Amount

Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

20 Nov 2012 19:53 - 20 Nov 2012 20:03 #29380 by njae
Back when the discussion about the SWMU started I said that I would use my topic-choosing privileges from the spring workshop to make the next normal workshop a SWMU workshop. But since there hasn't been any development on that front since then, I decided it would be better to search for another topic so that we can have a (very late) fall workshop.

Unfortunately I can't think about a fitting topic right now, so I ask the community for some inspiration here. Any suggestion that hasn't been done before is welcome here. In order to speed things up I'll choose as fast as possible.

Edit: Just to be sure, it's about a normal workshop. The priviledge to choose the next short workshop lies with the winner of the last short workshop.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2012 20:03 by njae.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• njae
  • njae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Nov 2012 20:12 #29381 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
For a short story format, I always liked the topic of a superwoman doing ordinary things in her own way. I mean we get that she can do incredible feats but just doing the normal things like grocery shopping for example or a less-likely scenario, Black Friday shopping.

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?

More
20 Nov 2012 20:38 #29382 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
I suggest that the topic would be that a currently super person shares their powers or what got them super with someone.

I kept it vague so it can be a super guy or girl and they could give the powers to an old friend, family member or someone they just met.

More
20 Nov 2012 21:01 #29383 by fats
On the topic of the SWMU I would like to apologise to all the members especially Njae, I've been delaying due to a funding application that I have placed to secure funding for a 10 minute short animation or a sequence of audio books and stills, there is funding available and I've been waiting for the letter to say that we either have it or not, once i have the letter I'll post the update with the news, I'm sure you can agree that if we do get the funding it will change the whole dynamic of the SWMU and help lauch it with a bang.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Nov 2012 21:19 #29384 by Raa
Here an idea. What about a super story based on a video game? I just started playing the new x-com game. Later in the game it sounds like there will be gene splicing. Not there yet in the game, but it would be interesting.

More
20 Nov 2012 21:33 #29385 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

Raa wrote: Here an idea. What about a super story based on a video game? I just started playing the new x-com game. Later in the game it sounds like there will be gene splicing. Not there yet in the game, but it would be interesting.

I'm playing XCom too and I was toying with the idea of adding some Supergirl element to the mix.

More
21 Nov 2012 00:16 #29389 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
Haven't read a scifi supergirl story in a while, so how about: Super or regular people gets sent as Earths ambassadors to different planets. Kinda like a reverse Superman origin.

More
21 Nov 2012 05:12 #29392 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
I'll just throw out random stuff until I go to sleep.

Science gone wrong.

Magic vs. Technology.

How to get ahead in business when you're super.

The odd girl out.

Painful transformation.

Supergirl vs. Nature.

Weird romance.

- GeekSeven

More
21 Nov 2012 11:20 #29397 by Woodclaw

geekseven wrote: I'll just throw out random stuff until I go to sleep.

Science gone wrong.

Magic vs. Technology.

The odd girl out.

Painful transformation.

Supergirl vs. Nature.

Weird romance.

I think that most of these are actually very cool ideas, but a couple sound a bit weird to me. Namely "Science gone wrong" is really very generic, while I can't understand "The odd girl out" at all.

More
21 Nov 2012 12:26 #29398 by kshoo
Replied by kshoo on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
So far the topics all sound interesting.
How about some element of power transfer (voluntary or involuntary)?

More
21 Nov 2012 17:22 #29400 by SHTL
What i always liked is the superhuman strenght that corrupt a previosly innocent anf honest girl until she take over the entire world, i like especially the slow process that take a simple girl step by step from a good person to an evil being...

More
21 Nov 2012 17:25 #29401 by SHTL
I remember for example Rachel from "Modification" written by Happiest in Shadows where the description is really well done and mostly long (7 chapters..) even if in that case the modification from normal to super is not accidentally but organized and searched from the same Rachel

More
21 Nov 2012 18:06 #29404 by njae

I suggest that the topic would be that a currently super person shares their powers or what got them super with someone.

I kept it vague so it can be a super guy or girl and they could give the powers to an old friend, family member or someone they just met.

Has been part of many stories, but never actually been a theme, interesting.

What about a super story based on a video game?

Fanfiction has been done last fall workshop.

Super or regular people gets sent as Earths ambassadors to different planets. Kinda like a reverse Superman origin.

Not a big fan of this kind of origin.

Science gone wrong.

Just a pretty specific origin...

Magic vs. Technology.

Not my thing either.

Would fit Camille's suggestion and thus be better suited for a short workshop.

The odd girl out.

What do you mean with that?

Painful transformation.

A bit too vague.

Supergirl vs. Nature.

What do you mean exactly?

Weird romance.

Define weird.

How about some element of power transfer (voluntary or involuntary)?

Similar to Pansardum's suggestion which I prefer over this.

What i always liked is the superhuman strenght that corrupt a previosly innocent anf honest girl until she take over the entire world, i like especially the slow process that take a simple girl step by step from a good person to an evil being...

Switching sides has been done and was also part of the last workshop...

Well right now my favorite would be the power-sharing scenario, but I'll wait a bit longer for other suggestions.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Nov 2012 22:23 #29405 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
I've always thought that 'Superwoman at work' would make an interesting idea for a topic, either 'opening' (such as being asked to help with some heavy lifting) or while trying to maintain a secret identity. Plenty of opportunities for power use and showing of a superwoman's personality.

More
21 Nov 2012 22:45 #29406 by Woodclaw

The Highlander wrote: I've always thought that 'Superwoman at work' would make an interesting idea for a topic, either 'opening' (such as being asked to help with some heavy lifting) or while trying to maintain a secret identity. Plenty of opportunities for power use and showing of a superwoman's personality.

While I like this too, I think that it's more fitting for a short workshop format.

More
21 Nov 2012 23:46 #29408 by SophiePortmane
Replied by SophiePortmane on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
"while I can't understand "The odd girl out" at all."

Thanks! I thought I didn't understand because of my bad english.. You English speakers have sometimes really weird turn of phrase!

More
22 Nov 2012 05:26 #29411 by njae

SophiePortmane wrote: "while I can't understand "The odd girl out" at all."

Thanks! I thought I didn't understand because of my bad english.. You English speakers have sometimes really weird turn of phrase!

It's not like everybody else here is a native speaker - maybe that's why I didn't get it either.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Nov 2012 08:30 #29412 by Woodclaw

njae wrote:

SophiePortmane wrote: "while I can't understand "The odd girl out" at all."

It's not like everybody else here is a native speaker - maybe that's why I didn't get it either.

Same as above.

More
22 Nov 2012 15:24 #29414 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
Sorry to cause confusion. Odd girl out was based on the idiom of the "odd man out".

idioms.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=odd+man+out

Maybe something like a woman from a family of superheroes who turns rogue, or an alien girl who never fitted in at home and comes to earth to discover that being different isn't always a bad thing, or an "ugly duckling" character who suddenly gains great power and beauty and struggled with it.

- GeekSeven

More
22 Nov 2012 16:46 - 22 Nov 2012 16:46 #29415 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
For a good idea what an odd girl out is, check out DKC's story right here in our library.

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...e-hit-list&Itemid=81
Last edit: 22 Nov 2012 16:46 by ace191.

More
22 Nov 2012 21:32 #29416 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
What about sent back in time or time travel in general?

More
23 Nov 2012 00:43 #29417 by fats
how about a story based on the premise of day/month/year in the life of a young (16-25) supergirl with the twist that she is in fact 1000-2000 years old and has remained youthful for all that time. her attitude is that she has become bored with the human race, and is thinking of how to deal with it.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Nov 2012 08:10 #29419 by Woodclaw

fats wrote: how about a story based on the premise of day/month/year in the life of a young (16-25) supergirl with the twist that she is in fact 1000-2000 years old and has remained youthful for all that time. her attitude is that she has become bored with the human race, and is thinking of how to deal with it.

This is a very specific scenario Fats, I like the idea, but it seem very limited. Perhaps it would work better by rephrasing it a little bit, somthing like: Supergirl becoming bored with the human race.

More
23 Nov 2012 08:36 #29421 by fats
you're right, i like your idea for modifying my idea.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Nov 2012 10:24 #29424 by SHTL
yeah, not bad really, hoping that becoming bored means becoming aggressive and evil....i love bad girls
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds