Amount:

Supergirl S3EP05

09 Nov 2017 23:39 - 09 Nov 2017 23:41 #56967 by kikass2014
kikass2014 created the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
In light of the recent technical glitch with this topic, I thought I would reignite the discussion for this weeks episode.

I re-watched today to refresh my memory (I'm getting old lol) and my original assessment pretty much still stands. It was Kevin Smith's episode for the season (I can't remember if he is doing another one, or if he is just doing one Supergirl one Flash) and, while not as good imo as the first four episodes, was a solid one to be fair.

This week, it was the turn of Lena to get some time in the light, with the narrative focusing around her. Kara, Lena and Sam (much like The Flash's "girl power" episode this week) took center stage, and it was fine. I love Katie Mcgrath, so the more I see of her the better lol.

The episode was light on action, though the ending scene involving a plane (if contrived a little) was pretty well done. Melissa was great as always, and Lena got some growth as a character (especially between her and James). We also got another step in Reign's evolution, and I can't wait. Odette is really lovely, both in looks and poise so can't wait to her on screen in costume :) I love the way they are pacing this so much, with this week being a big bonding session between her, Lena and Kara. And the bullet she found right at the end. Brilliant.

We also got a resolution to the Sanvers romance. Finally. And even though it ended on a pretty lame excuse (seriously, if this is the love of your life, you REALLY wouldn't reconsider your position on kids Maggie???), I'm glad its over tbh. In fact, the way it ended pretty much showed to me it had no where really to go. I do hope Chyler gets back to working closely with Jo'nn. I loved their chemistry, especially first season, so hoping we can more of that now.

The major complaint I would have is the new "bad" Morgan Edge. They really need to flesh out his character if he is to be interesting this season. He is a little tooooo 1-dimensional.

So, overall, not a bad week for Team Supergirl. The writing was really strong, and while not as good as the opening episodes of the season, it certainly was no miss. Better then most of season 1 and 2 combined tbh.

Looking forward to next week :)

Peace.

/K
Last Edit: 09 Nov 2017 23:41 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Expert
  • SWM - Expert
More
10 Nov 2017 00:01 #56968 by ace191
ace191 replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
I thought the writing was very good and it is continuing to drive the plot forward.
I prefer good writing and plot twists to mindless special effects. My guess is that they will have episodes like this where they substitute good writing to save
The big Bucks for spectacular SE when it will mean the most. They are batting
5/5 this season in my book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2017 01:24 - 10 Nov 2017 01:28 #56970 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
Maggie's refusal to even consider kids (strangely, I don't remember why she's so dead-set against it) and Alex's absolute insistence on having them (which was explained well) was pretty extreme. It seemed contrived and way too rigid. A deliberately bittersweet ending that made the point that it wasn't within their power to change things. (Except that it was. People compromise all the time.)

But given that Floriana Lima has decided to leave the show, and won't be replaced, they had to come up with something that said ABSOLUTE END. FINALE.

(Most shows would have just killed Maggie off, so this approach was at least refreshing in that way.)

I'll miss Sanvers, given there aren't a lot of healthy PG-rated portrayals of lesbian relationships on TV. Although for the main demographic for this show, it wouldn't be all that big of a deal. The show also gets a a lot of discussion in queer circles (based on my doing a little research), so I suspect Alex will find a new love eventually to keep that audience on hook.

I totally agree with Kikass that Morgan Edge is WAY too thin of a character. He's little more than the avatar of a bad guy. The weakest writing involves his motivations. But he's obviously just the interim bad guy until Reign comes on full steam.

They probably don't want to develop him too much given he's expendable, but rather use him as a blunt tool to further drive Sam, Kara and Lena together -- so it will be all the more dramatic when their friendship explodes from inside like a nuclear bomb (named Reign)

Hopefully the first thing she does is blow Edge's clothes off and then toss him into naked into orbit. Justice and Revenge and absolutely no dignity. He deserves it. <grin>

Shadar.
Last Edit: 10 Nov 2017 01:28 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2017 09:39 #56974 by kikass2014
kikass2014 replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
Pretty good observation regarding Edge Shadar.

If I'm honest, I never actually considered him like that. In that light, I can see where the writers are coming from to be fair. Why pump resources into something that may not be there for long.

Good point :)

With regards to the Sanvers relationship, I get why it was there (to target a demographic) and why it ended the way it did (Lima leaving). I just felt that, while to be fair it was well written in a way, it didn't really add anything to the show APART from service to a particular demographic imo.

Imagine instead if Alex fell in love with a female villain. Obviously we wouldn't know she was a villain (maybe even a super one at that). You could have some interesting dynamics there. I'm a little hazy on the specifics, but her interactions with Max Lord in season 1 really worked. I felt there was "something" there in terms of attraction.

If they are gonna go down that route again with the character, at least integrate the relationship in a better way. One that adds to the growth of the character. Maggie and Alex felt to much like the same character - strong, independent women, and both law enforcement. Imagine Alex fell for Sam (pre Reign). And follow how that transpires. Maybe Alex redeems Reign and gets a super powered lover to boot? Much more interesting story potential (both ordinarily and from our niche genre) imo.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Expert
  • SWM - Expert
More
10 Nov 2017 17:48 #56981 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05

kikass2014 wrote: Pretty good observation regarding Edge Shadar.

If I'm honest, I never actually considered him like that. In that light, I can see where the writers are coming from to be fair. Why pump resources into something that may not be there for long.

Good point :)

With regards to the Sanvers relationship, I get why it was there (to target a demographic) and why it ended the way it did (Lima leaving). I just felt that, while to be fair it was well written in a way, it didn't really add anything to the show APART from service to a particular demographic imo.

Imagine instead if Alex fell in love with a female villain. Obviously we wouldn't know she was a villain (maybe even a super one at that). You could have some interesting dynamics there. I'm a little hazy on the specifics, but her interactions with Max Lord in season 1 really worked. I felt there was "something" there in terms of attraction.

If they are gonna go down that route again with the character, at least integrate the relationship in a better way. One that adds to the growth of the character. Maggie and Alex felt to much like the same character - strong, independent women, and both law enforcement. Imagine Alex fell for Sam (pre Reign). And follow how that transpires. Maybe Alex redeems Reign and gets a super powered lover to boot? Much more interesting story potential (both ordinarily and from our niche genre) imo.

Peace.

/K


Good observations on the Sanvers relationship, K. It was poorly integrated. It didn't start that way, but it became that way as it became a subplot of its own.

I'm reminded that while the writing has greatly improved this season, and I'm very pleased with that, this isn't a show known for its writing. And certainly not for its social commentary.

It's pitched at a millennial audience, where queer relationships are not considered unusual. But it didn't do anything for the main thrust of the show, which rotates around Kara.

But as a really old fart who is trying to keep his mind flexible and young and to appreciate our culture as it changes, I enjoyed it.

Look on the bright side... despite their dabbling in politics, it didn't go here. <grin> Good drawing, questionable scene, but technically within our genre. Love it or hate it as you wish.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2017 05:37 #56987 by andyf
andyf replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
Not quite as good as the past four episodes, but still better than most season two episodes. The idea of Edge using a cargo plane to dump the toxic chemical s with Lena on board is still a bit over the top, but the ep needed some kind of big action scene for Supergirl to save the day.


And speaking of action scenes, in trailer for this episode, there's scene of Supergirl punching out s bad guy. But, in the actual episode its never shown. What gives,a deleted scene?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • andyf
  • andyf's Avatar
  • Away
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
11 Nov 2017 10:46 #56988 by kikass2014
kikass2014 replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05

But, in the actual episode its never shown. What gives,a deleted scene?


Hmm, I never actually noticed that tbh. But I have seen this in other episodes (not many but some), where there would a be scene in next weeks teaser, and it wont be in the episode.

Definitely some edit change during that week.

Peace.

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Expert
  • SWM - Expert
More
13 Nov 2017 18:01 #57065 by fats
fats replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
you notice that Ruby (Sam's Daughter) does not get sick from the tainted water.

Does she have powers as well?

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2017 18:53 #57067 by kikass2014
kikass2014 replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
Ah good catch Fats :) I didn't spot that tbh :)

Could be an interesting development there :)

Peace,

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Expert
  • SWM - Expert
More
13 Nov 2017 19:08 #57068 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05

fats wrote: you notice that Ruby (Sam's Daughter) does not get sick from the tainted water.

Does she have powers as well?

Fats


Has it been stated that she's Sam's genetic daughter? I ask, because Reign is an alien being (even from the perspective of the amazing Kryptonians).

From the DC database:
"The Worldkillers are biological weapons created on Krypton. Most of them were genetically modified alien species, although at least one Worldkiller was a symbiotic parasite. Realizing these weapons were blood-thirsty, uncontrollable, super-powerful threats to all living beings, the Kryptonian Science Council outlawed them and ordered their destruction."

(Oops... one got away. I'm presuming Sam isn't the symbiotic parasite.)

So Sam/Reign couldn't bear a human daughter, even in a comic book universe.

Ergo, Ruby is either a souped-up super-alien with some (or all) of her mother's powers, or she's her Earth-adopted daughter and is merely human. (It's long been establish in the comics that many super-beings don't get their powers until they come of age or some dramatic event occurs that forces it.)

Don"t see any other apparent explanations for Ruby. Human daughter is interesting. Alien super-daughter of a WorldKiller is REALLY interesting. We might have some surprises ahead.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2017 19:29 #57069 by Monty
Monty replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05

shadar wrote:

fats wrote: you notice that Ruby (Sam's Daughter) does not get sick from the tainted water.

Does she have powers as well?

Fats


Has it been stated that she's Sam's genetic daughter? I ask, because Reign is an alien being (even from the perspective of the amazing Kryptonians).

From the DC database:
"The Worldkillers are biological weapons created on Krypton. Most of them were genetically modified alien species, although at least one Worldkiller was a symbiotic parasite. Realizing these weapons were blood-thirsty, uncontrollable, super-powerful threats to all living beings, the Kryptonian Science Council outlawed them and ordered their destruction."

(Oops... one got away. I'm presuming Sam isn't the symbiotic parasite.)

So Sam/Reign couldn't bear a human daughter, even in a comic book universe.

Ergo, Ruby is either a souped-up super-alien with some (or all) of her mother's powers, or she's her Earth-adopted daughter and is merely human. (It's long been establish in the comics that many super-beings don't get their powers until they come of age or some dramatic event occurs that forces it.)

Don"t see any other apparent explanations for Ruby. Human daughter is interesting. Alien super-daughter of a WorldKiller is REALLY interesting. We might have some surprises ahead.

Shadar


I haven't seen this episode yet (it's on tonight) Alex and Sam to be as a couple perhaps? Sam is single mum and Alex gets the child she wanted, and then there is Reign, a secret behind Alex's back... Gonna stop right there - getting way too complicated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2017 23:45 #57073 by kikass2014
kikass2014 replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05

...Alex and Sam to be as a couple perhaps? Sam is single mum and Alex gets the child she wanted, and then there is Reign, a secret behind Alex's back...


I would go one step further and say what if Alex is the one to redeem Reign? Perhaps its not Supergirl that stops Reign (maybe because she is just to damn powerful), but rather Alex. She is the reason Reign turns away from her nature and fight against Kara. Maybe there is a bigger threat as the season cliffhanger that requires this?

The possibilities are numerous :) Will be interesting to see which way they go.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Expert
  • SWM - Expert
More
14 Nov 2017 00:15 #57074 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05

kikass2014 wrote:

...Alex and Sam to be as a couple perhaps? Sam is single mum and Alex gets the child she wanted, and then there is Reign, a secret behind Alex's back...


I would go one step further and say what if Alex is the one to redeem Reign? Perhaps its not Supergirl that stops Reign (maybe because she is just to damn powerful), but rather Alex. She is the reason Reign turns away from her nature and fight against Kara. Maybe there is a bigger threat as the season cliffhanger that requires this?

The possibilities are numerous :) Will be interesting to see which way they go.

Peace.

/K


One of the key validations of the improvement in the writing in S3 is that we're having discussions, thoughts and questions like this. They've put enough things on the table to give us something interesting to wonder about.

Good stories create all kinds of questions. Just like life.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2017 00:47 #57075 by kikass2014
kikass2014 replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
^ Agree :)

Peace.

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Expert
  • SWM - Expert
More
14 Nov 2017 03:00 - 14 Nov 2017 03:57 #57078 by Monty
Monty replied the topic: Supergirl S3EP05
WATCH WITH MOTHER

I pop round to my mum's on a Sunday and Monday and thought I''ll catch Supergirl at Mum's while she reads the paper.. It' s OK I think. Then Alex and her lesbian gf start kissing and canoodling in bed.
Mum looks up and says "What are we watching?"

Me; "umm....just some supergirl thingy"

Mum:; "oh, ok then"

Mums - you`ve got to love them back .
:)
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2017 03:57 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds