Amount

Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

25 Mar 2013 23:27 - 26 Mar 2013 06:44 #30856 by argonaut
Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread was created by argonaut
Njae has asked me, as the winner in the last workshop, to select the theme for the next one.

I'll toss out a suggestion, but I'm open to other ideas. If you've got one, post it here.

The rocket carrying the infant Kara Zor-El to Earth passes through a wormhole and arrives sometime in the past or future.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 06:44 by njae. Reason: Switched title to prevent confusion with the diskussion thread that will come after the workshop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
26 Mar 2013 08:12 #30858 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
DC recently did a remake of the Batman story A Death in the Family. So how about something similar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 08:27 #30859 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
Thanks for opening up the thread Argo.

As for the suggested topic I'm not really happy about it. Using Kara Zor-El is a bit too restrictive in my eyes. Using a (not necessarily alien) supergirl in a non-contemporary setting might be better.

Right now I don't have any suggestion on my own, though.

New Deviantart, setup in progress
njae2.deviantart.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 08:29 #30860 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

argonaut wrote: Njae has asked me, as the winner in the last workshop, to select the theme for the next one.

I'll toss out a suggestion, but I'm open to other ideas. If you've got one, post it here.

The rocket carrying the infant Kara Zor-El to Earth passes through a wormhole and arrives sometime in the past or future.


We already had an Alternate History workshop (it was 1.13, which we haven't reseeded yet), so this one might not be the best idea.



As for a suggestion I keep putting forward my Family Story idea.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 13:19 #30863 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
You know what's funny? I had an idea fitting for the Family Story theme just yesterday.

New Deviantart, setup in progress
njae2.deviantart.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 14:01 #30864 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

njae wrote: You know what's funny? I had an idea fitting for the Family Story theme just yesterday.


Well, it's not the first time I put this idea forward. :P

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 18:11 #30869 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

ChaozCloud wrote: DC recently did a remake of the Batman story A Death in the Family. So how about something similar?


Similar how? "Someone close to a superwoman dies"? Seems like kind of a downer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
26 Mar 2013 19:41 #30870 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

argonaut wrote: Similar how? "Someone close to a superwoman dies"? Seems like kind of a downer.


Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It doesn't necessarily have to be at the end of the story. It can be her raison d'etre kinda like with Spiderman if you want. And stories shouldn't always be happy happy, need some sad stuff to be able to truly appreciate the happy stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 19:54 #30871 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

ChaozCloud wrote:

argonaut wrote: Similar how? "Someone close to a superwoman dies"? Seems like kind of a downer.


Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It doesn't necessarily have to be at the end of the story. It can be her raison d'etre kinda like with Spiderman if you want. And stories shouldn't always be happy happy, need some sad stuff to be able to truly appreciate the happy stuff.


Maybe a better wording might be: "Tragedy befalls a supergirl"

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 20:33 #30873 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

Maybe a better wording might be: "Tragedy befalls a supergirl"


*looks at one of his drafts*

Too easy!

New Deviantart, setup in progress
njae2.deviantart.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2013 00:15 #30875 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

As for a suggestion I keep putting forward my Family Story idea.


Explain, please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
27 Mar 2013 07:22 #30882 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

argonaut wrote:

As for a suggestion I keep putting forward my Family Story idea.


Explain, please.


If I remember correctly there were two ideas associated with that: First was that a retired superwoman has to put the cape back on to save her family, the second was about passing the mantle from mother to daughter.

New Deviantart, setup in progress
njae2.deviantart.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2013 09:31 - 27 Mar 2013 09:36 #30883 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

njae wrote:

argonaut wrote:

As for a suggestion I keep putting forward my Family Story idea.


Explain, please.


If I remember correctly there were two ideas associated with that: First was that a retired superwoman has to put the cape back on to save her family, the second was about passing the mantle from mother to daughter.


Njae got the basics right, although my basic idea was a bit more large in scope. Simply put I was thinking about a workshop on centered around families. Aside from the two scenarios outlined above there are others:
  • mother-daughter quality time
  • a superwoman hanging the cape to raise he family
  • a superman coming to terms with the idea of having his daughter to carry on the legacy
  • even a multi-generational story is good (like some stories from Flash involving multiple generations of the character)
  • or - if one feels very bold - something in the vein of John Byrne's Generations .

In general every idea is valid as long as there's a strong family vibe to it.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
Last edit: 27 Mar 2013 09:36 by Woodclaw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2013 20:28 - 27 Mar 2013 20:31 #30887 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
All right, let's make it official -- the theme for the next story workshop will be ... "Family Dynamics."

Write a story feauring a supergirl or superwoman and one or more members of her family.

ChaozCloud's suggestion of a "Death in the Family"-type story would fit the theme, but stories could range in tone. Anon has listed some intriguing ideas. Here are a few more:

Parents (super or non-super) dealing with a rebellious teenage super-daughter.

Non-super brother, super sister.

Wife's newly-gained super-powers put a strain on her marriage.

An Incredibles sequel or re-make in which Helen has the super-strength and Bob has the stretching powers.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2013 20:31 by argonaut. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
28 Mar 2013 00:31 #30891 by supian
Replied by supian on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

argonaut wrote: All right, let's make it official -- the theme for the next story workshop will be ... "Family Dynamics."

Write a story feauring a supergirl or superwoman and one or more members of her family.

ChaozCloud's suggestion of a "Death in the Family"-type story would fit the theme, but stories could range in tone. Anon has listed some intriguing ideas. Here are a few more:

Parents (super or non-super) dealing with a rebellious teenage super-daughter.

Non-super brother, super sister.

Wife's newly-gained super-powers put a strain on her marriage.

An Incredibles sequel or re-make in which Helen has the super-strength and Bob has the stretching powers.


Good choice - I feel though that Njae has too much of a bearing on potential storylines for the winners (that you duly deserved). Perhaps if Njae reformed to his role as librarian and not influencer of stories, there would be more freedom in the forums. Just a thought

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 07:20 #30892 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

supian wrote: Good choice - I feel though that Njae has too much of a bearing on potential storylines for the winners (that you duly deserved). Perhaps if Njae reformed to his role as librarian and not influencer of stories, there would be more freedom in the forums. Just a thought


That's quite a harsh accusation you make here. You make it sound like I somehow influenced Argo to the point that his choice wasn't really his anymore. All I did was to give my opinion on his suggested topic and explain the one Anon suggested (not for the first time, that's why I could explain it). I fail to understand how I'm having too much influence in this scenario.

New Deviantart, setup in progress
njae2.deviantart.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 09:07 #30893 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

supian wrote: Good choice - I feel though that Njae has too much of a bearing on potential storylines for the winners (that you duly deserved). Perhaps if Njae reformed to his role as librarian and not influencer of stories, there would be more freedom in the forums. Just a thought


I'm sorry Supian but I really don't understand what do you mean here. What does Njae have to do with all of this in your opinion?

First of all, being a Librarian means just that you're in charge of maintaining and updating the site Library. A Librarian doesn't have the authority to influence the writing of stories, beside providing suggestions and feedback as any other forum user.

Moving on, I suggested a Family based workshop several times in the past (go take a look to past suggestion threads). Do you think that it was Njae's intervention that made Argo choose it? Why not mine? After all I have Librarian rank too.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 16:11 #30894 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
I think its a great suggestion. Jealousy, power transfers, showing off....maybe throw in an evil step sister or 2. Count me in. Should be fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 18:03 #30895 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

d_k_c wrote: I think its a great suggestion. Jealousy, power transfers, showing off....maybe throw in an evil step sister or 2. Count me in. Should be fun.


Glad to hear this.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 20:59 #30896 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Spring 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
I chose the "family" theme because I thought it was a good one -- specific enough to give the workshop some focus, broad enough to allow lots of variety.

Anon and njae have the same right to suggst workshop themes (and critique the suggestions of others) as any other member.

They deserve our thanks for all their work on behalf of the Library and the site in general.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds