Amount

Chris Wood Mon-El?

26 Jul 2016 15:24 #49305 by andyf
Chris Wood Mon-El? was created by andyf
At SDCC 2016, it was confirmed by the shows cast that Chris Wood's character was the person in the pod. On Woods IMDB page, he's listed as Mon-EL for Supergirl season 2 episode 1.

With Martian Manhunter, Superman and now Mon-El, whos going to be as series regular, that's an awful of powerful, male superheroes for a show about female empowerment built around a powerful female, superhero.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Jul 2016 16:39 #49308 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Chris Wood Mon-El?
I have to agree with you here.

I must confess I stopped watching Supergirl after episode 8, I just did not like the way Supergirl was portrayed as incompetent and always seemed to need rescuing. I kind of understood where the show was coming from in that she was just starting out, but I just did not like to watch it. I think I hold a minority view in that I want to see a Supergirl who is Supermans equal. I was however delighted the show got renewed, and I will start to watch it again, as I still hope that they show some growth for Supergirl and she does more rescuing than being rescued.

The only two shows I have seen from the CW are Vampire Diaries and The Originals (yes I like vampires) however one thing these shows do not have are strong female roles, quite the opposite. The shows are full of testosterone fuelled alpha males, the women often there just as love interests and occasionally damsels to be rescued. What worries me about Supergirl are the 2 major announcements since it has moved are to introduce 2 alpha males. It does make me wonder if the CW bosses have ditched the whole female empowerment angle and will revert to type. I just hope Ali Adler is still attached to this project because I cannot believe she would be happy for Supergirl to take a back seat to all the Alphas now attached to the show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyf

More
26 Jul 2016 18:03 #49310 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Chris Wood Mon-El?
I've seen every episode and will watch season 2 and I love the show, but I am a little worried about where the show could be headed in season 2. Who's playing Farrow and Lena Luthor? Both are said to be series regulars and nobody at Supergirls SDCC panel said anything about them.

I Supergirl season 2 going to end up like Dark Angel season 2?

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Jul 2016 18:31 - 26 Jul 2016 18:33 #49311 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Chris Wood Mon-El?

dauntingmold wrote: I have to agree with you here.

I must confess I stopped watching Supergirl after episode 8, I just did not like the way Supergirl was portrayed as incompetent and always seemed to need rescuing. I kind of understood where the show was coming from in that she was just starting out, but I just did not like to watch it. I think I hold a minority view in that I want to see a Supergirl who is Supermans equal. I was however delighted the show got renewed, and I will start to watch it again, as I still hope that they show some growth for Supergirl and she does more rescuing than being rescued.

The only two shows I have seen from the CW are Vampire Diaries and The Originals (yes I like vampires) however one thing these shows do not have are strong female roles, quite the opposite. The shows are full of testosterone fuelled alpha males, the women often there just as love interests and occasionally damsels to be rescued. What worries me about Supergirl are the 2 major announcements since it has moved are to introduce 2 alpha males. It does make me wonder if the CW bosses have ditched the whole female empowerment angle and will revert to type. I just hope Ali Adler is still attached to this project because I cannot believe she would be happy for Supergirl to take a back seat to all the Alphas now attached to the show.

As I see it, in the case of CBS, their shows must reflect a wide swath of viewers. They are a major network with viewers of all ages and interests, with a premium on crime and legal procedurals.

Beyond that, the prevailing theme of female heroes at this point in western culture seems to be that they use different strengths than men. Which is a reflection of reality. Women are more collaborative and sensitive, more attuned emotionally and not prone to using physical power until all else fails and things have gotten hopelessly desperate.

Male heroes are generally portrayed as physical first, emotional second -- if at all.

Supergirl is always tricky in that regard because her power set is solely the "bash and smash" type. As we saw in Season 1, she has to go through a lot of challenges with lots of help from other people before she finally kicks ass. That's a cultural reflection of our time, if you will. Imagine trying to replace Vin Diesel in all his movie roles with a woman, but without a change in script or plot. That wouldn't work for most viewers.

CW is interesting in that it doesn't serve nearly as broad an audience, so it can specialize. But its speciality is strong male roles.

Will they change that with Supergirl and make her 1) a kickass "power first" character, with all the strong males supporting her? Or 2) will she be the one who bails the men out of serious jams at the last moment (a reversal of the Superman/Lois Lane story lines)? Or worse, will they 3) bail her out, as was often the case in Season 1?

1) is kind of a Powergirl role. Low probability in my opinion. PG has always been a male gender role in a female body.
2) is simply a gender reversal of many decades of Superman stories. That's plausible for CW.
3) is a spin on Season 1, which many of us found frustrating at times. This would be best for character continuity and most reflective of current culture.

Maybe there's a 4th way.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 18:33 by shadar.

• shadar
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds