Amount

"I Wish I Was Kryptonian" Art Contest Entries - Thread Two

19 Oct 2014 14:14 #38591 by argonaut
I overlooked one of my top seven:

Daphne, by TGK: TGK is my "go-to guy" whenever I want an illustration for one of my Super Daphne stories, so he has some experience drawing the character. This is a very pretty Daphne in an homage to an iconic Power Girl cover. I think some sort of narrative element would have given the drawing more impact, but it's an appealing image nevertheless.

Still trying to narrow these seven down to three ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2014 02:11 #38611 by willow
Excellent selection and quality among all of the entries. Here are my comments on Top 3 Faved, Disliked, or other Commentary:

Top 3 Faved

Daphne/Velma by KFour9 - I am a sucker for super-powered destruction, and loved the anime style that the characters were drawn in. It has enough perspective that you can see the action without doing an entire battlefield panorama. Definitely my top pick in the contest.

Lana Lang Flight by KKR222 - The colors are absolutely beautiful in this one. I also loved Lana's expression as she soars upwards. I would have preferred a more action-orientated type piece, but got completely sold on the colors and expression.

Lara Croft by Archsider - I like how Lara is burning away the bullets with heat vision, and others are just bouncing off her. I liked the colors and framing that it was done in. My only comment would be that I would have drawn the guns as mangled as if she crushed them before tossing them away. Three abilities in use at the same time. Otherwise, still one of my top 3 choices.

Top 2 Really, Really Disliked

Daphne by TGK - I usually like TGK's work that he has done for some of the writers on this site. However, I immediately felt that I had seen this before and found that I actually had (see larafan.deviantart.com/art/Powergirl-Lois-54592361), which made it feel like a lazy effort in the contest. For someone who has done some great work, it felt like an entry that was "phoned in" for the contest.

BloodRayne by EvK - The perspective on this is terrible, and I hate the coloring style. It is impossible to tell what is happening. Is that a tank? A spaceship? Why is it made of wood? Is she pulling someone out of that huge glass cockpit? Or pushing someone against it? The caption text starts with what could be a great Kryptonian-style feat, but the execution just falls completely flat.

Honorable Mentions/Critiques

Zelda by VexyFate - I like this pic. However, I think the main flaw is the perspective is too close. I would have preferred if the character was another 2 or 3 feet from the drawn distance. This would have given a better look at the boulder being lifted, and the destruction that appears to be raging around her. Overall, it is a good work with a lot of fun potential.

Mary Jane by T. Persi - I like the water-colory look to this, but think it causes a major flaw. The perspective is kind of hard to make out what she is doing (supposedly flying, but could easily just be standing somewhere). The colors of the red hair and red eyes overlap too much with each other. I can't tell if her eyes are just supposed to be glowing, shooting red energy beams, or something else. The effect gets lost in the equally red hair. Maybe have the hair off a little more to one side. However, the water-color look would give a natural motion blur effect is drawn as if Mary Jane is rocketing through the sky.

Catwoman by MRO16 - I really do like this pic. However, at first glance, I did mistake the steel bars holding Batman as some grey-colored rope. It comes into perspective after looking at the bank vault destruction. I like how the pic is a bit more subtle in showing the aftermath of the event. I would have preferred a bit more destruction to emphasize the point, but still think it is a very good entry into the contest.

Marceline by G. Woronchak - While I have never seen Adventure Time, I am aware of it. My biggest complaint is the Kryptonian feat seems very weak. There are lots of stories where vampires burst out of their graves to feast upon the blood of the living. So seeing a vampire burst or jump out of her grave does not feel very Kryptonian to me, especially when it appears to be happening at either dusk or night.

More
21 Oct 2014 12:09 - 21 Oct 2014 12:10 #38614 by Woodclaw
Part two of my feedback, again see the first part fro the big caveat.

Lara Croft by Archsider

I think that other other picture gave me as much problems as this one. On the positive side I think that the author did a great job to cram as much superpowers as he could into it, working with a rather difficult angle too. Unfortunatly this backfire slightly in the anatomy department, making the two halves of Lara's body look like they aren't connected to each other. Also I have one big issue: without the title I couldn't honestly tell it was Lara at first glance; I don't know if it's colors or smething else, but she really don't look the part to me. In the end a great idea and a rather interesting execution, but something just didn't click.

Incredibles by Inspector97

This one left me a bit underwhelmed for one simple reason: the source material. I love "The Incredibles", it's probably my favorite Pixar movie and this is where I draw my problems. I really don't see the need for this picture. Elastigirl kicked ungodly amounts of ass in the movie with her original power-set, giving her super-strength really don't do much for me. Aside from that there's little I don't like about this picture: the character are recognizable, the scene works well (although it could use a bit of background) and I'm a big fan of superhero comedy done right and this look like it.

Leia by Rock Baker

A really solid entry with a definite pin-up feel, as highlighted by the painfully empty background. This is a pretty good picture, although the surprised look on Leia's face seemed a little out of place at first.

Zatanna by Cara Russell

This one is hard to like and dislike to me. The chosen art style don't rank among my top choices, not because it's a sketch card, but because the proportions reminds me tragically of the Bratz. The concept in the picture was done before by a couple of authors -- including TGK -- and it's nice to see how a different author approaches the same concept.

Cinderella by Jamil

In spite of being both a fan of the concept of a superpowered Disney princess, I don't like this one. Nothing is wrong with the execution, but the piece feels bland to me. The character's face don't look the part and the idea of just slapping Cindy in a Supergirl's outfit without any attempt at reworking it a bit just killed the interest.

Marceline by Woronchak

Same as other I've watched very little of Adventure Time, still this picture has a bit of appeal to me. I like the homage to Action Comics #242, the background adds a lot to the scene and Marcelline really look the part while bursting out of the grave. Given that there's one big negative: attempted realism. I have to agree with Castor on this: the art style of Adventure Time (even if I don't like it) is very peculiar and adds tons of character to the show, attempting to do the same characters in a realistic way just don't gel with the overall theme.

Anna(s) by Tokio92

Confession time: I have watched Frozen, yet.
While the Ariel piece is probably the closest to the original animation style, I think that Tokio92 nailed how to mix a superheroine costume with the movie designs. While the superstrength picture is very well done, but also very basic, the flying one really nails it. Even if the characters aren't at the center of the picture -- usually a minus -- in this case it works because it showcase the dynamism of the scene and since there's nothing obstructing the view they pop from the background. Also I'm really impressed how good the author is with the facial expressions.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2014 12:10 by Woodclaw.

More
23 Oct 2014 15:47 #38646 by lfan
My last batch of feedback.......

#16 -- Anna by Tokio92
========================
I have never seen Frozen, but I've seen enough clips and heard 'that song' enough to get the overall gist of the movie. That said, while I wasn't as familiar with the character of Anna as I was with some of the others, I completely fell for this pic. Tokio92 did a fantastic job of customizing a superheroine outfit from her movie outfit in such a way that she looks meant to be a superheroine! Combine that with the fact that the artwork and coloring is, IMO, simply spectacular and crisp. Love the feat of strength as she carries Sven and really love the expressions on BOTH their faces -- her confident, playful look and his expression of "yep, she's really doing this!". Loved everything about it. If I had to give one criticism, it was that her left leg looked a little off. Maybe is too short or maybe it was the fact that her toe wasn't pointed, but it detracted (for me) from the overall flow of her flight. However, this was very minor and didn't even come close for me to leave it out of my TOP 5.

#17 -- Harley by Woronchak
======================
Another great pic that barely missed out on my Top 5. I LOVE the cheesecake/pinup pose of Harley especially in this one as well as the nice touch (as aforementioned) of having Puddin's face on the mallet. The sheer feat of strength of effortlessly lifting the car was also tops in my book! I guess I would have liked to have seen more detail and/or background in the pic, rather than a plain yellow background.

#18 -- Tinkerbell by MSonia
======================
Top 5! To appreciate this pic fully, I would encourage everyone to view the large version which is riddled with detailed rendering! From Tink's "glow" to the weathered bolts and boards, to her eyelashes, this pic is chock full of details which made it impossible to keep out of my Top 5. The musculature on the little pixie is also fabulous where it conveys a definitive sense of superstrength and showing off -- just in case you missed the cannonball she's easily lifting overhead. Added to that are her gorgeous superstrong legs crinkling the cannon beneath her......WOW! While it would be difficult to pick at something I didn't like for this pic, I think her leg positioning might have been better if she was straddling the cannon more and crushing it, rather than sitting up on it. I think sitting on it lends itself bettter to the scene, IMHO.

#19 -- Anna2 by Tokio92
===================
Another fabulous Anna pic by Tokio92, with the same incredible skill and coloring as her previous entry. While I loved the sense of movement and exhibition of flight in this one -- as well as the picturesque background -- I thought this pic suffered a little from the same issue as Nippy's Ariel pic in that the subject (Anna) didn't seem to be the star of the pic, it was the beautiful landscape (love the little village and the waterfall)! That might have been by design, but I didn't care for it as much as her first pic. Also, I would have liked to have seen a flight "trail" behind Anna to give her a better sense of movement in the pic as she zooms over the mountains.

#20 -- Daphne/Velma by Kfour9
========================
Talk about Girl Power! This one is chock full of uberness as the Scooby girls kick ass amidst a fire fight. Overall, I liked the pic and while not a huge fan of the "anime style", I thought Kfour9 did a great job of drawing sexy and recognizable versions of Daphne and Velma. I particularly LOVED the detail of Velma's glasses shattering as her heat vision rips through them....FANTASTIC touch! One of my issues with the piece -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- is there seems to be TOO MUCH going on in the pic -- there's smoke, fire, and bullet trails everywhere you look which makes it a little too busy for me. Also, the coloring of the pic, to me, seems a little "too hot" with the orange/red pallet dominating the pic and almost distracting from it. Aside from Daphne's dress, there are very few "cool" colors to offset and balance it.

#21 -- Mary jane by T Persi
=====================
Nice water color rendition of MJ in flight here! Onne of the things that I loved about the entries was the variety of styles and interpretations and this one was no exception. I loved her rendition and MJ looks supersexy in her familiar fangirl T-Shirt, but the lack of "action" in this pic prevented me from liking it more than I did.

#22 -- Anna by Fradarlin
===================
Another pic by Fradarlin and yet ANOTHER pic of Anna. Of all the characters available, I never would have thought that Anna would have the most entries, but I digress......I liked this pic a lot and again appreciated the details in the ways the bullets were bouncing off her. Fabulous details in this pic as well, most notably Anna's braids. However, where this pic fell short for me were the faces (yes, I'm being picky). It's not that they were bad, I just didn't like the style of how they were depicted (big eyes/angular features) as much. I also would have liked to have seen a more creative outfit for Anna (like Tokio92 did) as opposed to just slapping a cape on her.

#23 --Bloodrayne by EvK
===================
Not being familiar with the character,, I again was "working out of a hole" here, but aside from the lack of details and "sharpness" in the inset pic (e.g. face and hair), The larger view's scale was so skewed that you couldn't really understand what was going on without the accompanying description. The character was drawn so tiny next to the scale of the machine that is was negligible. For me, that was the major crit for this piece.

#24 -- Rapunzel by Xplotter
=====================
This one aptly fits the phrase "you cannot pick all of them" cause it was probably the first one on the bubble outside my Top 5. I love, love, LOVED the rendering and details in this one, especially when you blow it up. The lace and ties on her dress....Pascal's grainy skin texture......and don't get me going about that hair -- all 40 feet of it beautifully drawn and rendered! And the dynamic flow of the pic was outstanding with her hair and dress flowing in flight and Flynn's hair blowing as well -- great attention to detail. I guess where this one fell short personally for me was the fact she is just exhibiting flight (I guess some minor showing of superstrength as well carrying Flynn). I probably would have liked it better with her exhibiting more superness. Also, while I appreciated the artists willingness to up the ante in terms of her body position (i.e. non-traditional angle/perspective), I keep looking at that right leg and foot and think it distracts from the pic. The foot looks "less feminine" to me with that perspective and the leg overall seems to be rotated at the hip too much, IMO. Still......a fabulous image!

#25 -- Lara Croft by E Matos
======================
Great pic and another one that narrowly missed out of my Top 5. I particularly liked the detailing of the artifact's energy as she clutched it. Nice dynamic pose/action. The coloring/rendering seemed to be digitally painted over which was nice but seemed overexposed to me -- or blurry -- in certain parts. Still, a very nice and solid entry of everyone's favorite Tomb Raider!

#26 -- Rapunzel by Machelli
======================
A neat "cosplay" interpretation of Rapunzel and Flynn here, with some fabulous customizations of their costumes. I especially loved Rapunzel's medeviel Supergirl outfit -- a nice interpretation. And while she is demonstrating she is super, she definitely looks the part with those abs! WOW! If I had to nitpick, it would be the lack of a background and surrounding details that kept this one of of my Top 5, but I did think this was an outstanding entry!

#27 -- Harley by R.C. Larkins
======================
As opposed to some entires, this one is chock full of action in the background. However, I think it falls a little short with me for the lack of details and rendering (everything is very "blocky") in the pic. Its a shame cause its such a fun pic and I love some of the details like the batmobile being folded on itself.

#28 -- Lois by Ellinsworth
====================
I think this was was a stylistic issue for me, cause I don't know why I didn't like this one more. I think Ellinsworth did a great job with the coloring and some of the details (e.g. bullet holes, bullet fragments, the purse she is carrying), and I simply love the expressions shown -- Lois: I'm so pissed now! Gunman: OMG! We're fucked! Again, I think it came down to the fact that I prefer the more traditional comic style and rendering rather than the painted style shown here, but that is my personal preference and, as for the MJ pic, is not meant to be an indicting flaw of the entry.

WHEW! That took longer than I expected, but what a great "problem" to have with so many entries! Again, I want to thank all the artists/sponsors who participated, and I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments, as they were meant to convey MY PERSONAL sentiments and hopefully helpful critiques rather than just say somethign less tangible than "loved the pic!".

Soooooooo.....I picked a top 5 and now I think I've narrowed it down to my top 3 which I just voted for this morning:

1. Anna by Tokio92
2. Tinkerbell by MSonia
3. Lana Lang (Flight) by kkr222

Just a reminder that we still have 8 days of voting left, so get to the polls to support your faves!

Peace
ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Oct 2014 15:54 #38647 by thewisewatcher
Congratulations to all of the artists, this has to be the best art contest in this site's history. I only wish I could draw so that I can enter.

More
24 Oct 2014 12:20 #38662 by Markiehoe
Just voted!
There was a clear winner for me.
But so many great entries made two and three very difficult to pick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
24 Oct 2014 16:02 #38663 by Woodclaw
Final batch of comment from me.

Harley by Woronchak

This piece very simple and basic, but also very good. Harley definitly looks the part and the details of the costume and the mallet are really nice. I have but one complain: that the author could have gone one tiny bit further and add a bit of a context (and maybe making that car into the Batmobile). A nice piece, definitly in with the theme with a very clean style.

Tinkerbell by MSonia

Tinkerbell was never -- and never will be -- a character I like. There's simply nothing that clicks for me, but this picture is a definite excellent work. The details are excellent, the addition of a bit of muscle makes Tink look pretty good and the fact that she's still tiny adds an unexpected perspective to the whole thing. I'm not too keen on the onomatopeia, but I can live with that.

Daphne/Velma by Kfour9

The first thing I thought when I saw this one was simply "Wow!". In terms of action this piece has more going on than all the others, the fact of depicting two characters at once surely helps a lot. The art style reminds me of the Mystery Inc. series from a couple of years ago, which is perfect for a moderm rendition of Daphne and Velma. Unfortunatly -- as LFan noted -- there's perhaps a little too much going on, making the result a bit too cluttered between the smoke, the fire and the bullet trails. The fact that Velma's colors makes her one with the background don't help either, but this is hardly the author's fault. As far as action pieces goes this one is the top for me.

Mary Jane by T Persi

Watercolors are a medium that is very hit or miss for me. If done right they're amazing, if done wrong they're just a confused mess. This piece definitly does them right. The subject of MJ getting powers is probably the third most typical of this genre (right after Lois and Lana) and this piece takes it kind of lightweight. While there's definitely heat vision going on, nothing else screams powers to me. The choice of using an American shot (i.e. representing the subject from the knees/tighs upward) worked against the final result because left me wonder if she's actually flying or not. Overall good technique, but not a good representation, I fear.

Anna by Fradarlin

Having the same subject it's a little hard not to compare this piece with Tokyo92's works and it's actually a really hard comparison. The piece works, the action flows well (I love the hand block detail), the characters are recognizable in spite of the different art style (something hard to do) although I'm a little disappointed by the choice of putting Anna and Else in the same pose and next to each other. What really doesn't gel with me is the choice of moving the characters out of context: Anna's costume looks suspiciosly too much like latex and putting her against firearms instead of crossbows is a big downer since it breaks my immersion a lot.

Bloodrayne by EvK

No! Just no! Every contest has a taillight and this one s for me. Nothing in this picture works as it should. As I noted in the Ariel picture depicting super-strength without sacrificing the main character is hard and this piece does it in the worst possible way: by making the main character just a blotch of paint against the much bigger object. Plus I can't really tell what the object is supposed to be and the close-up insert looks nothing like Rayne in my eyes. I'm very sorry, but I can't anything that works here.

Rapunzel by Xplotter

Of the two Rapunzel pieces this is the one that distance itself more from the original style, but that's not a bad thing, the characters are still definitely recognizable which spoke volumes about the artist's skill. The biggest plus of this picture is the crazy level of detail, from the hair to the dress, not to mention the excellent looks on the faces.
While I applaude to chocie of going for a non-conventional angle and pose, that's alos where most of the problems of this picture comes from. While the proportions are probably right given the perspective, some bits are too distracting and feel a bit weird.

Lara Croft by E Matos

This picture is very classic in many ways, from the dynamic pose, to the face design (which reminds me of some old comics), to the choice of represent Lara in her most traditional outfit and incarnation. Yet, it feels strangely refreshing. There's one bit that looks very strange to me: Lara' eyes. She seems to be looking at the artifact instead of right in front of her. I know that being super makes you less concerned about what's in your way, but it gives her face a weird angle. Still very solid piece and good rendition of Lara.

Rapunzel by Machelli

Compared to Xplotter work, this feels a lot more conventional, but I still love this picture. Once again there an astounding amount of details here and I like the idea of the modified costumes, adding a joke/cosplay element moves this picture up a notch for me. The subtle hint of flight give by Rapunzel's pose is a great detail. The lack of a good background detracts a bit from the final result, but I can see that the picture is already pretty cluttered with details.

Harley by R.C. Larkins

This picture shares one problem with the Daphne/Velma above: too much going on. The scene is cluttered with references to Gotham (the Batmobile, the hyenas, the strip-club from Injustice etc.) unfortunatly something (I believe it's coloring) flatten everything together and makes the picture hard to the eye. Harley looks good, being both powerful and apparently innocent in her destructive way, which is spot on with her character. I might not be a fan of this art style, but I recognize the effort and the attention that went into this picture.

Lois by Ellinsworth

Oh my god, I love this picture. I don't know what is but it defintly clicks with me. While the action is a bit low, this is what I would call the calm before the storm. This picture hints rather than showing at what is coming and it does it with style and very thought out details (the burning purse is fantastic). The outline and the coloring seem a bit off respect to other pieces by Ellinsworth, but works really well here.

More
24 Oct 2014 16:47 #38664 by Rich
Will the winning picture also have a story commission as well? Seems like that would be fitting.

More
24 Oct 2014 17:13 #38666 by Woodclaw

Rich wrote: Will the winning picture also have a story commission as well? Seems like that would be fitting.

Plans are being made ;)

More
24 Oct 2014 17:31 #38667 by Agent00Soul
I voted. I loved most of them, but there were 3 I clearly liked best and a 1 clearly liked best so it wasn't so hard. Thanks to all the artists!

More
25 Oct 2014 22:21 #38677 by inactive
I was hugely impressed by the turnout and the quality of the entries. I'm going to cherry-pick to make some comments.

KKR222's Lana series were beautifully done, with a nice variety of powers on display. Lana has an otherworldly, slightly detached look to her that befits her status as a demi-goddess.

I loved the attitudes of Fradarlin's piece. It captures the exuberance, the rush of joy, that Batgirl must feel the first time that a bullet bounces off her. Supergirl seems happy that her friend can share in the feeling of being super.

MR016 tackles one of my favorite fantasies: super-Catwoman. Her playfulness is what I love about this one, because you know that's how Selina would be.

Another character I often fantasize about becoming super is Lara Croft. How cool would tomb-raiding be if she could lift any block or boulder, be resistant to any trap? Archsider and E. Matos (who is great to work with, BTW) do a nice job with her. Archsider's Lara has an arrogant swagger, but E. Matos's Lara seems so happy to be super that I can't help but love her.

I love KFour9's entry. I especially love that Velma is in the mix, because Daphne often gets all the attention. Velma's glasses shattering is a great touch. The scene is chaotic, violent, and powerful, which is how I imagine it would be when superwomen let loose.

T. Persi's Mary Jane I like for its slightly "otherworldly" look, which I think captures the alienness that somebody with those powers would have. The fact that the red of her plasma eyes resonates with her famous red hair is a nice touch, I think.

There is some of the same effect in Ellinsworth's Lois, but putting her in a city setting makes her more grounded. Lois Lane is serious and professional in a way that Clark Kent never was, and she carries that attitude through with super-powers. The look on her face says that she cannot believe how stupid you are for shooting her.

- GeekSeven

More
31 Oct 2014 16:02 #38795 by Markiehoe
Don't forget to VOTE!

More
31 Oct 2014 16:14 #38796 by fats
the poll will close in just under 8 hours from now.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Oct 2014 16:41 - 01 Nov 2014 00:43 #38797 by castor
This is a tricky one.

I will be curious to see if theres a clear winner with so many strong entries. But i supose from a contest standpoint thats a good problem to have.Easily 3/4s of these entries i wouldn't be disapointed if they win. Good luck to them- i think these are works of talented artists,and regardless if they ever do any other kryptonian artwork i am glad to know there out there making work.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2014 00:43 by castor.

More
01 Nov 2014 00:36 #38801 by fats
The Poll is now Closed, Lfan will announce the winners in due course.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Nov 2014 15:32 #38805 by lfan
Winners now posted on the front page blog! Thanks to all who participated, sponsored, voted, and contributed monetarily to the site for the purse money!

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Nov 2014 22:59 #38812 by kfour9
I would like to say congrats to all the winners and participants :)
Thank you so much to everyone who voted for me and Superwomenmania for making this contest :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats

More
02 Nov 2014 03:36 #38813 by kkr222
Hey guys, thank you so much for the votes! Congratulations and great job for all the entries! Thank you larafan for the opportunity to participate in this contest, and everyone else at SuperWomenMania for making this contest possible!

I've also read the critiques, and will strive to do better! Thank you for those; they really help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats

More
03 Nov 2014 01:55 #38817 by TwiceOnThursdays
I want to thank all the artists who entered. It was a great field of entries, with a lot of diversity in characters and art styles. A great showing.

And yes, I'll likely be commissioning some of the artists in the future. (And I'll make sure that I mention that I found them through the contest).

More
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds