Amount

First look at the new DEO HQ set

23 Aug 2016 11:51 - 23 Aug 2016 22:55 #49772 by five_red
First look at the new DEO HQ set was created by five_red

Look's like the DEO has been downsized. Oh, and they finally got someone in to fix the lights. :)

R5

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 23 Aug 2016 22:55 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, aguilauno, Markiehoe, pansardum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2016 21:34 #49791 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic First look at the new DEO HQ set
As far as the DEO set being too dark in Season 1, I disagree. I think it was quite realistic for a command center.

I spent a few years (during the height of the Cold War) working in a number of the most secure command posts in the US military, including the NORAD Combat Operations Center in the middle of a man-made cavern in the middle of Cheyenne Mountain. That was the ultimate "hit it with a nuke and it'll keep on ticking' command post. Or so the goal was. For a while anyway. The Soviets eventually put these god-awful big monster warheads on top of huge rockets that would defeat a few thousand feet of granite. Many hundreds of times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb. Monster nukes.

To my point, those places were all so dark that you had to let your eyes get used to the darkness after entering. I tripped a few times from not being able to see my feet. The walls were covered in display screens, along with many computer displays on desks. I suspect the main reason for the low light levels was the available brightness for extremely large displays in the 1970's. Like ten meters across.

Anyway, the Season 1 DEO had the same basic look about it. Dark room with lots of bright displays. A smaller version of what I was used to.

I suppose nowadays the command posts could be brighter given the advances in display tech, but there was something both sinister and powerful about sitting in relative darkness surrounded on all sides by huge displays showing the Earth as seen from space. The guys on the other end of our Comm links controlled the thousands upon thousands of missiles, aircraft and subs loaded with nukes that were ready to go all the time. End-of-the-world kind of stuff, so it made sense to me that it looked sinister. It fucking was.

So... the attached bright image for the new DEO doesn't look right to me. But maybe I'm just a dinosaur. The world is a much brighter place now than it was in the 70's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds