Amount

Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

22 Nov 2012 21:32 #29416 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
What about sent back in time or time travel in general?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2012 00:43 #29417 by fats
how about a story based on the premise of day/month/year in the life of a young (16-25) supergirl with the twist that she is in fact 1000-2000 years old and has remained youthful for all that time. her attitude is that she has become bored with the human race, and is thinking of how to deal with it.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Nov 2012 08:10 #29419 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

fats wrote: how about a story based on the premise of day/month/year in the life of a young (16-25) supergirl with the twist that she is in fact 1000-2000 years old and has remained youthful for all that time. her attitude is that she has become bored with the human race, and is thinking of how to deal with it.

This is a very specific scenario Fats, I like the idea, but it seem very limited. Perhaps it would work better by rephrasing it a little bit, somthing like: Supergirl becoming bored with the human race.

More
23 Nov 2012 08:36 #29421 by fats
you're right, i like your idea for modifying my idea.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Nov 2012 10:24 #29424 by SHTL
yeah, not bad really, hoping that becoming bored means becoming aggressive and evil....i love bad girls
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
23 Nov 2012 12:21 #29425 by Woodclaw

superhumanteenlover wrote: yeah, not bad really, hoping that becoming bored means becoming aggressive and evil....i love bad girls

I think that the exact mean is for the author to choose.

More
23 Nov 2012 13:00 #29426 by SHTL
of course

More
23 Nov 2012 16:32 #29427 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
A character receives a gift. An artefact or device. Perhaps mysterious, probably dangerous, and maybe life changing.

- GeekSeven

More
23 Nov 2012 21:24 #29429 by supian
Replied by supian on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

The Highlander wrote: I've always thought that 'Superwoman at work' would make an interesting idea for a topic, either 'opening' (such as being asked to help with some heavy lifting) or while trying to maintain a secret identity. Plenty of opportunities for power use and showing of a superwoman's personality.

I second this - an excellent proposal from Highlander.

More
25 Nov 2012 18:28 #29455 by njae

geekseven wrote: A character receives a gift. An artefact or device. Perhaps mysterious, probably dangerous, and maybe life changing.

Great suggestion. This would include my until-now favorite of a super sharing the source of his/her powers with someone, while adding the possibility that the gift in question is NOT the MacGuffin for a super-empowering. Not to mention the fact that Christmas is right around the corner...

Long story short, I hereby declare the topic for the next Workshop to be

"A character receives a gift."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, inactive

• njae
  • njae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
06 Jan 2013 03:28 #29983 by sgfan05
Replied by sgfan05 on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

njae wrote:

geekseven wrote: A character receives a gift. An artefact or device. Perhaps mysterious, probably dangerous, and maybe life changing.

Great suggestion. This would include my until-now favorite of a super sharing the source of his/her powers with someone, while adding the possibility that the gift in question is NOT the MacGuffin for a super-empowering. Not to mention the fact that Christmas is right around the corner...

Long story short, I hereby declare the topic for the next Workshop to be

Rules questions, does said character have to be super already for said gift? Or know a superwoman?

More
06 Jan 2013 03:42 - 06 Jan 2013 03:43 #29984 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

sgfan05 wrote:

njae wrote:

Rules questions, does said character have to be super already for said gift? Or know a superwoman?

The topic is that someone receives a gift, nothing states what it can or can't be. Neither does it state who gives or who receives said gift.

But my advice is that it will help your chances if you include a superwoman :p
Last edit: 06 Jan 2013 03:43 by pansardum.

More
06 Jan 2013 04:26 #29985 by sgfan05
Replied by sgfan05 on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
Thanks pansardum

A superwoman will show up, the gift is part of that.

More
12 Jan 2013 05:10 #30079 by Rick Powers
Replied by Rick Powers on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
Cool with the idea - Character receives a gift. Can I submit a story that may have been seen before on another site? And how do I enter a story into the contest? Under what category do I list it when I upload my story?

I'm new at this site, so please understand. (Although I've written a few stories in the past.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
12 Jan 2013 05:26 #30080 by fats
hi,

You can only submit sories that you have written or have the express written permission of the orgional author.

To enter a story all you need to do is use the "submit a Story" link in the menu and let njae and/or anon via PM that your submission is a workshop submission.

For the category plese use the "SWM Library" as your story's category.

Hope this helps.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Jan 2013 08:21 #30081 by Woodclaw

Rick Powers wrote: Cool with the idea - Character receives a gift. Can I submit a story that may have been seen before on another site? And how do I enter a story into the contest? Under what category do I list it when I upload my story?

I'm new at this site, so please understand. (Although I've written a few stories in the past.)

Fats already explained the bulk of the rules. As for using a story that already appeared on another site, it's entirely possible to do it, as long as the story respect the general rules of this site (no character under 18 etc.)

More
12 Jan 2013 08:25 #30082 by njae

Rick Powers wrote: Cool with the idea - Character receives a gift. Can I submit a story that may have been seen before on another site? And how do I enter a story into the contest? Under what category do I list it when I upload my story?

Generally there's no problem with submitting stories that have been seen on other sites before as long as you have the author's approval. Since you are talking about your own stories, that is a given. So we'd be happy if you submitted your old stories here as well. We can even edit the creation date to fit those on other site as we've done with DKC's "The Project" series for example - only the last part had been posted here first.

The workshop on the other hand is a different story in my opinion. The idea behind the workshops is to encourage the writing of fresh and new stories, so posting an old one isn't really intuitive here. I'd say it's ok to submit a (new) continuation of a story that began with the theme of the workshop as a major focus. Maybe you can write a story like that till the deadline?
When it comes to resubmitting your old stories, maybe one of them would qualify for the idea of a Revision Workshop I proposed in another thread ?

As for the current workshop: How's everybody doing? With so many submissions right before Christmas I'm wondering if anybody wants the deadline extended to come up with something. We'll create the category for the workshop shortly before the deadline arrives, so if you want to submit early, please send a PM to make it clear that it isn't published beforehand.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 Jan 2013 09:10 #30083 by Woodclaw

njae wrote:

Generally there's no problem with submitting stories that have been seen on other sites before as long as you have the author's approval. Since you are talking about your own stories, that is a given. So we'd be happy if you submitted your old stories here as well. We can even edit the creation date to fit those on other site as we've done with DKC's "The Project" series for example - only the last part had been posted here first.

The workshop on the other hand is a different story in my opinion. The idea behind the workshops is to encourage the writing of fresh and new stories, so posting an old one isn't really intuitive here. I'd say it's ok to submit a (new) continuation of a story that began with the theme of the workshop as a major focus. Maybe you can write a story like that till the deadline?
When it comes to resubmitting your old stories, maybe one of them would qualify for the idea of a Revision Workshop I proposed in another thread ?

While I agree with Njae, that the spirit of the workshop is to produce new stories, not reseeding old ones, we have at least on precedent of an author recycling some old work of his for a workshop. Still in that case the story was massively reworked and revised in order to fit the theme.

njae wrote: As for the current workshop: How's everybody doing? With so many submissions right before Christmas I'm wondering if anybody wants the deadline extended to come up with something. We'll create the category for the workshop shortly before the deadline arrives, so if you want to submit early, please send a PM to make it clear that it isn't published beforehand.

oHow's going? Very slowly, but I think I'll be able to produce something half-decent.

More
13 Jan 2013 00:16 #30093 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

njae wrote: As for the current workshop: How's everybody doing? With so many submissions right before Christmas I'm wondering if anybody wants the deadline extended to come up with something. We'll create the category for the workshop shortly before the deadline arrives, so if you want to submit early, please send a PM to make it clear that it isn't published beforehand.

Ugh. Not going well. I have a long story that needs an ending and a major rewrite, and the beginning of a short story that is painfully bland. I'm having a hard time with this workshop.

- GeekSeven

More
13 Jan 2013 19:48 #30104 by njae
Hm, seems like it really was no good idea to have a workshop over Christmas. I can't say I'm making as much progress as I want myself. If there are others struggling, please mention it here.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 Jan 2013 22:32 #30107 by JKIJ
Things aren't coming along as well as I'd like either, though I hope to get a bit more written in the next week since I have some time off work. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to an extension, though I still hope to be more or less done before the end of the month.

More
14 Jan 2013 01:24 #30111 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
Long time reader, first time writer.

I have quite a bit left until my submission is finished. Still I don't think that the deadline should be extended.
Just because the deadline is part of the workshops and I see it as a part of the challenge to finish the entry on time.

More
14 Jan 2013 04:45 #30114 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round
I still barely have an outline done. I have the idea, the beginning and the end in mind. The problem is what to fill in between. I may be incline for an extension if not then I'll post my story as a standalone.

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?

More
14 Jan 2013 07:46 #30118 by fats
I've extended the workshop until the 16th feb to give more time.

fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Jan 2013 14:23 #30122 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Next Workshop topic, quick choosing round

I think that's the understatement of the year so far!

More
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds