Amount

Supergirl TV Spot

21 May 2015 04:17 #42212 by lfan
Supergirl TV Spot was created by lfan
Tonight during the airing of Survivor, I was pleasantly surprised by a short TV spot promoting Supergirl "coming this Fall". The clip mostly included footage shown in the upfront trailer, set to "Fight Song" (one of the songs in the trailer), but it did conclude with a promo image/showcase that I had not seen to date -- basically "Supergirl" title over a full frontal shot of her in costume for the head down.

Nice to see CBS appears to be solidly behind this and has their full support. I've looked casually for the spot but haven't seen it posted yet, but I'll continue to look.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 May 2015 04:28 #42213 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl TV Spot
It's on the DVR.
I will see it tomorrow.

More
21 May 2015 05:46 #42217 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl TV Spot
I found it linked here: www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/watch-new...ergirl-promo-trailer

There is a nice bit of new footage here. I like it.

I see what Castor was talking about long trailers. This is a much stronger trailer than was shown before. I don't think the SNL Black Widow Skit was really appropriate comparison (I think mostly it was the music, and them pulling from similar tropes). But you wouldn't make that comparison with this trailer.

And most shows really don't get their footing until 5-6 shows in, so I don't think we've even see what the show is capable of yet. It'll be interesting to see what the arc of the first year really is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
21 May 2015 06:32 - 21 May 2015 06:33 #42218 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl TV Spot
I

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I found it linked here: www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/watch-new...ergirl-promo-trailer

There is a nice bit of new footage here. I like it.

I see what Castor was talking about long trailers. This is a much stronger trailer than was shown before. I don't think the SNL Black Widow Skit was really appropriate comparison (I think mostly it was the music, and them pulling from similar tropes). But you wouldn't make that comparison with this trailer.

And most shows really don't get their footing until 5-6 shows in, so I don't think we've even see what the show is capable of yet. It'll be interesting to see what the arc of the first year really is.

ToT, that link is actually the second, shorter trailer that was posted on the homepage the day after the upfront trailer was released (the link I had was removed a few days later). I agree that this shorter trailer probably better characterises the tone and pace of the show which differs from the six minute trailer.

The TV promo spot I mentioned in this thread is different from both of the previous trailers (though with almost all the same footage). It's even shorter at probably 20-30 seconds. I still cannot find it online as of now....

Regarding the long trailer, we should remember that the six minute trailer, while being a first look, was an upfront trailer. The purpose of the upfronts isn't to promote the show to a general audience, but more so to show the advertisers the shows and their demographic potential. As such, upfront trailers are often made to appeal to the WIDEST demographics possible (ergo, attract the most sponsors). I think this is why the six minute trailer seems like two different shows almost -- the first part almost like a rom com, Sex and the City show, while the second part seemed pure superhero TV show with lots of action.

ElF
Last edit: 21 May 2015 06:33 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 May 2015 15:42 #42230 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Supergirl TV Spot
I was working out at the local YMCA last night when I happened to glance up at one of the TVs and noticed the tail end of this commercial. Glad to see that CBS seems to be solidly behind the show since they are promoting it so early. They probably saw the number of Youtube views the 6 minute trailer got and realize that they might have a hit on their hands (if handled right, of course).

Like I said, I only saw the last few seconds but one thing I did notice was that they are promoting it as a "New Drama coming this fall". Should we read anything into the word "drama"? Obviously, I am not a network marketing expert, but if they are viewing it as a "drama" and not an "action" show, should that be worrisome? I mean, I know I'll be tuning in for the action and not the drama, if that makes sense.

I know, I know. I'm probably worrying over nothing. Let the comments about how old jdrock24 is crazy begin...

More
21 May 2015 16:01 #42232 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl TV Spot
Oh yeah CBS is going to promite this. This early i am a little suprised but maybe not. As was pointed out on Supergirl.tv that the promo video has gotten more hits on Youtube then litterally every other network show combined. They would be fools not to build on this.

I am going to bet that when it premieres in November it gets the highest rating of the season for new shows. Beyond that well, will see but i do think they have the elements together in terms of show, and pubicty to be a gigantic hit-hope they can make it work.

More
21 May 2015 16:09 #42233 by lfan

castor wrote: Oh yeah CBS is going to promite this. This early i am a little suprised but maybe not. As was pointed out on Supergirl.tv that the promo video has gotten more hits on Youtube then litterally every other network show combined. They would be fools not to build on this.

I am going to bet that when it premieres in November it gets the highest rating of the season for new shows. Beyond that well, will see but i do think they have the elements together in terms of show, and pubicty to be a gigantic hit-hope they can make it work.

The more I think about waiting till November, the more I think it sucks but the more I think how smart a move it is. IMO, the biggest pitfall of "most anticipated shows" is the drop-off from week one to week 3. The remake of the Bionic Woman, if I remember, was the highest rated premiere that year but the drop-off for week 2 was staggering (I think like 40%).

If CBS schedules it after sweeps when the other show airings are probably on midseason break, they help insure against the dropoff. If numbers are still strong going into the winter break, I think CBS will be quick to renew or, at a minimum, be more patient with it. Of course, the pilot still needs to be good for people to come back, but at least CBS is getting the word out there!

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 May 2015 17:45 #42237 by Markiehoe
I think in the Bionic Woman's case people tuned in with fond memories of the 1970s TV show then were hit with a dark, gritty and pretty depressing pilot episode and never looked back.

Supergirl is looking like the Superman TV show we really want to see not the Man of Steel we are getting at the movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Supergirlfan

More
21 May 2015 18:52 #42238 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Supergirl TV Spot
Keep in mind, that in case of Supergirl, unlike Bionic Woman 2007, Supergirls producers aren't being fired left and right and are actually allowed to do their jobs.

More
21 May 2015 19:17 #42239 by lfan

AJF wrote: Keep in mind, that in case of Supergirl, unlike Bionic Woman 2007, Supergirls producers aren't being fired left and right and are actually allowed to do their jobs.

.....or in the midst of a writers' strike! :) Very valid point and wasn't meaning to pick on BW specifically, which I thought was the victim of some of the worse timing and mismanagement ever.

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 May 2015 20:29 - 21 May 2015 20:31 #42240 by Markiehoe
To end this tangent, I wanted Bionic Woman to succeed also.
That show produced was doomed from the first day.
To dark for what should have been a "family" show.
From the trailer i saw Supergirl will be a great "family" show.
Last edit: 21 May 2015 20:31 by Markiehoe. Reason: additional stuff

More
22 May 2015 15:23 - 22 May 2015 15:25 #42275 by jdrock24

Markiehoe wrote: I think in the Bionic Woman's case people tuned in with fond memories of the 1970s TV show then were hit with a dark, gritty and pretty depressing pilot episode and never looked back.

Supergirl is looking like the Superman TV show we really want to see not the Man of Steel we are getting at the movies.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

You just cannot help yourself from taking shots at MOS, can you?

When you say "we really want to see", don't you mean what you really want to see?
Last edit: 22 May 2015 15:25 by jdrock24.

More
23 May 2015 09:42 #42297 by rivet
Replied by rivet on topic Supergirl TV Spot
I'm going to back Markie on this one. I don't have a huge love for the dark look on what was meant to spread hope. If you want depressing, go hang out in a hospital. I'd like something more positive for entertainment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
23 May 2015 20:41 #42306 by jdrock24

rivet wrote: I'm going to back Markie on this one. I don't have a huge love for the dark look on what was meant to spread hope. If you want depressing, go hang out in a hospital. I'd like something more positive for entertainment.

My only problem with Markie's post was his use of the term "we". Like he was speaking for everyone when he said that no one wanted to see more serious comic book fare (like MOS) rather than the fluffy, fun, laugh-a-minute stuff Marvel has been putting out.

If that is your opinion, fine, but that is all it is. Don't try to imply that everyone thinks like you do, or should, for that matter.

More
24 May 2015 04:01 #42311 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl TV Spot

jdrock24 wrote:

rivet wrote: I'm going to back Markie on this one. I don't have a huge love for the dark look on what was meant to spread hope. If you want depressing, go hang out in a hospital. I'd like something more positive for entertainment.

My only problem with Markie's post was his use of the term "we". Like he was speaking for everyone when he said that no one wanted to see more serious comic book fare (like MOS) rather than the fluffy, fun, laugh-a-minute stuff Marvel has been putting out.

If that is your opinion, fine, but that is all it is. Don't try to imply that everyone thinks like you do, or should, for that matter.

There has always been the perception among many comic book fans for at least the last twenty years that serious and dark tales are deeper, more real, more revealing and weighty.

Happy, light stories are often regarded as fluff. Fun but not meaty enough for a real fan.

I fall somewhere in the middle, but I do favor stories that are meticulous and "realistic".

I thought MOS was a bit right of the middle, but not too dark. Not fluffy, but not nearly as forbidding as someone like a Frank Miller. I always have my gripes about any comic book depiction, but I liked it at least as well as the best of the Christopher Reeve movies. MOS fed the analytical machine inside my much older head. In contrast, the older Superman movies were good for replaying the dreams of my youth.

If I had to vote for which approach should become canon for future movies, I would unquestioningly say MOS. (I'm still hoping that Kara Zor El's ancestor, Kara El, escaped the ship 20,000 years ago and her part-Kryptonian offspring are living in our current day fictional Earth. I think there are some outstanding stories about 400 generations of her offspring on Earth that have never been told. MOS has opened the door to do that if they wish.

One thought... where did the Greek, Roman, Norse, etc gods come from? Kara El landed on earth more than 16,000 years before we have the first references to these gods. Are they all part Kryptonian? Where else has Kryptonian blood gone? Presumably it would become more dilute with time until perhaps only a hint shows up in people today who are extreme athletes. But thousands of years ago, there were much more robust Kryptonian descendants living on Earth.

Imagine how much more successful a man or woman would be if they were born with some Kryptonian blood? That blood would fuel the best bloodlines in history.

That would be a fun series to write.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
24 May 2015 17:18 #42319 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Supergirl TV Spot
Where do any of our mythologies really come from, I wonder? What were the Greek and Norse gods really based on?

C.S. Lewis once suggested they were based on real-life people from the formative years of their cultures who were "promoted" to godhood, so to speak. That might account for what, to modern eyes, seem like soap opera lives – the Greek gods are no more models for good behavior than the denizens of DALLAS (If you can remember that!) or today's "reality" shows.

I haven't kept up with the current crop of superhero movies, but I gather that most of them, have to do with the arbitrarily "good" heroes and the arbitrarily "bad" ones duking it out, often with a lot of collateral damage. There are exceptions, or have been, at least; Iron Man is a man of principle, or at least he started out that way. But in the second movie, they lost sight of what he stood for in favor of just stupid action. I don't know where things have gone from there.

I think it matters what heroes and heroines actually stand for. That's central to Aurora Universe fiction, at least. That's rare in any kind of movies these days. One exception was a character called simply the Driver in a series of short films sponsored by BMW, but made by top-name directors and starring Clive Owen. Here's one example. We hear a lot about "honor," often in the context of "honor" cultures and even "honor killings." But Owen's character is a man of true honor, as we learn in the denouement of The Follow. We need more like him, in real life as well as fiction...

--Brantley

More
25 May 2015 02:31 #42328 by SupergirlTV
Replied by SupergirlTV on topic Supergirl TV Spot
Has anyone with cable been able to capture the tv spot for Supergirl? like the 30 second commercial?

More
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds