Amount

Living in interesting times

27 Feb 2015 19:10 - 27 Feb 2015 19:11 #40634 by shadar
Living in interesting times was created by shadar
I LOVED your Home page editorial this morning. Yes indeed, the amount and quality of content has never been higher than it is now (even more so, IN the immediate future). Not even close. So many people have labored to keep this genre of content alive, and now its going mainstream. Who'd have guessed.

As you say, some of us have been in this long before it was cool. Way before.

I have to say, you blew me away by remembering that the Aurora Universe started on the Amazons Arena BBS. That was BEFORE the Internet even existed. Back in the 1980's. In those days, you dialed up with a phone modem (at 300baud in the beginning) and connected to captive BBS software that ran on a single PC in someone's bedroom. It was terrible for graphic content but OK for unformatted text. For those of you who have, say 10 Mbps today, that was 0.00003 Mbps. A single picture of the kind we routinely share today would take weeks to transfer. Given you were lucky if your modem stayed connected for 30 minutes, it was impossible.

If you remember the original Alien movie (or Wargames), that's about 300 baud. Characters flow across the screen about the speed that you can read them, accompanied by beeps from the modem (if you left the speaker on).

Often you couldn't get into the BBS because the number of simultaneous users was a function of how many hardline phone lines the BBS operator was willing to pay for. Generally only a small handful. So when the lines were all busy (often the case with Amazon BBS), your PC would keep dialing and dialing (which tied up your home phone line, by the way) until someone dropped off and you were lucky to get a connection. You had to listen to the beeps and tones to know when it finally made connection and you could browse around. Also, you were lucky if it stayed connected long enough to download or upload a file. If anyone else picked up tahe phone in the house, it disconnected amid lots of yelling and shouting.

But the enthusiasm among fans was easily as high then as it is today. Maybe even more so given the scarcity of material and the challenges in distributing it.

Amazing how so many of those early efforts came and went, with many reincarnations. My AU came and went at least three times before I handed most of it over to Brantley for safe-keeping. Today we all gather here on SWM.

Payoff time.

Of course, to some of you, this probably sounds like your grandparents telling you that they walked five miles through the snow, back and forth to school each day (or whatever your local legends were). The difference is that this has all happened while some of us have maintained a near continuous focus on creating content. There is a well-worn path from the pre-Internet Amazons Arena BBS to the SWM.

It all started with Supergirl for me, and probably for many of you, and here we are, about to have Supergirl on TV. Amazing!

So if some of us are acting a bit obsessive about all this (like me!), please understand how long this has taken to get here. For me, 30+ years of writing this stuff and much longer since I became a fan.

Now I get to watch professionals with big budgets do it. I expect to enjoy the show greatly, but forgive me if I occasionally note that they are missing some key points. Or think they could do better. The show is going to be amazing in many ways, but nothing can match five decades of lucid dreaming and many thousands of hours writing over the last three decades about related topics.

All of which (for me) was inspired by one young lady from Krypton.

Shadar

(By the way, the Leave a Comment button at the bottom of the front page editorial doesn't work, so I started a new topic to reply.)
Last edit: 27 Feb 2015 19:11 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Feb 2015 19:26 - 27 Feb 2015 19:31 #40636 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Living in interesting times
Thanks for that, Shadar. I knew there were a few around here that remember the olden days of AABBS even if they don't care to remember it much! :)

It's an exciting time, and I just wanted to try and catalog all the fun stuff going on for ubergirl enthusiasts like ourselves as it has the potential to be rapid-fire uberness, come this fall! I just hope our community doesn't rely on the professionals to carry the genre from here on out, as I think a lot can agree that the "fantasy aspect" of the genre loses something in the mainstream. that's why we need the PSW's, the Wicked City Girls', the Castor's, the Shadar's the BionicSkillz's and all the other "genre producers", writers, artists, etc. to keep this stuff alive. I know it gets somewhat repetitive at times -- which is my theory of the lack of discussion -- but that's the challenge, to do a unique spin on it!

My hope is that the post would be a "call to arms" of sorts to promote more conversation from everyone, not just the handful of people that normally comment. We get close to 1000 unique visitors PER DAY on this site, and I understand people lurk, but even if every other person would post every other week, that would be a lot of green NEWs on the left hand rail!

Regarding the Comments, Fats I believe is working on that, so I'm glad you created the thread. At least one person read it! Woo-hoo!

ElF

shadar wrote: I LOVED your Home page editorial this morning. Yes indeed, the amount and quality of content has never been higher than it is now (even more so, IN the immediate future). Not even close. So many people have labored to keep this genre of content alive, and now its going mainstream. Who'd have guessed.

As you say, some of us have been in this long before it was cool. Way before.

I have to say, you blew me away by remembering that the Aurora Universe started on the Amazons Arena BBS. That was BEFORE the Internet even existed. Back in the 1980's. In those days, you dialed up with a phone modem (at 300baud in the beginning) and connected to captive BBS software that ran on a single PC in someone's bedroom. It was terrible for graphic content but OK for unformatted text. For those of you who have, say 10 Mbps today, that was 0.00003 Mbps. A single picture of the kind we routinely share today would take weeks to transfer. Given you were lucky if your modem stayed connected for 30 minutes, it was impossible.

If you remember the original Alien movie (or Wargames), that's about 300 baud. Characters flow across the screen about the speed that you can read them, accompanied by beeps from the modem (if you left the speaker on).

Often you couldn't get into the BBS because the number of simultaneous users was a function of how many hardline phone lines the BBS operator was willing to pay for. Generally only a small handful. So when the lines were all busy (often the case with Amazon BBS), your PC would keep dialing and dialing (which tied up your home phone line, by the way) until someone dropped off and you were lucky to get a connection. You had to listen to the beeps and tones to know when it finally made connection and you could browse around. Also, you were lucky if it stayed connected long enough to download or upload a file. If anyone else picked up tahe phone in the house, it disconnected amid lots of yelling and shouting.

But the enthusiasm among fans was easily as high then as it is today. Maybe even more so given the scarcity of material and the challenges in distributing it.

Amazing how so many of those early efforts came and went, with many reincarnations. My AU came and went at least three times before I handed most of it over to Brantley for safe-keeping. Today we all gather here on SWM.

Payoff time.

Of course, to some of you, this probably sounds like your grandparents telling you that they walked five miles through the snow, back and forth to school each day (or whatever your local legends were). The difference is that this has all happened while some of us have maintained a near continuous focus on creating content. There is a well-worn path from the pre-Internet Amazons Arena BBS to the SWM.

It all started with Supergirl for me, and probably for many of you, and here we are, about to have Supergirl on TV. Amazing!

So if some of us are acting a bit obsessive about all this (like me!), please understand how long this has taken to get here. For me, 30+ years of writing this stuff and much longer since I became a fan.

Now I get to watch professionals with big budgets do it. I expect to enjoy the show greatly, but forgive me if I occasionally note that they are missing some key points. Or think they could do better. The show is going to be amazing in many ways, but nothing can match five decades of lucid dreaming and many thousands of hours writing over the last three decades about related topics.

All of which (for me) was inspired by one young lady from Krypton.

Shadar

(By the way, the Leave a Comment button at the bottom of the front page editorial doesn't work, so I started a new topic to reply.)

Last edit: 27 Feb 2015 19:31 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bionicskillz

More
27 Feb 2015 19:39 #40638 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Living in interesting times
Thank you Lfan for your post.
I agree about everything.
I'm in the superhuman girls from 1994 and now is think is a great moment (plus Conceptfan return back !): I share your hopes and for my part i try to do my best.

SHTL

More
27 Feb 2015 19:46 #40639 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Living in interesting times
Yes these are interesting times.
I am proud to do my little bit writing for AC Comics FemForce.

I also like to support the video makers.
Just last night, before this subject was posted, I purchased and downloaded two PSW videos and enjoyed them both.
I plan on raiding his back catalog over the next few weeks.

Our best way to keep things going is to create and support other creators.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Random321

More
28 Feb 2015 01:16 #40651 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Living in interesting times
Holy crap! I'd not thought about Amazons Arena BS in a long time. I don't think I ever really participated in a discussion, though I read a lot of stories and things.

Fond memories.

And this is certainly an interesting time. Lots of choices and lots of chances. And technology is adapting to make it even easier for people to create things, which is bringing around even more diversity in the market. All good things.

I'm hoping that it's really that small market that will give us the best results -- fresh new tales and interesting characters.

More
28 Feb 2015 01:27 #40652 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Living in interesting times
I think a big point about all of this-is something basic. A couple of months ago there was a discussion-and someone pointed out i am being reductive here of word to the effect of "A woman liked that- that's impossible".

No.

I think the real reason for all of this-for Supergirl Et all...is that women are watching this. These shows these movies are going to sucseed based on Females audiences-and they do exist. More then 50 percent of movie goers are women. More then 50 Percent of Comic buyers to-Women do buy Supergirl, Wonder Women et all. The producers of them wan to do a show that speaks to them-and probabbly get a pretty good male audience as well.

And i think they can.

Women like to feel strong. Women like to feel powerful. The idea of a woman lifting the chrstyler building is appealing to a lot of women-the concept of women saving and fighting for the people they love is intresting to women-as is the fear they may hurt them. I think there are plenty of ways to explore this in fiction that attract large broad audiences and maybe hopefulyly more then "i got bit by a radioactive badger, now let me fight crime for 90 minutes" kind of ways.

As a writer and trying to get into producing this is something i think a lot of- but honestly looking back i don't feel bad about any of it- I Don't want to wallow to much in the Male Gaze-there have been i think sceezy stuff on here which i do think would turn off women-bu . Women like Sex, they like to feel sexy-i do think thats a nature of a power fantasy in its most basic level even for men. The Script i am working on is kind of all about sex(though also Pg-13:Its more about the effect of sex then actually showing it). there is ways approaching it that are intresting and clever-and don't make people Say oooooooooh.

I would say to Lfan and Fats-that can be a challenge-find more women on this forrum-or people who admit to it here. We have Jess and shes cool, but lets get more.

But regardless i am excited. Movies are coming and when they start coming could be kind of neat. Captian Marvel, Wonder Woman, etc-and thats the studio productions-the indies i always hold out hope. As for the web shows-i hope they can figure out a way to monotize it better- but keep at it. There have been a lot of fun comics: The indies you mentioned are fun. Spider Gwen has some intresting potential. And i have said before: Squirrel girl is pretty cool. TV wise i am curious about Powers, Alias sounds pretty neat, IZombie looks kind of fun, and Supergirl-well lets see If nothing else its makes Shadar working and if it sucseeds just in that i am happy.

So lets keep at it Maniacs-lets get out there. Lets make intresting stuff and keep up an intresting forrum. i have faith in you. Your good people.

More
06 Mar 2015 22:08 #40824 by lfan
As a followup to be diatribe, right now our "genre" has secured the lead story on Yahoo (at least my version) at this moment.......WOW!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Sarge395

More
06 Mar 2015 22:12 #40825 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Living in interesting times
Melissa Benoist is #9 on Twitter Trends Right now as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, mo

More
07 Mar 2015 00:28 #40833 by castor
Its intresting-a couple of years ago when i first came to the site there was a link to an article where the premise was

'SUPERGIRL;

Shes a character everyone thinks can carry a Movie or a comicbook but really can't'

(and in fairness: I kind of would have belived him)

Now I saw without hyperboble the most anticipated show of the fall.

More
30 Mar 2015 15:12 #41197 by lfan
If what I said in my diatribe wasn't enough, consider the ramifications of this tweet:

As of early Sunday morning, we NOW have a Supergirl TV show pilot.......

ElF

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
30 Mar 2015 16:07 #41200 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Living in interesting times
#kermitflail

This is also one of the junction points where CBS could choose to stop. Since we're not hearing that it's even better news.

I really want to see this.

More
30 Mar 2015 16:15 #41201 by castor
I would think they would want to see the cut with editng, music,Special effects(as etc-but well maybe they just want to see the rough cut.

In any case i would think it would have to be god awful for CBS to throw away the kind of publicity they have been getting for this show, so i am pretty confident this would get picked up.

But that said this is early Monday Morning on the west Coast so i bet they haven't seen anything yet.

More
30 Mar 2015 16:19 - 30 Mar 2015 16:21 #41202 by lfan

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: #kermitflail

This is also one of the junction points where CBS could choose to stop. Since we're not hearing that it's even better news.

I really want to see this.

Indeed! I'm not naive enough to think the cast and crew would tweet out "wow....that really sucked", but some of the comments on Twitter from the producers and directors have been pretty encouraging and have been getting a good bit of buzz on the Internet that I've seen. What I really love so far is that -- as a complete 180 from the WW pilot debacle -- is that CBS has a seasoned production team (producers, director) that KNOW how to pull this off, including winning the pre-release "trial by public opinion". IMO, WW not only had the wrong person (Kelley) running the ship, but they also lost the PR battle right out of the gate with poorly planned promo releases and set leaks.

While frustrating to some fans, it's quite impressive that relatively very little has been leaked on the internet. While the costume photos admittingly weren't a great quality promo shot (but was probably done quickly as a "defensive move" the day before shooting began), it's unbelievable that not one other shot of her in costume has leaked SOMEWHERE. Even the tweets that spoiled plot points
Warning: Spoiler!
have been removed quite quickly, as if they are policing and controlling the dissemination of all this stuff. I think that bodes better in the long-term for people that want to see the show succeed.

ElF
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 16:21 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
30 Mar 2015 16:22 #41203 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Living in interesting times
PF has finished but there is still a ton to do, SF, Foley, re-shoots, editing, colour grading... the list is long so i would not expect a rough cut to appear for some time yet, and once the execs and focus groups see the article then and only then will we know if it's going to be released.

mid September would the latest that i would expect to see any rough cuts.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
30 Mar 2015 17:21 - 30 Mar 2015 17:24 #41204 by castor

fats wrote: PF has finished but there is still a ton to do, SF, Foley, re-shoots, editing, colour grading... the list is long so i would not expect a rough cut to appear for some time yet, and once the execs and focus groups see the article then and only then will we know if it's going to be released.

mid September would the latest that i would expect to see any rough cuts.

fats

You are absolutely right-a real cut is probably not going to be done until maybe September.

But that said-there is no way they could do that and a show for the 2015/2016 season even (as i kind of suspect) its going to debut realtivly late in the year.

So i suspect what there going to half to do is watch a rough cut-which i think could tell them useful things.If it is horrible-a rough cut will generally tell that. If there is a major casting mistake-agian tell that -if theres a major plot point that doesn't work-well who knows.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 17:24 by castor.

More
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds