Amount

Supergirl's hair conundrum

27 Feb 2015 15:05 #40627 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum

shadar wrote:

five_red wrote: There's a reasonable possibility the difference in hair colour will not be explained at all. One has to understand that while (some!) fans may be obsessed with making every last jot and tittle explicable, tv producers don't care so much. We're dealing with a tv series about a woman who can fly, bench press a juggernaut, and survive a nuclear explosion without a scratch -- the fact that her hair changes shades when she switches identities may not be considered a high priority for an on-screen explanation.

So you're asking a question that has a high probability of not being answered (if other shows are any guide.)

After all, we got through a season and half of Wonder Woman without anyone explaining why Diana Prince's hair went from straight and chestnut brown to permed and dark brown whenever she twirled into action. ;)

You could very well be right. TV producers/writers aren't known for their attention to the details of the books or comics they base their stories on.

That said, I think they will be forced to make it part of the plot. The handling of her two identities (on many levels) is going to be the cornerstone of the show. And while the whole changing appearance/costume thing is unknown (other than that MB wears a blonde wig as Supergirl), it seems like they are looking seriously at having her wear some aspect of the iconic costume. Probably not the iconic blue leotard (little more than a second skin) and a mini-micro skirt, but hopefully something close.

But mostly, as MB stated in a recent interview, this is a human story about empowerment.

"What's so wonderful about her is that she is such a relatable character, amongst her powers," said Benoist. "What I'm the most excited about is telling a story about a human being really realizing their potential and their strength, and I think that's something that everyone will root for and want in their own lives – I'm really excited about that."

While Benoist would not reveal if she would be wearing any version of the traditional Supergirl costume in the series – or a superhero costume at all – she did reveal that she's taken a good look at the comic book suit, including its often micro-mini hemline.

"It's a little daunting," she laughed. "It's daunting, but that's good. I like being pushed. I work well under pressure."

The real challenge (as I see it) is to make someone with such incredible physical powers "relatable" to a general audience. Presumably she faces and overcomes many human challenges on the way to becoming empowered, and doesn't just punch her way to supreme power.

In that regard at least, her story may resonate with Clark's, given it wasn't easy for him to find his way as Superman in the beginning either. He had to set some inviolate rules for himself because he could do anything. No one on Earth can compel him to behave in a certain way, only his own rules and self-discipline. It's one of the key aspects that defines his character. His self-defined morality goes well beyond what any policeman or soldier would ever claim: a vow to not take a life, or allow one to be taken if he can prevent it, no matter what the stakes.

Or course, that leads to implausible story lines and miraculous saves in the comics. I hope the TV show takes a more realistic view. If two suicidal terrorists are about to push the button on an improvised nuke, in the middle of a city, any reasonable hero would take out the terrorists if that saves the day. But not Superman. He'd find a way to deliver them to justice alive -- and stop the detonation. The stories as written for him always allow him to find some miraculous solution that doesn't involve killing. This was one of the things that both fascinated me and discouraged me about Superman stories.

Because real life is not so easy. Terrorists would know about him. They'd take precautions. They know about his pledge to never take a life. They'd use that against him.

I hope similar moral challenges figure into Kara's story in the show. How she weighs the relative morality of her actions. How she does her moral calculus. Is killing two suicidal zeolots to save ten thousand innocents a good tradeoff? We would all say so.

Superman would not agree. Kara as depicted in the TV show... unknown.

Shadar

Great points!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• algae2k
  • Away
  • Site Proofreader
  • Site Proofreader
More
28 Feb 2015 13:42 #40659 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum

shadar wrote: [...] it seems like they are looking seriously at having her wear some aspect of the iconic costume. Probably not the iconic blue leotard (little more than a second skin) and a mini-micro skirt, but hopefully something close.

I assume you're taking about the Helen Slater movie costume (and it's counterpart in the DNAOS series), as this is the most iconic of all the character's various outfits(?) If that is the case, then one might be tempted to suggest the change of hair colour will most likely be explained using exactly the same means that were employed in the 1984 movie. ;)

But in all seriousness, when it comes to superheroines Hollywood tends to prefer magical transformations over dressing/undressing. The most likely outcome is that she'll twirl around and/or be engulfed in light and emerge as Supergirl, which makes any magical change in hair colour somewhat secondary to a magical change of clothing. The odds of her running into a secluded alleyway and ripping open her shirt to expose her super-togs (a la the classic comicbooks) is about as likely as a Super Klenk video showing up on YouTube. :)

R5

Supergirl Pre-Crisis Chronology: www.superwomenmania.com/supergirltl/
Supergirl: the Life and Times of Kara Zor-El: maidofmight.wordpress.com/
DeviantArt: 5red.deviantart.com/
Blog: x5red.tumblr.com/

More
28 Feb 2015 13:45 #40660 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum

five_red wrote:

shadar wrote: [...] it seems like they are looking seriously at having her wear some aspect of the iconic costume. Probably not the iconic blue leotard (little more than a second skin) and a mini-micro skirt, but hopefully something close.

I assume you're taking about the Helen Slater movie costume (and it's counterpart in the DNAOS series), as this is the most iconic of all the character's various outfits(?) If that is the case, then one might be tempted to suggest the change of hair colour will most likely be explained using exactly the same means that were employed in the 1984 movie. ;)

But in all seriousness, when it comes to superheroines Hollywood tends to prefer magical transformations over dressing/undressing. The most likely outcome is that she'll twirl around and/or be engulfed in light and emerge as Supergirl, which makes any magical change in hair colour somewhat secondary to a magical change of clothing. The odds of her running into a secluded alleyway and ripping open her shirt to expose her super-togs (a la the classic comicbooks) is about as likely as a Super Klenk video showing up on YouTube. :)

R5

Super Klenk..... *deep sigh* :(

• lfan
  • Away
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
28 Feb 2015 18:24 - 28 Feb 2015 23:13 #40668 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum

five_red wrote:

R5

They better not do a twirl around Wonder Woman flash of light thingy. Khryptonians don't use magic. In fact, they hate it most of all, given its the one thing that knocks them for a loop. (Well, except for Kryptonite).

One of the nice things about Krypts is that their powers are "scientific" and "technical" related to the sun, and not anything related to the occult.

Shadar
Last edit: 28 Feb 2015 23:13 by shadar.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
01 Mar 2015 03:13 #40673 by Supergirlfan
Replied by Supergirlfan on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
I bet... It will be a quick change like they do in the Flash TV show... Super Speed...Now we might get a hint she has the costume underneath her clothes, but we will never see the change in the alley... :(

More
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds