Amount

Supergirl Casting News!!

30 Oct 2014 18:53 - 31 Oct 2014 19:46 #38784 by lfan
Supergirl Casting News!! was created by lfan
She has a SISTER!! Sorry....a FOSTER sister! More exciting info about the show's direction and characters from TVLIne:

tvline.com/2014/10/30/supergirl-tv-show-cbs-casting/

Sounds like a setup for Kara's arch-nemesis later on....hmm!

ElF
Last edit: 31 Oct 2014 19:46 by lfan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
30 Oct 2014 22:58 #38787 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl has a Sister!!

lfan wrote: Sorry....a FOSTER sister! More exciting info about the show's direction and characters from TVLIne:

tvline.com/2014/10/30/supergirl-tv-show-cbs-casting/

Sounds like a setup for Kara's arch-nemesis later on....hmm!

ElF

Yeah, it does. I like the idea that we'll see her as part of a family, and that her step-sister is also unique, but in human ways. I think in the comics, Fred Danvers, her step-father, was a scientist.

It does suggest that the step-sisters could wind up opposing each other. What if Kara makes different decisions about who the good and bad guys are in some regional conflict. For instance, she sides with the Palestinians, and Alexa, who works for the US government, considers the people Kara is helping to be terrorists. I'm sure the filmmakers would use a make-believe conflict in the actual movie, but that kind of idea.

Kara's perspective on many things should come from a greater distance, even a bit alien, at least as compared to Kal El, who grew up in the heartland of America, Boy Scout and all. Bottom line, we're talking about portraying someone who grew up on an alien world, but for the last 12 years has been growing up in an American family.

How much of Krypton and its culture are still in her thoughts? Is that good thing or a bad thing?

The only thing we can count on is that Kara is the protagonist. Making her a character of dubious morality would be too much of a departure from the comics. The questionable morality and motivations will be Alexa's turf. And, of course, ultimately the show's version of a Lex Luthor.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 Oct 2014 23:42 #38789 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl has a Sister!!
...less the sister thing....then...she works for a goverment agency.

I donno. I hope they don't do the thing when Kara works for a goverment agency that maybe she can trust, and she seems to be the only agent for. You see it a lot in shows(that or it sister-the maybe goverment agency). These include

Knight Rider
Person of Interst
Bionc Woman
Nikita
Archer(where its funny)
Flash
Invsible Man
stargate
7 Days

etc etc

Most of these shows involve the hero with about 3 to 5 people(typically one good boss, one bad boss, one or two scientists, a love intrest, an other stock characters) whose sole job is to lead the hero-but rarely if ever get involved in the heros actual adventures. this is the big Woman in the earpice of the hero leading them around type story.

Dramatically i can see why they do it-its gives the character a ready group to interact with, gives you a scientist who can speed up exposition etc....but its a littlle unrealistic. And to me they tend to be kind of flat because litterally there only there for character to interact with. And in this situation if "We know your secret" type chacracters it can take away some of the intresting ideas of it. If everyone (well all the main characters) know her secret identiy its not really a secret identiy.

That said if its a situation where the sister works for a goverment agency, but they don't know her secret, or maybe she has told them her secret but don't tell her...that could be intresting (that last clause could be a good end of pilot revel).

Who knows. That said giving her a sister who envies power that she herself doesn't want-thats a bit of cliche but i can go with that.

More
31 Oct 2014 19:44 - 31 Oct 2014 19:46 #38798 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl has a Sister!!
......and now apparently Jimmy Olson, Cat Grant (Kara's boss) and the Toyman (Kara's neighbor??) are also being cast! Loving the leveraging of existing DC characters!

The tweet ID given is invalid

ElF
Last edit: 31 Oct 2014 19:46 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jyache

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
31 Oct 2014 19:47 #38799 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Supergirl has a Sister!!
Comic Book movies.com has some more supporting character info for casting. Cat Grant and James Olson. Plus Hawk Henshaw and a pre Toyman character.
Kara is said to work as a personal assistant to Cat Grant!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
31 Oct 2014 19:49 #38800 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl has a Sister!!

AJF wrote: Comic Book movies.com has some more supporting character info for casting. Cat Grant and James Olson. Plus Hawk Henshaw and a pre Toyman character.
Kara is said to work as a personal assistant to Cat Grant!

Ha! I was first!! :P

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds