Amount

Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

18 Jul 2013 07:34 #32325 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

Dru1076 wrote: I guess you really don't like deadlines, Anon. You do realise that the workshops already have them? I'm not sure you understood me at all, as I was doing a lot more than repeating Castor's idea.

Of course writers can post stories based on the theme that don't fit the limits...but why should they be out the running? And I disagree that a shorter story has less chance of winning. Forgive me, but it's not what you got...it's what you do with it. I'd vote for a two-hundred word vignette if it was good enough.

I'm just putting forward an idea, which is what a 'forum' is about. Personally, I've always thought the 1000 word limit was too low. I doubt I could ever manage an entry for that.

I don't like the idea of close deadlines. In general I prefer to work with a deadline because it keep me focused, but I really can't get below certain limits (I will never be able to do a story in 24 hours, even a 1000 words story).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2013 09:42 #32330 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

Of course writers can post stories based on the theme that don't fit the limits...but why should they be out the running?

Because they don't fit the limits? Rules are there for a reason, you know?

And I disagree that a shorter story has less chance of winning. Forgive me, but it's not what you got...it's what you do with it. I'd vote for a two-hundred word vignette if it was good enough.

I do disagree that without a limit the longest story is the one thats going to win. Long on some does not mean good.

The topics for the short workshop are chosen so that they can be worked into a single scene. With a 1000 word limit every author will have to cramp this into this very limit. This means cutting out unnecessary descriptions and phrases to concentrate on what's important for the story. Not to mention keeping the plot to a minimum. Now let's imagine a 2000 word limit. Suddenly you can either write twice the plot and/or make more detailed descriptions on what's going on. Hey you can have the ubergirl crush another car described in perfect detail... Of course, every author will try to make the best of the limit - which in this case is twice as long. A story that still goes by the 1000 word limit would stick out by being half as long as the others and thus have no chance of winning.

I am aware that this effect decreases while the word limit increases further. A 5000 word story can indeed be better than a 10000 word story, but within the current restrictions any increase in words decreases the challenge of the workshop.

So far the schedule for a short workshop was shorter than for a normal workshop due to the word limit. We can try a quick workshop in the future where the deadline is rather short but without any word limit and see how this works out. Personally I'd like to give it a try although I don't see myself performing well there. I've got enough problems with the current deadline already and it doesn't help that I'm not a native speaker.

More
18 Jul 2013 11:01 #32335 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
As an example I'm going to use G7's new story...Sorry G7 :silly:

His new story is an extremely short story. At only 2700 words it wouldn't even make the cut list of the story guidelines were suggesting. And if you cut 200 words from his story it would make a huge impact.

I really liked this story....But it didn't even describe what the girl looked like, what was her motivation? what was her relationship with her ex?....what made her into what she became?

Now lets take this story, and apply Njae suggestion....Lets cut this story by 1700 words.

Unless G7 can prove me wrong....I'll simply say, it would be terrible...A preview at best. And if you don't continue a preview you're just a tease.

I'm certainly not suggesting that it cant be done.....I can just tell you that if I had to pick 50 stories as my faves...none of them would include those that were under 1000 words

• d_k_c
  • Away
More
18 Jul 2013 13:44 - 19 Jul 2013 10:27 #32337 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
Sorry Njae, don't take this wrong way, but I can so see you wearing aviators right now. I will respect your authoritai... ;)

PS Apologies for the the confusing 'thank you', the scroll down button is also the enter key on the ancient phone...
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 10:27 by Dru1076. Reason: Noobness

More
18 Jul 2013 14:01 #32339 by njae

Dru1076 wrote: Sorry Njae, don't take this wrong way, but I can so see you wearing aviators right now. I will respect your auyhoritai... ;)

Not following you there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076

More
18 Jul 2013 14:16 - 18 Jul 2013 14:45 #32340 by Dru1076
I was poking fun at your 'Rules are there for reason, you know' line, my friend. It's a Southpark reference, and trust me, it's funny. I meant no offence...

PS sorry 'bout the confusing 'thank you', the scroll-down button is also an enter key on this ancient phone...
Last edit: 18 Jul 2013 14:45 by Dru1076. Reason: Noobness

More
19 Jul 2013 00:15 #32347 by Dru1076
Okay...It's pretty obvious that the 1000 word limit is important to many of you, and though this workshop doesn't appeal to me I think it's time to stop trying to change it on those it does.

I hope Geekseven found a topic he likes, or at least some inspiration for one of his own, otherwise you lads better brush up on your personality disorders...

More
19 Jul 2013 00:32 #32348 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
I agree

• d_k_c
  • Away
More
19 Jul 2013 04:10 #32349 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
I plan to write about bulimia.

More
19 Jul 2013 06:37 #32350 by Caylane
Replied by Caylane on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

clipfreak wrote: these ideas are heavily influenced by stories like "The librarian", "Graduation day", "Wishing rod" etc etc.

Cant say I've read these stories, do you have some links to them?

More
19 Jul 2013 12:46 #32352 by njae

Dru1076 wrote: Okay...It's pretty obvious that the 1000 word limit is important to many of you, and though this workshop doesn't appeal to me I think it's time to stop trying to change it on those it does.

I hope Geekseven found a topic he likes, or at least some inspiration for one of his own, otherwise you lads better brush up on your personality disorders...

Again I'm not really sure I follow you there. The word limit is still up to discussion and many people want it to be raised. I just wanted to explain why it would be unwise to raise it too high (and 5000+ words definitely fall into that category).

And a workshop with a short time limit rather than a word limit is still an interesting idea and shouldn't be forgotten.

More
20 Jul 2013 22:19 #32383 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
After long and careful consideration, I have selected the following topic:

A recreational activity with a supergirl.

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • inactive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
20 Jul 2013 22:21 #32384 by clipfreak
Replied by clipfreak on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

Caylane wrote:

clipfreak wrote: these ideas are heavily influenced by stories like "The librarian", "Graduation day", "Wishing rod" etc etc.

Cant say I've read these stories, do you have some links to them?

Ok, took some time refinding them but..

Wishing rod: brawna.org/stories/wishing-rod-part-one
Librarian: www.thevalkyrie.com/stories/growth.htm (multiple pages, do a ctrl+f)
Graduation day: hilda.thevalkyrie.com/~xtreme/othrauth.htm (multiple pages, do a ctrl+f)

Note these are somewhat more muscle orientated, usually I'm not to deep into that (unless it maxes at the fitness level) but these stories are contain generic super girls (resulting from the multiple women / story lines).

also they are quite explicit, so if someone minds that don't read them ;)

More
21 Jul 2013 01:19 #32386 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

geekseven wrote: After long and careful consideration, I have selected the following topic:

Damn, I really got mixed feelings about this.
I think it's a good theme, it was after all I that suggested it. :P
But my problem is that I suggested it for the last short workshop too, with a pretty clear idea what I would write if it was choosen then. As you know that wasn't the case and a few weeks I ago I couldn't keep myself from start writing on that idea. Expanding it quite a bit from a 1k story. Question now is if I should cut most of the set up or find a new activity. Or what do you guys say, raise the wordlimit to 5k? :whistle: :silly:

More
21 Jul 2013 04:04 #32387 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread
Ok, so almost completely forgetting that I'm the workshop guy, I've decided to finally respond in this thread .-.

It looks like G7 has chosen: "A recreational activity with a supergirl." for the theme. Now we just have to figure out the word limit.

5k is obviously out of the question, that's way too much. It will either be 1k, 1.5k or 2k. I saw in a different topic that d_k_c suggested we let the winner pic the length (within these limits). What do people think about that?

And a quick friendly reminder, only 10 days left of the current workshop! :blink:

More
21 Jul 2013 08:42 #32389 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Summer 2013 Topic Suggestion Thread

pansardum wrote:

geekseven wrote: After long and careful consideration, I have selected the following topic:

Damn, I really got mixed feelings about this.
I think it's a good theme, it was after all I that suggested it. :P
But my problem is that I suggested it for the last short workshop too, with a pretty clear idea what I would write if it was choosen then. As you know that wasn't the case and a few weeks I ago I couldn't keep myself from start writing on that idea. Expanding it quite a bit from a 1k story. Question now is if I should cut most of the set up or find a new activity. Or what do you guys say, raise the wordlimit to 5k? :whistle: :silly:

Going over 1k is doable. Going up to 5k: not in a million years as far as I'm concerned. :angry:

More
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds