Amount

Season Two tonight!

10 Oct 2016 13:46 #50613 by Markiehoe
Season Two tonight! was created by Markiehoe
Tonight in the U.S. is the premiere of Supergirl season two!

I have avoided as many teasers and spoilers up to this point as possible.
All I know is that Supergirl and Superman team up.

I get to watch this episode fresh with no preconceived notions.
Woo Hoo!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Oct 2016 15:16 #50614 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Season Two tonight!
I took a page out of your book and refused to watch any of the preview trailers, though a few short bursts got through on network TV promos....

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the series....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
11 Oct 2016 12:56 #50636 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season Two tonight!
Well my plan worked beyond belief.

I enjoyed the entire episode and had a neat surprise at the end.
I had no idea "she" would be in the episode!

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Oct 2016 13:11 #50637 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season Two tonight!
Just saw the opening episode and enjoyed it a lot :)

It definatly felt like a "world-building" episode, introducing us to the new state of affairs, characters and dynamics, but I didn't mind at all.

Really liked the callbacks to the Donner Superman films (lines and events from that film), I thought that was really well done :)

I didn't really mind the guy as Superman to be honest. And while I'm in the camp of Superman should be more imposing physically, I'm ok with it. Its not a deal breaker for me. I'm of the same mind with Cavil. I think that is probably the main difference between these two and Chris Reeve. Reeve completely embodied the character, physically and spiritually. But again, not gonna dwell on that as this is Kara's show.

And I thought they did a pretty good job of making her the focus of the story and not letting her cousin outshine her.

All in all, a really good opening to the new season :) Well written and played (a lot of really nice character moments).

Look forward to seeing how this season plays out :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe

More
11 Oct 2016 13:34 - 11 Oct 2016 13:34 #50638 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Season Two tonight!
SEMI-SPOILERS BELOW, MARKIE! ;)

Agree 100%....I thought the episode was really well done and served to plant the seeds and set the pace for the "change" in Kara's life both professionally and emotionally. As most know, I was 100% against the appearance of Superman (it's HER show), but I liked Tyler Hochrein in the role and thought he played a great version of Clark/Superman combining Dean Cain's confidence and tenacity as a reporter with Christopher Reeve's almost over-the-top corniness as Superman. More importantly, the writers decided to make Supergirl the hero for the most part, not needing Superman to rescue her -- he was there merely to help her and lend a hand rather than save the day. It's almost as if the writers read the fans' (our) comments and went out of their way to reinforce that point (they even specifically SAID it in the episode). If I had to complain abut something, it was that the relationship between Kara and Clark seemed a little ....contrived. If we are to believe that they have very little to no interaction in the past judging from Season 1 references, they sure seemed like two peas in a pod right from the get go with absolutely no tension or awkwardness or even surprise ("oh, hi, cuz!"). Same goes for Alex who greeted Clark as if he was just over for Thanksgiving Dinner last month. Although, there are reports are that there will be tension between Alex and Superman this season which I think would be need to see. I just hope Superman is only in these first couple and then leaves her be for a while.

Regardless of the nitpicking, I thought it was a solid episode. Any any speculated "FX budget cuts" from moving to CW weren't readily evident (although the opening flight rescue sequence was a little low-budget IMO), as there was a slew of superness and CGI effects throughout.

My $.02
ElF

kikass2014 wrote: Just saw the opening episode and enjoyed it a lot :)

It definatly felt like a "world-building" episode, introducing us to the new state of affairs, characters and dynamics, but I didn't mind at all.

Really liked the callbacks to the Donner Superman films (lines and events from that film), I thought that was really well done :)

I didn't really mind the guy as Superman to be honest. And while I'm in the camp of Superman should be more imposing physically, I'm ok with it. Its not a deal breaker for me. I'm of the same mind with Cavil. I think that is probably the main difference between these two and Chris Reeve. Reeve completely embodied the character, physically and spiritually. But again, not gonna dwell on that as this is Kara's show.

And I thought they did a pretty good job of making her the focus of the story and not letting her cousin outshine her.

All in all, a really good opening to the new season :) Well written and played (a lot of really nice character moments).

Look forward to seeing how this season plays out :)

Peace.

/K

Last edit: 11 Oct 2016 13:34 by lfan.

More
11 Oct 2016 15:10 #50640 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Season Two tonight!
So, Lex Luthor was behind the shuttle sabotage? He was trying to kill his foster sister? I wonder if they are setting this up for him to appear in person on the show later.

More
12 Oct 2016 06:17 #50651 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season Two tonight!
I just watched this.

I'm going to just spoiler-away too! Warning!

For those like me and no cable TV, there is a CW app for Roku, Apple TV, XBox, Amazon Fire (etc), and that lets people who can stream watch these shows on their TV for free. You just have to sit though (ug) commercials. It's been a LONG time since I had to suffer through commercials.

I have to say I REALLY enjoyed this episode. A good job of setting up a bunch of interesting things for the season, without making the episode feel jumbled. A lot of action, but at the same time, a lot of character interaction, and character development.

I loved the Kara/Clark interplay (in and out of costume). I was against him being in the show for fear he'd overshadow things, but they did a great job of handling this.

I really did like his comment that he loves hearing about Krypton from her personally, and what his parents are like. It's a very good character moment.

I loved the big brother feel of the Clark/Kara moments, even though it does make the first season seem a bit odd with how close they seem to be now.

Also the female reaction to Clark was funny.

I also love that they ditched Kara/Jimmy. It annoyed me first season, because it was on/off/on/off/on, and I always felt like it was in the way of the story. I'm here to watch Supergirl and her friends. I don't mind if she has a relationship, but I don't want it to overpower the show. (I liked the episode with Cat's oldest child, the one Kara's age.)

I like that there is ambiguity around Lena Luthor.

Melissa Benoist continues to be utterly adorable in this role, she sells Supergirl when she needs to, is dorky when she needs to be.

I also have to give props to Calista Flockheart, she rocks as Cat Grant. I'll miss not having her in every episode, but perhaps by only having her in a few episodes we can concentrate her effect, and use her to her best possible extent when she shows up. It might actually make things better, rather than endless speculation of "Does Cat Grant know, how could she not?" every week -- when we don't SEE her every week. (My vote: she knows.)

Also, how many people think Cat Grant had a few envelopes under the table, each with a different occupation on it? And she made them the day before? ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
12 Oct 2016 10:26 #50654 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Season Two tonight!
Meanwhile, more grousing about the very name of the series:

www.ew.com/article/2016/10/11/supergirl-...ley-cyrus-show-title

--Brantley

More
12 Oct 2016 10:35 #50655 by Markiehoe
I don't give a Rat's Ass about anything that woman says.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AuGoose

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Oct 2016 15:35 #50661 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season Two tonight!
There were some good aspects of the first episode of Season 2, and I concur with some of what others have said below, but the writing is still aimed at third graders. I suppose in superhero stories the writers can dumb down the writing and get away with things they couldn't on other shows.

Case in point: We have another airplane rescue to open the season, but instead of Alex onboard it's Lena Luthor who is the focus. Fine. If it worked once, do it again. But the premise is 1960's comicbookish. A commercial plane on its first launch with 200 passengers. Right. A bomb under seat 24B where Lena was supposed to sit, and it blew up one of the huge engines. OK. But nobody else got hurt (apparently). Not seat 24A or 24C, but the friggin engine was blown up. When they try to slow the plane by pushing on the front, Kara's cape and hair are flying in the wrong direction. Duh. And with a space plane that was supposedly still traveling forward at high speed, likely supersonic, Superman goes behind it and blows out the fire in the engine.

Don't even get me started on the single exposed girder in the basement holding up a skyscraper.

Or the DEO skyscraper a block from Alex's apartment that she never went to in Season 1.

All in all, the world-building and action was designed for a not very smart third-grader.

I know, it's a comic-bookish superhero story so physics and plausibility and every other thing about physical settings don't matter. Except comic books have been written more realistically than this for the last few decades. You couldn't get away with this on any other show (and all shows exaggerated and simplify to some degree).

I know, just shut my brain off and enjoy it.

It was a nice throwback to the Christopher Reeves era. Superman was the only thing that seemed to work for me on this episode. It doesn't help that Melissa keeps gaining weight and now looks positively chunky. Not to mention even less blonde. But it's her personality and not her body that works in the role, so OK.

Bottom line for me is that the poor writing and implausible situations (even for the comics) from Season 1 are still with us, but the characters are relatively unchanged. We start with Kara dumping on Jimmy once again with "let's just be friends" after she was so hyped up minutes before to become something more. I know they were trying for the "conflicted superhero" thing, but the writing is so very thin. Melissa can handle much more nuanced roles, but the writers give her no chance.

I'll find a way to shut down my brain before I watch the next episode. I'll bring out my inner third-grader. But I will watch.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
12 Oct 2016 15:39 - 12 Oct 2016 15:40 #50662 by kikass2014
@ Markie

Totally agree. She is a fucking moron.

Someone should explain to this talentless bimbo the character, called SUPERGIRL, has been around since, oh I don't know, 1959!!!!! And her first self-titled comic came out in 1972.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 12 Oct 2016 15:40 by kikass2014.

More
12 Oct 2016 16:47 #50666 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season Two tonight!

shadar wrote: ....

Don't even get me started on the single exposed girder in the basement holding up a skyscraper.

Or the DEO skyscraper a block from Alex's apartment that she never went to in Season 1.

All in all, the world-building and action was designed for a not very smart third-grader.

I'll find a way to shut down my brain before I watch the next episode. I'll bring out my inner third-grader. But I will watch.

I have to say, I really did try to ignore the "stop the space plane" physics they were doing. And when Supergirl did the girder thing I just ... I didn't want to laugh. And then I tried to forget it. I liked the character interplay during that scene, so I tried to forget the idiocy.

I thought she was going to melt all those girders with heat vision, mold the molten steel into place, and then use freeze breath to solidify it, making a new steel column. (That's also a pretty bad building design that that little damage would destroy most of the building.)

(Also what was in that drone's missile that knocked Supergirl down, stunned for a prolonged period? She should be tougher than that. It wasn't that big.)

*sigh*

I think the show needs a science consultant....someone knowledgeable in the real world so they can go "maybe if we tweaked this scene ..." just to make things a bit less stupid.

But Flash and Arrow have the same problem ...

More
12 Oct 2016 18:28 #50668 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Season Two tonight!
one of the things i bitched a lot about on the previous scene was petty-but true. It wasn't a good looking show.
It felt like it was trying to ape a bit of the Aschetic of Flash, but someone told them "Not to much". The cinemtography was okay, but there, fight and special effects...ehhh.

This one simply looked much much better.

It looked like a movie with its muted difused pallete, it feels a lot like a modern take on the Donner movies-like not so much a comicbook panel from the flash or a diffrent kind of comic like Arrow but like kinda of what we imagine a superman movie to look like-and that honestly really worked in all the stuff in costume, and well enough in the stuff out of it.

Superman as the main costume stuff looked okay. Yeah i think a couple of pictures on the internet point out it looks a little silly from a couple of angles but they didn't show those. Yeah hes not the bulkiest actor but it worked. In a show that last season felt like a lot of the characters other then supergirl they went to a costume shop and put some halloween costumes it honsetly looked good

And while i agree with Fats that the CGI of the space stuff maybe a little weak, it fit that. and there was some nice touches with the special effect. Theres a bit where Superman and Supergirl are flying and she subtly moves backwards a couple of feet that had the air of just not caring about physics which i thought was very dramatic. The big Explosions arenever going to look good but the little stuff like that is what makes a show and they did that well. I thought the city look good.

And well the stuff it did well before it does great. Benoist maybe one of the best actresses on TV. They don't give awards for actors in tights, but there is something to her performance the kinda of wonder and charm of it all that really really works. At the beggining of season one she was ocasionally a little weak when she had to play Serious Supergirl, buts shes gotten a lot better at that- and but her kinda of dorky suprised and overjoyed at her own powers, and with a heart on her sleaves of her emotions is phenominal.

And Superman was fine.One of the problems of the last season was They kinda built him as a godlike mythical person who comes and saves everyone....and we had Clark who sometimes puts on a costume, but is still clark. Its a little suprising but shouldn't have been as thats frequently how he is protrayed in comics and in movies. I was a little suprised how much we saw of Kent. And it worked. He was a well played presence a fine actor(just learned he was the kid in the movie Road to Pardition: Kinda wonder if Tom Hanks watched this episode). They used him as a good supporting character and if we see him a couple more times thats fine.

The other actors continue to be pretty good. The Jimmy Kara stuff i agree never worked as well as they seemed to think it did, and will see if that ever comes back. Cat Was fun and it is sad there largely going to loose her, but ehh. The Story they setup was a story they setup but it was fine.

Its going on track. I got into a conversation over the summer with someone who worked on the show, and they described it that CBS was very micromanaging and didn't always know what it wanted. The CW seems to have a vision and letting them create it, and as they move to a new city a new network and some new cast...the first episode went great
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno

More
12 Oct 2016 20:49 #50672 by andyf
You know someone who worked on the show while it filmed in LA? Did he know why Supergirl didn't get the film tax credit from Sacramento?
Are a lot of people in the LA film community angry about Supergirl moving production of out LA?

More
12 Oct 2016 22:38 #50675 by Markiehoe
I love comic book physics and I was happy with the throwback to the Silver Age superspeed construction scene.

Frankly Flash and Supergirl are at the top of my list because they stay true to their comic book roots.

I get enough "gritty realism" in real life.

BTW Antman is my favorite MCU movie because of the comic book physics employed throughout the movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Oct 2016 23:18 #50679 by kikass2014

I love comic book physics and I was happy with the throwback to the Silver Age superspeed construction scene.

Frankly Flash and Supergirl are at the top of my list because they stay true to their comic book roots.

I get enough "gritty realism" in real life.

BTW Antman is my favorite MCU movie because of the comic book physics employed throughout the movie.

Maybe I would have put it in exactly those words, but near enough :)

Totally understand some may want a "little" more realism in their portrayal, though certainly not the "gritty realism" in say the DCEU.

Personally, I'm fine with the goofiness of it (lol @ Kara "saving" the building with that spot fix :P). Its not a deal breaker in my eyes.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe

More
13 Oct 2016 00:08 #50680 by andyf
It's nice that they are finally addressing an issue from season 1 that was ignored. That issue was Kara working with a secret, government agency with a frightening amount of kryptonite powered weapons.

More
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds