Amount

Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON

11 Mar 2013 13:46 - 11 Mar 2013 15:04 #30704 by Woodclaw
Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON was created by Woodclaw
Get ready people it's time again for a short workshop.

Theme: "A girl/woman surprises someone (including herself) by being/becoming super"

Word Limit: 1000 words as usual

Deadline: midnight April 14th (GMT)

The Prize: as usual the right to choose the theme of the next short workshop (Summer 2013)

I know it's very early and the "digital ink" of the Fall 2012 entries is barely dry, but we are trying to create a more regular schedule for the workshops. Starting this one early will give us more time to organie for the Spring 2013 long format workshop.

Ladies and gentlemen, start your writing.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 15:04 by lfan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Mar 2013 14:39 #30726 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
An April Fools Day prank would fit this theme nicely (in addition to being seasonal).

More
12 Mar 2013 14:47 #30727 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
Good idea!

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2013 15:18 - 12 Mar 2013 15:19 #30728 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON

argonaut wrote: An April Fools Day prank would fit this theme nicely (in addition to being seasonal).

Very nice. I haven't consider the possibilities of superpowered pranks until now.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2013 15:19 by Woodclaw.

• Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Apr 2013 14:20 #31111 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
I'm going to have a story in by tonight, but I'm not going to be able to get it under 1,000 words. Therefore I will submit it but I won't submit it as a workshop entry. It might be best if it isn't visible until after the voting ends, but I leave that up to the librarians.

More
14 Apr 2013 20:15 #31113 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON

JKIJ wrote: I'm going to have a story in by tonight, but I'm not going to be able to get it under 1,000 words. Therefore I will submit it but I won't submit it as a workshop entry. It might be best if it isn't visible until after the voting ends, but I leave that up to the librarians.

Sad to hear that but after taking a look at it, it's clear that bringing your story down on a thousand words would've been too difficultt.

As for the rest, keep in mind that the deadline is in a few hours, so if you have something ready, then you better submit it as well. Right now we have six stories and I'm pretty sure at least one story has yet to be submitted.

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Apr 2013 23:06 #31114 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
I'm afraid not. I originally planned to use the story I wrote, but as I got writing it just got much too big to have any hope of cutting it down. I tried at first but quickly found I was cutting too much so I ended up ditching my plan and expanding the story a little instead. I always knew that I would sometimes be challenged by the 1000 word limit, since using too many words is a weakness of mine when I write anything. I'm sure I'll have another go at the next short story workshop, hopefully with more success.

I'm sorry that I haven't managed to get an entry into this workshop. The 1000 words is part of the challenge and the dun for me. I think I need to be less ambitious and less attached to my original ideas. I look forward to reading the entries when they are posted.

More
14 Apr 2013 23:34 #31115 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
I think that the short story should be a minimum of 1000 words and a maximum of 5000 words. There have been some great stories in these short work shops but because of their length, the stories abruptly stop or are so edited that the details become irrelivent.

I had a story for this work shop, and chop and edit as much as much as I did I couldn't get it below 1400 words.

Imo If someone comes out with a 1000 word story, great.....If someone wants to throw a 4000 word story in the mix. That should be fine as well

More
15 Apr 2013 00:58 #31116 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON

d_k_c wrote: I think that the short story should be a minimum of 1000 words and a maximum of 5000 words. There have been some great stories in these short work shops but because of their length, the stories abruptly stop or are so edited that the details become irrelivent.

I had a story for this work shop, and chop and edit as much as much as I did I couldn't get it below 1400 words.

Imo If someone comes out with a 1000 word story, great.....If someone wants to throw a 4000 word story in the mix. That should be fine as well

5000 seem a little too high of a limit for me, but I agree with the sentiment a lot of stories from past short workshops needed a little more room.

Maybe we can discuss it at the next town hall meeting.

• Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Apr 2013 06:05 #31117 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
Looking forward to reading these and giving feedback!

I was very tempted to enter this one but ended up focusing on editing. :dry: Thanks in advance for the fun reads.

More
15 Apr 2013 12:41 #31122 by smoki07
Replied by smoki07 on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
I voted for "Brief engagement" it's original!

More
16 Apr 2013 15:51 #31136 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop is now ON
Congratulations to the entrants, can't wait to get some time to check them out!

I did/do have a story, but got hit with the flu last week which pretty much took me out, so my story is in an unfinished state. I'll try to get it finished up and submitted to be tagged with the contest, as soon as I get realigned with the world and caught up with the work.

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds