Time to BRAINSTORM!

- GeekSeven

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The topic has been locked.
More
01 May 2016 22:33 #47513 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
Should the description read: "but discovers that she must leech the life force of normal people to keep and maintain her new-found power"?

Or does "they" refer to the girl and the "person of power" she gained her powers from?

I like the "power transfer" theme -- I've written a couple of stories along those lines -- but by adding on the "leeching" device, you've made the topic unduly restrictive. I think a simple "Power Transfer" theme would allow for a greater variety of submissions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive, Lulu
More
01 May 2016 22:38 #47514 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
argonaut, you are correct, I missed that when I typed it.

will edit it.

fats
  • fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 May 2016 22:42 #47515 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
The leeching idea does strike me as a little too specific. I'd like to be able to decide on my own "downside". I'll manage.

- GeekSeven
More
01 May 2016 22:54 #47516 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
on the issue of the leeching idea, I added that and got approval from DKC, it's an idea that we have never explored in any great depth on this site.

Fats
  • fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 May 2016 23:05 #47517 by inactive

fats wrote: on the issue of the leeching idea, I added that and got approval from DKC, it's an idea that we have never explored in any great depth on this site.

Fats

Fair enough. But, Devil's Advocate, there are probably a hundred other ideas that we haven't explored as a downside for power transfer.

- GeekSeven
More
01 May 2016 23:06 - 01 May 2016 23:40 #47518 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Workshop - Spring 2016

argonaut wrote: Should the description read: "but discovers that she must leech the life force of normal people to keep and maintain her new-found power"?

Or does "they" refer to the girl and the "person of power" she gained her powers from?

I like the "power transfer" theme -- I've written a couple of stories along those lines -- but by adding on the "leeching" device, you've made the topic unduly restrictive. I think a simple "Power Transfer" theme would allow for a greater variety of submissions.

This has been the subject of a lot of discussions behind the scenes, not to mention one of the main reasons the workshop launched a bit later than planned. The generic "Power Transfer" theme felt too broad and vague in and of itself, so we worked to make it more specific and it's possible we overdo it.
Last edit: 01 May 2016 23:40 by Woodclaw.
More
02 May 2016 11:16 #47520 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
It's a challenging theme, no doubt. Loving a challenge as I do.... Count me in.
More
02 May 2016 17:42 #47523 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Workshop - Spring 2016

Woodclaw wrote:

argonaut wrote: Should the description read: "but discovers that she must leech the life force of normal people to keep and maintain her new-found power"?

This has been the subject of a lot of discussions behind the scenes, not to mention one of the main reasons the workshop launched a bit later than planned. The generic "Power Transfer" theme felt too broad and vague in and of itself, so we worked to make it more specific and it's possible we overdo it.

I aggree in that the leeching part makes the theme too restrictive. I can't really see how "Power Transfer" could be considered too vague.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive, Lulu
  • njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 May 2016 20:49 #47525 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Workshop - Spring 2016

njae wrote: I aggree in that the leeching part makes the theme too restrictive. I can't really see how "Power Transfer" could be considered too vague.

Doesn't make it restrictive, IMO, only challenging, like Dru said. There are more than a couple of ways to go with this and things to explore (e.g. is her power additive each time or simply recharge and reuse ala Rogue.....does she relish in the ability, is somewhat reluctant, or view it as a curse.....is the power transfer restrictive to certain traits or abilities or does "everything come over"), and I like the aspect of the morality coming into play (which seems like it was the focal point of DKC's topic).

Plus, I feel there is ample time to think up something creative to make each entry personalized and unique. Game on!

ElF
More
02 May 2016 21:49 #47526 by inactive

lfan wrote:

njae wrote: I aggree in that the leeching part makes the theme too restrictive. I can't really see how "Power Transfer" could be considered too vague.

Doesn't make it restrictive, IMO, only challenging, like Dru said. There are more than a couple of ways to go with this and things to explore (e.g. is her power additive each time or simply recharge and reuse ala Rogue.....does she relish in the ability, is somewhat reluctant, or view it as a curse.....is the power transfer restrictive to certain traits or abilities or does "everything come over"), and I like the aspect of the morality coming into play (which seems like it was the focal point of DKC's topic).

Plus, I feel there is ample time to think up something creative to make each entry personalized and unique. Game on!

ElF

I have to respectfully disagree. I think there's a fine line between restrictive and challenging and the addition of the specific leeching from humans idea crosses the line.

Is the intent of the workshop to challenge writers to work within a set of restrictions, or is it to encourage writers to explore a theme? If it's the former, then fine. Game on, as you say. If it's the latter, then I personally think we've gone beyond theme to a specific scenario.

- GeekSeven
More
02 May 2016 22:12 - 02 May 2016 23:08 #47527 by Lulu
Replied by Lulu on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
I usually don't write much here in the forum (or in general), though I really wanted to participate in the workshop this time. The power-transfer idea sounded like a nice idea and also capable for someone with limited writing-capabilities like me though I personally don't like the idea of a supergirl leeching and (possible) killing other people in the progress of getting super, so I sadly have to decline this years participation. But I wish all writers good luck and awaiting eagerly the results. :)
Last edit: 02 May 2016 23:08 by Lulu.
More
02 May 2016 22:55 #47529 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
Leeching...??

I think I'll take a pass on this workshop, and wait for the Winter theme.

Shadar
  • shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
02 May 2016 23:10 #47531 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
Yeah, this "leeching" thing just goes against the grain.
Sounds like Vampire fiction.
More
02 May 2016 23:25 #47532 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
If you've got a great idea for a story, something that you think people would enjoy, and it doesn't fit the exact theme of the workshop, then why not write the story anyway? The posting would simply sit in the library rather than the workshop part of the library, but who cares? I hear that the cash prize is the same ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw
More
02 May 2016 23:28 #47533 by Woodclaw

circes_cup wrote: If you've got a great idea for a story, something that you think people would enjoy, and it doesn't fit the exact theme of the workshop, then why not write the story anyway? The posting would simply sit in the library rather than the workshop part of the library, but who cares? I hear that the cash prize is the same ;)

Thank you Circes :)
More
02 May 2016 23:31 - 02 May 2016 23:33 #47534 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Workshop - Spring 2016
There are a lot of ways to go with this. Sure....vampires are a pretty obvious path, but not the only one. Within the framework of the theme is a multitude of possibilities. I already have a pretty good twist in mind. If the theme is changed, I wont mind as long as it is still open to the idea I've got.
Last edit: 02 May 2016 23:33 by Dru1076.
More
02 May 2016 23:33 #47535 by inactive

circes_cup wrote: If you've got a great idea for a story, something that you think people would enjoy, and it doesn't fit the exact theme of the workshop, then why not write the story anyway? The posting would simply sit in the library rather than the workshop part of the library, but who cares? I hear that the cash prize is the same ;)

Sure. Of course. But taken to its logical extreme, what's the point of having the workshop in the first place?

The idea is to inspire writers to explore a particular theme, isn't it? If the theme doesn't inspire, then saying that you can write a non-workshop story regardless is kind of a cop out. IMO.

- GeekSeven
More
02 May 2016 23:42 #47536 by Woodclaw

geekseven wrote:

Sure. Of course. But taken to its logical extreme, what's the point of having the workshop in the first place?

The idea is to inspire writers to explore a particular theme, isn't it? If the theme doesn't inspire, then saying that you can write a non-workshop story regardless is kind of a cop out. IMO.

I can't talk for everyone here, but for me having a workshop is something that helps me focusing my idea in a specific direction, so that I can achieve a very specific effect. I know it's not universal, but for me it works having a very specific theme to work with helps me brainstorming more efficiently and write in a more coherent way.
More
03 May 2016 13:46 #47549 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Workshop - Spring 2016

One of my new favorite posts.....
More
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds