Amount

** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion

25 May 2015 06:21 - 26 May 2015 21:29 #42335 by shadar
I thought I would open a topic that is EXCLUSIVELY spoilers and labeled as such.

WARNING...

IF YOU READ THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU WATCH THE PILOT, YOU WILL BE SPOILED

********************************************************************************************************

By the way, as a Mac OS X user, I found the following tools worked:

1) Downloaded the free uTorrent application and installed. (Google is your friend)

2) Found the 1080p version (about 6.5GB if I recall) and downloaded the torrent file. (Google is your friend)

3) Double-click on torrent file in Downloads directory and it will load uTorrent and start downloading. It took about 1.5 hours to download with my not very fast internet access.

4) Downloaded the free VLC application and installed. (Google is your friend). None of the default OS X software will play the .mkv container file format that most torrents use these days.

From there, it was astounding viewing.

There are other ways, but this is what worked for me. Other than the download time for the show itself, this all took less than five minutes.

Oh, not to forget, this was followed by 46 minutes of viewing bliss.
Last edit: 26 May 2015 21:29 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 May 2015 16:18 #42344 by shadar
Warning: Spoiler!

• shadar
More
25 May 2015 21:59 - 25 May 2015 22:03 #42348 by Monty
Sounds excellent Shadar! We can't have her flying around with
no real purpose...

... So bring it on!
Last edit: 25 May 2015 22:03 by Monty.

More
25 May 2015 22:15 #42349 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic SPOILERS Supergirl Pilot Discussion SPOILERS
Thanks for starting this thread Shadar. Here are my thoughts on the pilot:

More
26 May 2015 00:44 #42353 by shadar

jdrock24 wrote: Thanks for starting this thread Shadar. Here are my thoughts on the pilot:

• shadar
More
26 May 2015 01:11 #42354 by TheRo

shadar wrote:

jdrock24 wrote: Thanks for starting this thread Shadar. Here are my thoughts on the pilot:

More
26 May 2015 01:42 #42355 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic SPOILERS Supergirl Pilot Discussion SPOILERS

shadar wrote:

More
26 May 2015 02:11 #42356 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic SPOILERS Supergirl Pilot Discussion SPOILERS

More
26 May 2015 12:51 - 26 May 2015 12:54 #42364 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic SPOILERS Supergirl Pilot Discussion SPOILERS
Last edit: 26 May 2015 12:54 by jdrock24.

More
26 May 2015 15:08 - 26 May 2015 16:20 #42368 by lfan
I know I said to tag anything with the Spoiler tag, but at this point -- in a dedicated thread -- the amount of spoiler clicks for quoted posts is driving me crazy, so I'm just gonna say....

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

The Good
========
1. Melissa Benoist! I LOVED LvV and deeply regretted she never was Supergirl in the rumored spinoff series they were talking about way back, but after watching MB take up the mantle, I'd have a hard time seeing anyone else in the role -- Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl!! MB brought a youthful exuberance to the role, playing the "OMG-this-is-so-cool" super person one minute (bullet scene at the bank) then the unsure heroine next (getting ass kicked by Vartox) and then resolute "I-can-do-this!" superhero (taking on the truck). It's kinda cliche and hokey, but I like it and equate it to the character. In any case, I think MB does a great job and looks INCREDIBLE in costume. Super adorableness comes to mind as her primary superpower. She also has great expressions like when she was being shot, the "I can do a car chase" look, and even when she sees herself on TV saving the plane.....
2. Speaking of the plane, I think this is one of the best VFX sequences I've ever seen on TV in a superhero show. Reminiscent of the Superman Returns plane scene (though at night), it was really well done. Physics and pilot training aside, I thought it looked pretty realistic. And the action......from Kara finding Alex on the plane to her jumping and then soaring into the scene and all the heavy lifting (the fuselage bending as well)....incredible!
3. Wynn -- saw some people did not like the character, but I thought he was great. The lesbian thing on the roof was a little awkward, but that aside, I thought he was great comedic relief.
4. The prison ship -- while this was not without its plot holes (see below), I thought it was a pretty good setup for her Rogue's Gallery......being a prison, they have an excuse too of not having them all be Kryptonian but gathered from around the galaxy (though one would assume the majority WAS Kryptonian)
5. Comic shoutouts -- while I haven't watched the pilot repeatedly just to find more of them, I did catch a few of the shoutouts to Supergirl canon and her creators. She saved the plane over the Otto Binder (creator of SGirl) Bridge and then the fire over the scanner was at the corner of Gates and Igle (Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle, the creative team on the Supergirl book that this seems to be mostly based on)
6. The General.....nice twist! Make so much sense that the buzz that Laura B. was cast in such a pivitol role (and not just for the pilot and flashbacks) and why she has been cryptic in interviews over her "character". Gender bending Zod and making it a family member I think offers a lot of possibilities too.
7. Costume montage -- loved the "evolution" of her costume and learning about them. The fact that it was set to C. Carlton's "Bad Mama Jama" only made it sweeter as that evoked memories of the old Wonder Woman TV spots I remember watching that were also set to that song! :)
8. The short red boots! Shoutout to animated supergirl with the short red boots. Loved her walking in them in the bank scene as bullet rained down around them. Of course, they also did nothing but showcase MB's fabulous legs!

The Bad
=======
1. The secret identity -- or lack thereof. OK, let's count.......mom, dad, Alex, Wynn, Jimmy, Hank, a ton of people at DOE, the Commander, the General, and probably more than a few of the prisoners. That's a lot! Granted, as I mentioned before, EVERY cast member on the Flash knows his secret, but some of them were built over the course of 23 episodes, not right outta the gate of the pilot.
2. The prison ship -- been mentioned a bunch before, but if Kara's ship busted thru 12 years ago, why was a group so bent on world domination (at least its upper mgmt) been lying low for so long? Basically you figure there are hundreds of supermen (and women!) in there, why wait 12 years as technology becomes more advanced for the DOE, why not strike now? I have to feel that more of this will be revealed later.
3. Superman -- again, has been mentioned before by others and might be explained later, but he drops her off and has no more contact with her? What an asshole!
4. Danvers -- nice cameos....all 10 seconds of them. Maybe they will be in more flashbacks and maybe they had some scenes cut, but I was surprised they weren't in it more
5. The pace -- they seemed to cram in ALOT in such a short time. Based on some of the scenes being SO SHORT and obviously the product of editing, I love the idea of a 2-hour pilot! Turn a weakness into a strength.
6. Bank robbery scene was way too short and FX light -- I understand the car chase scene being short due to the "cape", but she saved the day in the bank robbery. The bullets bouncing off looked fine, but they all seemed to bounce of her two shoulder blades. Considering the rapid rate of fire, it should have been far more richochets one would think (given the number of slugs bouncing off). I was also hoping for a full length shot of her in the short red boots.

The Ugly
=======
1. As good as the plane crash was VFX wise, I thought the final fight was kinda bad. The truck scene and the heat vision were pretty well done, but the fighting looked awkward and too "wire-y" at times. The kick through the truck was great from a girl power standpoint, but I thought it looked awkward. UPDATE: OK, I just watched the pilot again in 1080 HD....the last fight scene doesn't look as bad as I thought. In fact, looks pretty decent aside from a few scenes (still the kick thru the truck)
2. Vartox -- still wavering whether I liked him or not. He seemed way over the top and literal, but then again he was an alien. Some of his lines were just too corny and over the top for me.
3. Speaking of dialog, it did border on ubercheesy at times as well. I know its light comic book fare, but they seemed to over do it at times. The DOE I thought, got some atrocious lines (Henshaw's "some of them have powers beyond your wildest nightmares" and "make sure you win!" along with Alex's "why? cause she's a girl? That's what we were counting on!") I can handle some characters (like Wynn) having nerdy, cliche lines, but it didn't seem to fit Henshaw's character. Of course, I was thinking of David Estes (Homeland) everytime he opened his mouth.....

Overall, I thought it was quite solid.....better than most superhero pilots I have seen (except maybe Daredevil). I think if they didn't do anything to the pilot, it would be a great pilot and set to air, but I hope they can do a little polish on it, if nothing else than just some of the VFX in the final scene.

I've watched it now 3 times in its entirety and am feeling more and more confident we'll see a great show come November.

ElF
Last edit: 26 May 2015 16:20 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, shadar

More
26 May 2015 21:47 #42380 by Scwank
Replied by Scwank on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion
[SPOILERS BELOW!!]]

I probably missed it, but can anyone explain the reasoning behind her capture and subsequent release by the DOE? I wasn't fully focused on the dialog during that segment, but it seemed like they captured her, and tied her to the table, only to talk to her a bit and then let her go. What was the point of capturing her if they only planned to talk to her? Or did they just let her go because of her sister?

More
26 May 2015 22:02 - 26 May 2015 22:02 #42381 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion

Scwank wrote: [SPOILERS BELOW!!]]

I probably missed it, but can anyone explain the reasoning behind her capture and subsequent release by the DOE? I wasn't fully focused on the dialog during that segment, but it seemed like they captured her, and tied her to the table, only to talk to her a bit and then let her go. What was the point of capturing her if they only planned to talk to her? Or did they just let her go because of her sister?

I thought that was weird too. They apparently staged the fire so they could ambush her with Kryptonite darts and then strap her to a table. I suppose that was their idea of having a little talk. But all they had to do was to ask Alexa to bring her by for a chat. But I figured, what the hell. It's a trope. Tying Supergirl to a table with green K. Had to do it I guess. Even if it was pointless.

If they have to cut anything from the final pilot, this scene is on the top of my list to go.

Shadar
Last edit: 26 May 2015 22:02 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scwank

• shadar
More
27 May 2015 01:07 #42386 by talk2sparky
Replied by talk2sparky on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion

Scwank wrote: [SPOILERS BELOW!!]]

I'm thinking to make a point. Hank can say "Look, we can bring you down. You better do what we say." He doesn't trust aliens and that includes Kara.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Scwank, Supergirlfan

More
27 May 2015 03:35 #42389 by TwiceOnThursdays

lfan wrote:
2. The prison ship -- been mentioned a bunch before, but if Kara's ship busted thru 12 years ago, why was a group so bent on world domination (at least its upper mgmt) been lying low for so long? Basically you figure there are hundreds of supermen (and women!) in there, why wait 12 years as technology becomes more advanced for the DOE, why not strike now? I have to feel that more of this will be revealed later.

ElF

When talking to Vartox, creepy second in command guy, said "We've been forced to hide in the shadows for 12 years. But the General's arrival is imminent. Nothing must interfere."

I suspect that the answer to your question is "Why is the General just now arriving".

Was she still stuck in the Phantom Zone? Something/one caused Kara's ship to exit the zone, it wasn't accidental. And NO WAY was the Prison ship following accidental.

I could see with Earth's tech, it might have taken them a bit to rig up access to the Zone, and go get the General.

Why all those criminals would listen and lay low until then? I don't know. They might have had to kill a few to keep them in line, so their hand wasn't tipped to early. That is the evil military Kryptonians, kept order until their leader arrived.

More
27 May 2015 05:07 #42392 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion
My review - She's like the white "Ugly Betty"

More
27 May 2015 19:15 #42408 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion

bionicskillz wrote: My review - She's like the white "Ugly Betty"

I've never seen the show "Ugly Betty" so I don't get the reference. So is your comment a compliment or a criticism as I honestly don't know?

More
29 May 2015 18:50 #42466 by thewisewatcher
Replied by thewisewatcher on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
Normally we would give a pilot a little bit of leeway and allow a show to stretch it's legs but in this age of SuperHero stuff being highly rated/commercially viable successes I feel that this show wasn't thoroughly thought out.
The tone, dialogue and plot all seem kind of rushed. I understand that you need to establish a show and all it's characters during a pilot to get viewers invested but there were so many elements that could have waited until further along in a season.

The only positive I can take away from this show is that for TV, the special effects are amazing. I will still give this show a chance but I don't think I'll be watching for much longer if this is the tone being set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hughster

More
31 May 2015 12:52 #42489 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion
Just watched it for the first time...no need for a torrent download and potentially damaging the pc at the family home....it's on a google video search to watch online.

The moment when I said "uh....wow"? The final fight scene when she pours on the heat vision above her and she turns her head away with the shining afterglow in her eyes as she turns it off...wow!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, KarkClent

More
31 May 2015 17:57 #42492 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion
I would say the moment there's a clear photo of her (which they go out of their way to tell us there is after the bank fight) the very concept of secret identity is gone (its one of those comic tropes that has far outlived it's usefulness). Then again I've played with Google's facial recognition software and it is grossly powerful.

Some of her emotional roller-coaster antics are agonizingly pedestrian writing. Her pouting after the big scary alien scratched her made me want to retch. "Earth doesn't need me." Whatever. Get over yourself. Earth got along just fine for over a decade while you were hiding under your glasses. But hey, I like my women to actually be strong... Which means amongst other thing giving Hank Henshaw a hard stare and asking "Are you always an obnoxious dick, or only to the female aliens?" Seriously, the is no cause to be rude to the FUCKING KRYPTONIAN. Causal takedown aside you don't want to piss her off. It's shlock writing about a military officer who obviously has no business in the post he holds. No one actually gets to a posting like that without a basic understanding of decorum/diplomacy. Tedious trope-o-rama.

I dearly wish the series nemesis had a title other than "General" It was a cheap thrill hinting at Zod. And last I checked Kryptonian families went into guilds/professions as a whole genetic line. So the sister of a judge would typically be... another Judge? Tell you what "The Judge is coming" would be a hell of a lot scarier than "the General is coming" if you're not going to actually deliver on Zod.

Well, at least there's room for improvement.

More
03 Jun 2015 21:52 - 04 Jun 2015 00:50 #42561 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic OFFICIAL: Supergirl Pilot Trailer
I found this... it's very nice and very well put together

Last edit: 04 Jun 2015 00:50 by Monty.

More
04 Jun 2015 14:57 #42579 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic OFFICIAL: Supergirl Pilot Trailer
I loved every minute of it. It´s something we all dreamed of for a long time, and IMHO they did it right. The airplane sequence was great, and the bank scene to, but the top for me was Supergirl Smashing the truck like that. Just, Wow.

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"

More
16 Jun 2015 22:52 #42817 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic OFFICIAL: Supergirl Pilot Trailer
Last week . I watched most of the pilot on Youtube. The whole pilot was downloaded but the audio sounded a bit off. Benoist's voice didn't sound right.

More
17 Jun 2015 00:13 #42819 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic OFFICIAL: Supergirl Pilot Trailer
Doesn't sound like the Youtube version is what many of us grabbed via Torrent. The best of the Torrent files was 6.5GB, and 1080P and Dolby 5.1. It looked to me like it was ready to broadcast.

• shadar
More
21 Jun 2015 20:06 - 22 Jun 2015 01:39 #42862 by bach2990
Replied by bach2990 on topic OFFICIAL: Supergirl Pilot Trailer
The timeline for Supergirl.

***** Possible Spoilers from Link ******

www.outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item...-cinematic-universes
Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 01:39 by lfan.

More
23 Jun 2015 01:28 #42890 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic ** SPOILERS ** Supergirl Pilot Discussion
So, a few thoughts...

Fort Raaz: Let's remember that the ship crashed on Earth at the same time as Kara; after Kal had become Superman and been active for a while. From a military standpoint, the first thing done in unfamiliar territory is reconnaissance, so an alien or two might have been sent out by the General to see what this new planet has in the way of defenses. Meaning that they could have been picked up by Superman one at a time. There's also the DEO, a military organization specifically designed to take down super-powered aliens and has had probably a decade or more to hoe thier tech and tactics. Looking at it from this perspective, the alien prisoners scattering and laying low makes more sense.

Also, the General could have ordered dispersement and hiding rather than a concerted effort to conquer Earth due to the planet's nuclear weapon stockpile. While we know that Kara and Kal can probably survive a nuclear explosion in the comics, we don't know how extreme the power level in the tv series is going to be. Just a casual perusal of Earth media would tell the General that this planet has nuclear weapons and enough nutjobs in charge of them that revealing themselves too soon could lead to the nations of Earth preferring nuclear annihilation to being conquered. The General would certainly be of that Scorched Earth mindset if she were in charge of planetary defenses.

Flash/Arrow: So, one of my problems was reconciliation Greg Berlanti's statements that Supergril will be in the same universe as Flash and Arrow, yet if Superman's been around for decades, there doesn't seem to be any sign of him in the Arrow-verse. Flash was the *first* superhuman to appear, if Superman were around, wouldn't Team Flash be comparing Barry's capabilities to Superman's in some way? However, the answer was staring me in the face all along.

What if instead of a single Universe, Berlanti is setting up a multi-verse? We know that the Crisis on Infinite Earths is going to be a thing, so what if Supergirl is on a parallel Earth to Arrow/Flash? We're already dealing with time-travel there already, dimensional travel wouldn't be far outside the boundaries. It would allow for the occasional crossover between the shows without Supergirl & Superman being a constant in the Arrow-verse. Also, it would set up the potential to have the DC Cinematic Universe tie in with the TV Universe(s), even leading up to a Crisis event movie in theaters.

More
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds