Amount

Music video

03 Mar 2018 02:13 #58740 by oliu99
Music video was created by oliu99
Some super feats here:

The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, WyseQuack, Markiehoe, Slim0926

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oliu99
  • oliu99's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2018 17:30 #58747 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Music video
This is an amazing bit of video. I had no idea what to expect when I started watching it, but the "Holy SHIT!!" factor just kept building to the end.

Talk about a lot of stuff happening in a few milliseconds. A contest with a Hunger Games kind of background vibe, designed to be watched by fans in ultra-slow motion. Neat. A very poignant ending.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, RD

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
03 Mar 2018 20:13 #58750 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Music video
I liked this ... but I was plagued by the different time factors at play here.

The most obvious is the faces on the screen that pops up while she's running. THey're moving in slow motion .... but not bullet time slow motion. They wouldn't have time to MOVE.

By a similar token, the barriers (the concrete poles, the hurdles) couldn't have possibly popped up in bullet time. Also if you're that much faster than a bullet why not just flick it out of the way? Rules of the game?

I would have had some kind of forcefield for the "save the daughter part" (else she not only has to "win" she has to win by fast enough that the barrier has time to raise.

The daughter MUST have super-speed, else she would not have had enough time to react to anything. If she doesn't the entire thing falls apart at the end.

I also don't see the ending as poignant. First rule: no body, no death. Also, if she's that fast she just has to move her head a bit (or put her hand up to take the hit). The entire video suffers from perspective problems (how far the bullet is ahead of her), so it doesn't seem like they mean for her to have enough time to move, but it does to me. In fact she STARES at it and actually moves her head a bit while it inches forward. Looks like plenty of time to get out of the way. Now she might die from the other injuries ... but she seems to have some resistance to injury too (no obvious broken bones/broken skin). The only damage we see is her cheek is _slightly_ scuffed.

Hell, she hit the concrete polls with MUCH harder force/area than the bullet will. That bullet will bounce off unless there is some protective barrier that pops up only when she's moving at full speed.

I took this as a random mother/daughter were captured, given super-speed and forced to take part in this event. That's why the mother didn't just punch the guy with the gun, and zip over to untie her daughter. There are probably super-speed traps to keep her from getting away with the daughter, nor is she skilled enough with her speed as she's just got it.

All in all the clip is much better than it's effects or physics. It evokes a strong mood and pulls you in. The time rate thing bugged me during the entire video though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

More
03 Mar 2018 20:56 #58753 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Music video

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I liked this ... but I was plagued by the different time factors at play here.

The most obvious is the faces on the screen that pops up while she's running. THey're moving in slow motion .... but not bullet time slow motion. They wouldn't have time to MOVE.

By a similar token, the barriers (the concrete poles, the hurdles) couldn't have possibly popped up in bullet time. Also if you're that much faster than a bullet why not just flick it out of the way? Rules of the game?

I would have had some kind of forcefield for the "save the daughter part" (else she not only has to "win" she has to win by fast enough that the barrier has time to raise.

The daughter MUST have super-speed, else she would not have had enough time to react to anything. If she doesn't the entire thing falls apart at the end.

I also don't see the ending as poignant. First rule: no body, no death. Also, if she's that fast she just has to move her head a bit (or put her hand up to take the hit). The entire video suffers from perspective problems (how far the bullet is ahead of her), so it doesn't seem like they mean for her to have enough time to move, but it does to me. In fact she STARES at it and actually moves her head a bit while it inches forward. Looks like plenty of time to get out of the way. Now she might die from the other injuries ... but she seems to have some resistance to injury too (no obvious broken bones/broken skin). The only damage we see is her cheek is _slightly_ scuffed.

Hell, she hit the concrete polls with MUCH harder force/area than the bullet will. That bullet will bounce off unless there is some protective barrier that pops up only when she's moving at full speed.

I took this as a random mother/daughter were captured, given super-speed and forced to take part in this event. That's why the mother didn't just punch the guy with the gun, and zip over to untie her daughter. There are probably super-speed traps to keep her from getting away with the daughter, nor is she skilled enough with her speed as she's just got it.

All in all the clip is much better than it's effects or physics. It evokes a strong mood and pulls you in. The time rate thing bugged me during the entire video though.

Agreed there are many things wrong, but it was still impressive by the standards of comic-book science.

My premise on the virtual audience was that they were seeing it in ultra-slow motion as we were, so the bullet took the better part of four minutes in their time frame (as it did in our timeframe viewing the clip) to travel the length of the course. So they could experience a number of facial expressions and emotions in four minutes. The fact that their faces were superimposed on the same image as the slow motion was the problem, but I chalk that up to creative license.

I agree that the daughter was operating in the same speeded up way as her mother. She saw the bullet coming and even leaned to the side to avoid it, which takes away much of the drama. She was never in any real danger and she only grew concerned when she saw her mother slowing. But we didn't know that until close to the end. But it's not surprising given she's her mother's daughter.

I accepted the obstacles blasting up from the floor. The control mechanism was operating at very high speed with explosive actuators, or whatever. Maybe a bit beyond plausible, especially the wood hurdles, but not the worst thing.

In many ways, a modern computer with advanced sensors could see the world this way. A bullet traveling at 1000 fps only travels a foot every millisecond. If the range was 100 feet, then that's a 100 milliseconds. A millisecond is a long time when the clock rate of a massively-parallel processor is clocking in the many GHZ range.

Inside such a small space, speed of light considerations for the sensors are minimized given light travels 186 miles per millisecond. So a large number of observations and calculations can be made during each foot of travel by the bullet.

My major time gripe is that the mother was obviously slowed down by the concrete barriers too much to reach the red button in time, given the bullet was already moving ahead of her before she hit them.

But then, this wasn't a science experiment. Within the fictional world of comicbook science, this was a pretty believable video, IMHO. Better than the stuff that shows each week on the Flash TV show.

By the way, I had a visiting Electromagnetic Fields professor back in college whose day job was to build sensors and telemetry systems for observing underground nuclear detonations. His sensors were quite close to the bomb -- buried in the same small cavity with the bomb, as well as staged down the access tunnel.. He was able to extract a lot of data before his gear was vaporized. His work was during the 70's, with VERY primitive technology compared to today. You can do a lot in a few milliseconds with the right equipment.

And yes, they left us with the belief that mother had sacrificed herself for daughter, but in reality, she could have dodged the bullet given her speed ability.

It also takes us back to the premise discussed in other threads that anyone with that strength and speed would have to be invulnerable to a bullet. Crashing through the concrete barriers unharmed would prove that all by itself.

Still... enjoyable, in my book anyway.

Shadar

• shadar
More
04 Mar 2018 19:48 #58767 by slim36

More
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds