing them in slow motion with a certain specific sound effect.

More
05 Dec 2017 15:03 #57514 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
The answers .

A few notes:

I'm surprised someone didn't get #4, given that this was one of Marvel Comics' ventures into the Japanese market (the same initiative that presumably gave us the Japanese Spider-Man show.)

#29 has the distinction of very likely being the first superheroine to lead her own tv show anywhere in the world (as opposed to being a supporting character, like Yvonne Craig's Batgirl.)

#18 is exceptionally rare and I'm not surprised nobody got it, but some of you may have heard tell of another movie featuring its star, Pinky Montilla: the 1973 Supergirl movie (which I don't have any footage from, sadly.)

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• five_red
More
05 Dec 2017 16:52 #57516 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
I got Number 4!

More
05 Dec 2017 17:27 #57517 by lfan
I went 43/50.....nice job, R5! I should have gotten Fantastika as I think I even own a VCR copy of it.... :P

More
05 Dec 2017 18:22 - 05 Dec 2017 18:29 #57519 by Woodclaw
Unless my math is off, I got 41.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 18:29 by Woodclaw.

More
06 Dec 2017 15:39 #57534 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge
Wow - I never knew any footage from Greatest American Heroine existed. I thought it never got past the script phase. Cool compilation for sure.

More
06 Dec 2017 16:40 #57535 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic 50 Superheroines Challenge

Agent00Soul wrote: Wow - I never knew any footage from Greatest American Heroine existed. I thought it never got past the script phase. Cool compilation for sure.

The entire pilot is on the Greatest American Hero DVD set. I just double-checked and comments on the current complete season DVD set on Amazon mention it being there.

I can't seem to FIND by DVD set now, but I have it somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

More
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds