Amount

Get Kara in front of this!

26 Mar 2017 10:13 - 26 Mar 2017 10:24 #53347 by Monty
Get Kara in front of this! was created by Monty
"I saa-aid, turn the damn thing on me!"

Floating in front of this, it would enhance her powers to a super astronomical level (beyond the astronomical level she is already at) and just maybe make her go bad ass as well!

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/artif...re-dlr-a7648356.html
Last edit: 26 Mar 2017 10:24 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Monty
  • Monty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2017 10:58 #53349 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Get Kara in front of this!
Haha :P

Peace.

/K

More
26 Mar 2017 13:32 - 26 Mar 2017 15:50 #53350 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Get Kara in frront of this!
I hope Kevin Smith reads these threads - it might give him some ideas for the Maiden of Might!
Last edit: 26 Mar 2017 15:50 by Monty.

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2017 13:50 #53351 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Get Kara in front of this!
It's entirely possible that it would kill her, like a massive abouse of steroids.

More
26 Mar 2017 14:01 #53352 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Get Kara in front of this!
Kara is already invulnerable under a yellow sun. Throw in ×10,000 and Melissa will soak it in! (possibly needing a recharge from time to time.)

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2017 16:22 #53354 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Get Kara in front of this!
So, the physicist h in me always snickers at the notion of 'solar powered' Kyrptonians, since the energy input of sunlight can be measured, and even at 100% efficiency, when you're constrained to the silhouette of a human-sized body, the amount you gather is pretty much trivial.

However, space is also filled with particle and rays of absolutely titanic energy levels - so much so they pass completely through the Earth without even interacting with it in most cases - essentially an X-ray so high stung in can zip through 8,000 miles of rock without pausing to check the local weather before blasting back out into space. A body 100% opaque to those would capture HUGE amounts of energy with every single occasional strike. You might only get pinged by a neutrino 1-3 times a day, but each one could put massive stores of energy in your tank :).

I've considered trying to write about a character with this property a few times, describing it as once in a while they feel like they're a bell that's just been rung (pleasurable? you bet!) and then suddenly they're supercharged. Then they slowly burn off that power doing things, or build up a reserve as they get rung again and again faster than they're spending out that energy. Narratively, the fun thing is you can't possibly see the charge ups coming, and the person might have no idea what's triggering their little ...surges. And if some mad scientist jackass tries to burn down the new uber with a x-ray laser, cosmic ray barrage, or neutrino stream, instead of frying their nemesis they've just handed them a galaxy-class orgasm and pumped them up to a whole new power level. Ooops.

More
26 Mar 2017 19:06 #53355 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Get Kara in front of this!

AuGoose wrote: So, the physicist h in me always snickers at the notion of 'solar powered' Kyrptonians, since the energy input of sunlight can be measured, and even at 100% efficiency, when you're constrained to the silhouette of a human-sized body, the amount you gather is pretty much trivial.

However, space is also filled with particle and rays of absolutely titanic energy levels - so much so they pass completely through the Earth without even interacting with it in most cases - essentially an X-ray so high stung in can zip through 8,000 miles of rock without pausing to check the local weather before blasting back out into space. A body 100% opaque to those would capture HUGE amounts of energy with every single occasional strike. You might only get pinged by a neutrino 1-3 times a day, but each one could put massive stores of energy in your tank :).

I've considered trying to write about a character with this property a few times, describing it as once in a while they feel like they're a bell that's just been rung (pleasurable? you bet!) and then suddenly they're supercharged. Then they slowly burn off that power doing things, or build up a reserve as they get rung again and again faster than they're spending out that energy. Narratively, the fun thing is you can't possibly see the charge ups coming, and the person might have no idea what's triggering their little ...surges. And if some mad scientist jackass tries to burn down the new uber with a x-ray laser, cosmic ray barrage, or neutrino stream, instead of frying their nemesis they've just handed them a galaxy-class orgasm and pumped them up to a whole new power level. Ooops.

You've more or less described one of the core concepts of the AU. They absorb all kinds of energy, even when its not detectable by most devices. Kind of hard to measure neutrinos, as one example.

Of course, I had to make it visible, what with their breasts being repurposed repositories for that energy. Which means big boobs equals "full of power to fuel super muscles and everything else". No apology for being a guy who likes his superheroines to be well endowed when they are most powerful.

But there are many others ways to portray all this. I strongly agree that the usual "sunshine equals Kryptonian power" is brain dead unless it's merely a catalyst for releasing energy stored from other processes.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Mar 2017 22:16 #53365 by spacemonkey
Replied by spacemonkey on topic Get Kara in front of this!
Wasn't something like this the driving force behind the "All Star Superman" series? I remember it being along the lines of Superman saving astronauts nearby the sun, and receiving such an overdose of solar radiation it kills him slowly; the rest of the series is him dealing with his own mortality. Not sure I'd like to see Kara end up the same way...

More
27 Mar 2017 22:45 #53366 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Get Kara in front of this!

spacemonkey wrote: Wasn't something like this the driving force behind the "All Star Superman" series? I remember it being along the lines of Superman saving astronauts nearby the sun, and receiving such an overdose of solar radiation it kills him slowly; the rest of the series is him dealing with his own mortality. Not sure I'd like to see Kara end up the same way...

Yes that was exactly the case.

More
15 Apr 2017 17:38 #53645 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Get Kara in front of this!
The solar concentrator farms in the Mojave Desert would be an ideal spot for a quick supercharge given they are famous for turning birds into "streamers"

Federal biologists say about 6,000 birds die from collisions or immolation annually while chasing flying insects around the facility’s three 40-story towers, which catch sunlight from five square miles of garage-door-size mirrors to drive the plant’s power-producing turbines

More
15 Apr 2017 17:44 #53646 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic Get Kara in front of this!
So basically, around any major solar farm you're going to have Kryptonians buzzing around them like moths around a light bulb, enjoying a warm solar bath and recharging their powers.

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds