Amount

A new Collaborative Workshop?

10 Jan 2013 21:52 - 11 Jan 2013 09:19 #30047 by njae
A new Collaborative Workshop? was created by njae
Hi everyone. Even though the current workshop is still running I want to discuss the idea of putting together another collaborative workshop. We already had one of these and while it had only a few entries, the quality was good and the back-then winner one of the entries became a long-term series for the page.

Now I think it would be the right time to give it another try and I want to use this thread to discuss the detils and rules about it.

Personally I'd like the collaborative workshop to be a bit longer so that other workshops can run in parallel (Jun 30th as the deadline?) and it allows for the teams to form and plan their work.

One reason behind this is to motivate rather inactive authors to write something by teaming up with 'regulars'. Needless to say that it's more likely for these regulars to team up with each other and effectively cutting the number of stories in half. In order to prevent that I'd like to add the extra rule that authors can be part of two collaborations as long as at least one of them is with one of said inactive authors (this can also be a totally new author). The long run should give enough time for that.

What do you think about that? And does a collaborative workshop actually need a theme?
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 09:19 by njae. Reason: Fixed the workshop winner part

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• njae
  • njae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 Jan 2013 05:59 #30055 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
Birthright by Lfan and CF became a series?

More
11 Jan 2013 08:30 #30058 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?

ace191 wrote: Birthright by Lfan and CF became a series?

I think there was a some miscommunication along the line.
A lot of people (including myself until recently) think that TSoS was the winning story.

More
11 Jan 2013 09:18 #30060 by njae
Replied by njae on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?

ace191 wrote: Birthright by Lfan and CF became a series?

Now that's embarassing, didn't actually check the polls for that.

Anyway TSOS turned out to be quite the series here so let's concentrate on that.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 Jan 2013 22:57 #30074 by fats
Replied by fats on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
i wonder who could be persuaded to come out of retirement and work with some new blood????

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Jan 2013 09:36 #30084 by Woodclaw
As I said in chat, I think that this might be a good idea if we can round up a good number of entries. This means that is up to all of us to organize a good number of teams to work.
Also I think it might be a good idea to make this a semi-short workshop (not a 1000 words, but still limited) to see how the synergies are working.

More
13 Jan 2013 19:45 #30103 by njae

Anon wrote: As I said in chat, I think that this might be a good idea if we can round up a good number of entries. This means that is up to all of us to organize a good number of teams to work.
Also I think it might be a good idea to make this a semi-short workshop (not a 1000 words, but still limited) to see how the synergies are working.

Trying to get as many teams is a given, but considering the amount of resonance here it doesn't look like that.

As for the length I don't think a limit would be helpful, especially if the workshop goes for a few more months than the others.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 Jan 2013 21:17 #30105 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
I might be interested in working on a collaboration.

- GeekSeven

More
13 Jan 2013 21:31 #30106 by supian
Replied by supian on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
Me too. PM me if you want to run with a story - I have a few ideas bouncing around

More
13 Jan 2013 22:38 #30108 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
I'm intrigued by the idea, but I think I'd be a horrible collaborator. I really don't know if I could be a disciplined enough writer to make it work. Having said that though, I can't definitely rule out that I wouldn't be involved if there was somebody who wanted to work with me and we could come up with a way to make it work.

More
13 Jan 2013 23:28 #30109 by Gliblord
Replied by Gliblord on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
I'd be more than willing to collaborate. It'll be fun

More
14 Jan 2013 04:46 #30115 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
Of course you know that I am game and it shouldn't be a surprise as to who I'm teaming up with ;)

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?

More
14 Jan 2013 04:54 #30116 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
Think I found my collaborator! :)

ElF

More
14 Jan 2013 05:44 #30117 by njae
Good to hear that people are interested in a collaborative workshop. Does anybody have an opinion about the whole "being part of more than one collaboration" part and the length of the workshop?

How about a topic?

lfan wrote: Think I found my collaborator! :)

ElF

Good to hear that but for the sake of keeping an overview it would be nice to mention who that is.

Of course you know that I am game and it shouldn't be a surprise as to who I'm teaming up with

At least those who frequent the IRC won't be surprised. Our plans of collaborating pretty much brought up the idea of this workshop.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Jan 2013 09:11 #30119 by Woodclaw
I'm in too. I'll send out some PMs to look for collaborators.

More
14 Jan 2013 12:41 #30120 by lfan
I'd say a person can be part of more than one collaboration if they want.

My $.02
ElF

More
20 Jan 2013 07:52 #30176 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
Are we ready to pick a theme for this workshop?

If so, my two cents: it might be fun to do some stories involving an Achilles heel -- girls with endless power but also a key vulerability. With Superman, of course, this role was always played by Kryptonite. But I think we can come up with many alternative, intersting takes on that concept.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL

More
20 Jan 2013 20:00 #30182 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
That would be fun, also it could be that one of her strengths is her weakness. (E.g: heightened sense of smell + tear gas = going to have a bad time)

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?

More
20 Jan 2013 20:58 #30183 by njae

circes_cup wrote: Are we ready to pick a theme for this workshop?

If so, my two cents: it might be fun to do some stories involving an Achilles heel -- girls with endless power but also a key vulerability. With Superman, of course, this role was always played by Kryptonite. But I think we can come up with many alternative, intersting takes on that concept.

I'd prefer a weakness compared to an Achilles heel or vulnerability. Why? Because it allows more ways of interpretation. For example the girl in question may have no actual physical weakness but her psyche is a different story. The super powers may come with certain urges that can be disadvantageous at times. On the other hand the weakness may also have an upside that isn't visible at first.

The way a weakness/flaw is dealt with would make some interesting stories.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Jan 2013 11:03 #30190 by Woodclaw

Camille Jones wrote: That would be fun, also it could be that one of her strengths is her weakness. (E.g: heightened sense of smell + tear gas = going to have a bad time)

Thank you, Cam, this is something it has always been on my mind.

njae wrote:

circes_cup wrote: Are we ready to pick a theme for this workshop?

I'd prefer a weakness compared to an Achilles heel or vulnerability. Why? Because it allows more ways of interpretation. For example the girl in question may have no actual physical weakness but her psyche is a different story. The super powers may come with certain urges that can be disadvantageous at times. On the other hand the weakness may also have an upside that isn't visible at first.

The way a weakness/flaw is dealt with would make some interesting stories.

I agree with Njae, working on just one Achille's heel would greatly limit the kind of stories, since they would all pretty much boil down to a variant of the usual Superman vs Metallo scenario.

More
31 Jan 2013 06:51 #30288 by njae
*Bump*

Any other opinions, suggestions or collaborative teams that found each other already? Or maybe someone still searching for a partner?

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Jan 2013 08:55 #30289 by Woodclaw
I'm still waiting for an answer from one of my possible partners. Aside from that I'm trying to figure out a good theme.

More
31 Jan 2013 13:37 #30290 by lfan
I'm all for jumping into the pool, given that no one has a better suggestion than weakness/Achilles Heel. I think it lends itself to some creative possibilities. I'd be down with that....

ElF

More
31 Jan 2013 13:46 #30291 by njae

lfan wrote: I'm all for jumping into the pool, given that no one has a better suggestion than weakness/Achilles Heel. I think it lends itself to some creative possibilities. I'd be down with that....

ElF

The last collaborative workshop had no theme at all, so technically we don't need one to be sure. After all I'd like to encourage authors to be part of multiple teams if possible.

And since the current workshop is still going (remember the deadline was extended) there's still much time for discussion and team finding.

• njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Feb 2013 20:10 #30510 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic A new Collaborative Workshop?
I'd like to join in on this if someone's looking for a collaborator.

More
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds