Amount

Internet reaction to the show

12 Nov 2015 17:21 #45127 by mo
Internet reaction to the show was created by mo
I've been having a look around at some comments online regarding the show and was surprised at how negative they are.

Having never really been that interested in a TV show in this way before I was wondering whether this is the norm and that the people who tend to voice opinion are those who wish to be snooty and negative.

I'm kinda hoping that's the case anyway!

If it's not I do worry for the future of this show as I'm not seeing much positivity outside of fan sites...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2015 18:58 - 12 Nov 2015 18:59 #45129 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Internet reaction to the show
Imo its the same with game review sites. Most of those tend to be negative reviews of a game. Why? People who are enjoying the game, aren't spending time posting on a forum, they are playing the game :)

However, having said that, to me, this show was never going to be a massive mainstream hit, even though the pilot had great numbers. That doesn't mean the show is bad. As I have said I think the show is great so far (though not without some flaws). And the opinion of some internet forum poster isn't going to change that. Most ppl in tv-land watch reality tv crap and game shows :/

Personally, I will be surprised (and very happy) if they renew this for a second season. But until then I'm gonna enjoy the episodes they are gonna show, and be thankful WCG, TKS and PSW are there to provide additional entertainment :)

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 18:59 by kikass2014. Reason: Typo

More
12 Nov 2015 19:34 #45130 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Internet reaction to the show
If you read comments on the general Internet and are expecting positive responses, then you are living on the wrong planet.

On this planet, comments are mostly owned by negative people who try to make themselves feel better by trying to make other people feel bad.

The good news is that specialty sites (like SWM) have a generally positive outlook and the membership is managed.

Sometimes I think the Net is this gigantic psychology experiment where the negativity of an entire population can be channeled safely into the ground through articles and their comments. In the bad old days, people would get fed up and grab pitchforks and guns and have themselves a bloody revolution. I think the Internet is modern society's escape valve to harmlessly bleed off that pressure. Typing a nasty comment is easy. Staging a revolution is really, REALLY hard.

And you have to get out of your chair.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
12 Nov 2015 20:57 - 12 Nov 2015 21:28 #45131 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Internet reaction to the show
ahh most of the stuff i see positive to it. tend to focus less on comics sites as movie groups, and people seem to like there. Even a group i know thats focus is bad movies(and has talked a lot about Supergirl: The film) generally likes the show. .

Say what you will its a very postive show, and i think a lot of people i have seen dig on that.

A friend of mine mentioned on facebook that he was on the fence about the CBS streaming stuff but wants to get it to show Supergirl to his daughter-and you know what thats something i can get behind.

Castor
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 21:28 by castor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo

More
13 Nov 2015 20:20 #45152 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Internet reaction to the show
I don't understand the internet haters at all. It's not just with this show, it seems to be with everything. And almost always before the content has even been released.

I get that everyone is entitled to their opinion and posting that opinion is everyone's prerogative. But posting it over and over again with the idea that you are somehow going to convince the rest of the world that you were right all along in your hate seems kind of...I don't know...small.

I imagine that some of them must be so miserable in their own lives that they have to go online and find something to tear down to make themselves feel better. Like what shadar said.

More
14 Nov 2015 05:14 #45156 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Internet reaction to the show
Yet one thing remains important -- this plague of negative commenters happens because of the unique and unprecedented freedom that the Internet gives us all.

In physical space, most people refrain from using the same degree of strong language and force when they talk to someone. Part of that comes from the face-to-face courtesy that we extend to other people, and another part is not wanting to get your nose broken. (Although I suppose the etiquette of courtesy comes from the same place.)

Plus there are limited number of people we meet in our daily lives with whom we have strong disagreements with. Or that we could violently argue with without consequence.

The Net allows us to interact with a vast number of people and to do it without risk. Most people who negatively comment don't use their real name. Anonymity allows people to be bold.

However, this same freedom makes SWM work. Anyone can write a story. Upload a cool picture. Bring new ideas or information into the group. And we also have our avatars and fanciful screen names, likely for no other reason than it channels a certain aspect of ourselves. All good stuff.

It's impossible to enjoy the good parts of freedom without allowing the bad. Something that obviously isn't just an Internet thing. It's something every modern country is continuously trying to figure out.

Anyway, this is how I rationalize it on my good days. Negative comments are just another frank expression of freedom working. (Not that it doesn't still piss me off.)

• shadar
More
14 Nov 2015 14:51 #45163 by paulwitz
Replied by paulwitz on topic Internet reaction to the show
Perfectly said, Shadar.

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds