Amount

Supergirl Casting Rumor?

15 Jan 2015 19:58 - 15 Jan 2015 20:22 #39858 by lfan
Supergirl Casting Rumor? was created by lfan
Strange chatter on the interwebs that seem to imply that we may have our Girl of Steel and she is none other than Melissa Benoist (Glee):

While it is a rumor, three things to note:

1) She is the right age (unlike Gemma who was pushing 30)
2) She's got acting chops -- she's been in Glee and was also in the Oscar-nominated, Whiplash
3) She recently posted pictures of her hair being dyed blonde for a "secret project"

Ok, it's a stretch but then there's this weird page over at the Hollywood Report's site:

www.hollywoodreporter.com/image/melissa-...ist-supergirl-h-2014

Almost as if they have the scoop and are staging the article as they wait for the copy. It's not searchable from their site search, however; Google picked it up, probably from a spidering of its site........hmmm.......

ElF

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 15 Jan 2015 20:22 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Sarge395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Jan 2015 21:36 #39859 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
Got some more info, all of which seems to point to her.......time will tell, I guess......

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Jan 2015 23:23 #39860 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
Where are the pictures of her being blonde? What sites are reporting this?

More
15 Jan 2015 23:30 #39861 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
I can totally see it!
I love the smile.

More
15 Jan 2015 23:39 #39862 by lfan

AJF wrote: Where are the pictures of her being blonde? What sites are reporting this?

No sites reporting it that I know of (SWM exclusive scoop), but the blonde pics are out on twitter as well as some other social media clues. Also some other sources/info that I'm sworn to secrecy on. I could be getting catfished but if not, remember you heard it here first! :p

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Jan 2015 23:42 #39863 by lfan

Markiehoe wrote: I can totally see it!
I love the smile.

She's super likeable I think and has that wholesome look. Don't watch Glee (at least the season she was on), so started looking for vids and pulled up an interview she did on e Late Show with Craig Ferguson (sorry, don't have link but you can google it) and she was really cute and had a great personality. Could totally see her as Kara....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jan 2015 13:00 #39867 by lfan

AJF wrote: Where are the pictures of her being blonde?

"Just a little belated #TransformationTuesday on the beautiful mbenoist for a “#secretproject"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jan 2015 13:55 #39868 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
If I say "they could do worse" is sounds like i'm downplaying her and I wouldn't mean to. She's got everything she needs to play that role.

She seems quite personable on the clip on Fergueson, and I watched a glee promo she did with another actor just goofing around, and she handled that well. (I wish I could just go Hulu/Glee give her name, and have it play me 3-4 of the best scenes she was in.)

So it seems that she can be funny and charming, and that will go a long way in the show.

And let's not forget that Glee gave us Grant Gustin for Flash, and he's going pretty well over there too. I don't even know if they were on the show at the same time. If so that might make a Flash/Supergirl crossover even more fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
16 Jan 2015 15:07 - 16 Jan 2015 15:08 #39869 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
Attached is an extremely rough work-in-progress.

- GeekSeven

Last edit: 16 Jan 2015 15:08 by inactive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395

More
16 Jan 2015 16:23 #39871 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
Not seen her act, but she has a gorgeous smile. I can surely see her lighting up the screen in the old red and blues, then flash that smile as she lays low another villain ( well a man can dream :cheer: )

More
16 Jan 2015 16:56 #39872 by mo
Replied by mo on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
She definitely has the wholesome beauty needed to play the part.

I found a manip here via google:
ohmy-jarley.tumblr.com/

You'll need to scroll down.

More
16 Jan 2015 17:00 #39873 by AJF
There's a Youtube channel devoted to her called Melisa Benoist Fan. It's just clips of her from Glee, though.

More
16 Jan 2015 17:02 - 16 Jan 2015 17:04 #39874 by lfan

AJF wrote: There's a Youtube channel devoted to her called Melisa Benoist Fan. It's just clips of her from Glee, though.

This thread is stealing my thunder for the article I have staged that I was planning on posting (when/if it is confirmed), but its great to see others excited as well. :) This is a great clip -- and can we call it her "first appearance as a superheroine"?

ElF
Last edit: 16 Jan 2015 17:04 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jan 2015 17:29 #39875 by mo
Wow. LFan - great find. I'm sold 100%.

More
16 Jan 2015 17:42 #39876 by lfan

mo wrote: Wow. LFan - great find. I'm sold 100%.

Now hopefully she is cast officially! LOL

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jan 2015 18:14 #39877 by AJF
If you look closely at the Hollywood Reporter page, you can see the date 12-05-14. Why would HR have that post halfway printed well over a month ago? She could have her hair dyed just for the screen test, not for filming anything else. Hate to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm starting to get skeptical about her getting cast.

More
16 Jan 2015 19:04 - 16 Jan 2015 19:21 #39879 by lfan

AJF wrote: If you look closely at the Hollywood Reporter page, you can see the date 12-05-14. Why would HR have that post halfway printed well over a month ago? She could have her hair dyed just for the screen test, not for filming anything else. Hate to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm starting to get skeptical about her getting cast.

Duly noted, AJF. And I have no idea why they would have that info over a month ago....My speculation is just a combination of factors and not written in stone by any means. Still, there are some other coincidences as well (as well as a few other things I cannot share). Maybe I'm reading into it too much and want it to be true, but hopefully we'll know soon enough.....

ElF
Last edit: 16 Jan 2015 19:21 by lfan.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jan 2015 19:52 #39882 by AJF
Compared to Madison Riley, Benoist has a much bigger fan follwing. There are at least to fansites devoted to her.

More
16 Jan 2015 20:14 #39883 by lfan

AJF wrote: Compared to Madison Riley, Benoist has a much bigger fan follwing. There are at least to fansites devoted to her.

You can probably thank the "Gleeks" for that. IF she is cast, that might be a smart move to attract a younger demographic for CBS (Glee fans) as well as serve as nice springboard for ratings.......

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: castor

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Jan 2015 09:28 #39891 by mo
I wonder if the casting suits are keeping an eye on the voting that's going on here:
www.supergirl.tv

I still have to pinch myself. Were getting a Supergirl tv show!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SupergirlTV

More
17 Jan 2015 16:19 #39894 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
As always, its wise to keep one's enthusiasm in check. While CBS has ordered a season of episodes, they could change their mind if the Pilot sucks or if it doesn't get good enough ratings or strong enough sponsor support. Happens all the time.

The producers hinted the other day that they were getting nervous about the Pilot timing if the show is going to air in the Fall. Apparently the casting was going too slowly. For them and for us.

I suppose they have to do the pilot and then get it approved, and then incorporate any feedback from inside the studio, and then go on. Hate to see this pushed out until Spring or whatever.

Shadar

mo wrote: I wonder if the casting suits are keeping an eye on the voting that's going on here:
www.supergirl.tv

I still have to pinch myself. Were getting a Supergirl tv show!

The following user(s) said Thank You: SupergirlTV

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
17 Jan 2015 17:44 #39895 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Casting Rumor?
You maybe right Shadar:

There is an expression in special effects: You can have them Fast, You can have them Cheep, or You can have them Good. You can pick 2 out of the 4.

Television effects are normally pretty cheep-but if they give them time(say Game of Thrones or Doctor Who) they can be good., or at least decent. 22 Episodes is a lot of television to do major special effects on even if in most episodes its really 5-10 minutes. And For most of the effects you would do on a supergirl show-compositing,3d Destruction-there is only so much you can do before you shoot the live action stuff. So if they want to get a pipeline for it starting as early as possible helps a lot.

That said props, sets etc are things that take time-and for a lot of TV thats built before you start shooting. They mentioned the costume-that takes time. I do think the Man of Steel aproach, of "This cape is 100% CGI" wasn't as bad as Green Lantern, doing a more inn camera look with real sets and locations could be interesting to-and if they even manage to do real stunts all the better. What makes Green Arrow a kind of good show action wise is that it is primarily real stunts and actors-and if they can incorporate that works-but it takes time.

And Casting is very important-the show will rise and fall with its actress. This could make someones career-or it call fall after 2 episodes. Its a tricky part not just for her but for the characters around her.

So Let see what they do. I am caustiously hopeful for it.

More
19 Jan 2015 13:47 #39905 by AJF
Via Vimeo, comicbookmovies.com has posted several videos of actors autioning for the roles of James Olson, Alex Danvers and Kara Zor-El herself.

Check them out!

More
19 Jan 2015 14:31 #39906 by lfan

AJF wrote: Via Vimeo, comicbookmovies.com has posted several videos of actors autioning for the roles of James Olson, Alex Danvers and Kara Zor-El herself.

Check them out!

www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=113838

FYI, the Kara/Alex interviews is the same tete-a-tete as we had in Kayla Compton's interview that was posted here earlier in another thread: www.superwomenmania.com/index.php/forum?...pic&catid=8&id=29090

I like some of the auditions for Alex in there, especially the redhead.....

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Jan 2015 20:15 #39911 by AJF
Spoilertv.com has even more audition videos.
I don't think Benoist has been cast in the lead yet. It's more likely that WB suits liked her audition and she may be a finalist for the lead role

More
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds