Amount

Good News for UK Supergirl Fans....

14 Oct 2015 16:22 #44568 by lfan
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave147

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Oct 2015 17:14 #44569 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Good News for UK Supergirl Fans....
Fantastic :)

Only 2 weeks from tomorrow 'til a new episode /cheer (well 3 weeks if the first week is the pilot episode ) :)

Thnx for the info Lfan :)

Peace.

/K

More
14 Oct 2015 19:39 #44570 by bach2990
Replied by bach2990 on topic Good News for UK Supergirl Fans....
I will say this, I'm jealous. Do not live in UK or own SKY 1 channel. hmmm

More
14 Oct 2015 19:56 - 14 Oct 2015 20:14 #44571 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Good News for UK Supergirl Fans....

bach2990 wrote: I will say this, I'm jealous. Do not live in UK or own SKY 1 channel. hmmm

The majority of people in the UK don't have Sky 1, so it probably wouldn't have mattered if you did live there. ;)

Good news would have been if Channel 4 had bought it (which is what most UK fans seem to have wanted, according to forums elsewhere.) That would have made Supergirl available to everyone with a TV via the Freeview platform. The rumour was, a few weeks back, that C4 were the front runners -- but personally I always thought the show was an odd fit for C4, and too expensive for E4.

Sky buying it means the UK air dates will be close to the US air dates, but pretty much reduces the potential audience to a tenth of what Channel 4 might have got. Although Sky is the most popular subscription tv platform in the UK, most people I know with Sky pretty much only switch their box on to watch the football, or the odd box set on demand. Sky 1 has only limited access on Virgin (it isn't part of the cheaper packages), and I don't think the BT platform carries it at all.

I think the box set market is really why Sky bought the show -- they want to compete with Netflix, I don't think they are that bothered about channels like Sky 1 any more. Sky Broadband is what they are interested in selling.

Still, I guess Sky 1 is better than it not being seen at all -- at least fans who know it is on will be able to seek it out somewhere. Pity it wasn't C4 though, with the mass visibility it has.

[Edit: ironically, just as I hit SUBMIT, an advert for Sky boxsets appeared on my tv :) ]

R5
Last edit: 14 Oct 2015 20:14 by five_red.

More
14 Oct 2015 20:44 #44572 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Good News for UK Supergirl Fans....
i too don't have Sky, this is due to where my new house is I cant get a sat signal, I'm currently looking at the alternatives to that, if it was on netflix or amazon prime that would be best for me, it looks like I'm going to have to find alternatives to sky.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Oct 2015 22:39 - 14 Oct 2015 22:50 #44574 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Good News for UK Supergirl Fans....

fats wrote: i too don't have Sky, this is due to where my new house is I cant get a sat signal, I'm currently looking at the alternatives to that, if it was on netflix or amazon prime that would be best for me, it looks like I'm going to have to find alternatives to sky.

fats

It's okay news for fans who already know about the show, and have access to Sky, because Sky will at least show the episodes with minimal delay after their US screening. But in terms of the bigger picture, Sky 1 is not a good pick.

Even for people with Sky subscriptions, they usually only have the one STB, based in the living room -- so 'personal' TVs like those in kid's bedrooms etc. are limited to the standard 60-or-so Freeview channels that everyone in the UK gets for nowt. If the show had been on C4 it might have attracted a good sized UK fan base of people who stumbled across it, and liked what they found, and became Supergirl fans. You could say "oh I watched Supergirl last night" with the reasonable expectation that other people would know what you're on about, even if they didn't watch it themselves (in the same manner as "I watched Downton Abbey" or "Doctor Who".) On Sky 1, however, the possibility that Supergirl could build a UK fan base (beyond the comicbook fans who already know about the show) is almost non-existent. Too few people hit Sky 1 while channel surfing (or see promos for Sky 1 shows) largely because Sky 1 is only in a minority of homes, and typically only via the one living room tv.

Fats, in terms of seeing Supergirl without a satellite dish, you have three options AFAIK:
  • Subscribe to Virgin Media, using one of the top two pricing tiers, and sign up for one of their Tivo boxes, and I think they will stream Sky 1 as part of that.*
  • Buy a cheap Roku (£30) streaming box and use the Sky Now TV Entertainment Pass at £7 per month.*
  • Sign up for free at www.ustvnow.com/ (because you're an American living in the UK, right? Right? Sure you are!) and watch it live as it is broadcast in the US on CBS.

* = Make sure you're on a decent ISP, with a good speed, however. The show goes out at 8pm, which is still within peak time for internet traffic/congestion.

R5
Last edit: 14 Oct 2015 22:50 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: castor

More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds