Amount

SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!

01 May 2011 04:15 #22928 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
I've only written the first chapter. I think I should have something by the deadline... but I don't expect my entry to be terribly long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
01 May 2011 12:02 #22931 by CavemanNinjaJoe
Replied by CavemanNinjaJoe on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Still going, though not nearly as fast as I'd like. As at the time of writing this, I am *goes to check* 7,514 words in, just hitting the first major action sequence, and not even halfway done - probably closer to a third. I may be able to get it done by the deadline (just), but I doubt I'll have time for re-drafts, so it probably won't be very pretty...

Well, back to it!

More
01 May 2011 13:20 #22932 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
I'm still working on the first part, but since I don't plan to make it very long to begin with I hope to be able to finish it in time (3000 words and counting right now).

More
01 May 2011 15:47 #22933 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
In recognition to the efforts put forward by a select few individuals of this new and improved SWM site. I will not say I will particapate in the SWM workshop, I will Make sure I particpate in the new SWM Workshop. I'm 50 pages in and going strong....Thanks for all your efforts!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, angels, Sarge395

More
01 May 2011 17:56 #22936 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Awesome DKC! Just a reminder that we still have another month to go so hopefully plenty of those behind or not even started. For newbies, it does not have to be a 50 page monster like DKC's -- though we love volume!

Elf

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 May 2011 22:06 #22938 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
I'm nowhere near as far along as DKC; only about 7,000 words written so far, which I think is somewhere between a third and half of the story. Since there's still the rest of the month to go though, I'm confident that I'll be able to get it finished or at least enough done for it to be readable.

I look forward to seeing the end results when everybody's done.

More
01 May 2011 23:28 #22939 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
I've got a couple of half finished Ursa/Faora stories in the hopper. I'll try to complete one and submit.

Personally, as you saw with the little vignette I posted on another topic (favorite super powers), I've become very interested in Faora as a multi-dimensional character. Not just as a bad girl (although she opposes most of what Superman does and kicks his ass), but as someone with a complex personality who has a personal mission (and not just self-grandizement) that involves Earth.

Question for this group on something I'm conflicted about: Should General Zod appear, or should this primarily be Faora opposing Kal El?

Either way, I will likely involve a younger Kryptonian girl who is Faora's supporter, and include Supergirl on Kal's side. Zod is the only character I'm conflicted about. Ursa, as depicted in the movie, needs Zod. But Faora, as depicted in the comics, is her own woman. In a sense I'm testing the waters of the comics Faora versus movie version Ursa.

I was introduced to Faora early on in an old comic book (that I can no longer find) where she is standing naked in a stream-fed pond and is enticing a young man to approach her. They kiss, and she gradually hugs him tighter and tighter until his ribs crush against "the steel of her own", and he drowns in his own blood before she drops his crushed body to sink in the pool. That was a powerful mage for me, and very daring for the comics thirty or so years ago, but it established Faora as a man-hater with full Kryptonian powers. I would also portray her as a lesgian (they couldn't do that back then).

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
02 May 2011 03:26 #22942 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Sounds very cool, Shadar. I don't know that much about Faora, but I like what I've seen so far. Her loyalty to Zod was always my only complaint about Ursa.

I just went back and re-read the 700 word prologue I've written so far, wondering if I can write a few thousand words of story in the next month with everything else going on in my life, and I realized something. Given the theme of the workshop, I could probably get away with submitting just the prologue that I've written so far, with nothing else. It's not that exciting (no super powers have even appeared yet), but it would definitely let you know what the story's about, if I ever get around to writing it, so it goes along with the "New Beginnings" theme.

I'll think about it. I'll also think about trying to squeeze in some writing time, but I doubt if I'll be able to write enough in the next month to satisfy myself.

More
02 May 2011 09:39 #22945 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Geez I feel guilty. I have been trying to decide between two stories and I can't make up my mind. I did write a little scene for chapter 24 of TSOS, but Argo is currently working on his story and not Chapter 24.

In the meantime, I have spent several hours today working on a small article for publication as a favor for a friend and the deadline on that is coming up shortly and unlike our workshops of old, there will be no chance of an extension.

Once again, I need to get off my ass and get started!

More
02 May 2011 14:31 #22947 by oldHarmonyMotion
Well it's 1:30 AM and I'm writing now.

It'd be funny to livestream this :P

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
02 May 2011 17:14 #22948 by somat
Replied by somat on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
I would try to find more "your" Faora, even when it makes little sense in the short term of releasing a new story, within the contest, it could make sense if you plan on extending the story/plotline afterwards.

It's probably not needed to portray her as a manhating lesbian(but instead give her the cruelty and unscrupulousness of a superbeeing whom thinks she can act this way because of her powers)

The true question in terms of building up a foundation for the character is more why she has come to earth, if Krypton still would exist, she could like prepare some sort of contact, between her race and the humans.
Superman and Supergirl want to prevent that, because they think earthlings should decide themselves if they want "contact". All 3 characters could know a lot more about Krypton and alien civiliziations than they are willing to tell to the earthlings, you could give hints by having them say at one point something like, "you are not ready for that" or "you must find out for yourself".

Faeora sets a trap for superman(daunts him to fly into a black hole), supergirl is left on her own. Battle between our favourite comic book character and her foes can start, with the outcome deciding the future of Earth..

Ok more than 2 cents to throw into, I'm aware of that. I'm not that familiar with General Zod or the superman comics in general, to comment on this or make any kind of suggestion. But supergirl on her own against several bad superbeeings is a mouth-watering scenerio for sure.

As always the prospect of a new story by you makes me instantly excited, and productive- sometimes I truly wonder how you manage to have this affect on me?!B)

Greetings

somat
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
03 May 2011 20:17 #22955 by naked.superpower
Replied by naked.superpower on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Hi! I wanted to participate. I just submitted a story "Clipping bushes". Can it be in?
It is actually written especially for the NEW BEGINNINGS and I forgot to write it there at the top. If you accept it could you pls write it there?

• naked.superpower
More
04 May 2011 01:55 #22956 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
I may possibly have a rendered Supergirl comic book to offer up.

Something I have commissioned.

This also is a test to see if I can reply.

• Sarge395
More
07 May 2011 13:44 #23018 by oldHarmonyMotion
Well, I managed to get to a pathetic 1000 words.

Now I remember why I don't write more

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
07 May 2011 13:54 #23019 by Woodclaw

goobers wrote: Well, I managed to get to a pathetic 1000 words.

Now I remember why I don't write more

1000 words are fine in my opinion, not every story in a works have to be miles long.

More
07 May 2011 14:16 #23020 by oldHarmonyMotion
Oh, I'm not done yet. Writing is just really hard.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
08 May 2011 11:58 #23031 by martinblasick
Replied by martinblasick on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Count me in for this one. 500 words so far toward a goal of 2500. It's meant to be chapter one of the Cher Noble story. I went and studied up about word count to see what constitutes a short story, novellete, novella and novel. Ubergirl stuff has me motivated. :woohoo:

I wrote a song that's an ode to super breath last week called "I'll Blow You Away". The track is nearly done; then Natasha will add her vocals. Songs and scripts are my normal thing so prose is a bit of a challenge.

Novel over 40,000 words, typically 80-100,000 words
Novella 17,500 to 40,000 words
Novelette 7,500 to 17,500 words
Short story under 7,500 words

Sci Fi counts from another site:

---> hard sf = 90k to 110k
---> space opera = 90k to 120k
---> epic/high/traditional/historical fantasy = 90k to 120k
---> contemporary fantasy = 90k to 100k
---> romantic SF = 85k to 100k
---> urban fantasy = 90k to 100k
---> new weird = 85k to 110k
---> slipstream = 80k to 100k
---> comic fantasy = 80k to 100k
---> everything else = 90k to 100k
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

More
09 May 2011 07:57 #23048 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Oof, made it past the 5000 words mark. What I hope will be a major action scene is next. Still not sure how much further I have to go.

- GeekSeven

More
19 May 2011 05:56 #23208 by inactive
Okay, 7000 words on my new story, but work is kicking my ass so hard right now I can't even think.

I have a backup story that needs an ending, which might be the way to go.

Maybe this weekend...

- GeekSeven

More
19 May 2011 08:12 #23212 by oldHarmonyMotion
Ugh, I'm still at my 1000. Work has been terrible, I just had my wisdom teeth out, going to try to grind some out tonight

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
19 May 2011 10:46 - 19 May 2011 10:47 #23214 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
Novel over 40,000 words, typically 80-100,000 words
Novella 17,500 to 40,000 words
Novelette 7,500 to 17,500 words
Short story under 7,500 words

Wow! I think The Supergirl of Smallville is well over 50K now and will most likely end up at 80-100K.
I never thought I would have any involvement in writing a novel.

Maybe tomorrow I will start on my story if I can decide which one to write!
Last edit: 19 May 2011 10:47 by ace191.

More
19 May 2011 12:43 #23218 by Woodclaw
Wow, I don't know what got into me, but I was able to reach 12000 words yesterday and this is about 2/3 of the story (maybe a little more). Now all I need is someone to check my grammar.

Any volunteer?

More
19 May 2011 19:18 #23221 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!

Anon wrote: Wow, I don't know what got into me, but I was able to reach 12000 words yesterday and this is about 2/3 of the story (maybe a little more). Now all I need is someone to check my grammar.

Any volunteer?

Did I get fired? :D

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 May 2011 05:34 #23229 by SophiePortmane
Replied by SophiePortmane on topic Re: SWM Workshop 'Spring 2011' is ON!
4000 but it's going nowhere..

More
23 May 2011 06:09 #23231 by inactive
Okay, just re-submitted an entry for the workshop. It's not the story I intended to do, which is still in progress, but the next week is going to be taken up with travelling and funeral stuff so I probably won't be able to finish that.

My submission is a superheroine origin story, which could be the first chapter of an ongoing saga.

- GeekSeven

More
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds