Amount

Continuing stories as workshop entries

18 Jul 2013 09:34 #32327 by Woodclaw
Continuing stories as workshop entries was created by Woodclaw
This thread was inspired by a conversation with Pans in the chat-room.

The big point of contention was: is it fair to post a chapter of an ongoing story and/or a continuation as a workshop entry?

Aside from the fact that it has been done in the past by at least three different authors (including myself), I think it's fair to post a continuation as long as it fits the theme. While a self-contained story might have a harder time to establish characters and setting, whereas a continuation is usually already set, the simple fact of being part of an ongoing narrative might weight it down. People who didn't like the previous installments will automaticly dodge the story and vote for another. So I think that the perks and flaws balanced themselves out somehow.

What do you think?
I know it's tricky business, but I would really like your input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jul 2013 09:39 #32329 by deathgeonous
Replied by deathgeonous on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
Yeah, as long as it fits the theme, I think it should be allowed. Although I'm just a reader of these workshops, so my two cents might not count for as much, but...

More
18 Jul 2013 10:15 #32333 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
i agree with deathgeonous as long as it's with in the theme of the workshop then there should be no problem.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jul 2013 10:39 #32334 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
Im guilty of this too....And I have to say, I completely disagree with it. A WS story should be an original story. Theres a couple reasons why I feel this way

First of all, It throws the original story off its Story Arc

Second of all...Are you voting for the story you just read or the 30 chapters you read prior.

Conceptfan did this for Randolph and Kim....and regardless of what I thought of those chapters he submitted, how could I not vote for Randolph and Kim.

One thing I've recognized....as being a guilty party....Is that its a cheap tactic
The following user(s) said Thank You: pansardum

More
18 Jul 2013 13:57 #32338 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
Funny that this topis should pop up. I very nearly wrote MG14 as an entry, using the changing relationship between Emily and her father, in the current workshop. But I couldn't make it work. I didn't see any problem with a continuation as a stand only entry, as long as you can make it fit the theme then I can't see a problem...

More
18 Jul 2013 15:44 #32342 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
This is a tricky question in my eyes. On the one hand you can never know whether or not the submitted story will be judged as it is or as part of the series it belongs to. I've seen people openly admitting to voting for a continuation, and I'm not really sure if the opposite would be true in the same way.

When it comes to restricted workshops like the shortstory workshop, then I think using a continuation shouldn't be allowed since any explanation and background would be given in earlier installments and thus reducing the challenge imposed by the restriction.

Another variant would be stories in the same universe that could affect an actual series but is still its own story. That would be ok in my eyes (and yes, my workshop entry will be something like this if I finish it in time)

More
18 Jul 2013 18:03 #32343 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries

d_k_c wrote: Im guilty of this too....And I have to say, I completely disagree with it. A WS story should be an original story. Theres a couple reasons why I feel this way

First of all, It throws the original story off its Story Arc

Second of all...Are you voting for the story you just read or the 30 chapters you read prior.

Conceptfan did this for Randolph and Kim....and regardless of what I thought of those chapters he submitted, how could I not vote for Randolph and Kim.

One thing I've recognized....as being a guilty party....Is that its a cheap tactic

njae wrote: This is a tricky question in my eyes. On the one hand you can never know whether or not the submitted story will be judged as it is or as part of the series it belongs to. I've seen people openly admitting to voting for a continuation, and I'm not really sure if the opposite would be true in the same way.

When it comes to restricted workshops like the shortstory workshop, then I think using a continuation shouldn't be allowed since any explanation and background would be given in earlier installments and thus reducing the challenge imposed by the restriction.

Another variant would be stories in the same universe that could affect an actual series but is still its own story. That would be ok in my eyes (and yes, my workshop entry will be something like this if I finish it in time)

While I can see the logic behind this reasoning I want to make something of a counterargument. Based on similar premises any kind of fanfiction should be disallowed as well, since it would make less of a challenge simply to write Kara Zor-El, rather the fleshing out a brand new character.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jul 2013 19:06 #32344 by njae
You're raising an interesting point there. In a short workshop it might truly be unfair to write a fanfic.

More
18 Jul 2013 19:13 #32345 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
Just to clarify, I never talked about not allowing continuations, just wanted to get that out there.
But I don't really like them, for reasons people here already mentioned.

As njae said, In a 1000 word story there's a huge difference between using an already known character versus an original. That being said, I initially thought about doing a Batman entry for the last one and that touches a bit on your point Anon, it's a similar premise.

But I think there is a difference, I really don't think I would vote on a Kara Zor-El story because of earlier stories she might appear in. (Not counting if an author has made his own story arc that he continues.)

The biggest problem for me is, what if I haven't read the earlier story/stories. (well known characters like supergirl/powergirl you usually have some vague idea about, no matter which rock you might have lived under)

Especially with original characters on this site, and especially for the 1k workshop, will I know what really is going on? I think that is an important aspect, but in the end I think it's up to the author to decide.

More
21 Jul 2013 14:12 #32396 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
I definitely don't think that continuations should be banned. As long as they fit the theme, then they should be allowed. Having said that, I do understand that a continuation brings its own baggage with it that could cause people to vote for it. I don't think that's unfair though, any more than it's unfair that some people will vote for a particular author over another or that people buy books because of a particular author's name being on the cover.

If it were to be decided that every entry for a workshop should be a brand new story unrelated to previous ones should it also perhaps be decided that (until the voting is done) the authors should remain anonymous?

More
21 Jul 2013 15:27 #32398 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries

JKIJ wrote: If it were to be decided that every entry for a workshop should be a brand new story unrelated to previous ones should it also perhaps be decided that (until the voting is done) the authors should remain anonymous?

I think this is an interesting idea and wouldn't have anything against it.

But then it would remove almost all chances of continuations.

More
21 Jul 2013 18:00 #32401 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
Thats not a bad idea.

Since its rare for stories to be coninuted before votings done, afterwards its a suprise.

I think most writers are idiosynscratic enough that you would be able to tell fairly easily but its not a bad idea.

Castor

More
21 Jul 2013 22:03 #32404 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Continuing stories as workshop entries
It might be fun to write an anonymous WS down the road. And you're right, it might also be easy to tell who wrote what, based on their particular writing style.

As far as continuations are concerned I called it a cheap tactic, because of what I did before.....And now I realize, I did it again. My story for this WS is pretty long....And only one sentence in the entire story hints of a certain Deity that maybe influencing the entire story....Which in my mind, is a continuation. Although I could easily omit the sentence. I feel its important if I decide to write a part 2 to the story.

That being said....The more the merrier...If a WS is the motivation you need to continue your story. That the topic coincidently falls in line with the path of your story. I say go for it.

And always remember that the c in my name stands for 'Contradiction' :laugh: :P :silly: :sick: :blush:

More
23 Jul 2013 18:33 #32425 by njae

d_k_c wrote: It might be fun to write an anonymous WS down the road. And you're right, it might also be easy to tell who wrote what, based on their particular writing style.

As far as continuations are concerned I called it a cheap tactic, because of what I did before.....And now I realize, I did it again. My story for this WS is pretty long....And only one sentence in the entire story hints of a certain Deity that maybe influencing the entire story....Which in my mind, is a continuation. Although I could easily omit the sentence. I feel its important if I decide to write a part 2 to the story.

That being said....The more the merrier...If a WS is the motivation you need to continue your story. That the topic coincidently falls in line with the path of your story. I say go for it.

And always remember that the c in my name stands for 'Contradiction' :laugh: :P :silly: :sick: :blush:

One sentence that shows that the story takes place in the same universe as another of your works doesn't necessarily count as a continuation in my eyes. Especially since this story won't be able to profit from any "fan of the series" bonus. And considering the Family theme of this workshop it is somehow encouraged to actually use characters from older stories there. My story will be an offender as well btw.

More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds