Amount

*** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game

28 May 2015 16:00 #42436 by lfan
OK, we all know the pilot was the best thing EVER on the internet :P, but it wasn't without errors and inaccuracies. This isn't meant to be mean but merely a fun list of things we saw inaccurate, wrong, or maybe just poorly edited in the trailer. Who knows, maybe the execs or showrunners will be lurking and use this to aid in bettering the show.

With that said.....THIS THREAD HAS SPOILERS....stop reading if you haven't watched the pilot.

Limit one mistake per post to try and make things "easier to read" (though some may argue that line of thinking). You CAN post more than once....

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 May 2015 16:06 #42437 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
In the plane scene (which I'm sure Fats will have a lot to say about), when the fiery engine breaks off and ploughs into Kara and explodes, her clothes aren't damaged in the least

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 May 2015 16:29 #42439 by fats
Replied by fats on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
for me as a pilot the biggest mistake is the actions and dialogue, the aircraft had 4 engines, only 2 where inoperative, it could have flown for hours with no effect, I’ve flown a 747 over the Atlantic ocean on 2 engines and none of the passengers where none the wiser.

also why was a FA walking during emergency flight ops, during those times they remain in their jump-seats awaiting instructions from the flight deck.

I wont talk about the knife edge manoeuvre through the bridge, too many mistakes there to list.

lastly once the aircraft was stable on the water and not moving, WHY was the evacuation procedures not followed and the passengers not told to get off, and why was the chutes not deployed. the aircraft would only float for 2 mins at most and why where people still have their glasses on, and why was the masks deployed, that only happens if the cabin de-pressurised and that would have not happened with engine failure.

The flight crew would have been held to account and the captain and FO would be looking at some serious charges, all in all how not to perform a water landing.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 May 2015 16:44 #42440 by lfan

fats wrote: for me as a pilot the biggest mistake is the actions and dialogue, the aircraft had 4 engines, only 2 where inoperative, it could have flown for hours with no effect, I’ve flown a 747 over the Atlantic ocean on 2 engines and none of the passengers where none the wiser.

also why was a FA walking during emergency flight ops, during those times they remain in their jump-seats awaiting instructions from the flight deck.

I wont talk about the knife edge manoeuvre through the bridge, too many mistakes there to list.

lastly once the aircraft was stable on the water and not moving, WHY was the evacuation procedures not followed and the passengers not told to get off, and why was the chutes not deployed. the aircraft would only float for 2 mins at most and why where people still have their glasses on, and why was the masks deployed, that only happens if the cabin de-pressurised and that would have not happened with engine failure.

The flight crew would have been held to account and the captain and FO would be looking at some serious charges, all in all how not to perform a water landing.

Fats

Well, that was a lot more than one mistake per post, but I know you felt passionate about that scene..... :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 May 2015 16:58 #42441 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
Some bits of dialogue seem to be off when you think about them.

For example, when Kara says "I've never felt pain."

Ummmm, didn't she spend the first 13 years of her life on Krypton where she had no powers? Am I to believe that she never fell and scraped her knee growing up? Never played a sport and was injured? Just seemed a little odd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
28 May 2015 17:04 - 28 May 2015 17:05 #42442 by lfan
I mentioned it before in my REVIEW post, but the bullet scene was a little flawed how the automatic weapons the bank robbers had only evoked a few richochets off of Kara -- all except one on her shoulders. OK, maybe most of their other shots missed, but when they shot down to her feet, we saw a BUNCH of slugs bouncing off, meaning they hit her. Thought they could have made a great scene into an iconic scene with better attention to the details (or maybe just more time in post-production)

ElF
Last edit: 28 May 2015 17:05 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 May 2015 17:15 #42443 by castor
Replied by castor on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
National City is a small Suburb in the south of San Diego not a major metropolis.

I hope someone got fired for that.

More
28 May 2015 18:36 #42444 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game

fats wrote: for me as a pilot the biggest mistake is the actions and dialogue, the aircraft had 4 engines, only 2 where inoperative, it could have flown for hours with no effect, I’ve flown a 747 over the Atlantic ocean on 2 engines and none of the passengers where none the wiser.

Fats

Let me try to NoPrize some of this.

Sure Vartox referred to it as a "bomb", but there were obviously more than one device (multiple engines took fire). In addition to the bomb, there obviously was some device that overrode the plane's systems (maybe multiple devices, designed to totally destroy themselves after the crash leaving no record). Those engines that were still "on" weren't working right. (and were probably lying to the pilots instruments in creative ways)

As for the evacuation procedures, they should have been doing that. And I'd expect flight crews are trained to handle emergencies. OTH this is NOT an average emergency (if you can use such a saying). I think few moments gawking at the flying woman on the wing is rather human. We also only saw part of the passengers, there could have been some of the flight crew doing the right thing.

As for the chutes not deploying, see "flight avionics corrupted by alien tech/virus". Ditto for why the oxygen masks deployed (bug in the virus likely).

As for the bridge maneuver -- I can't really speak to all that is wrong, but I doubt that Supergirl's flying ability is strictly physical. Sure the hull bent a bit --- but only a bit -- and no where NEAR what it should. As I've said before, I suspect that she's really using some form of TK. She violated all sorts of physics, but it doesn't matter, she didn't know that she was, she just made it happen. (It looked cool, so they did it really.)

More
29 May 2015 03:35 #42458 by TwiceOnThursdays

castor wrote: National City is a small Suburb in the south of San Diego not a major metropolis.

There are plenty of existing fictional cities in the DCU too, that is not one of them. (At least I don't remember it, and I didn't find it on a list of DC cities.)

More
29 May 2015 12:47 #42462 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
exactly what i thinked about, I expected a really top classe bullets scene while our great WCG did the same effect with a 1/1000000 budget.

More
29 May 2015 13:58 #42463 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
I got one for you...

A guy killed himself rather than be captured, which is apparently typical of his race. But.... Wasn't he an escaped prisoner? Mmmmm....
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
29 May 2015 14:44 #42464 by TwiceOnThursdays

Dru1076 wrote: I got one for you...

A guy killed himself rather than be captured, which is apparently typical of his race. But.... Wasn't he an escaped prisoner? Mmmmm....

The people who caught him knew this and didn't give him a chance. They either knocked him out or restrained him before he could do it. If she had known Supergirl could have stopped him.

Also might be a variable response. He had just lost to a mere girl, a horrible loss of honor to his culture.

Part of me also wonders if he's really dead. Alien physiology.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076

More
29 May 2015 15:39 #42465 by castor
Replied by castor on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
Also Women can't Fly.

Scientifically they can only Glide.

More
30 May 2015 14:16 - 31 May 2015 20:07 #42478 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
!!! Biggest error ever !!! .. .
  • Young Kara on Krypton: normal ears.
  • Older Kara on Earth: pierced ears.
I mean se-e-e-e-riously !!

I for one will refuse to watch this so-called series while they continue to produce such shoddy work!! What next, I wonder, a tattoo of a bicycle on Kara's ankle? I shudder at the prospect !!

- Disgruntled from National City - (aka R5)

[Edit: also, not only could she not have gotten her ears pierced after she arrived on Earth, but she has super healing powers so they would simply heal up every time she takes the studs out, and given that she's wearing different earrings for her blind date....]
Last edit: 31 May 2015 20:07 by five_red.

More
30 May 2015 17:32 - 30 May 2015 18:12 #42480 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

castor wrote: National City is a small Suburb in the south of San Diego not a major metropolis.

There are plenty of existing fictional cities in the DCU too, that is not one of them. (At least I don't remember it, and I didn't find it on a list of DC cities.)

The original name of what eventually became DC was National Comics

EDIT: National Allied Publications was the name of the original company, back in 1935
Last edit: 30 May 2015 18:12 by ArgentDragon. Reason: correction
The following user(s) said Thank You: AuGoose

More
31 May 2015 17:41 #42491 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
I would classify her still being employed at Katco at the end of the pilot a mistake :pinch:.

More
01 Jun 2015 15:51 - 01 Jun 2015 15:52 #42505 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
@five_red: There are such things as magnetic earrings.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2015 15:52 by algae2k. Reason: thought the quick reply would've had a quote in it... oops!

More
01 Jun 2015 21:10 #42512 by jdrock24
Another confusing bit about the trailer that did not make sense was that Kara had no idea what her mother did for a living back on Krypton.

Again, she lived there until she was 13. How many kids are not able to tell you what their parents do for a living? Much less one who has reached the age of 13? I'm sure my 9 and 6 year old can tell you the occupations of mt wife and I. Well, may be not the 6 year old, but my 9 year old sure can.

In Kara's case, her mother sounds like she must have been a pretty important judge in the legal system in order to send that many people to Ft. Roz (spelling?). So again, how could Kara not know anything about it?

More
02 Jun 2015 04:21 #42528 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game
Maybe her mother was part of a Secret Council that decided the fate of the worst criminals, and outside the view and knowledge of the general population. The Khryptonians were into things like that.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
02 Jun 2015 13:59 #42542 by jdrock24

shadar wrote: Maybe her mother was part of a Secret Council that decided the fate of the worst criminals, and outside the view and knowledge of the general population. The Khryptonians were into things like that.

True. Maybe they will explain it better in subsequent episodes.

One other possible mistake: In Wynn and Kara's first crime fighting jaunt (when they are trying out various costumes), when she finally puts on the \S/ and says "It's not an "S", it's my family's coat of arms", it is still daylight. Wynn then hears a call over the police scanner about a fire, which he informs Kara of. Kara presumable takes off for it right then (After all, it's a freaking fire!). The very next scene as Kara is flying toward the fire, it is pitch black night. So it went from early evening/dusk to pitch black night in the span of a few seconds?

More
02 Jun 2015 14:44 #42543 by lfan

jdrock24 wrote:

shadar wrote: Maybe her mother was part of a Secret Council that decided the fate of the worst criminals, and outside the view and knowledge of the general population. The Khryptonians were into things like that.

True. Maybe they will explain it better in subsequent episodes.

One other possible mistake: In Wynn and Kara's first crime fighting jaunt (when they are trying out various costumes), when she finally puts on the \S/ and says "It's not an "S", it's my family's coat of arms", it is still daylight. Wynn then hears a call over the police scanner about a fire, which he informs Kara of. Kara presumable takes off for it right then (After all, it's a freaking fire!). The very next scene as Kara is flying toward the fire, it is pitch black night. So it went from early evening/dusk to pitch black night in the span of a few seconds?

Nice one! It's not a mistake but did anyone else notice the location of the fire over the scanner ("corner of Gates and Igle")? Nice shoutout to the creators on the run of Supergirl that this version seems to be closest to:

ElF

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Jun 2015 16:45 - 08 Jun 2015 16:46 #42678 by lfan

algae2k wrote: @five_red: There are such things as magnetic earrings.

You're not gonna convince him, Algae2k......Red5 has his own theory :)

Outstanding manip by Red5 himself! Can be found also here: 5red.deviantart.com/art/The-mystery-explained-537542959

ElF

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 08 Jun 2015 16:46 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red, Monty

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Jun 2015 16:50 #42679 by lfan
Though it's not a mistake, per se.....when Alex brings the recorded message to Kara, Kara remarks it's "Kryptonese writing" not Kryptonian. I think it's accurate (the language and lineage is Kryptonian but the alphabet is Kryptonese), but the writing is also usually referred to as "Kryptonian". I'm pretty sure they call it "Kryptonian" in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Jun 2015 21:19 #42683 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game

lfan wrote:

algae2k wrote: @five_red: There are such things as magnetic earrings.

You're not gonna convince him, Algae2k......Red5 has his own theory :)

[Snipped...]

Outstanding manip by Red5 himself! Can be found also here: 5red.deviantart.com/art/The-mystery-explained-537542959

ElF

Cheers for that. Always nice to be appreciated. :-)

As far as I'm concerned, now that we have photographic evidence the whole matter of the earrings is closed. (Hey, whad'ya mean I Photoshop'd it?!? What are you insinuating?)

On a related note: found out yesterday that Helen Slater actually fav'd one of my pics on a certain social network. Yeah, Supergirl herself has pressed a mouse button to indicate a tacit liking for one of my humble pieces of pixel trickery. And with that one simple flexing of a single digit she brought a big smile to my face -- I can now say Supergirl herself (the real Supergirl) has publicly liked a little bit of my work..!

(Wow! What a nice woman she is.)

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Albais

More
29 Jul 2015 15:11 #43415 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic *** SPOILERS **** The Pilot Mistake Game

five_red wrote: I for one will refuse to watch this so-called series while they continue to produce such shoddy work!! What next, I wonder, a tattoo of a bicycle on Kara's ankle? I shudder at the prospect !!

I never saw her on Glee, so I only recently learned something about Melissa Benoist that I came here to share, only to see that you had already made a joke about it that doesn't appear to have gone anywhere. Consider your amusing comment belatedly appreciated.

Apparently, whoever's doing body make-up on this series is going to stay busy.

More
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds