Amount

Season 3 x 02 Triggers

17 Oct 2017 05:37 - 17 Oct 2017 05:37 #56609 by lfan
Season 3 x 02 Triggers was created by lfan
Thought this was a great episode! The villain of Psi was a formidable one and the actress played it fantastically. Couple of plot holes here and there but nothing that turned it into a bad episode. The evolution of Reign is being pretty well written as they stitch in Sam's relationship with Ruby and her daughter WANTING her to have superpowers. It's definitely a slow burn and a good job by the writers by this scene was absolute torture for some of us to watch:

ElF
Last edit: 17 Oct 2017 05:37 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Markiehoe, theomach, TwiceOnThursdays, Monty, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Oct 2017 13:34 #56614 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
A really good episode!
Psi was a great villain with no real origin and I was fine with that.
Reign is coming along nicely and I am ashamed to admit i did not see the twist at the end that ties everything together.
Should have known better.

lfan's spoiler was a really cool scene which should please some fans of this site. :)

Next week....Get your ass to Mars

More
17 Oct 2017 14:04 #56616 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
Totally agree. The new creative team so far are 2-for-2 in my books.

The writing was great, nothing felt really forced and the episode was allowed to unfold organically. I really like the balance they seem to have struck between witty bonding moments, and more emotional charged elements. The handling of Reign is brilliant, like a puzzle the pieces slowly falling together and the picture becoming clearer.

I too didn't see the connection between her and Lena, and that was awesome. A logical progression that was not obvious or shoe-horned in. Brilliant.

I also liked the slower pace of the episode, focusing on character moments instead of rushing to action scenes. Which to be fair, were few but really well played out imo. Some great shots and scenes in this episode. The pov scene of Kara as she escapes Krypton was genius. The juxtaposition of that with Mon-El near the end, brilliant. All tying into the narrative of the episode and show in a natural flow. Kudos to them for that.

The choice of villain was also inspired. If you are gonna give Kara an obstacle, it needs to be believable. The choice to target her weakness (mental and magical attacks) was really well thought out. And they played out great, with all the cast giving really good performances. None of them felt like they were just spouting lines, even if it was exposition.

I could go on, but I genuinely feel this was probably one of the best episodes of the show ever.

So again, kudos to the creatives. They have put the ship on an exciting course imo.

Look forward to seeing where it goes.

Peace.

/K

P.S.

Next week....Get your ass to Mars

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA touché :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Monty

More
17 Oct 2017 14:33 #56617 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
Hyperbole aside, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to be all "rah, rah" about it. Glad someone else thought so.

Hopefully ratings improved this week from the abysmal debut ratings last week. So far, like Kikass said, the writers are 2 for 2 and deserve another chance from some people. I saw a message from someone that works on the set (carpenter) that the exec producers met with the cast/crew and told them the network execs were NOT happy with the week one ratings and things need to improve or the show is in jeopardy. Soooooooo.....if you are not watching live, please make the effort to watch streaming or some other way to let them know we appreciate the improvement.

ElF

kikass2014 wrote: ....I could go on, but I genuinely feel this was probably one of the best episodes of the show ever.

So again, kudos to the creatives. They have put the ship on an exciting course imo.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, Monty

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Oct 2017 14:45 #56618 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers

lfan wrote: Hyperbole aside, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to be all "rah, rah" about it. Glad someone else thought so.

Hopefully ratings improved this week from the abysmal debut ratings last week. So far, like Kikass said, the writers are 2 for 2 and deserve another chance from some people. I saw a message from someone that works on the set (carpenter) that the exec producers met with the cast/crew and told them the network execs were NOT happy with the week one ratings and things need to improve or the show is in jeopardy. Soooooooo.....if you are not watching live, please make the effort to watch streaming or some other way to let them know we appreciate the improvement.

ElF
Where did you see that message? What website? Do you reaaly think the show is in trouble?

kikass2014 wrote: ....I could go on, but I genuinely feel this was probably one of the best episodes of the show ever.

More
17 Oct 2017 16:37 #56619 by lfan
I saw it in some group on FB, some guy claimed he was a member of the cast and commented about it. I cannot find it again, but I definitely read it!

I was skeptical, so I clicked on his profile and it looks like he does indeed work on the sets -- he had a bunch of BTS pics -- so he seemed legit.

As for whether it was true or not, I dunno.....I'd have a hard time thinking they would cancel it unless it REALLY tanked. I thought it did better than any of the superhero shows on CW, ratings wise except for the Flash and Arrow now is in its 6th(?) season? The one X-factor is the production cost, as I would venture to say SG is more expensive to produce than Arrow.

That said, one would think the long-term strategy would get it thru 5 seasons for syndication (or whatever that magic number of episodes is) so I would like its on a long leash

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Oct 2017 16:51 #56621 by lfan
FWIW, I found this:

www.spoilertv.com/2017/09/spoilertv-canc...predictor-table.html

Interestingly, Supergirl scored higher than Fox's The Gifted. I think The Gifted is prob the best superhero series right now (though only 2 episodes in)

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Oct 2017 17:21 #56622 by kikass2014
Supergirl CW 2.05
The Gifted FOX 1.94

Are you sure it scored better? I read the chart as being the lower the number the better. But I live in the UK so don't really have a firm understanding of how the US rates its programs :(

With regards to the possibility of cancellation, I would hazard a guess and say that SG will probably stick around (especially if the quality continues to improve like it has). DC/WB has a brand to maintain in the public eye, and the shows, though not connected, benefit the films in that regard. (Now if only they would start making better films....Oo)

I remember hearing Arrow went through a really bad patch (I don't watch it so cant really comment) and now that up to season 6. I'm with you Lfan, I think SG would really need to nosedive and crash for them to cancel.

Peace.

/K

More
17 Oct 2017 17:41 #56623 by andyf
Another great episode. The FP view from the pod was really an unexpected great. Plus, Kara's panic attack in the elevator. Just when you think its another costume change, she completely looses it.

The only thing I haven't liked about the last two EPs is the lack of true fight scenes.

Maybe the real reason why there's been a big increase in the quality of the writing is fact that Ali Adler is gone from the show.

More
18 Oct 2017 05:10 #56632 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers

andyf wrote: Another great episode. The FP view from the pod was really an unexpected great. Plus, Kara's panic attack in the elevator. Just when you think its another costume change, she completely looses it.

The only thing I haven't liked about the last two EPs is the lack of true fight scenes.

Maybe the real reason why there's been a big increase in the quality of the writing is fact that Ali Adler is gone from the show.

That's what I was thinking. Not a fan of Ali.

As far as ratings go, it's probably karma that just when we think its getting good, the execs (and the ratings) are suddenly down on it. Shouldn't be a surprise, I guess. We don't see the show like the rest of their audience sees it.

The first two episodes of Season 3 are classically good comic-book themes and treatments. Really good comics are literature because they reflect life and its struggles, and how that intersects a superhero's life. Strength of will overcoming all.

Unfortunately, brightly colored sugar water that demands nothing of the viewer tends to sell to a large audience.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach, Monty, kikass2014

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
18 Oct 2017 10:58 #56635 by kikass2014

The first two episodes of Season 3 are classically good comic-book themes and treatments. Really good comics are literature because they reflect life and its struggles, and how that intersects a superhero's life. Strength of will overcoming all.

Very well put Shadar, and totally agree.

Peace.

/K

More
18 Oct 2017 22:09 #56641 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
Like most I liked this episode a great deal.

The elevator panic attack - not induced by Psi struck me as a nice writing touch.

I genuinely enjoy Ruby and Samantha.

I enjoyed all three Psi vs Supergirl rounds. Maybe we will see her back like we saw Livewire come back for another episode in season two.

Is it just me or is Kara/SG looking a lot blonder this season when she has the “comb over” look.

More
18 Oct 2017 22:53 #56642 by shadar

Random321 wrote:
Is it just me or is Kara/SG looking a lot blonder this season when she has the “comb over” look.

I thought the same thing. Still haven't forgiven them for not making her an ultra blonde like the character is supposed to be. But I'll always take progress.

Warning: Spoiler!

• shadar
More
19 Oct 2017 21:13 #56657 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
Blue-er eyes for Melissa stood out for me for Kara in ep1. Still waiting for ep2, but will keep an eye on things (sorry). Perhaps touching-up from make-up to enhance her look?

More
19 Oct 2017 21:20 #56658 by shadar

Monty wrote: Blue-er eyes for Melissa stood out for me for Kara in ep1. Still waiting for ep2, but will keep an eye on things (sorry). Perhaps touching-up from make-up to enhance her look?

Anything to make her more classically SG is welcomed by me, although I'll enjoy any representation on screen to some degree.

This is closer to how I see SG:

Shadar

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shadar
More
19 Oct 2017 21:25 #56659 by shadar
Of course, if I got the Kara/Melissa/SG I REALLY want, she'd look and behave like this.

Obviously, the "blast the costume off" and the "wreck the subway and bend the tracks" and dealing with heavy caliber bullets (look like anti-tank rounds) are beyond the scope of broadcast TV.

But I can dream, and my dreams look like this.

Shadar

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, algae2k, aguilauno, Markiehoe, TwiceOnThursdays, LustMonster

• shadar
More
19 Oct 2017 22:40 #56660 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
No matter how hard they try hey can't take out dreams away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno

More
20 Oct 2017 05:21 #56663 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
I'm a fan of the current writing....but.....Anyone going to explain why there's a hole in the elevator that lined perfectly with the ceiling...30 floors up?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
20 Oct 2017 06:33 #56664 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers
The new team is off to a great start! Melisa is just terrific playing SG and I love her new blonder hair and fuller red lips. As far as the cancellation risk goes SG is well in the safe zone. I followed thatsite all last year and it was pretty darn accurate.
Do you think there will be hope this year for our favorite tech guy? I am still pulling for him.

More
20 Oct 2017 14:14 #56668 by andyf
She,s referring to all the anger over Floriana Lima leaving the show.

More
20 Oct 2017 17:13 #56671 by kikass2014
^Yeah I'm guessing it has something to do with that. Either that or, "PLOT TWIST" (to quote a popular card game), Chyler gets killed on the wedding day (seeing as the producers have stated Sawyer won't be killed off) :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :P

Peace.

/K

More
22 Oct 2017 18:54 #56699 by andyf
I also liked the lifting the bed scene. Causal displays of superstrength while Kara's not wearing her costume are always fun to watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
24 Oct 2017 00:12 - 24 Oct 2017 03:32 #56706 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Season 3 x 02 Triggers

d_k_c wrote: I'm a fan of the current writing....but.....Anyone going to explain why there's a hole in the elevator that lined perfectly with the ceiling...30 floors up?

Yup, I read the above last week and just watched it here. I think Lena is onto Kara's guise, even during ep1, but they'll have Lena play her cards closer to her chest more than Cat ever did.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 03:32 by Monty.

More
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds