Amount

Who watches this show?

19 Apr 2016 12:08 #47358 by Markiehoe
Who watches this show? was created by Markiehoe
Is there a demographic breakdown of who watches Supergirl?

I'd like to know how many teenage girls watch this show?
Do families watch?
Is the biggest demographic middleaged men?

There has to be a breakdown somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
20 Apr 2016 17:14 #47379 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Who watches this show?

Markiehoe wrote: Is there a demographic breakdown of who watches Supergirl?

I'd like to know how many teenage girls watch this show?
Do families watch?
Is the biggest demographic middleaged men?

There has to be a breakdown somewhere.


Haven't seen any data like that, but it's clearly written for early teenage girls (and mom's who want to share a show with their pre-teens), and who have only superficial exposure to comic books. Not a show for people with fully developed brains or any depth of exposure to comic books.

I watched initially because I like the Supergirl character (a lot), but I can no longer endure the idiocy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2016 19:46 #47380 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Who watches this show?
I could watch it if all she did was differential equations on a giant chalk board the whole show.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
20 Apr 2016 21:49 #47383 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Who watches this show?

Sarge395 wrote: I could watch it if all she did was differential equations on a giant chalk board the whole show.


I might actually enjoy that more, given I'm an engineer and all. <grin>

But I guess I'm not as unconditional a Supergirl fan as I thought.

In any case, I'll light a candle for Season 2 and give myself up to that hope.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2016 22:34 #47385 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Who watches this show?
I took 2 years of Diffy Q's myself. Never used again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
21 Apr 2016 01:29 #47389 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Who watches this show?

Sarge395 wrote: I could watch it if all she did was differential equations on a giant chalk board the whole show.


I love every second she is in costume on that show.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
21 Apr 2016 04:52 #47390 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Who watches this show?
I am with Sarge on this. My wife and I watch the show every week and love it.I too enjoy every second that Melissa is in costume. I didn't like the Supergirl can't fly in space plot line, but they did that to set up the rescue scene. Hopefully they will do better with continuity next season.

On the math issue multi variate calculus with linear algebra and differential equations helped me pass P Chem and gave me an understanding of how CT scans and MRI's work. I wouldn't mind watching SG solve math
Problems on the board either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2016 05:25 #47392 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Who watches this show?

ace191 wrote: I am with Sarge on this. My wife and I watch the show every week and love it.I too enjoy every second that Melissa is in costume. I didn't like the Supergirl can't fly in space plot line, but they did that to set up the rescue scene. Hopefully they will do better with continuity next season.

On the math issue multi variate calculus with linear algebra and differential equations helped me pass P Chem and gave me an understanding of how CT scans and MRI's work. I wouldn't mind watching SG solve math
Problems on the board either.


Hey, we might be inventing another sub-genre (or sub-sub-genre) -- watching SG solve math problems.

Maybe we need a theme for an upcoming writing contest that involves superwomen doing math. <grin>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2016 13:11 #47393 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Who watches this show?

shadar wrote:

ace191 wrote: I am with Sarge on this. My wife and I watch the show every week and love it.I too enjoy every second that Melissa is in costume. I didn't like the Supergirl can't fly in space plot line, but they did that to set up the rescue scene. Hopefully they will do better with continuity next season.

On the math issue multi variate calculus with linear algebra and differential equations helped me pass P Chem and gave me an understanding of how CT scans and MRI's work. I wouldn't mind watching SG solve math
Problems on the board either.


Hey, we might be inventing another sub-genre (or sub-sub-genre) -- watching SG solve math problems.

Maybe we need a theme for an upcoming writing contest that involves superwomen doing math. <grin>


There were already two instances of this: one was in JNW550's "Megan's Day Off" ; the second in my continuation to Yosh's "Serena" that, I admit, was almost taken verbatim from JNW's work.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2016 15:56 #47394 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Who watches this show?

Woodclaw wrote:

shadar wrote:

ace191 wrote: I am with Sarge on this. My wife and I watch the show every week and love it.I too enjoy every second that Melissa is in costume. I didn't like the Supergirl can't fly in space plot line, but they did that to set up the rescue scene. Hopefully they will do better with continuity next season.

On the math issue multi variate calculus with linear algebra and differential equations helped me pass P Chem and gave me an understanding of how CT scans and MRI's work. I wouldn't mind watching SG solve math
Problems on the board either.


Hey, we might be inventing another sub-genre (or sub-sub-genre) -- watching SG solve math problems.

Maybe we need a theme for an upcoming writing contest that involves superwomen doing math. <grin>


There were already two instances of this: one was in JNW550's "Megan's Day Off" ; the second in my continuation to Yosh's "Serena" that, I admit, was almost taken verbatim from JNW's work.


That's one nice thing about SWM... no matter what we come up with, there is probably already a story in the library that explores something similar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2016 04:44 - 10 May 2016 06:10 #47701 by magicalerotica
Replied by magicalerotica on topic Who watches this show?

Markiehoe wrote: Is there a demographic breakdown of who watches Supergirl?

I'd like to know how many teenage girls watch this show?
Do families watch?
Is the biggest demographic middleaged men?

There has to be a breakdown somewhere.


Clearly the show was intended to appease young girls/women. If it weren't, the makers wouldn't have feminist talking points every single show. Just saying. Maybe it's intended for middleaged men, but have feminist talking points to disguise the intentions from the investors? IMDB is showing the exact opposite though; middle-aged men hate the show the most, and I suspect the feminist talking points is the reason.

Don't get me wrong, I think almost everyone believes in equality of the sexes, including me. The problem with using feminist talking points in superhero shows, for men, is that it portrays the woman of their dreams, the perfect woman, as being weak by virtue of being female. Women may see Supergirl as the underdog and have sympathy for her, but for men it's too much of a juxtaposition. Men want to see her as being mighty and sexy, not frail and insecure, with everyone, unrealistically, doing their best to undermine her.

Demographics of who's voting what is shown on imdb:
www.imdb.com/title/tt4016454/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

The 1984 movie was perfect. People speak poorly of it, but they don't understand the genre.

Now if only they made Zod a woman...
Last edit: 10 May 2016 06:10 by magicalerotica.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24, shadar, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2016 10:45 #47706 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Who watches this show?
Wow!
Thanks for the info, I never even knew that feature exisited! :)
I'll have to break the numbers down but already I see a flaw.
These are the demo's of people that voted.
I have written a few reviews of shows and movies but I never knew they broke stats down this way.
This is not a true cross section of people that view.
The stats are probably in the ball park though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
11 May 2016 16:10 #47741 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Who watches this show?

magicalerotica wrote: Demographics of who's voting what is shown on imdb:
www.imdb.com/title/tt4016454/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt


Thanks for that link.

Speaking for only my family of course, I would say that one aspect of the poll is accurate. My 10 year old daughter certainly liked the show the most, which is the demographic that gave it the highest rating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 01:19 #47804 by Brad2
Replied by Brad2 on topic Who watches this show?
Actually, some of us young people grew bored with the show because it seems like the heroine is often a damsel in distress who either needs to be told what to do by Hank or Alex or has to be saved. She seems to be incompetent, without much sign of improvement. And of course the tendency to nerf her powers to put her in peril (see episodes 6 and 20, for example) gets old real fast.

That having been said, Supergirl has a great personality, MB is highly attractive, and the show has a variety of villains, and an interesting overall storyline (in season 1), and these are all selling points. The show has a lot of good ideas, but they need to put more effort into developing them.

And Supergirl needs to grow into a tough, intelligent, independent heroine who can save the day by herself or by working with others. This is absolutely essential if you want her to be viewed as a heroine in her own right. One strong concern of mine was that she worked with a team because she didn't know what she was doing, and couldn't succeed on her own. In other words, she chose to work in a team out of necessity, not out of her own free will. Not exactly what I'd call a good role model for young kids, who might not notice these points.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds