Amount

Xmas Workshop Result

25 Dec 2013 06:37 #34822 by fats
Xmas Workshop Result was created by fats
Hi all,

OK we have had a workshop running for Xmas but unfortunately due to my bad promotion of the workshop only one entry has been submitted, so Castor has won this workshop with his story entitled How Superwomenmania Saved Christmas a great little tail that I know you will enjoy.

Look out in the new year for the announcements on the workshops.

Again thanks to castor and sorry to all those who did not know that there was a workshop on, I've taken note and I will resolve this in the new year.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Dec 2013 06:45 - 25 Dec 2013 06:56 #34823 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Xmas Workshop Result
I guess congratulations are in order!

I sent my entry 'Gemma at the Gym' in through Lfan...seeing that I'm a 'legend' I was worried about it going straight into the library and being disqualified or something. Since then, I have found the right place to send workshop entries, and so this will not happen next time. I'll just pop my 'entry' straight into the library now...it wasn't a Christmassy story anyway.

Congratulations Castor!!
Last edit: 25 Dec 2013 06:56 by Dru1076. Reason: Noobness

More
25 Dec 2013 14:09 #34826 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Xmas Workshop Result
but where is the actual story?

More
25 Dec 2013 14:34 #34828 by Dru1076
It's on the list...but not at the top. I think it goes on submission date or something, so look down the list a little.

Or click here: www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...christmas&Itemid=596

More
26 Dec 2013 14:21 #34841 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Xmas Workshop Result
Mea Culpa time! This is entirely MY fault, Dru, and I apologize to you and everyone else. Due to the holidays and last minute rushing, I kinda got behind and never coordinated with FATS. I didn't realize there was only one entry besides yours and thus an "automatic winner". My apologies....

ElF

More
26 Dec 2013 18:30 #34849 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Xmas Workshop Result
So far the only precedent of a single entry workshop was the 1.11. As far as I remeber this wasn't considered a "default win", but rather a botched workshop.

More
26 Dec 2013 18:45 #34852 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Xmas Workshop Result
If I remember correctly this workshop didn't have any price, so being the winner is really just a title here.

More
26 Dec 2013 19:00 - 26 Dec 2013 19:28 #34853 by Dru1076
Well...as the only other potential winner of this workshop, I don't have a problem with Castor being declared a victor. If the other team is no show, then it's a forfeit, and the team that does show wins, no matter if the no-shows absences was their own fault or not. Isn't that how it works? I've always thought so, anyway....I'd suggest that whoever entered that other one horse race should also be declared a winner. I mean...they were there, weren't they? Even if no one else was. Be reasonable,gentlemen, It's not Castors fault my story or anyone else's didn't compete with his, why should anyone try to take this away from him? I think I'm the only one with the right to bitch about this, and I'm fine with it.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2013 19:28 by Dru1076. Reason: Still a Noob

More
26 Dec 2013 20:26 #34854 by castor
How about we do a poll between the stories-if Dru didn't get his story in on time, thats not a good reason to exclude it especially since they made a point about asking for more time if anyone needed it.

i would prefer an honest poll, becuse winning and loosing is less important to me then just getting feedback on the story.

More
26 Dec 2013 21:30 #34858 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic Xmas Workshop Result

castor wrote: i would prefer an honest poll, becuse winning and loosing is less important to me then just getting feedback on the story.

If feedback is Castor's priority, then perhaps could do better than a poll. As we all know, polls are simply votes, and are frustratingly vague. What if we all-- everyone on this thread-- were to pledge to send Castor some detailed, thoughtful feedback?

Castor has shown a real enthusiasm to produce material for the site -- and a prolific amount of it. Now, he's telling us that he hungry for feedback. In my view, someone who has shown his level of productivity, combined with a desire to hear feedback, deserves to get some.

Moreover, I'd suggest sending this feedback by PM. Direct, private communication allows us to be much more frank and conversational than the forums allow.

What do you all say to that idea?
The following user(s) said Thank You: somat, Dru1076

More
26 Dec 2013 21:49 #34859 by njae

circes_cup wrote: ...

Who are you and how did you hack circes_cups account? Seriously, you're one of the last people whom I expected to make such a call given that when you did post in the feedback threads for a certain workshop, you only addressed one or two stories at most while ignoring every other entry.

More
26 Dec 2013 22:12 #34861 by Dru1076

circes_cup wrote:

To that idea...I say this: I like you Circes. You got generosity and class, as well as being a very talented author. There needs to be more guys around like you.

More
26 Dec 2013 23:51 #34864 by castor

circes_cup wrote:

castor wrote: i would prefer an honest poll, becuse winning and loosing is less important to me then just getting feedback on the story.

If feedback is Castor's priority, then perhaps could do better than a poll. As we all know, polls are simply votes, and are frustratingly vague. What if we all-- everyone on this thread-- were to pledge to send Castor some detailed, thoughtful feedback?

Castor has shown a real enthusiasm to produce material for the site -- and a prolific amount of it. Now, he's telling us that he hungry for feedback. In my view, someone who has shown his level of productivity, combined with a desire to hear feedback, deserves to get some.

Moreover, I'd suggest sending this feedback by PM. Direct, private communication allows us to be much more frank and conversational than the forums allow.

Thank you very much Circes-thats very nice of you for suggesting that.

I feel guilty for in the story that this is about superwomanmania saves christmas-i mispelled your name(accidentally) and made you primary personality trait being that you like the movie GhostBusters. Also you wear a toga.

More
27 Dec 2013 02:24 #34865 by lfan

njae wrote:

circes_cup wrote: ...

Who are you and how did you hack circes_cups account? Seriously, you're one of the last people whom I expected to make such a call given that when you did post in the feedback threads for a certain workshop, you only addressed one or two stories at most while ignoring every other entry.

Are you joking or are you seriously calling out someone for not formally giving feedback?!? First of all, the fact that he commented on ANY of the entries puts in a selective minority. Secondly, Circes didn't suggest forum feedback but rather PMs or private communications. How do you know he didn't PM some of the other authors?

ElF

More
27 Dec 2013 07:58 #34872 by njae

lfan wrote: First of all, the fact that he commented on ANY of the entries puts in a selective minority.

If he had used the commenting function this would have most definitely escaped my attention altogether. But he gave his feedback in the forum threads dedicated to the workshops, where everybody who posted did post feedback for all participants. In other words he was the only one to give selective feedback and more than once so he stuck out.

lfan wrote: Secondly, Circes didn't suggest forum feedback but rather PMs or private communications. How do you know he didn't PM some of the other authors?

Hm my PM inbox but more importantly this post pretty much suggested otherwise:

circes_cup wrote: ... -- I'm not going to review all eight of the stories, but this one by...

As unpleasant as it was, I was telling the truth here. Thanks for those of you who found it worthy of affecting my karma ... makes things easier in the long run.

More
27 Dec 2013 15:29 #34877 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic Xmas Workshop Result
I hadn't been aware that njae (and possibly others?) were dissappointed with how I handled commentary on past workshops. However, to the extent you have an issue with something I've done, it shouldn't affect how we respond to Castor.

Castor, as far as I can tell, has produced more material this calendar year than anyone else. And now he's asking for some feedback. I'm going to send him a PM. You do whatever you think is appropriate.

More
27 Dec 2013 19:33 #34878 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Xmas Workshop Result

circes_cup wrote: I hadn't been aware that njae (and possibly others?) were dissappointed with how I handled commentary on past workshops.

To be completly honest I have been dissatisfied as well. While one more opinion is always appreciated, giving your feedback only to2-3 stories out of the entire workshop batch is an issue for me. Simply put, it gave the wrong impression that those stories were the only worth of attention in your eyes. Hence those authors who got no feedback - positive r negative - are left in the dark about the quality of their narrative, which kind of defies the whole purpose of a workshop.

However, to the extent you have an issue with something I've done, it shouldn't affect how we respond to Castor.

Castor, as far as I can tell, has produced more material this calendar year than anyone else. And now he's asking for some feedback. I'm going to send him a PM. You do whatever you think is appropriate.

I think that - unless you have private matters to discuss with Castor - public feedback will be better, since it would allow for better visibility and might start a worthy discussion.

More
27 Dec 2013 20:13 #34881 by lfan

circes_cup wrote: I hadn't been aware that njae (and possibly others?) were dissappointed with how I handled commentary on past workshops. However, to the extent you have an issue with something I've done, it shouldn't affect how we respond to Castor.

I wasn't dissapointed. I personally do the lionshare of my critiques and feedback via email or PMs.

ElF

More
28 Dec 2013 01:19 #34883 by Camille Jones
Replied by Camille Jones on topic Xmas Workshop Result
Well, I never get much feedback on the majority of my stories either aside from njae, Anon and Pansardum whenever he is around. But I guess I can start with some feedback on Castor's story:

What I like - I have to admit, the parodies on some of the cast (myself included) were rather spot on and hilarious. I couldn't help but laugh at the jabs directed towards me, and I sounded whiny/depressed as hell! And I think that is where your strength lies overall.

What I didn't like - I'm going to admit that personally, your writing style makes it rather difficult for me to get into any of your stories. I feel you can actually be a better writer if you actually sit down and take the time to flesh out the details instead of leaving us with rather short quips here and there that makes it hard for me to follow through. There were some misses in the characterization and some of the parodies overall and by the end I was left confused as to what exactly happened.

You'd think that superspeed would make me more punctual, huh?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076

More
28 Dec 2013 01:45 #34884 by njae

circes_cup wrote: I hadn't been aware that njae (and possibly others?) were dissappointed with how I handled commentary on past workshops.

You're a fellow author, so you should be aware that openly commenting on a small fraction of the stories makes the other authors feel ignored.

The lack of feedback has been a big issue to me, but that really doesn't belong into this thread.

More
28 Dec 2013 04:10 - 28 Dec 2013 04:11 #34888 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Xmas Workshop Result

feedback [ˈfiːdˌbæk]
n
1. (Electronics)
a. the return of part of the output of an electronic circuit, device, or mechanical system to its input, so modifying its characteristics. In negative feedback a rise in output energy reduces the input energy; in positive feedback an increase in output energy reinforces the input energy
b. that part of the output signal fed back into the input
2. (Electronics & Computer Science / Telecommunications) the return of part of the sound output by a loudspeaker to the microphone or pick-up so that a high-pitched whistle is produced
3. (Music) the whistling noise so produced
4. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology)
a. the effect of the product of a biological pathway on the rate of an earlier step in that pathway
b. the substance or reaction causing such an effect, such as the release of a hormone in a biochemical pathway
5. (Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) information in response to an inquiry, experiment, etc. there was little feedback from our questionnaire
vb feed back
adv
1. (Engineering / General Engineering) (tr) to return (part of the output of a system) to its input
2. to offer or suggest (information, ideas, etc.) in reaction to an inquiry, experiment, etc.

However you do it, However you received it, However you act on it, is it not the most important thing that people are reading it, when ever I post something or come up with something that is feel would make the site better, I like to receive some feedback. do I go nuts if I don't get feedback? No. What I find more important is the view count, if no one views the post then I would feel shitty, if there is 300 views and no feedback, I would take that as I need to do something that needs changing, if you live and die based on your feedback then you really need to review your thinking on what counts when you publish something the fact that there are a number of ways to respond to a story shows that sometimes there are too many ways to get feedback.

I would suggest that the first rule of writing is write for your own self gratification rather than for feedback, if you don't feel joy in writing for yourself then maybe you need to look at why you are writing in the first place.

Can there be too brutal feedback given, yes and no. Some writers take great pride in stirring up the pot and getting people riled and getting nasty feedback, some look for feedback that is nice and gentle, I think it's always a good idea to say in the opening whether or not the feedback wanted is hard or soft, let the viewer know, that way there wouldn't be any issues.

Feedback via PM or email, this should be looked on as the best form of feedback as it allows people the chance to engage with the viewer and get the truest sense of where the viewers sees the story going.

Lastly, I would like to say that on the issue of the winner of the workshop, if there is only one submission then they have won by default, I don't see how it could be looked at in any other way, in professional events when there is a only one runner or one tennis player that person has won that race or round. I don't see how that could not work when there is only one entry.

Fats
Last edit: 28 Dec 2013 04:11 by fats.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Dec 2013 04:39 #34889 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Xmas Workshop Result
I have been critical of Castors stories - but one thing I cant be critical of, is his effort.

Also - Out of all the authors on this site that seek feedback, Castor is the only author that actively gives his feed back to practically every story he reads.

I'm going to agree with Circes on this one.

More
29 Dec 2013 08:22 #34896 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Xmas Workshop Result
While I am pretty good at data analysis and seeing the big picture from a few small parts, I am not that good a writer to start with and I feel that I am totally unqualified to be a critic, therefore, I do not engage in critiquing stories. I much prefer to give thanks and encouragement for the effort along with kudos when folks come up with something especially clever or kool. I had one story recently smashed a bit harshly I felt right up front after it had been up for like less than a day which I thought might have discouraged some folks from reading it, but I don't let that get to me.

I love the hit meter. If several hundred people are reading a story I wrote, (let alone a few thousand), then I feel like I am making a contribution to the site. That's really all the positive re-enforcement that I need but I realize that other folks have different needs than mine in this area. It's our fantastic story bank, the best on the web in my opinion that makes this site so great. It just seems that all to often people who are working hard on output get discouraged with negative (or no positive) feedback and I always hate to see it, and I really don't want any part of that.

So I am going to thank all the writers this past year who took the time to turn thoughts and ideas into stories as several of you really made my day and gave me a good reason to come home after a long day at work and check in to see "What's new!"

Ace
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
29 Dec 2013 11:33 #34897 by njae
*sigh* I really didn't intend to turn this thread into just another "we need more feedback" thread as I know full well that feedback can't be forced as has been shown in the past. My last post here was the product of a bad mood combined with too much alcohol.

About the hit meter: It is a helpful tool, which is why I made it available in the classic library views and the "My stories" view for the average user during my time as librarian. Still, it shouldn't be overrated. It just gives one simple information and that is how many times the story was opened. And the reason for it being opened can be affected by several things. Time being the most obvious and important one. In my case, my first submission has by far the most hits not because it is that good (I consider it my worst) but because the continuations for that frequently turned the attention back to it. The high amount of hits was bought over a long time here where others manage to get a lot more of attention in a much shorter timespan. At this point stuff like the amount of ratings/favorites as well as the comments give much more information about the reception.

Anyway back to topic. I'll give Castor my feedback the next time I meet him in the chatroom as that's where I get most of my feedback as well. Meeting him sounds easier than it is considering the different time zones which pretty much defined the way "I" acted in his story (with the exception of the Ghostbusters discussion).

More
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds