Amount

Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!

07 Feb 2015 14:41 #40287 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!

kshoo wrote: Not sure if anyone have a similar thought as me.

In this Internet age whereby you can virtually see "spoilers"anytime and any day, I for one am hoping NOT to read about anything about the new show...just so that when I watch the show, I can actually look forward to be properly entertained and surprised. Just don't want to know too much, in an age whereby everyone else seems to know everything...

I'm with you Kshoo....aside from seeing Melissa in costume for the first time, I'd prefer to be surprised when it comes out. When there is something I really want to see, I'll refrain from doing research or clicking on video clips, as they tend to give too much away. I've purposefully only watched the initial Avengers TV spot for this reason.

Hopefully, people here will respect that and use the spoiler tag we have when posting plot lines or spoilers here

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: kshoo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Feb 2015 18:49 #40288 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!
Has anyone noticed that casting announcements stopped after the James and Kara, and the production start date has been pushed back a month. I don't know enough about the inner workings of TV production to know if that's a concern or just normal.

But I do know the show's executive producer said in January that the schedule was getting tight for the pilot, presumably to have it match up with CBS' plans for the Fall. That's before the latest apparent delay. Could this turn into a Winter replacement show instead of Fall?

Or maybe I'm reading the tea leaves all wrong.

I don't have a clue about the relationship between the show's developer (Warner) and their customer (CBS) or how these things work out.

Maybe Castor can shed some insight into the general working relationship between producers/developers and network customers and what any of these apparent delays might mean.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
09 Feb 2015 12:11 #40309 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!

shadar wrote: Has anyone noticed that casting announcements stopped after the James and Kara, and the production start date has been pushed back a month. I don't know enough about the inner workings of TV production to know if that's a concern or just normal.

But I do know the show's executive producer said in January that the schedule was getting tight for the pilot, presumably to have it match up with CBS' plans for the Fall. That's before the latest apparent delay. Could this turn into a Winter replacement show instead of Fall?

I don't have a clue about the relationship between the show's developer (Warner) and their customer (CBS) or how these things work out.

Maybe Castor can shed some insight into the general working relationship between producers/developers and network customers and what any of these apparent delays might mean.

Shadar

There could be lots of reasons for the production delay, ranging from scheduling conflicts with some of the actors to the environment of the locale (rain and/or snow) to dealing with the local government for a few more tax breaks.The environment is the most likely factor, since this winter has been harsher than almost anyone predicted. It could turn into a mid-season or winter premier, just depends on how long the delay is and what the nature of the delay is. If it's weather, it'll be resolved shortly; if it's something like the planned visual FX aren't as developed as the producers were hoping for, it could be longer.

CBS and Warner Brothers have a long working partnership. After the WB Network started failing, CBS bought in and the network became the CW. CBS has their own television production company and studios, but are part of a huge corporate entanglement, basically being CBS/Paramount/Viacom/King World. So, it'll either be a joint CBS/WB production or, hopefully, WB production and CBS broadcasting/distributing.

Having the show on CBS is a double-edged sword. There's more money and more exposure for the show, but the expectations are dramatically higher. The good news is that Arrow and Flash are pulling in all the right demographic numbers (eg. Arrow this past week pulled in just under 3M viewers and was ranked 3rd for the hour in the 18-34 age range). Even if Supergirl is going to be in a separate universe and not tie into Arrow and Flash, there will probably be some bleed-over of those numbers into at least the first few episodes.

If CBS is going the usual Network route, Supergirl will have @26 episodes a season, and the initial order will only be for a half season; so 13 episodes will have been ordered. If the numbers are good, then the rest of the season gets ordered, and possibly a second season if the numbers are fantastic. I believe Arrow got it's second season order before the half-season break.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, shadar

More
09 Feb 2015 13:25 #40310 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!
Supergirl got what 's called a blind series order from CBS. Which means, if it does not go to series CBS would have reimburse Warner Bros TV for money lost on developing Supergirl. This is what happened last year with Warner Bros and Fox with Gotham.

More
09 Feb 2015 14:56 #40311 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!
Not much to add, though i would comment that it may be likely they are pushing it back to winter, or at least latish fall

About a month ago They mentioned the tight production schedule to get a show like this(and it is: to put in perspective Superman vs Batman with wonder woman was accouned about 2 and a half years ago and they haven't released a trailer) so i would guess they maybe giving it some time to breath. Which is good.

If there filming it in LA which i think they are announcing its not bad weather here so that shouldn't be a problem. However still have sets to build costumes(not just hers. We need a lumberjack outfut(. Though i am pretty sure Benoist is warped with Glee, they may possibly want to bring an actor for an existing TV show or doing a movie.Also theres the old line on the forum of "Well shes going to work out!!"- i doubt much of that, but she probably needs a certain amount of stunt training and wire work(not that she is going to do all of it but some of it).

Also a lot of the special effects are stuff you really can't do until you have her in the outfit, however some of it is CGI which is stuff you can start at least before hand. If they are going to do a big Train crash effect that takes time-however thats doable.

I will comment no one benfits if the show fails. CBS can still cancel the show before it begins after the pilot but yeah i don't think they want to. So maybe give it a little time. In the old days it used to be "September 15 or so...and here is are new lineup of shows, one after another!". Now adays they roe it out a little slower.

More
09 Feb 2015 15:48 - 09 Feb 2015 16:26 #40312 by shadar

ArgentDragon wrote:

shadar wrote: Has anyone noticed that casting announcements stopped after the James and Kara, and the production start date has been pushed back a month. I don't know enough about the inner workings of TV production to know if that's a concern or just normal.

Shadar

There could be lots of reasons for the production delay, ranging from scheduling conflicts with some of the actors to the environment of the locale (rain and/or snow) to dealing with the local government for a few more tax breaks.The environment is the most likely factor, since this winter has been harsher than almost anyone predicted. It could turn into a mid-season or winter premier, just depends on how long the delay is and what the nature of the delay is. If it's weather, it'll be resolved shortly; if it's something like the planned visual FX aren't as developed as the producers were hoping for, it could be longer.

CBS and Warner Brothers have a long working partnership. After the WB Network started failing, CBS bought in and the network became the CW. CBS has their own television production company and studios, but are part of a huge corporate entanglement, basically being CBS/Paramount/Viacom/King World. So, it'll either be a joint CBS/WB production or, hopefully, WB production and CBS broadcasting/distributing.

Having the show on CBS is a double-edged sword. There's more money and more exposure for the show, but the expectations are dramatically higher. The good news is that Arrow and Flash are pulling in all the right demographic numbers (eg. Arrow this past week pulled in just under 3M viewers and was ranked 3rd for the hour in the 18-34 age range). Even if Supergirl is going to be in a separate universe and not tie into Arrow and Flash, there will probably be some bleed-over of those numbers into at least the first few episodes.

If CBS is going the usual Network route, Supergirl will have @26 episodes a season, and the initial order will only be for a half season; so 13 episodes will have been ordered. If the numbers are good, then the rest of the season gets ordered, and possibly a second season if the numbers are fantastic. I believe Arrow got it's second season order before the half-season break.

As usual, Castor, thanks for an insider's look and analysis. The next few waypoints I'm watching are when the pilot shooting starts and when the first regular episode shoots. When it shows up on the TV schedule is likely a more complex question. Trick is to get something good out there before (inevitably) the focus in movies and TV move away from superheroes. Catch the wave, if you will.

Right now the enthusiasm for things superhero seem to be enjoying a rising surf.

The big question to be answered in box office and ratings... Will the mass of superhero movies and TV shows (from everywhere) saturate the market iduring the next 2+ years, or will it open the flood gates for more?

And will this wave last until my longed for "animation indistinguishable from live action" technology is ready? That's the point when superhero movies will have no limits.

Imagine being able to capture anything you can envision in your wildest imagination, and do it in a way that looks totally real, with all "filming" done in the belly of a computer. Actors become merely models for the animation, which could improve them far beyond the bounds of merely human.

It has to happen. When is the question.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2015 16:26 by shadar.

• shadar
More
09 Feb 2015 15:51 #40313 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!
the info that i have on the delay is due to issues with permits for shooting, all is well otherwise.

fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: somat

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Feb 2015 15:58 #40314 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!

kshoo wrote: Not sure if anyone have a similar thought as me.

In this Internet age whereby you can virtually see "spoilers"anytime and any day, I for one am hoping NOT to read about anything about the new show...just so that when I watch the show, I can actually look forward to be properly entertained and surprised. Just don't want to know too much, in an age whereby everyone else seems to know everything...

I'm with you.

Can we agree as a group to mark anything with SPOILERS related to the plot? SWM should continue to be a safe place for us...
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
09 Feb 2015 16:34 #40315 by shadar
Actually, I thanked Castor for AgentDragon's excellent insight (sorry!), but Castor has also provided "industry insider" perspectives. As does Lfan.

It's nice to have so many informed and intelligent contributors that I get them confused. An "embarrassment of riches" on my part.

Shader

• shadar
More
09 Feb 2015 19:13 #40317 by SupergirlTV
Replied by SupergirlTV on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!

fats wrote: the info that i have on the delay is due to issues with permits for shooting, all is well otherwise.

fats

Where did you see that it was permit related for the production delay, if I may ask?

More
09 Feb 2015 19:52 #40320 by fats

SupergirlTV wrote:

fats wrote: the info that i have on the delay is due to issues with permits for shooting, all is well otherwise.

fats

Where did you see that it was permit related for the production delay, if I may ask?

I have sources within the production, I cant be more exact.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Feb 2015 19:53 #40321 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!
Is the show really going to film in Los Angles?

More
10 Feb 2015 07:42 #40331 by castor

fats wrote:

SupergirlTV wrote:

fats

I have sources within the production, I cant be more exact.

Fats

Yeah in LA if you need to close down a street or do a big stunt or car chase you need to get permission from the city-which can take awhile, you need to post them on a wall(i have seen the wall-its hillarious). This takes time. You usually bake this time a bit into production time-but ehh.

Castor

More
10 Feb 2015 08:12 #40332 by castor

shadar wrote:
Right now the enthusiasm for things superhero seem to be enjoying a rising surf.

The big question to be answered in box office and ratings... Will the mass of superhero movies and TV shows (from everywhere) saturate the market iduring the next 2+ years, or will it open the flood gates for more?

And will this wave last until my longed for "animation indistinguishable from live action" technology is ready? That's the point when superhero movies will have no limits.

Imagine being able to capture anything you can envision in your wildest imagination, and do it in a way that looks totally real, with all "filming" done in the belly of a computer. Actors become merely models for the animation, which could improve them far beyond the bounds of merely human.

Well my mentor as a writer was one of the creators of the show Miami Vice. Cop show.

He didn't much care for superheros. Thought they where silly.

If your familiar however with Miami Vice in particular and superheros in general....well

Its not really that diffrent. Similar concepts struggles etc. You have your hero your villian -it works the same. The chain of command can be diffrent. Miami Vice is a lot less realistic i think then something like Batman.

You used to see a lot of cop movies- Lethal Wepion, 48 Hours-but well in the last 10 or so years thats been drying up.

You still see a lot of cop shows--but i think superhero shows are starting to fill some of those up-shows like Powers and Gotham . which doesn't look good takes it litterally. But yeah there is about a dozen cop shows on at one time in america, and new ones cycle in and out all the time(some of which my mentor also worked on). I could see the number being quite a bit higher.

Will this last forever-i don't know. probabbly not but long enough i think. Its mentioned in another Show Sif is back on AOS-and i could kind of see her with her own show. That could be neat-but who knows. I do think Marvel in particular wants to limit there number not increase it.

More
10 Feb 2015 12:32 #40335 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!
I haven't had my fill of Jaime Alexandra as Sif. So happy she is back on SHIELD again. TV show would be weird, but I'd be there.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:40 - 10 Feb 2015 13:43 #40336 by lfan

shadar wrote:

I think personally thtat the next 12 months will determine whether or not the superhero craze is a fad or something with a little more staying power, especially for TV. Up until about a year ago, the only exposure we really had was 1-2 blockbusters a year and Smallville on TV. Then about a year ago, they started rolling out Flash, Gothem, the second season of Arrow, and Constantine. So far, except for the latter (which is prob gonna be shipped to syfy) , it's somewhat of a novelty and the results are good.

In the next 12 months, not even counting what's coming in the theaters, we'll have all the above series along with Powers, Daredevil, Supergirl, and probably Teen Titans. Jessica Jones also wil follow soon and maybe Krypton.....That is literally 8-9 times the superhero shows on TV compared to a year ago (only Arrow). I'm game for it, but I question whether people will embrace it and get worried at times.

Ironically, I think e exposure to MORE superheroes via blockbusters like GotG, MOS2, and Avengers I think will help by getting mainstream viewers more into the characters and mythology which is right now more chic than geek.

Elf
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 13:43 by lfan.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Feb 2015 15:04 #40510 by lfan
A blonder Melissa stepping out for an awards show:

Whether she'll get another "layer" I don't know. I personally think it should be a little lighter.

ElF

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Feb 2015 17:56 #40511 by shadar
I'd call her current look brunette with blonde highlights. Definitely not a sunshine blonde like Kara has always been universally portrayed, in comics, movies and TV. I'm hardly an expert, but I think there's an argument for changing one's hair color in stages to avoid too much damage, especially coming from a dark brunette and trying to get to true blonde. So hopefully this is the first stage.

That said, I find it amazing the stuff we fans obsess over. I'm as guilty as anyone. I try to tone it down and be more open to change, but I can't avoid having clear expectations about costume and hair and script and etc. etc. The only good news is that I'm not alone in my obsession. Especially among this illustrious group of fans.

John

• shadar
More
22 Feb 2015 18:36 #40512 by lfan
Shadar, I think you are right about doing it in stages, to minimize shock damage. Here is another pic that makes it look a little lighter, in any case:

ElF

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Feb 2015 19:19 #40513 by fats
the blond highlights are a halfway house between her natural hair colour and the wig that she is going to ware.

also there is discussion in the production team as to the idea that she should have contacts as well or she should stay with her natural eye colour.

Costume has been delayed as there is some thoughts floating around that she should not have a cape rather than have one.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, shadar

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Feb 2015 21:06 #40515 by shadar

fats wrote: the blond highlights are a halfway house between her natural hair colour and the wig that she is going to ware.

also there is discussion in the production team as to the idea that she should have contacts as well or she should stay with her natural eye colour.

Costume has been delayed as there is some thoughts floating around that she should not have a cape rather than have one.

Fats

Interesting that she is going to wear a wig. I presume a blonde one as opposed to Kara's reverse deal of wearing a dark wig as Linda.

I'd definitely vote for the blue contacts to match the character, but I suppose that could also depend on how well she tolerates contacts. Not everyone is comfortable wearing them.

But natural eyes and half-blonde hair as Linda (from the character's perspective, she's wearing dark contacts a Linda), and blue contacts and blonde wig as Supergirl to maximize the effect.

Could be interesting if I'm reading this right.

• shadar
More
22 Feb 2015 21:31 #40517 by SupergirlTV
Replied by SupergirlTV on topic Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!

fats wrote: the blond highlights are a halfway house between her natural hair colour and the wig that she is going to ware.

Fats

WAIT WHAT!!!! No cape! that seems ridiculous, why wouldn't she have a cape? Also, wig? like will the Character have a wig or does Melissa just wear a wig during filming?

More
23 Feb 2015 00:52 #40519 by shadar

SupergirlTV wrote:

Fats

WAIT WHAT!!!! No cape! that seems ridiculous, why wouldn't she have a cape? Also, wig? like will the Character have a wig or does Melissa just wear a wig during filming?

If they are true to the comicbook, then Linda will wear a dark wig to hide her natural blonde. So maybe she keeps lightening her hair and then wears a dark wig as Linda? The only way that could make sense is if they have decided to include the brunette wig as part of the character's identity (and not just something Melissa does as the actress). Like Clark's glasses.

So bizarrely, Melissa has to dye her hair blonde so she can wear a wig that matches her natural hair color (as Linda).

Anyone see this differently?

• shadar
More
23 Feb 2015 01:28 #40520 by fats

shadar wrote:

SupergirlTV wrote:

Fats

If they are true to the comicbook, then Linda will wear a dark wig to hide her natural blonde. So maybe she keeps lightening her hair and then wears a dark wig as Linda? The only way that could make sense is if they have decided to include the brunette wig as part of the character's identity (and not just something Melissa does as the actress). Like Clark's glasses.

So bizarrely, Melissa has to dye her hair blonde so she can wear a wig that matches her natural hair color (as Linda).

Anyone see this differently?

the info that i have is that the wig is going to be blonde, for when she needs to be SG and her highlighted hair is going to be the normal hair colour for the series, remember the wig is for production reasons only. the blond highlights are a hint, a clue to her alter ego.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Feb 2015 03:05 - 23 Feb 2015 03:06 #40521 by castor
Not going with a cape would be a huge mistake

Well without you would have to do a huge redesign.

Supergirl without it costume is...well a kind of an odd looking dress. It plays less as super as...mother nature as a symbol as bounty

(there is a reason that most superheroine don't wear dresses-and its not the undies issue but becuse...well thats what women wear traditionally.)

Without a cape you could probabbly wear a supergirl outfit out on the town even in a world where super symbol doesn't mean anything. Its an odd looking dress, and i bet there going with the kind of fabrics you don't normally see dresses-but thats it .

You could loose the dress-the current bathing suit or the 70s hot pants aren't necessairly bad-but the cape is really what ties it as Not natural, not human, superheuman.

Now there are plenty of superheoines without capes-you can do that. However its kind of going to stage 1. i would just start over with the outfit.

You could even theroetically go with normal clothing and no costume-but kind of going half wy there pleases noone.

At least thats my peice.

Castor
Last edit: 23 Feb 2015 03:06 by castor.

More
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds