Amount

Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas: DEADLINE extended 11/30

30 Aug 2011 19:35 #24624 by lfan
As winner of the Spring 2011 workshop, DKC will have the privilege of picking the new workshop topic. He has kindly requested others to suggest topics they'd like to see, and he'll possibly select from that list. Please feel free to add your suggestions here to this thread...

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
30 Aug 2011 20:05 #24625 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
The bar fight in Dr. Muttonchops' latest story made me think that "A super-woman walks into a bar" might be a fun theme for a workshop -- especially if we revive the 1,000-word story format.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JLeeY98

More
30 Aug 2011 20:34 #24626 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
Sounds good to me. Bottles flying, juke box lifted and thrown, men getting slid down the long bar....

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
31 Aug 2011 00:05 #24627 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
During the last months I had several ideas flying around my head there are a couple.

Superwoman on TV: this was partially inspired by the Mighty Woman teaser clip and the leaked Wonder Woman pilot. The basic idea is to have a superwoman on national television, she can be real (in the story universe) or fictional at the author discretion

Whta happens next: ok, this is rather loose idea, simply put one author (DKC in this case) will provide a couple of line defining an event and every other author will proceed from there. Dusty used the same format for one of his Mankillers contest.

More
31 Aug 2011 01:17 #24628 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
How about ‘Super Woman at Work’, a series of stories about superwoman trying to survive in the workplace (either as themselves or their alter egos)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Supergirlfan

More
31 Aug 2011 05:15 #24631 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
I like everything that's been suggested so far.

My only thoughts were these. Not sure if they are open-ended enough.

Pushed To The Limit: A superwoman is faced with a threat that forces her to use her powers in a way she has never had to before, with unexpected consequences.

Her Day Off: A superwoman decides to take a day off from her responsibilities to attend to her friends, family, love life, or cat. Unfortunately, it seems the world has other plans for her.

Through The Looking Glass: A superwoman visits a parallel dimension, or is visited by somebody from a parallel dimension, where things look familiar, but are very different.

Out of Time: A superwoman travels backwards in time and must find a way back, or make a new life for herself in a period where women are supposed to know their place, which is not in the sky.

- GeekSeven

More
31 Aug 2011 07:57 #24634 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas

The Highlander wrote: How about ‘Super Woman at Work’, a series of stories about superwoman trying to survive in the workplace (either as themselves or their alter egos)?

To this day, I remember an Action Comics story that was probably from DC's late-60s goofy period where Superman had to keep use his powers surreptitiously while dressed as Clark Kent. By the end of the story, he had never appeared in costume, and the writer pointed out that it was the first time they'd ever done that. A similar story in a supergirl's workplace might be fun.

More
31 Aug 2011 08:49 #24635 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
Once again, I’m thrilled with the reception Milani in DC got. Thanks for the votes! Milani in DC was really fun to write and although I’m excited to start writing again, I can’t guarantee when that’ll be. For me, nothing is more relaxing than waking up, making my coffee, going outside on the patio and typing away under a hot sun. But we all have to work, and my summer is over. I will definitely make the attempt to participate in the Fall WS but I can’t guarantee that, that will happen. So, I think it could be fun to have a vote on what the next WS will be. I suggest that the top 5 people with the most votes in the last WS, suggest 1 topic each, and the rest of us vote to decide what that topic would be… from the 5 choices………How about it?

More
31 Aug 2011 18:56 #24639 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas

d_k_c wrote: Once again, I’m thrilled with the reception Milani in DC got. Thanks for the votes! Milani in DC was really fun to write and although I’m excited to start writing again, I can’t guarantee when that’ll be. For me, nothing is more relaxing than waking up, making my coffee, going outside on the patio and typing away under a hot sun. But we all have to work, and my summer is over. I will definitely make the attempt to participate in the Fall WS but I can’t guarantee that, that will happen. So, I think it could be fun to have a vote on what the next WS will be. I suggest that the top 5 people with the most votes in the last WS, suggest 1 topic each, and the rest of us vote to decide what that topic would be… from the 5 choices………How about it?

I'm not crazy about limiting the pool of suggestions like that.

- GeekSeven

More
31 Aug 2011 22:24 #24641 by Woodclaw

DietSnapple71 wrote:

d_k_c wrote: Once again, I’m thrilled with the reception Milani in DC got. Thanks for the votes! Milani in DC was really fun to write and although I’m excited to start writing again, I can’t guarantee when that’ll be. For me, nothing is more relaxing than waking up, making my coffee, going outside on the patio and typing away under a hot sun. But we all have to work, and my summer is over. I will definitely make the attempt to participate in the Fall WS but I can’t guarantee that, that will happen. So, I think it could be fun to have a vote on what the next WS will be. I suggest that the top 5 people with the most votes in the last WS, suggest 1 topic each, and the rest of us vote to decide what that topic would be… from the 5 choices………How about it?

I'm not crazy about limiting the pool of suggestions like that.

I agree with DietSnapple.

More
01 Sep 2011 03:25 #24644 by argonaut
Me, too. Some of the runners-up might not have an idea for a theme, or not particularly care, while other members might have good suggestions. I propose that anyone with an idea for a workshop theme add it to this thread by, say, September 9. Then d_k_c can either pick one or set up a poll.

More
01 Sep 2011 10:46 #24646 by d_k_c
Either way works - I do like diet snaps idea of through the looking glass. But as I said, I can't guarantee my participation so I'd rather have the forum decide on the next topic.

More
02 Sep 2011 00:06 #24654 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
Here's one that needs to be done but hasn't been done yet: ubergirl fanfiction fanfiction.

Basically, the contest is to write a fanfic based on your favorite story from the SWM universe. You get to take your favorite character from someone else's story and put them in your own universe (or continue the author's unfinished plotline) without having to bother with the whole "asking the original author for permission or wondering what their intent was thing."

Do you ever wonder what happened to Shadar's Aurora / DKC's Infinity Girl / LF's SuperJen / Ace's Liberty Belle / Julievelor's Denise / My Serena / etc etc etc etc after the original author crapped out on their "to be continued" promise? Now is your chance.

(* Sorry, I know I'm just adding to the confusion, but I think my idea really is the best one :P )
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, somat

More
02 Sep 2011 00:39 #24655 by Woodclaw

yohashuan wrote: Here's one that needs to be done but hasn't been done yet: ubergirl fanfiction fanfiction.

Basically, the contest is to write a fanfic based on your favorite story from the SWM universe. You get to take your favorite character from someone else's story and put them in your own universe (or continue the author's unfinished plotline) without having to bother with the whole "asking the original author for permission or wondering what their intent was thing."

Do you ever wonder what happened to Shadar's Aurora / DKC's Infinity Girl / LF's SuperJen / Ace's Liberty Belle / Julievelor's Denise / My Serena / etc etc etc etc after the original author crapped out on their "to be continued" promise? Now is your chance.

(* Sorry, I know I'm just adding to the confusion, but I think my idea really is the best one :P )

I think that this idea has been around for a long time, but it's very problematic.
See, on one hand I think that tons of us will be thrilled by the chance of writing a piece about another author character, but on the other this can be scary as hell, since you're going to mess up with things from someone else imagination (big invasion of personal space in my book).

More
02 Sep 2011 01:04 #24658 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas

Anon wrote: I think that this idea has been around for a long time, but it's very problematic.
See, on one hand I think that tons of us will be thrilled by the chance of writing a piece about another author character, but on the other this can be scary as hell, since you're going to mess up with things from someone else imagination (big invasion of personal space in my book).

I think it would be ok, as long as the original authors agree to have their stories used for this contest. This would also limit the pool of stories to choose from.

More
02 Sep 2011 04:16 #24662 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
I think taking someone else's character out for a test drive would be fun.

Anyone who wants to take Aurora for a ride is welcome...

By the way, here's a recent picture of Aurora, taken at a secret rooftop meeting. She's gazing out over the cityscape as the author approaches close enough to talk.

Whatever could you be meeting to talk about? (She doesn't exactly reveal herself to just anyone.) Perhaps some personal revelation given she knows you are writing a story about her? Some secret to share?

And what about her new "uniform"? Does it even have a top? Or has she reverted to Velorian native standards where its considered impolite to cover one's breasts when meeting an important person?

If so, that's likely to make it difficult to focus on her face once she does turn around. Not to mention to look up at her face. (Note the railing, which by requirement would be at or above waist height for a person of normal height. But not with her long legs.)

Anyway... I've always enjoyed sharing my characters. Its always fun to see them from another's perspective, even if what ultimately gets written isn't entirely true to character.

What is true is that every person has different aspects. Those of us who create characters see one set of attributes, but there are always others. Women are complex and changeable. Superwomen even more so.

Shadar

velorian.net/aurora.jpg

• shadar
More
02 Sep 2011 06:44 - 02 Sep 2011 06:47 #24666 by yohashuan
I think that if anyone is going to get uptight about having someone write a clearly labeled "fanfiction" starring their character, then they need to take the stick out of their butt and go smoke a joint. No one is revising your canon you pretentious weenie, it's fanfic all the way, baby. :)

I would be very surprised if anyone was anything other than extremely flattered. But just to be safe, we can make it so you have to call it beforehand and get permission and ruin the surprise of it all, etc etc etc. Or we can just have people raise their hand in the forums, and then keep a master list of usable characters. It would eliminate people being able to take characters from stories written by inactive members, but it seems like a way to avoid potential crybabies. XD

I thought about the issue before I made the post, but assumed it would be a non-issue. I just wonder if it's really so important to be so cautious and legalistic on a fun-loving weirdo fetish website like ours' anyway.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 06:47 by yohashuan.

More
02 Sep 2011 08:18 #24670 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
I like Yosh's idea....we might finally get to see more Serena then :p. Seriously, If anyone wanted to use any of my girls, I'd be flattered

Elf

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Sep 2011 12:41 #24674 by Woodclaw

yohashuan wrote: I think that if anyone is going to get uptight about having someone write a clearly labeled "fanfiction" starring their character, then they need to take the stick out of their butt and go smoke a joint. No one is revising your canon you pretentious weenie, it's fanfic all the way, baby. :)

I would be very surprised if anyone was anything other than extremely flattered. But just to be safe, we can make it so you have to call it beforehand and get permission and ruin the surprise of it all, etc etc etc. Or we can just have people raise their hand in the forums, and then keep a master list of usable characters. It would eliminate people being able to take characters from stories written by inactive members, but it seems like a way to avoid potential crybabies. XD

I thought about the issue before I made the post, but assumed it would be a non-issue. I just wonder if it's really so important to be so cautious and legalistic on a fun-loving weirdo fetish website like ours' anyway.

Ok, perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I actually love your idea Yosh and I will be really thrilled to try to write something for it. I just wanted to make clear that there are some string attached.

More
02 Sep 2011 22:35 #24684 by yohashuan
Thanks, I hope I didn't come across as mean. Was trying to funny, but often fail when I try too hard like that. I do agree there are some potential dangers, but I think it would be safe enough. Anyway, it's really DKC's call and there are a ton of other good (and less problematic) ideas proposed in the thread. Maybe I should just try to win this next contest and propose the fanfic fanfic theme when I have the power. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: argonaut

More
03 Sep 2011 02:31 #24689 by argonaut
I think asking the author's permission is a courtesy rather than a legal matter. I can't imagine any of us saying "no." Besides, a fanfiction typically features characters that the author didn't invent anyway.

More
03 Sep 2011 02:44 - 03 Sep 2011 02:44 #24690 by Hughster
Replied by Hughster on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
I have always been interested in "A day in the life" stories. Those deal with both work and other parts of the days. Including romantic & work relationships.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2011 02:44 by Hughster.

More
03 Sep 2011 02:56 #24691 by sgfan05
Replied by sgfan05 on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
Of the suggestions so far, a day in the life of a superwoman sounds cool to me. For my own suggestion,

Superwomen meet for the first time: This could be the first time Supergirl meets Wonder Woman, or an evil superwoman meets her goody too-shoes counterpart. I'd think it gives writers a lot of options, only requirement a superwoman has to meet another for the first time.

More
12 Sep 2011 23:57 #24779 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Fall 2011 Workshop Ideas
DKC....you out there? I think we've milked all the suggestions from the users, so you now get the spoils of your victory by picking one! It shouldn't matter if you are gonna participate (though we hope you do!), but you get to choose! Get stepping!! :)

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Sep 2011 05:08 #24783 by d_k_c
Of all of the ideas I like Diets "Through the looking glass" – Basically any hero somehow falls into another dimension where the same people exist but the world is very much different.

And Yosh’s “Continuum” The continuation of any story on SWM or any others.

So how about we do a “What If” Work Shop….Its probably been done before But its always fun to do. I think the “What If” concept encompasses both Yosh’s and Diets ideas….Sound good?

More
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds