Amount

Season 3 x 04 The Faithful

31 Oct 2017 04:02 - 31 Oct 2017 04:05 #56812 by theomach
Season 3 x 04 The Faithful was created by theomach
I thought this was a good episode. The idea of Supergirl being a "goddess" touches on something that's been a point of contention for years concerning the Superman mythos. When Superman first appeared there were a lot of people who considered him a type of antichrist. Their reason being that here is this guy from the stars with all these amazing powers and abilities, and he is going to save mankind. I don't believe this myself, to me Superman is just a comic book character. There are people still around who believe this though. I think it's an interesting subject for discussion.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 04:05 by theomach.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• theomach
  • theomach's Avatar Topic Author
More
31 Oct 2017 07:52 #56814 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 3 x 04 The Faithful

theomach wrote: I thought this was a good episode. The idea of Supergirl being a "goddess" touches on something that's been a point of contention for years concerning the Superman mythos. When Superman first appeared there were a lot of people who considered him a type of antichrist. Their reason being that here is this guy from the stars with all these amazing powers and abilities, and he is going to save mankind. I don't believe this myself, to me Superman is just a comic book character. There are people still around who believe this though. I think it's an interesting subject for discussion.

Funny that I just finished commenting on a related subject on the thread about the BBC article on women getting strong than men.

To summarize here, if a superman or superwoman with Kryptonian-grade powers arrived on Earth, it would trigger a massive theological/mythological meltdown. And that's not an area that celebrates rational thought. Extreme reactions would be the norm, including the worst forms of xenophobia. The aliens also come with the "we're not alone (or the most powerful) people in the universe" freak outs.

I believe most stories underplay this extreme change in worldview... or ignore it. How long do you think it would take for the first Church of Krypton to appear so as to worship them?

Regardless, there would be those who can work alongside these superhumans, to be valuable for their skills, who would see them as improved humans (but still humans) and not gods, and those are the kind of folks who are interesting to write about.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
31 Oct 2017 11:12 #56817 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 04 The Faithful
They did a horrible job touching on this theme in the Batman vs Superman movie.
Batman becomes totally psychotic in his desire to murder Superman in order to "Save the world." from an alien "God"
Never occurred to him to actually talk to Superman and see what he is all about.

This episode was very well done.
The themes of God, Religion and Faith were handled thoughtfully and with respect.

Alex is having her crisis right now.
In my experiences communication and honesty in a relationship is top of the list.
She has a big decision to make.
They danced around it but I believe Alex doesn't just want to be a Mom she actually wants to bear and deliver her own baby.
It's only human for a woman to want to do that.

More
31 Oct 2017 11:55 #56818 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 3 x 04 The Faithful

They did a horrible job touching on this theme in the Batman vs Superman movie.

This was my thought exactly when watching this episode. Its what BvS wanted to be, but so ballsed it up its unbelievable (no pun intended).

The home runs keep coming from Team Supergirl.

I, too, found this episode really well written with regards to faith, religion and God (things I personally hold very dear). And they did a great job in treating the subject with respect while posing pretty deep questions. How Kara deals with it, and also how the antagonist responds, were all played out really well tbf. The episode too wasn't overly preachy, which is a pitfall one can fall into when dealing with this type of subject matter imo.

I also really admired the narrative structure they chose, of moving back and forwards in the timeline. Working this back to the pilot worked in keeping everything together. I also liked the "Ran-esque" flashback and seeing the last few minutes from an alternate angle. Really set up the coming story.

So far I am really, really liking this season - could be the best yet (certainly is so far imo).

There is a nice pace to the developing narrative, good development of the characters (Alex in particular) and nice world building (in terms of last weeks martian mythology, and this weeks kryptonian).

Keep up the good work Team Supergirl :) You are doing stellar work so far.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
01 Nov 2017 15:53 #56838 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Season 3 x 04 The Faithful
You do not need big budget special effects when the writing and acting is as good as it has been this season. Team SG is 4/4 this season in my book. Melisa looks even cuter and her acting has been superb along with the rest of the cast. I am really impressed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
01 Nov 2017 17:21 #56839 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Season 3 x 04 The Faithful
Another well written episode. Light on action,

More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds