Amount

Supergirl Spoilers and Discussions: Ep 1x01 "Pilot"

28 Oct 2015 04:01 #44817 by Random321
I watched it streaming on the CBS webpage today. I had seen the leaked version but enjoyed it the second time around more. I was surprised by that since it seemed like such a fru-fru episode to me at the time but there was more character dev on the subtle side and story than I recalled.

I love Gotham but I'm really happy to have a "bright" show - even the night scenes. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. The costume is really growing on me. Melissa and the support cast are too. It's just so awesome to have so much action and good FX. It's fun being put to shame finally!

Just hoping for more fun episodes and good writing. The cast seems to have a fair chemistry out of the gate. It will be interesting to watch it in the future and see if I end up cringing like I do when I re-watch most pilots.

Project Super Woman
SFX Laden Video Shorts and Digital Comics Featuring Super Heroines
www.projectsuperwoman.com

Home of Mindy Marvel, Super Michaela, Domina, E-Girl, Bionica, Power Play, Amp, Superheroines & Super Villains.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Project Super Woman
More
28 Oct 2015 04:21 #44820 by talk2sparky
Replied by talk2sparky on topic Supergirl Spoilers and Discussions: Ep 1x01 "Pilot"

YAGS wrote: One more complaint: So if she didn't have a secret identity before, then why was she wearing glasses at the start of the episode? What possible purpose could they serve for a girl with Kryptonian supervision who doesn't have a reason to hide her face behind them?

I have a theory behind the glasses. What if, when she first got to Earth and started developing her powers, she was having trouble with her heat vision and/or x ray vision. The Danvers are scientists so maybe they created special glasses that could control her eye based powers. She just kept wearing them out of comfort.

Remember when looks up at the plane, she whips off her glasses just before using her x ray vision. It's just a theory.

More
28 Oct 2015 09:23 #44824 by Woodclaw

talk2sparky wrote:

YAGS wrote: One more complaint: So if she didn't have a secret identity before, then why was she wearing glasses at the start of the episode? What possible purpose could they serve for a girl with Kryptonian supervision who doesn't have a reason to hide her face behind them?

I have a theory behind the glasses. What if, when she first got to Earth and started developing her powers, she was having trouble with her heat vision and/or x ray vision. The Danvers are scientists so maybe they created special glasses that could control her eye based powers. She just kept wearing them out of comfort.

Remember when looks up at the plane, she whips off her glasses just before using her x ray vision. It's just a theory.

This is a possibility. My guess was similar, but I considered from a slightly different angle, namely the idea that she uses her glasses as a way to keep herself in check. You the expression "if looks can kill", Kara's can, so she wear the glasses to keep herself in check knowing that if the lenses start to melt it's time to calm down.
In production terms the glasses are a visual trigger to help the audience understand when she's about to do something special, other superpowered shows did similar things in the past: in the "Bionic Woman" reboot the main character pulled her hair behind her ears before activating her super-hearing, going back Lynda Carter had the habit of removing her glasses before doing the spin transformation, in spite of the fact that they transformed alongside the of her civilian clothes.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

More
29 Oct 2015 22:31 #44852 by castor
Didn't watch the leaked version, though i did read a lot of he spoilers- the show didn't seem very care about that so you know why should i ther. And on Monday night i had a film job. So This is new for me.

Benoist deserves an emmy here.

Supergirl is offten written as DCs anwser to Spiderman-ie the character who the world shits on, and maybe all powerful but that doesn't mean life is great. But thats not this-and that really works for it. The question is can a man fly-but can she enjoy it. and when she is really going full blast here in the action scenes and in the other interactions-when she gets to go loose its fun. it is a little dippy, it is a little silly-but its fun engaging and charsimatic part that i have seen an actress do in a long time.

and I think this for the most part really well cast. I had my doubts about Calista Flockart, but her stuff as the evil boss who isn't quite actually evil is a lot of fun-it is devil wears prada but i do like how she seems to actually care a little bit about her(the whole wow shes a young girl working in print media thing that got parodied, like a bit they aknweodlge how dumb it was). Jeremeny Jordon is a great sad sack guy, Merced Brooks has a charm as olsen, and her sister you can see is playing a role here but you can see a little why. David Harwood is the weak link, but i think cast wise were there.

The special effects are good-given if it really did have a 60 million dollar budget, not that great but good. Its about as good as you can see on TV. Flying is tricky(it didn't quite look right in some shots when she shifts altitude), but it worked. Wish the action had a little more time to breath, especially after Blindspot where that really crackled, but it hit the write notes....

BUTTTT.....

There are three elements to film writing one can kind say- Dialouge Characters, and plot. The characters as mentioned are mainly well done. The Dialouge i think for the most part good to great-and still love the " are you immune to bullets-Hope So!"

Where it kind of falls down is that the actual story-She decides to use her powers, and fights Vartox....is awfully quick. Its to quick to get to the giant monster in 48 minutes a story that felt you could have breathed a lot more, and Vartox was nothing-granted they didn't give him any time to be something , and i don't necessairly blaim the actor.

The opening exposition dump was terrible-and honestly i may have turned the show off in the first 2 minutes which is not what you want in a show. I realize it wants us to understand that stuff but you didn't need it all. I mentioned that i didn't care about getting spoiled-none of this stuff is things we couldn't have infered or introduced over the season to busy setting up the actual plot.

And where it gets-ehhh...To go to the article i pointed from Slate, it feels very procedural in a kind of power rangers way. Not to talk about spoilers or the next episode, but even without anything else i am not sure thats super intresting as a evil villians every weak plot. Especially at this power class your going to run out of stuff quickly that you can film on a realistic budget. Superhero shows tend to be very much-monsters of the week, and the monster of the week formula is always hit or miss. We didn't get a lot of the general, and the twist does do a good job of letting an actress have more fun..i just hope its not rita repulsa.

The Goverment stuff felt very much "This is what modern action shows have- a group of people who are lead by a shouting person who are in charge of the hero" and i can't think of an example of when its been done well. The best i can think is the UPN show 7 days which had Nic Seary as a fun jerk character. That at least had personality-this doesn't. Its just another vauge sorce of men with power.

The love Triangle thing it was setting up-similarlly had the problem that while i can see they where trying with Olsen, he felt generic dreamboat, compared to the shlubby romantic-and in that kind of space you so so want her to go with the shlub-though in fairness, if thats where the story goes that could be something. Her scenes with Winslow had a clunky line or two but at least feel like they have a very good dynamic. I think there fedding off each other dynamic in energy made the middle part of the show great.

And there is something here-and a lot is on Benoists effortless shoulders . I mentioned like 6 months ago comparing the choices of Man ofSteel vs Lois and Clark, with the kinda hope that it was more Lois And Clark..this feels 85% there. There may have been a draft of this script that maybe never even got to papper where this was better, and the 15 percent is frustrating.

But well thats something.

• castor
More
01 Nov 2015 12:41 #44913 by Monty
I've just caught the pilot back at my folk's house for the weekend. I thought it was great! I loved her response in her apartment to the newscaster asking if she was a "hero or a human wrecking ball"!

p.s. Here in the UK, VirginMedia Basic Package has Sky One, with on-demand and catch-up tv, so Melissa on tap 24/7....a new TV package will be being bought when I return home next week :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
02 Nov 2015 03:49 - 02 Nov 2015 03:50 #44926 by shadar
Found this image in my folders... dated 2007. The idea of carrying a plane is nothing new. Costume's a little different.

Also found this image... a glance out the window at 35,000 feet.

Wonder how many images this old Power Girl cover has spawned? The preview of episode 5 made me think of this.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 02 Nov 2015 03:50 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds