Amount

Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled

03 May 2016 00:21 #47537 by fats
Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled was created by fats
Hi all,

with all the negativity surrounding the workshop I've decided to cancel the workshop.

I'll meet with the admins and DKC to see where we are going to with the workshop.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 May 2016 03:12 #47540 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
Fats, I honestly don't see a lot of "negativity" in the comments on the workshop announcement. I mostly see responses from people who want to participate but who would like a little more latitude in the direction they choose to take their story.

I know that you and dkc and Woodclaw (and maybe others) put in a lot of time hammering out the workshop theme, and I hope our comments don't seem ungrateful.

Peace --
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

More
03 May 2016 03:51 #47541 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
Coming up with a theme, is as simple as coming up with a thought, then simply posting that thought. So, I'd rather see a consensus on a theme, rather than a disagreement or lack of participation. So, I think if theres a theme that many of us would agree on.....we go ahead...and if not we wait a bit. Till winter.

And....just curious? Should I even be allowed to participate? You know, maybe give Dru or Shadar a chance to win one =P

Oh relax, I'm just being a little bastard =D
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

More
03 May 2016 04:35 #47542 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
It is true. If DKC enters he will almost certainly win. It's a fairly safe bet.

But we all win when workshops produce good stories. I strongly disagree with excluding anybody from participation.

I'm glad you added that line at the end of your post DKC. If I ever learn you sat one out to give me a chance at winning, I would be most annoyed.

The way I see it, I have won every workshop ever run at SWM, and the prize was great stories. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R

More
03 May 2016 05:52 #47544 by d_k_c
I agree Dru,

Some of the best stories ive read are during workshops. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that some people will read, vote and publicly critique your story....so, obviously more effort is required.

And Work Shops help get the creative juices flowing, and unfortunately I need a dead line or I procrastinate. I suspect many of us are the same way

More
03 May 2016 05:54 #47545 by d_k_c
So, my advice for a worksop....is opening up a new thread. And coming to a consensus of a good WS theme. I joked earlier, but having Dru and Shadar in a WS, among others...is something I look forward to most

More
03 May 2016 07:26 #47546 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
The trick for me is having a theme that tickles my inner muse.

I once wrote a story (thankfully unpublished) where a superheroine gained her powers by leeching (sucking) power from men by having sex. No sex, no powers. Lots of sex, lots of power. She started drawing more and more from the men when she was fighting these aliens, and many of her lovers died in her arms.

But she was doing good work, literally saving the world, Trading a hundred men's lives for the safety of billions. A story about relative morality, and the horror of deliberately taking lives so as to save others. How she chose her victims. How she rationalized it all. How she lived with herself. Or not.

But there was no other way for her. She couldn't stop or the world would be conquered by a horrible alien foe intent on using humans for mere food. It was all a test of her resolve and character setup by another group of aliens.

Once I'd half written it, I got kind of disgusted by the theme and my attempts to make her a sympathetic and likable character (think Kara on Supergirl TV but with this leeching affliction), and the challenges of portraying such relative morality in the way I wanted to, and abandoned the story. It felt more exploitive than exploratory after a bit.

The proposed theme of this workshop reminded me of that story, which is why I wasn't interested.

Obviously there are many other stories about power transfer that could be written. Perhaps if the theme was opened wider, with the only caveat being that it has to involve some kind of power transfer, to (or from) the main character of the story, by any method or source.

Examples:
A woman of lightning who powers a hospital when an electrical blackout occurs during a critical operation.

A woman who finds she powers up whenever she's within a certain range of Superman, and loses it when she gets too far away. Which turns her into a weird kind of groupie.

A couple who have power whenever they are together. Or the reverse, perhaps their powers diminish when they get too close, dooming their great love for each other (theme from the Hancock movie).

Anything that involves the sharing, transfer, activation or inhibition of power between characters, which could be human, alien or even android.

My muse likes elbow room.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
03 May 2016 13:25 #47548 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
Fats, DKC & Woodclaw....first of all, thanks for the effort in getting this launched (and then cancelled). Having run the workshops before, it takes a little more effort than people think -- or recognize -- so thanks for that.

I started to write a rant, but fuck it..... Dru said it eloquently before when he said "The way I see it, I have won every workshop ever run at SWM, and the prize was great stories." That was the goal of the workshops when they started way back at SGI and should still be the ultimate goal.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, kshoo

More
03 May 2016 14:44 #47551 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
I'm a bit surprised that the WS was canceled this quickly. Nobody seemed to have a problem with the "Power Transfer" theme but rather the "Leeching" part that was added to it. I think the simple solution would have been to remove the "Leeching" restrictions and everything would have been fine.

When you take a look at the previous Workshop Themes , then you can see that none of them were as restricting as this one. But if you take Power Transfer as it is, then it fits right in.

More
03 May 2016 14:56 #47552 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
I also have a rant, but I will keep that in my back pocket.

I do apologize if any of my comments on the previous thread were unreasonable. It was not my intention to upset anyone, merely to explore the issues I had with the theme. I know that I can be a little abrasive at times, although I believe my comments in this case were civil and on point.

That being said, I think cancelling the workshop outright is an overreaction. An adjustment to the theme, or even using DKC's original suggestion would have been sufficient to make everyone happy, in my opinion. And previous workshops have had "tweaks" to the rules after being launched, if memory serves.

- GeekSeven

More
03 May 2016 19:12 #47553 by d_k_c
I thought up the theme because I had recently read jilly milly....classic story, some chapters are hit and miss...but overall one of my faves. That story is what.....nearly 15 years old? Thought I'd see if we could get some new talent to write something comparible, or even better.

Shadar nailed it on the head when he said, a woman who becomes more powerful when she's within range of superman. That's kind of where I was going.

The theme shouldn't be target specific, but it can be.

- Also, I was thinking of a cool idea for a workshop is trying to imagine your a small time movie producer. Kind of like Jess or JonX.....write a story that would work within an obviously limited budget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
03 May 2016 19:35 #47554 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
I personally think that DKC's original theme (Power Transfer) is still a great idea, as long as there is lots of latitude for interpretation. I've already got a half dozen concepts rattling around that don't involve leeching/draining/sucking/taking.

Anyway, I wait to see what the powers-that-be decide before I go down any particular path. But my muse is starting to stir. Gotta give her something to work with pretty soon.

Shadar

• shadar
More
04 May 2016 04:12 #47563 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Workshop spring 2016 - Cancelled
Wow I step out for the weekend to help a friend move and suddenly I'm missing some sort of super-villain rampage/natural disaster/alien invasion/revenge-of-the-ancient-gods-of-writer's-block.

Clearly I'm gonna have to read up on what I missed :pinch:.

More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds