Amount

spring workshop- ideas

05 Feb 2021 16:40 #70372 by fats
spring workshop- ideas was created by fats
hi all,

we are about to launch the next workshop and we are looking for ideas, there have been some ideas posted in the chat server and I wanted ideas from members who don't visit the chat server.  At this time nothing is off the table the only condition is that the workshop will be a long-form one so there will be plenty of time to develop the ideas.

Deadlines for workshop ideas is 7 days from now ( Friday 12th Feb).

So put on your thinking hats and post your idea below.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChaozCloud, HikerAngel, Rjjt456
The topic has been locked.
  • fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Feb 2021 21:37 #70384 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic spring workshop- ideas
I had this idea called "Four Panels and a Joke", meaning writing a story that reads like an old newspaper comic strip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel
More
06 Feb 2021 01:54 #70385 by BrokenIron
Replied by BrokenIron on topic spring workshop- ideas
How about, "Behind every great man there is a woman - a super woman."  Explore the concept of superwomen who stay mostly in the shadows and help their men in whatever way they can.  Perhaps the man is utterly clueless and believe him and his idiot friends on Reddit drove up Gamestop to astronomical heights when it was mostly done by his mousy girlfriend. 

Or maybe he is a low rent gangster in the edge of the Bronx who starts rising through the ranks with the help of his little sister.  His very super, and very, very scary little sister.  She is just trying to help him, but soon even he starts to worry about what he has done. 

Or maybe some guy rises to become the greatest man EVER - richer than Bazos and Musk, a politican greater than FDR, a general great than Alexander, with more earth shattering inventions than Edison and Pasteur, but all of it is really because of a lonely supergirl who has a crush on him - a crush that can never be consumated or even hinted at because absolutely no one knows she exists. They can't or the world will be destroyed. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Woodclaw, TheOne25, Gincognifo, Rjjt456, MoistPanties
More
06 Feb 2021 08:12 #70387 by kshoo
Replied by kshoo on topic spring workshop- ideas
How about something along the lines of "The Light cannot exist without the Dark"? or something to that extent. Running along the theme of that no one is perfect, not even superheroes/superheroines with goddess-like powers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, TheOne25, Gincognifo, HikerAngel
More
06 Feb 2021 08:39 #70388 by Thefirstone
Replied by Thefirstone on topic spring workshop- ideas
Mythology-related stories?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gincognifo, HikerAngel, Rjjt456
More
06 Feb 2021 15:52 #70393 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic spring workshop- ideas

Thefirstone wrote: Mythology-related stories?

That gets my vote. We don't have enough of those. There are lots of ideas in Norse and Greek/Roman mythology. Not to mention angels of various sorts.

I think modern superheroines have mythological roots, in inspiration if nothing else. Which could even come from advanced aliens = root of all gods. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rjjt456
  • shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Feb 2021 19:23 #70405 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic spring workshop- ideas
I love both the light/dark and mythology ideas. I can think of some delicious ideas for both.

The light/dark idea makes me want to get back to a story that I got 25k words into, then never finished, called wings of fortune. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChaozCloud, AuGoose, Rjjt456
More
08 Feb 2021 03:38 - 08 Feb 2021 03:40 #70406 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic spring workshop- ideas
HikerAngel" post=70405

I love both the light/dark and mythology ideas. I can think of some delicious ideas for both.

Agreed, though I won't be writing anything for this workshop, so my opinion probably doesn't count for much. If I ever do get around to starting to write again, I'll be jumping back into my older stories and ideas that I still need to finish. But even that isn't likely to happen in the next couple of months.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2021 03:40 by YAGS.
More
09 Feb 2021 13:38 #70410 by Rjjt456
Replied by Rjjt456 on topic spring workshop- ideas
This idea has already been pitched on the Discord server but what about "Super-fying" movies?
Take a movie and its plot and indtroduce Superwomen/elements to it?

There is also the idea for a "What If..." 2.0?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gincognifo
More
09 Feb 2021 16:57 - 09 Feb 2021 17:00 #70412 by sandman19424
Replied by sandman19424 on topic spring workshop- ideas

Rjjt456 wrote: This idea has already been pitched on the Discord server but what about "Super-fying" movies?

There is also the idea for a "What If..." 2.0?I

I like this idea I think it will produce some fun stories.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2021 17:00 by sandman19424.
More
09 Feb 2021 17:43 #70413 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic spring workshop- ideas

Rjjt456 wrote: There is also the idea for a "What If..." 2.0?

What would the parameters of the "What If..." be?  Would it be limited to pop-culture continuity hypotheticals ("What if Iris Allen was the Flash", "What if Peggy Carter was Captain America") or present-day hypotheticals ("What if Kate Upton had superpowers and was evil and her breasts were slightly larger?", "What if Monster Energy gave women superpowers") or historical hypotheticals ("What if the Battle of Britain was fought between superwomen?", "What if Cleopatra had superpowers and was evil and her breasts were slightly larger?").  Or something else. Or all of the above? Or any premise which can be summed up with a "What if..." sentence?
More
09 Feb 2021 18:17 #70414 by Rjjt456

Rjjt456 wrote: There is also the idea for a "What If..." 2.0?

What would the parameters of the "What If..." be?  Would it be limited to pop-culture continuity hypotheticals ("What if Iris Allen was the Flash", "What if Peggy Carter was Captain America") or present-day hypotheticals ("What if Kate Upton had superpowers and was evil and her breasts were slightly larger?", "What if Monster Energy gave women superpowers") or historical hypotheticals ("What if the Battle of Britain was fought between superwomen?", "What if Cleopatra had superpowers and was evil and her breasts were slightly larger?").  Or something else. Or all of the above? Or any premise which can be summed up with a "What if..." sentence?

That is actually a very good question. It seems like the old one was quite open, so I would go with "Everything goes, as long as you can describe it with 'What if...'" 
More
09 Feb 2021 18:59 #70416 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic spring workshop- ideas
Reading this "What if" idea, I thought of reimagining a movie (or any other kind of story) to involve superpowers. Like "What if the Bond girls in a certain Bond movie had superpowers?"

I think that would be fun, and I also really like the idea of the mythology workshop (I have a good idea for that one)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Rjjt456
More
09 Feb 2021 19:21 #70417 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic spring workshop- ideas
Clarify me if I'm wrong. the idea would be as an example; What if Commander Alice Cooper of the UN.EX. SILENTE of the Star Order, they obtain superpowers in an exploration mission or in an experiment, and save their ship and their companion (which is something else ...) in command Adan Villagran! o That the fabulous spy Brigitte "Baby" Monford gets a magical or alien amulet that makes her develop wonderful and fantastic abilities ideal for her missions and for her fellow Simons!

And if you're wondering who the hell are Admiral / Commander Alice Cooper and Brigitte "Baby" Monford. For your information, they are protagonists of sagas of novels that were published in the newsstands of Spain in the 60's to the 80's. Sagas are "Commander Alice Cooper is from the Saga El Orden Estelar! "The spy Brigitte Baby Monford is from the Saga Baby en Acción!For you they would be pulp fiction books. In Spain his name is "NOVELAS DE A DURO".
More
09 Feb 2021 19:49 #70418 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic spring workshop- ideas
I'm not going to contribute so feel free to ignore everything I say but I feel like an anything-goes "what if" workshop might be a little too open-ended.

I think the best workshops have a strong theme that still allows breathing room for creativity. It's a tough balance.
More
09 Feb 2021 20:05 #70419 by Woodclaw

Gincognifo wrote: I'm not going to contribute so feel free to ignore everything I say but I feel like an anything-goes "what if" workshop might be a little too open-ended.

I think the best workshops have a strong theme that still allows breathing room for creativity. It's a tough balance.

Agreed.
More
11 Feb 2021 05:19 #70428 by primario12
Replied by primario12 on topic spring workshop- ideas
Me gusta la idea de una Superwoman que aparece cuando todo parece perdido salvando y se muestra con una heroine sexy e invencible, eso genera que el gobierno y algunos millonarios la vean con una amenaza para la tierra y busquen una forma de detenerla en caso se vuelva mala y que encuentren, algo así como kryptonite y lo empiezan usar contra ella poniéndola en poses sexys.
Obvio la Superwoman tiene un sexy traje ajustado a su supercuerpo que trata de ocultar bajo un traje de oficina pero su buen rodado cuerpo se sigue notando pese a su ropa ancha.
More
11 Feb 2021 08:59 #70429 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic spring workshop- ideas
I cant resist a "What If" work shop
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan
More
11 Feb 2021 13:54 - 11 Feb 2021 13:55 #70430 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic spring workshop- ideas

Rjjt456 wrote: This idea has already been pitched on the Discord server but what about "Super-fying" movies?

There is also the idea for a "What If..." 2.0?

I agree that an open ended What If... would be TOO open ended. But it shouldn't be too hard to put some sort of limitations on it to make it work.

But I like the idea of adding super-elements to a previously non-super movie. Or maybe just add a superwoman to a movie that previously had only supermen. I actually had two specific story ideas along those lines. One of them just gender flips a super-male focused movie. The other takes a completely non-super movie and adds a superwoman to it. So if this was the theme, I might be tempted to join.

But I'm a slow enough writer, I have enough other things going on in my life right now, and I think these would be fairly long stories. So "tempted to join" is almost certainly as far as it would go. 95% chance I still wouldn't have time to write anything before the deadline. Actually, what are the deadlines these days? When I used to join these things 10+ years ago, they were usually 2 months, which is why I had trouble. Maybe if it was 4-6 months, I might be more likely to join.

Last edit: 11 Feb 2021 13:55 by YAGS.
More
12 Feb 2021 00:39 #70431 by Cerebasan
Replied by Cerebasan on topic spring workshop- ideas
How about a sequel workshop? Can't be a sequel to one of your own stores....or maybe could be.
More
12 Feb 2021 05:29 #70432 by pwnmawn
Replied by pwnmawn on topic spring workshop- ideas
A known celebrity gets superpowers. What would she do?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wedgeinator, Rjjt456
More
12 Feb 2021 07:01 #70433 by Rjjt456

Cerebasan wrote: How about a sequel workshop? Can't be a sequel to one of your own stores....or maybe could be.

Write a sequel to someone else story? I like this idea! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
12 Feb 2021 09:13 #70434 by Woodclaw
The biggest problem to a sequel workshop (which we tried once) is often securing the permission from the original author.
More
12 Feb 2021 10:15 - 12 Feb 2021 10:26 #70437 by njae
Replied by njae on topic spring workshop- ideas

Woodclaw wrote: The biggest problem to a sequel workshop (which we tried once) is often securing the permission from the original author.

Well the continuation workshop had a few entries in it back then. And even the Missed Opportunities Workhop saw that theme reused (continuing the story from the original workshop no less.
Plus I know for a fact that there was another story based on a continuation that just didn't get done in time but I get how you may see the problem there.

As a variation, a combination of "What if" and "Sequel" could be used as "alternative route" - take an existing story and have it turn out differently. At least I personally had a situation or two where I wondered "what if the story went a different direction right there?" - but I can see authors not liking the idea of that happening to their own stories.

Another idea: Reuse the Missed Opportunities theme, after all it's been nine years since that happened and some of the suggestions here seem familiar.

And while I am at it: Missed opportunities with a twist: Instead of chosing one theme and have your story fit it, you have to chose 2,3...5 themes to hit. Sounds hard, but in reality almost all stories do fit more than one theme without even trying.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2021 10:26 by njae.
  • njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 Feb 2021 21:00 #70444 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic spring workshop- ideas
Agree! What If, while REALLY broad, opens it up to "anyone with an idea"....

ElF
More
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds