Amount

Spring 2012 is now CLOSED

02 May 2012 02:53 - 19 May 2012 15:56 #27150 by fats
Spring 2012 is now CLOSED was created by fats
hi all,

yes it's true the spring workshop is now open with four FIVE new stories, please use this topic to discuss the stories.

I've added the poll as i wont be around on friday the poll will end on the 10th May 2012

Fats
Last edit: 19 May 2012 15:56 by fats.
The topic has been locked.
  • fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 May 2012 03:33 #27151 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
I thought I had submitted
More
02 May 2012 06:03 #27153 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
You DID, D_K_C (and an excellent submission it is!)....I posted it live just now and is reflected in the box on the homepage! Sorry for the error on our part!

ElF
More
02 May 2012 06:18 #27154 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
Thank you to lfan and fats for all of your hard working keeping the workshop going!

- GeekSeven
More
02 May 2012 13:00 #27158 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN

DietSnapple71 wrote: Thank you to lfan and fats for all of your hard working keeping the workshop going!

What he said.

Actually I'm very sad not to participate this workshop but, as I said, my entry is taking me too long to finish. I'm not sure I would be able to finish it even with the customary one week extension.
More
03 May 2012 08:13 #27163 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
I've only read Lex Appeal but it was pretty good. Super strong country girl in Daisy Dukes is a pretty awesome image.
More
04 May 2012 09:47 #27181 by inactive
Will there be a poll on the front page? If it's just on this topic thread, I worry that it will get buried.

- GeekSeven
More
04 May 2012 21:25 #27183 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
Thanks to all writers, i voted for Rip Harden but i dreamed about some more impressive lifts from the girls in the story after reading in "Strenght numbers" about that "island lift"....maybe next story posted Rip about Jenna or other story soon to post?
Ennio
More
05 May 2012 04:28 #27184 by Rip Harden
Replied by Rip Harden on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN

superhumanteenlover wrote: ....maybe next story posted Rip about Jenna or other story soon to post?
Ennio

Never too soon, Ennio, and I think I have a better one than the girls with their 'island' - I'll try and work it into the next story.
;)
Rip

"Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable." - Oscar Wilde
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL
More
05 May 2012 08:03 #27186 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
Thanks to all the authors who contributed!

It's close for me between G7 and njae. But of course I have a conflict of interest toward njae's work.

G7, have you contacted Cf about your sequel? I think you did it great justice!
  • oldHarmonyMotion
More
05 May 2012 08:38 #27187 by inactive

goobers wrote: G7, have you contacted Cf about your sequel? I think you did it great justice!

I have not and I don't know where I would start.

Thank you. I'd like to think I did right by his story, but you never know.

- GeekSeven
More
05 May 2012 16:38 #27189 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
It's great to read all the entries. Some really great stories and I'll probably comment more on them all later, but I'll just take this opportunity to thank everybody involved in the workshop, particularly the writers and administrators, but also to everybody who reads and votes.
More
05 May 2012 20:07 #27192 by inactive
I think this was a good workshop. Congratulations to all of the authors and thank you again to the administrators.

As to my favorite, I am torn between 'Super Secret Agent' and 'Blind Date'.

With JKIJ's story, you can imagine that what he describes is happening behind the scenes in every Bond movie. How is it that the bad guys are such bad shots, while Bond always hits his target? Now we know why. Imaginative, well-paced, and I always love a showdown on a submarine.

Njae gave us another imaginative story - a take on the human/super relationship that hasn't been done before, and an insight into an ubergirl who takes less pleasure from her complete superiority than you might think.

Good stuff.

- GeekSeven
More
06 May 2012 04:02 #27201 by inactive
In case you haven't noticed, fats has very kindly changed my username to match my author name. DietSnapple71 (a name I never expected to post under when I registered with it 7 years ago) is no more. Now it's all geekseven all the time.

- GeekSeven
More
07 May 2012 01:29 #27221 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
Great workshop everyone. Big thanks to everone involved, beginning with lfan and fats who make this workshop possible, the fellow authors and beta readers and anybody who motivated them. This of course includes the readers as well.

As for the stories themselves, they're all great and with the workshop theme this far-spread it boils down to personal tastes as to which one to prefer. My personal favorite would be Lex Appeal since it managed to positively surprise me in several ways by hinting certain tropes only to subvert them eventually.
More
07 May 2012 02:33 - 07 May 2012 02:33 #27222 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN

geekseven wrote: With JKIJ's story, you can imagine that what he describes is happening behind the scenes in every Bond movie. How is it that the bad guys are such bad shots, while Bond always hits his target? Now we know why. Imaginative, well-paced, and I always love a showdown on a submarine.

That was exactly my intention. I really wanted it to fit in as the sort of thing that is going on in any Bond movie you like. I'm glad I managed to get that across and that you enjoyed the story.
Last edit: 07 May 2012 02:33 by JKIJ.
More
07 May 2012 06:14 - 07 May 2012 06:16 #27226 by Rip Harden
Replied by Rip Harden on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
If you live in a country as I do where the State will fine you for failing to exercise your right to vote, you become accustomed to choosing the least worst option. If I can put all modesty aside, I must say that the five submissions in this workshop are of such quality that choice is difficult, perhaps more like the subjective grading of elite divers, gymnasts, bodybuilders or even beauty queens: each may be a worthy winner but in the end one is chosen based upon how the story reaches into the minds of the collective membership.

So with that I congratulate everyone associated with the workshop and consider myself honoured to have taken part.

Also as it looks like Blind Date will finish as the most popular, can I say that as I read it, I kept seeing in my mind's eye Tom Hanks and Drew Barrymore in the lead roles. Visualise it if you might - it really works for me! Of course a story of romance and redemption will always go down well. They are difficult to write and even harder to be done with quality. Njae has nailed it here.

Then again I liked them all. Well done.

cheers

"Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Last edit: 07 May 2012 06:16 by Rip Harden.
More
07 May 2012 06:42 #27227 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
I was able to set aside some time this weekend to finish reading the workshop entries. I'll try to post individual feedback within the next couple of days, but for now I just want to say that these are all well written and well crafted stories. Choosing a favorite will come down to deciding which author created the kind of superwoman I most enjoy reading about -- which means that the coveted Argonaut vote is leaning toward ...

Many thanks to the authors, and to the administrators.
More
07 May 2012 11:32 #27233 by deathgeonous
Replied by deathgeonous on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
I'll be honest, my hands down favorite was Blind Date. Mainly because it was a somewhat, refreshing, look at an Uber Girl. In my own humble opinion of course, which is all that matters, to me at least. Hehe.
More
07 May 2012 13:44 #27234 by Woodclaw
I agree with the generalbsentiment: this workshop has some of the best entries in a while and choosing proved very difficult. I want to write some more detailed feddback but, right now, my computer is in Black Screen of Death (I'm writing this post using my mom's iPad).
I hope to be back online in the next few days.
More
07 May 2012 20:28 #27236 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
Perhaps it was the fairly broad guidelines of the topic, but I don't ever recall a group of stories being so diverse in nature and it genre. I voted for Lex Appeal, though my vote could have easily gone for any of the other four. I guess the twist at the end was what won me over with Rip's story which I didn't see coming...

Will try and post some more details later on my thoughts on all four. Fantastic job by everyone! Thanks, authors!

ElF
More
08 May 2012 00:15 #27239 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
right Lfan, thanks a lot to all writers.
More
08 May 2012 04:43 #27240 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
Normally I would vote for DKC with out any hesitation. It's eerie how similar our taste in super-powered women are, and while I did love Infinity Crisis Part VI I had to brake party lines and cast my vote for Njae's Blind Date, it was really a great story.

All the stories were great and a big thanks to all the authors for them.
More
08 May 2012 09:59 #27247 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Spring 2012 is now OPEN
As DKC's biggest fan, it is always hard not to vote for his work. But I was really impressed by Blind Date as Njae took us to a place we have never been before and from a brand new angle as well. I must have sat for about an hour thinking about his story along with possible plot twists, and even how I might have approached the super goddess had I been in the story myself, but not blind of course. Now that's a story that REALLY gets you thinking!

And thanks to the rest of guys for providing me with a very pleasurable evening of entertainment!
More
08 May 2012 14:35 #27248 by Woodclaw
In a way I'm really happy thatn I wasn't able to participate this workshop. I don't think that my entry could have measured against some of these stories.
Now, on with comments.

Blind date
In many ways this the most impressive piece of this workshop. Njae made a very difficult choice to include a blind character, but the story works incredibly well and it's an interesting twist on the standard UG fiction. If I have a critique, it's that the story is somewhat lacking in UG action, but that is entirely appropriate to the subject. Including too much would have required to force situations inappropriate to the context.

Infinity Crisis 6
I'm a bit on the fence on this one. IC is one of my favorite series ever, but I'm not sure I like the new direction the story has taken. On one hand it's nice to see Natasha retaking control of the situation, on the other I'm not sure that including a time/dimensional travel element is the right way to fly.
Also the scene of Natasha raging against the city after being shot, seemed somewhat inappropriate. I can totally picture her speeding after the shooter bursting people and building on her path, but rampaging like this felt somewhat wrong.
While this remains a good addition to the serie, I felt it fall somewhat short of my expectations.

Lex Appeal
This is the big surprise of this workshop: a story that took almost every preconception the reader might have and twist it out of shape. The character are good, although a bit sketchy, and the narration proceed at an excellent pace. If I have to raise a critique it's the dialogues, sometimes they felt a bit confusing, especially when more than one character was involved (the final scene was a major culprit here).
Overall I think that with a little fixing this story can become an instant classic.

Super Secret Agent
Being an old fan of Bond movies (my relatives love the ones with Connery) I loved every line of this story. It's very entertaining, surprisingly faithful to the original material and yet it stand perfectly apart from it. Also I like to finally see a Bond story told from someone else point of view.
Overall this is the story that got my vote.

The Groupie
I'm really sorry to G7 but for me this is the tailight of this workshop. There isn't anything inherently wrong with the story. Matter of fact it works pretty well and includebsome little touches that makes it interesting (Like the motion sicken drum player) but it has the same limit of many of CF material: it lacked a sense of challenge. I understand that was not the point, but as an evil UG the protagonist felt somewhat lacking to me.
It's not a bad story by any mean, just not something that match my tastes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
More
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds