Amount

A place to call our own...

Poll: How should the main city of the SWMU be called? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Port Uberston
3 10.7%
New Bylbos
No votes 0%
Victoria Bay
4 14.3%
Cape Hope
5 17.9%
Lodge City
1 3.6%
Megapoplis
2 7.1%
Crater City
3 10.7%
Newport
3 10.7%
Cape Steele
3 10.7%
Skyline
2 7.1%
Quantum City
2 7.1%
Minvera Beach
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 28 ( skate79, Venus_12, algae2k, jumperprime, pansardum ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
03 Oct 2013 03:54 - 12 Oct 2013 13:37 #33278 by Dru1076
A place to call our own... was created by Dru1076
The SWMU is on it's way...but it needs your help and support.

One thing we know for sure is that we need a name for the first SWMU city, and what members think the city should be like.

On behalf of the team, I'd like to ask for submissions on this. What do you think would make a good name for our city? And if you can manage a sentence or two about what you think the city should be like, that would much appreciated.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2013 13:37 by njae. Reason: Poll added
The topic has been locked.
  • Dru1076
  • Dru1076's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Oct 2013 07:10 - 03 Oct 2013 07:20 #33280 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic A place to call our own...
MEGALOPOLIS Ancient mixed with supertechnology like Atlantis was supposed to be. Sorry, that's all I have right now.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2013 07:20 by SCOTT R.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076
More
03 Oct 2013 10:54 #33281 by njae
Replied by njae on topic A place to call our own...

SCOTT R wrote: MEGALOPOLIS Ancient mixed with supertechnology like Atlantis was supposed to be. Sorry, that's all I have right now.

I'm not really sure this kind of name would make much sense in universe. This makes me think of Metropolis - which I consider the most unfitting fictional city name in the DCU (not that I know many of them). It perfectly describes the size of the city as opposed to it's counterpart Smallville, but let's be honest: Who would found a city and call it Metropolis?

In my opinion, the name should make some sense in universe. My first thought there was "Dream City" - since it will probably be located in the US it's founders could have intended to create the city of dreams withing the land of dreams. A few hundred years later reality wouldn't necessarily reflect that optimism since it probably has a crime rate to keep more than one superhero busy.

Another idea would be "Crater City" - founded in a valley that resembled an ancient crater. This could even tie in to a meta origin when it comes to what caused that crater thousands of years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, SCOTT R
More
03 Oct 2013 11:21 - 03 Oct 2013 11:56 #33282 by SCOTT R
You're right; my idea bites. The only other name I could think of was Hooters but that's been taken already. By the way, Metropolis was going to be a real city in the US proposed by King Gillette, the razor blade tycoon. It was going to be built and then powered by Niagara Falls in the early 20th century and house the bulk of the population of North America.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2013 11:56 by SCOTT R.
More
03 Oct 2013 11:41 #33283 by SCOTT R
FEMTOPIA perhaps?
More
03 Oct 2013 13:21 #33284 by castor
Replied by castor on topic A place to call our own...
Keep the names coming. These are both fine names, and will do a poll and vote for them in a little bit.
More
03 Oct 2013 13:24 #33285 by fats
Replied by fats on topic A place to call our own...
fatotopia or lfanotopia

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, SCOTT R
  • fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Oct 2013 14:33 #33286 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic A place to call our own...
Just a few off the top of my head:

- Quantum City

- New Quantum City

- Polar City

- New Tesla

- Ideal City

- New Pride

- Bancroft City (Named after a founder)

- Cape Hope

I know, some of them are lame and I don't have a fancy back story for them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, SCOTT R, Camille Jones
More
03 Oct 2013 15:24 - 03 Oct 2013 15:36 #33287 by SCOTT R
NEW METRO

SKYWAY

SKYLINE

SOLARIS

HUBCITY

ATLANTIA

QUAKE
Last edit: 03 Oct 2013 15:36 by SCOTT R.
More
03 Oct 2013 17:46 #33288 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic A place to call our own...
Off the top of my head, I think most cities (at least here in the US) are named either after the local geography, the Native American tribes who used to live there, the person who founded the city, or in honor of some politician or military leader. So I'm not in favor of names that seem too futuristic or sci-fi.

Of the ones mentioned in the thread so far, I think I like Cape Hope the most. Bancroft City is a good one, but then we'd have to figure out who Bancroft was lol. I'd also like Atlantia, except it's too much like Atlanta.

I think Cape ______ or Port _______ are good starting points (thx JD). They'd reference the geography, and I think a modern coastal city would be a good setting for this universe. Also, calling a place Cape something is a nice little nod to the capes and spandex that our girls will (hopefully!) be parading around in.
____

...Well, I just spent a few minutes trying to come up with some more options, but in the end I couldn't come up with anything better than Cape Hope. I think it fits perfectly, so instead of offering my own alternatives (which I planned to do when I started this post), I'll just throw in a vote for JD's idea. I think that's a winner of a name for this place. GJ man.
More
03 Oct 2013 21:09 #33291 by castor
Cape Lodge

Built in the mountions, Built in the giant Sequa wood, Lodge city is something that could be out a dream. Huge skyscrapters compete with 200 foot tall trees that grow in the dense cityscape. A mixture of art deco and post modern. Its a city that breathes.

Cape Lodge city was founded in 1790 when Spanish explores came to the small natural port built next to a forest. At first a spanish mission through most of the 19th century it was a fishing village and nothing more. Wealthy East coast businessman Spaniel Lodge Bought the land after the civil war, and dedicated it to hunting park leaving the mighty trees alone. The port slowly grew as a road and railroad brought in mining and agricultural goods from the center of the state.

In 1890 came the development that changed the city forever. Lodges Son Alexander died fairly suddenly of a typhoid outbreak and his two heirs His lover Sasha, and his Cousin Felix took it into two seperate directions. They split up the forest-but in a strange patchwork . Paper roads become actual roads, and plots of land where distributed with little regard to function. A lawyer brought them into a room, and this is what they agreed to. Why is not known. Both hated each other but not enough to loose it all in court.

over the next twenty years Sasha sold her land peicemail- at first to large estate but increasingly business intrest and factories. Felix, who was wealthy from other means kept most of his out of spite it was said-the pristine land of his boyhood untarnished. Sasha could not afford such sentiminet.

Which create a disconnect-for a city grew out of the harbor-tall buildings formed right next to small parks full of tall trees-and the buildinngs themselves seemed to mimic it, growing taller and taller, bigger and bigger to touch the sky through the forest mass. Felix Lodge died in 1934-however he gave all of the land to the fledgling national park service, which still controls the Redwood forest in the city in werid patches of 27 parks all around the center of town, and a large patch of mountion behind it. All together its only about twice as big as central park in new york but the randomness- the way the opera house is next to a creek, and deer cross busy intersections give the city a feel of the forest.

however This is just the core of the city. the city is built in a concentric circle a large harbor, its downtown and mountions-but behind it to the east a small hilly plain that in world war 2 became the scene of a giant boom, as dozens of factories where built to supply the war effort with bombers and air conditioners- as well as home for the workers and families that made it possible.

The city grew a reputation of a city of women-War brought women to the workforce, and they stayed in the city. Independent women stayed in the town and even after the wars end many of the factories kept large women work forces-strong women to grow the backs of labor. This was to a degree reputation-the population was never much more then 55/45 but it persisted. Lodge was the first large city in america in 1962 to elect a woman mayor, in 1975 to not only have a mayor but a majority of the city council. It became a city where women could grow in business, in finance-a safe place for them. While there where problems a plenty they grew with them.

And the city grew. After the war, the factories continued-boeyed by close relationship to timber and mines, industry continued and expanded-but in the 70s and 80s it also grew the reputation as a financial center, a computer programing center. Many popular softwares where developed in basements and garages, which built more skyscrapers in the park. While it never quite became new york it developed a tourism trade to see the forest, and the trees,with quaint restaurants and quirky shops.

However its not perfect. Particularly the north of downtown, which was developed as skyscrapers for wartime housing and warehousing has turned somewhat into a slum-a kind of rundown ghetto that has turned increasingly violent over the last two decades as drugs have come in. It is not without hope but hope is in short supply at somepoints-but that creates a weird contradiction. There seems to be the sense at points that gentrification-artist lofts and bohemia will all move in any day now. -but that seems to depress long time residents more. That will make it different, yuppiefied This area used to be a beacon of culture of vibrancy-but it will never quite be that again.

But Cape Lodge is pretty good-its a bit city with close to 6 million people in it. It has problems, heartaches, a pulse a breath. Its a city that you can show in awe, but in certain neigborhoods not want to be in at night. Its a good city.

That in 1978 something *happened*

(okay to be a little less poetic: Lodge city is about the size of Seatle or San Francisco-but in extreme north of California. Its basically what would happen if Eureaka Was a really big city)
More
04 Oct 2013 00:14 - 08 Oct 2013 12:37 #33296 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic A place to call our own...
Some really good suggestion so far.

I kinda like Crater cIty...I think I lived there once.

Fatotopia...nice one Fats.

If we keep getting responses like this we'll be able to run a poll in no time. Don't be shy...this is your city, so if something comes to mind we'd love to hear it.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 12:37 by Dru1076. Reason: Noonbess...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R
  • Dru1076
More
04 Oct 2013 03:41 #33302 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic A place to call our own...
Here's one from me:

Port Uberston

Industrialized coastal city, protected by a Navy installation and just twenty minutes from the largest army base in the hemisphere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R
  • Dru1076
More
04 Oct 2013 04:27 #33305 by SCOTT R
Uberville

Amazon Bay

Quantum City sounds the best to me so far. Superscience gone wild. Portals to any part of the universe. Time travel. Space travel of all kinds. Matter transformation. Endless. Crater City sounds interesting as well. Many people have fantasies about living in a giant hole in the ground.
More
04 Oct 2013 05:08 #33306 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic A place to call our own...
Titan Falls; though that sounds too much like Angel Falls.

Cape Steele; no relation to any of my characters, just like the sound of it.

Bah...I don't know. I'm horrible with names.
More
04 Oct 2013 06:18 #33307 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic A place to call our own...
Fort Herald

Port Telos

Minerva Beach

Victoria Bay

Luxeport

Joansport

Earnhardt Bay

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?
The following user(s) said Thank You: castor
More
04 Oct 2013 08:40 #33309 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic A place to call our own...
Victory Bay sounds pretty cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: castor
More
04 Oct 2013 10:21 #33310 by njae
Replied by njae on topic A place to call our own...
Looks like there are quite a few good suggestions there. This leads to the question of how many cities there will be in the end. Nothing against one city as a starting point, but I think that there would be more places to a universe. And it would be a waste of good ideas if only one of these suggestions would make it into the SWMU.
More
04 Oct 2013 14:53 #33312 by SCOTT R
FemWay
More
07 Oct 2013 14:06 #33366 by castor
Here is the 33 serious names we got so far:

Megapopolis

Femtopia

Quantum City

New Quantum City

Polar City

New Tesla

Ideal City

New Pride

Bancroft City (Named after a founder)

Cape Hope

NEW METRO

SKYWAY

SKYLINE

SOLARIS

HUBCITY

ATLANTIA

QUAKE

CAPE LODGE

Crater City

Port Uberston

Uberville

Amazon Bay

Titan Falls;

Fort Herald

Port Telos

Minerva Beach

Victoria Bay

Luxeport

Joansport

Earnhardt Bay

Victory Bay

Fem Way

Cape Steele

Were going to leave this open a couple more days so any more last minute suggestions are apreciated. Then we want to widdle this down, and put together a poll.

where going to come up with a list of 10{will try to get at least one from everyones suggestions).

Then will share it with the group and any one can say "But i want this one!"(but just one name) and will make sure its also on the voting list.

But in the meantime more names!!

Castor
More
07 Oct 2013 19:25 #33371 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic A place to call our own...
This list is pretty extensive. I think therevarebsome goodmideas and some bad ones in it (I will not name any), but I think that there's one bit we need to clarify. Are we looking for something thatbsound plausible to a point or are we going fo something completlynout of this world?
In other words are we looking for something that sound like Metropolis (a name that always sounded wrong to me) or we want something more in the vein of Keystone City.
More
07 Oct 2013 20:25 #33373 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic A place to call our own...
In my writings, Whenever I have to think up a city name- Instead of relying on my imagination, I refer to available...but forgotten names.

Old Biblical cities...Or Roman or Babylonian cities

To make the city sound modern...add "New" or "Port" Here is a few examples

Byblos
Antioch
Ephesus
Ekron
Sidon
Volterra

Now if you really want to reach deep....Study the history of the city and how it was destroyed and now you've got yourself some hidden foreshadowing. My 2 cents
The following user(s) said Thank You: pansardum
More
07 Oct 2013 23:52 - 07 Oct 2013 23:54 #33376 by SCOTT R
You came up with a great idea DKC. Combine two words you mentioned and you get New Port. It could have risen from the ashes of a nuclear war. A huge, modern, and cosmopolitan city. The center of trade and commerce. It can have a spaceport as well as a sea and airport. It's short, sweet and simple. And, it has a great beat and it's easy to dance to.

New Port
Last edit: 07 Oct 2013 23:54 by SCOTT R.
More
08 Oct 2013 01:18 #33377 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic A place to call our own...
Well, look at that! I'm an accidental Genius :silly:
More
08 Oct 2013 12:01 #33380 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic A place to call our own...
Not to be a party pooper, but New Port sound incredibly bland to me. It's not a bad name, by all means, just very generic and uninteresting. Except for a casual reference to some Mangas (Dominion Tank Police if I remember right), I just don't see the appeal of it.
More
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds