Amount

Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

13 Jul 2013 02:06 #32232 by inactive
Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread was created by inactive
As winner of the Winter 2013 short story workshop it is my sworn and solemn duty to select the topic for the next short story workshop, which will run over the summer.

If you have any ideas, then please suggest them in this thread. I'll start:

"A Day in the Life" - A glimpse into a superwoman's everyday routine.

The question of increasing the word limit for the short workshop has also been raised. 1000 words is very short (most writers would qualify less than 1000 words as 'flash fiction'). If you have an opinion on this, then please express it as forcefully as you like. I'll start:

I suggest a 3000 word limit.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camille Jones

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inactive
  • inactive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
13 Jul 2013 03:59 #32233 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
IMO the short story WS should be anything under 10,000

The long story Workshop should be anything over 5,000

More
13 Jul 2013 04:47 #32234 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

d_k_c wrote: IMO the short story WS should be anything under 10,000

I think it would be weird for the ranges to overlap.

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
13 Jul 2013 05:48 #32236 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
DKC, you probably meant the inverse right?

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?

More
13 Jul 2013 06:16 #32237 by d_k_c
Nope.

I think that for some people 10,000 words is a short story. But you can also write something that's 1500 words if you'd prefer....just keep it under 10,000

By the same token, I think that someone trying their hand at the longer workshop might consider 5000 words quite long. but that's just the minimum requirement. Yes it can overlap, for those 5000 words but I don't think that's too big of a deal.

As an example, my story is completed at 37,000 for this upcoming WS and I have some stories that are in the 5000-6000 range that I hope to one day tweak and submit for the shorter WS if the topic is fitting.

That all being said....I think that the Work Shops have been somewhat successful. So, i'd hate to change a good thing. Just throwing my 2 pennies at people :P

More
13 Jul 2013 11:21 #32239 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

d_k_c wrote: IMO the short story WS should be anything under 10,000

d_k_c wrote: Nope.

I think that for some people 10,000 words is a short story. But you can also write something that's 1500 words if you'd prefer....just keep it under 10,000

By the same token, I think that someone trying their hand at the longer workshop might consider 5000 words quite long. but that's just the minimum requirement. Yes it can overlap, for those 5000 words but I don't think that's too big of a deal.

As an example, my story is completed at 37,000 for this upcoming WS and I have some stories that are in the 5000-6000 range that I hope to one day tweak and submit for the shorter WS if the topic is fitting.

That all being said....I think that the Work Shops have been somewhat successful. So, i'd hate to change a good thing. Just throwing my 2 pennies at people :P

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this. Using this kind of word limits will make the difference between the two workshops insignificant, since I could write a 5500 words piece and submit to either without much trouble. The challenge of the Short Workshop is to fit the story within a constricting number of words without losing its key elements. 10000 is too high of a limit to be really a hindrance.

As for the length issue, I keep suggesting 2000 words tops. Since we have to experiment with a new word limit, I would much prefer to go slowly, rather than tripling or more in one bound.

More
13 Jul 2013 18:01 - 13 Jul 2013 18:58 #32245 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
Okay, the length issue is distracting from the topic question, which is more important.

Therefore I am using my winners power to make an executive decision. If I have overstepped my bounds, take it up with lfan.

Splitting the difference, the word limit for the summer workshop will be:

2500 words.

Now, topic suggestions, or I'll make you all write about evil supergirls with personality disorders.

- GeekSeven
Last edit: 13 Jul 2013 18:58 by inactive.

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
13 Jul 2013 19:16 #32247 by Woodclaw

geekseven wrote: Okay, the length issue is distracting from the topic question, which is more important.

Therefore I am using my winners power to make an executive decision. If I have overstepped my bounds, take it up with lfan.

Splitting the difference, the word limit for the summer workshop will be:

2500 words.

Now, topic suggestions, or I'll make you all write about evil supergirls with personality disorders.

I don't know if you overstepped your bounds, so I won't comment.

As for the theme, right now I'm out of ideas. Your suggestion above is fine by me. If anything pops up I'll let you know.

More
13 Jul 2013 19:35 #32248 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
2500 sounds about right for a good day in the life story.

Its a good topic to play with:)

Castor

More
14 Jul 2013 21:51 #32267 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

d_k_c wrote: Nope.

Up to 10000 words for the workshop? I thought it was ridiculous when someone suggested 5000 words, but this is really taking the cake. For me the short workshop was a challenge to make a decent story while being restricted on the word number, so lifting these restrictions would totally nullify this challenge. Actually I'm still rooting for the original 1000 words and the higher the limit, the lesser my interest in the short workshops existence.

The word limit isn't set yet, btw. G7s job only involves finding the next topic - which gets easier when knowing the actual limit.

As for topic I've got no idea right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pansardum

More
14 Jul 2013 22:52 #32268 by d_k_c
Write a 50 word story for the WS - that's fine. What geek 7 is suggesting is to keep it under 2500 words - what's the issue?

More
14 Jul 2013 23:38 #32269 by njae

d_k_c wrote: Write a 50 word story for the WS - that's fine. What geek 7 is suggesting is to keep it under 2500 words - what's the issue?

You're confusing two things here: My personal opinion about the word limit and the fact that G7 wasn't actually suggesting the 2500 word limit, he was declaring it. He even said himself that he may have overstepped his boundaries there.

I think I made myself clear about my personal opinion: If you raise the limit too high, the difference to the normal (NOT long) workshop will be insignificant. The 1000 word limit caused each story to have about the same length and thus be easier comparable. Fitting a theme into a single scene leaves little room for error - which was what made it fun for me. But this is just my personal opinion and if the majority prefers a longer word limit I'll have to live with that just like anybody else.

More
14 Jul 2013 23:58 #32270 by d_k_c
I agree with that...Whatever the consensus is I'm completely fine with as well. I think the point of this topic is to establish a consensus among writers and readers....Maybe we should take it to a vote? I have a very simple argument, the more the merrier. And I agree with Njae - it takes an amazing amount of talent to write a good story in under 1000 words....Talent that, might not exist here :ohmy: I certainly know I cant do it.

More
16 Jul 2013 18:00 #32292 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
I'll get this back on topic and suggest two ideas. :P

• A recreational activity with a supergirl. (All from movie night to mountain climbing or maybe playing board games)

• A supergirl/villainess wins over their biggest opponent/struggle.

More
16 Jul 2013 20:11 #32293 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
on the issue of lenght of the workshop my view is 2500 words, 2000 words is also a good lenght, but one thing about the lenght is that while it's nice to set a 2000-25000 word lenght there is no reasion why a wining story cant be 900 or 1200 words in lenght.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jul 2013 22:50 #32296 by Woodclaw

pansardum wrote: A recreational activity with a supergirl. (All from movie night to mountain climbing or maybe playing board games)

I love this idea, it's easy to fit in a single scene and offers a lot of possibilities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camille Jones

More
16 Jul 2013 22:59 - 16 Jul 2013 23:00 #32297 by clipfreak
Replied by clipfreak on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
Don't know about the word count stuff, but I would like to suggest some topic ideas.

Personally I like the stories with multiple women the best, so my suggestion would be some sort of epidemic going around.

Some of my own ideas I've been playing around with (I actually tried to write a story once, but I can't seem to find the patience and talent for it):

1. Some weird std (that only effects women, but men carry) makes women stronger every time they have sex.

2. Some illegal general public test (e.g. something in the water) goes wrong resulting in many super strong women running around.

3. Your basic weird drug/potion that goes around on a college or something turning more and more women super.

these ideas are heavily influenced by stories like "The librarian", "Graduation day", "Wishing rod" etc etc.

Just my 2 cents, although it might be a better subject for the long story competition.

If someone wants to write one of the suggestions above please feel free, I don't see myself writing anything usable any time soon :(
Last edit: 16 Jul 2013 23:00 by clipfreak.

More
16 Jul 2013 23:17 #32298 by njae

pansardum wrote: I'll get this back on topic and suggest two ideas. :P

• A recreational activity with a supergirl. (All from movie night to mountain climbing or maybe playing board games)

gotta agree with Anon on that, this fits nicely into a single scene.

More
17 Jul 2013 14:55 #32305 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

fats wrote: on the issue of lenght of the workshop my view is 2500 words, 2000 words is also a good lenght, but one thing about the lenght is that while it's nice to set a 2000-25000 word lenght there is no reasion why a wining story cant be 900 or 1200 words in lenght.

fats

Fats has a good point here. With what Castor suggested about the 24hr workshop, I had a brainwave...

Why not do away with the word limits alltogether, and have the workshops based on time? We could have quarterly, and monthly workshops...and a big mutha of an annual workshop. Rapid-fire workshops sound kinda cool, and we could pop one in every now and then if someone's prepared to take the reins and run them.

Some writers are gonna have heaps of material on themes chosen for 1000 word workshops, and we could miss out on potential entries because a story is too long...huh?

Dkc's idea isn't (forgive me bro but I can't resist) the least bit ridiculous. I vote yes for proposition number...what's it. But I wonder if time limits are the go?

Back on topic: A few suggestions for Geekseven's high-jacked thread...

Superheroine faces excessive use of force charge.

How to: an Idiot's Guide to Survivng your Girlfriend's Ascention.

Oops...is it supposed to do that?

'Look Bobby! I found your tractor!'
The following user(s) said Thank You: ong76win2, fats

More
17 Jul 2013 15:52 #32306 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

Dru1076 wrote:

fats wrote: on the issue of lenght of the workshop my view is 2500 words, 2000 words is also a good lenght, but one thing about the lenght is that while it's nice to set a 2000-25000 word lenght there is no reasion why a wining story cant be 900 or 1200 words in lenght.

fats

Fats has a good point here. With what Castor suggested about the 24hr workshop, I had a brainwave...

Why not do away with the word limits alltogether, and have the workshops based on time? We could have quarterly, and monthly workshops...and a big mutha of an annual workshop. Rapid-fire workshops sound kinda cool, and we could pop one in every now and then if someone's prepared to take the reins and run them.

Some writers are gonna have heaps of material on themes chosen for 1000 word workshops, and we could miss out on potential entries because a story is too long...huh?

Dkc's idea isn't (forgive me bro but I can't resist) the least bit ridiculous. I vote yes for proposition number...what's it. But I wonder if time limits are the go?

what a bloody good idea.

fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Jul 2013 16:06 #32308 by ong76win2
Replied by ong76win2 on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

Dru1076 wrote:

fats

Back on topic: A few suggestions for Geekseven's high-jacked thread...

Superheroine faces excessive use of force charge.

How to: an Idiot's Guide to Survivng your Girlfriend's Ascention.

Oops...is it supposed to do that?

'Look Bobby! I found your tractor!'

Wow. I like your topic Superheroine faces excessive use of force charge. How to: An idiot's guide to surviving your girlfriend's ascention. I would love to read this story....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076

More
17 Jul 2013 17:15 #32316 by Woodclaw

Dru1076 wrote:

fats

I already expressed my opinion over the 24 hours workshops idea elsewhere. The idea of timed workshops is kind of 'meh' for me. It's not a bad idea, but it's just not my thing.

More
17 Jul 2013 19:46 #32318 by njae

Dru1076 wrote:

fats

First of all: I guarantee that with a word limit of 2000 or 2500, a story with only about a thousand words won't have a chance to win the poll. Simply because it's shorter.

Second: There's nothing hindering you about posting a story that fits a workshop theme but not the word limit. That story simply wouldn't be part of the workshop and thus be published AFTER the workshop poll - at least there used to be a rule like this. Anyway if someone withholds a story because it was too long, it's the author's own fault.

Adding additional workshop kinds may or may not work. We had the seasonal naming scheme planned out to have short workshops in summer and winter, while spring and fall are normal workshops without any restriction and more time to complete. This concept has been shot down during the last town hall meeting. Personally I would have liked to keep the seasonal workshops and simply add other special workshops as they seem interesting, but we're still in the process of discussing that in the staff.

More
17 Jul 2013 23:50 #32321 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
I guess you really don't like deadlines, Anon. You do realise that the workshops already have them? I'm not sure you understood me at all, as I was doing a lot more than repeating Castor's idea.

Of course writers can post stories based on the theme that don't fit the limits...but why should they be out the running? And I disagree that a shorter story has less chance of winning. Forgive me, but it's not what you got...it's what you do with it. I'd vote for a two-hundred word vignette if it was good enough.

I'm just putting forward an idea, which is what a 'forum' is about. Personally, I've always thought the 1000 word limit was too low. I doubt I could ever manage an entry for that.

How you doing, G7? Have you picked a theme yet?

More
18 Jul 2013 04:13 - 18 Jul 2013 04:14 #32324 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
I am biased becuse i am a fairly fast writer, but the idea of doing quicker contests does have appeal to me.

It also does feed in to i think a good thing which is more content on the site.

I can respect how people don't. I know a lot of slow writers and that is good-i have been there myself.

Writing a page can be a suffering. To use a personal example-i kind of started my first entry for this site about two years ago, worked on it and bits in chunks-but never could quite finish it. It can be hard writing when you don't quite now what to do.

However writing quickly is a challenge-and a fun good one. Its a test at school-yes its terrible but it activates a certain portion of the brain you don't always get to use as an adult. And your writing a comicbook how fun is that?

Thats where the elephants come in the unexpected twist you don't see coming you can't see planed out. It can also be the cliche but even those in the genre can be fun. Yeah why not do the five page sex scene.

Yet I apreciate the 1000 words word its challenges a certain section of the brain. it leads ones to take out words to see where the esence of a story is. It certainly has its place. I do disagree that without a limit the longest story is the one thats going to win. Long on some does not mean good. All stories have there place.

However i don't see why you can't try it or see how it works-if we don't get any entries no one gets prizes.

My two cents.

Castor
Last edit: 18 Jul 2013 04:14 by castor. Reason: added line

More
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds