Amount

Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)

28 Nov 2017 03:31 - 28 Nov 2017 03:35 #57334 by murdough
Tonight was a pretty good first half to the crossover. Most of the plot elements might be confusing to those who only watch Supergirl, not bothering with the rest of the Arrowverse. As promised, this year's crossover is tighter and more unified in terms of the plotting, as opposed to last year where each particular episode focused on the cast and subplots for the particular show.

In terms of Supergirl, nice start on Earth-38, seeing some continuation of the Alex/Maggie breakup as well as the immediate follow up to the reveal about Mon-el's marital status. Aside from Lena, we saw all of Supergirl's regulars("our" J'onn and Winn in their DEO support roles, as well as the Earth-X Jimmy getting killed by Oliver Queen's counterpart in the teaser). Judging from photos, we'll be meeting Winn's Earth-X counterpart tomorrow. Nice callback to the Dominators("They're so last year").

The Earth-X Kara is good so far, and I enjoyed the fact that she and her Earth's Oliver are married. The rage of the Olicity(Oliver/Felicity) shippers is always fun to watch, given that I loath that pairing personally. The melodrama between them tonight is merely the tip of a large, annoying iceberg. The initial fight between the Karas was good, given the budget, and I look forward to the next round. Interesting take on what happens when Kryptonians are over exposed to a yellow sun.

I had a feeling that Alex and Sara Lance would have a flirtation at the very least, and Chyler did a good job with her reacting to having a drunken one night stand. I do hope they touch on that more tomorrow night, at least leaving them on good terms. It definitely won't be a long term relationship, given that Sara will have a new love interest in the back half of the current season of Legends. But Alex deserves to blow off some steam.

Beyond that, nice cameo by William Katt(The Greatest American Hero) as the ill fated minister. Loved the interaction between Mick Rory and Caitlin Snow, given that he's a former recurring villain("Since I tried to kill the groom a couple of times, I better sit on the bride's side). He's always good for a laugh. Also great to see Colin Donnell as Tommy Merlyn again, even if it was the Earth-X version and only for a few minutes.

Overall, a good start and looking forward to see how this wraps up tomorrow night.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2017 03:35 by murdough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2017 04:44 #57337 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
This week is a special week where I don't have to try and watch the show before work on Tuesday AM. :)

I have not kept up with all four shows on the CW but have at least seen some/many episodes and I didn't have a hard time. I actually thought "this would be an okay jumping back in point" for some people - and I hope it is.

I for one thought they were two really fun episodes. I mean - really - we're getting this on Network TV! Going into this I was thinking - "Well, they're throwing Nazi's at us - get ready for shark jumping - only to have flash fight an actual shark man. My jaw hit the floor. That said - no shark jumping yet even with a ton of fan service and one liners... ...and shark fights. This time I loved Melissa singing - it didn't seem forced. I enjoyed the characters. I enjoyed the action. Two thumbs up: Super Clap, Evil Trinity, Kryptonite Arrow stuck in Ubergirl, spin and shirt rip (Red5 you need to update your video),

Hopefully constructive thoughts follow: I still dislike the spastic "what the heck is going on" fight scene choreography and endless dark with red/blue/green mood lighting theme but I'll take what I can get. I lost a little respect for the Alex and Supergirl characters. One night stands are just not part of my world - nor has it ever been or will be. It's consensual - fine - but I still call it foolish. I love sister support - but it felt out of character for "my" character. Why is James still a good guy in earth X? Did something seem off visually with the Dominator car crash scene or Metallo?

What was Overgirls line exactly? "...Your [syrupy?] sentiment about Americana?"

More
28 Nov 2017 05:10 #57338 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)

comment:" I wish I could sleep fly"

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Woodclaw, theomach

More
28 Nov 2017 05:36 #57339 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)

Random321 wrote: Why is James still a good guy in earth X? Did something seem off visually with the Dominator car crash scene or Metallo?

in terms of James still being a hero, well, let's be honest, as a man of color, he probably wouldn't side with Nazis, hence him being a member of the Resistance/Freedom Fighters. as for the Dominator and Metallo, the CG in the Arrowverse isn't exactly flawless, so there will always be hiccups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321

• murdough
More
29 Nov 2017 03:27 - 29 Nov 2017 03:32 #57351 by murdough
Overall, Crisis had a pretty good ending. To get it out of the way, there were two classic references. When Kara challenges Overgirl, she utters the classic line of, "General, would you care to step outside?" before they start a well done aerial battle. Later, as Overgirl is about to go nuclear, Harry Wells instructs Kara to "carry her...up. Up....up....and....away!"

Jeremy Jordan was able to flex his acting muscles, playing a much different version of Winslow Schott. On Earth-X, he's hardened, cynical, and bit of a putz, serving as a general, and leader of the resistance on his world. I will be glad to see his more familiar counterpart next week.

Alex and Sara ended their flirtation with a hug, Alex taking Sara's advice to follow her instincts regarding why she broke up with Maggie. Kara also seems to be on her way towards moving on from Mon-el and allowing herself to open herself to love again.

Victor Garber took his final bow as Professor Martin Stein after about four years, sacrificing himself to save the life of his friend and partner Jax. I won't lie, I did get choked up during his death scene, as well as the immediate aftermath, and his funeral near the end of the episode. He did a fantastic job with the character and he will be missed.

The final battle was well done, given that they were working with a TV budget. The fights were well choreographed, and the effects up to par. It was appropriate that Kara was there when her doppelganger exploded, as was the fact that Oliver was the one to kill his Earth-X counterpart. And of course, the Reverse-Flash runs off to fight another day.

There was a bit of foreshadowing when Kara told Thawne(the Reverse-Flash) that if she died, her cousin would come after him. Thawne retorted in that, due to him being a time traveler, he'd actually fought Superman before. "Your cousin's fast, but I'm faster." Who knows, maybe one day we'll see that fight.

Looks like Citizen Cold, a decidedly different man from his Earth-1 counterpart, will be sticking around for a little while. Wentworth Miller did announce a couple weeks ago that he was wrapping up his tenure as Leonard Snart. After three years of playing one of the Arrowverse's breakout characters, he too will be missed.

The episode ends with Barry and Iris, as well as Oliver and Felicity both deciding to get married right then and there in a park in Central City. Barry runs to Star City to retrieve John Diggle, vigilante, ex-Special Forces, and ordained minister. And as always, John(a meat and potatoes sort of guy) loses his lunch in reaction to Barry speeding him away. Gotta stay consistent with the classics.

Like I said, overall, a satisfying end to the crossover. They're really gonna have to pull out all the stops to top this next year.

Next week, mid season finales for all four shows, the trailer for Supergirl having been posted in another thread.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2017 03:32 by murdough.

• murdough
More
29 Nov 2017 04:03 #57352 by thedoc9
Replied by thedoc9 on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
First two episodes were better than the last two, but overall it was much better than last year. A true crossover where all four episodes were a mix of show characters, almost to the point where it’s a little less obvious which show an episode is from.

Loved Overgirl’s costume (except the mask). Loved seeing her super powerful and standing toe to toe with Supergirl. Hated that they gave away too early that she was going to die at the end. Too much sunlight burned out her heart?. Ummm, okay. At least I now have an idea for a fan fiction story...

The FX budget clearly fell short in the last episode, as the flying CGI Supergirl looked like a video game from ten years ago, particularly the non-flowing cape fabric and the too-large S-shield. I would have been happy for a non-flying fight instead, if that would have cut costs. Just keep Overgirl’s mask in place so the stunt double can be in the shots. Must have been too late to change it.

If they wanted to write off one of the Guardians characters, I guess this is the logical places to do it.

Kinda sorry Maggie and that girl in white leather couldn’t have had a bit more time.

Loved that Earth X Snart is a good guy. Looking forward to seeing him on Flash this season. He should add to the fun factor we’re getting from mister stretchy dude.

Gonna be a little frustrating next year when I buy Season 3 of Supergirl on Blu Ray. I can’t see me also buying the other three show box sets as well just to get the whole Crisis story.

Overall, I liked it. Didn’t LOVE it, but liked it. And now to prepare for... Reign!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Random321

More
29 Nov 2017 06:16 #57353 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
I also this k the first two episodes were better, but, over all this years crossover event was the best yet. I really liked how Kara used her powers in ways we've never been before. Trying to get a manicure, but her invulnerability gets in the wat. The floating wile sleeping in a sleeping bag in Felicity's apartment. The sonic clap during the church fight scene, which was by the way a much better fight than the final fight with Overgirl. It seemed like between part one and part two,Supergirl herself had more fight scenes than all of season three thus far. I watch all four Arrowverse shows and I've noticed a big decline in the number of fight scenes per episode on just about all of them except, maybe Arrow.

More
29 Nov 2017 08:25 #57354 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
I think thedoc9 summed up my thoughts/feelings about the back half of the cross over very well. Kudos.

I wonder what Rodgers and Hammerstein would think of Edelweiss being used as a pseudo NSDAP/SS theme song - sigh.

I did greatly enjoy Overgirl and Supergirl. "Care to step outside General" - just awesome. I do wish they would stop killing off the great bad guys. Maybe I have hope for a longer run with Reign.

I'm tempted to get back into Flash now - but I'd have a lot of catch up to do.

More
29 Nov 2017 09:26 #57355 by murdough

thedoc9 wrote: Too much sunlight burned out her heart?. Ummm, okay. At least I now have an idea for a fan fiction story...

Not without precedent. Grant Morrison's seminal All-Star Superman centered around the idea that an extreme concentration of solar energy was killing the big guy

• murdough
More
29 Nov 2017 13:52 #57360 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)

When Kara challenges Overgirl, she utters the classic line of, "General, would you care to step outside?"

This!

When Kara said that line, AND with the pose, I had the biggest geek-out moment I've had in a while :D I actually stood up and applauded lol :D Fantastic moment :)

The crossover event was infinitely better then last years!

Last year, as someone mentioned, the episodes felt like standalone pieces, with each focusing on their respective shows and the dominator threat tying them all together. This felt MUCH better :)

The story was much closer to home, which lent it a lot more weight. I can understand for someone who doesn't follow all the shows, that this would not have the same impact. The story and how it played out worked BECAUSE of all the history behind these characters. Barry & Iris; Oliver & Felicity; Stein & The Legends (as well as Team Flash); and so on. But for those that do, this was a great payoff imo.

Each of the four parts felt like parts of a whole, like one long story. All the characters (I think) played some part in the narrative. That shot of them marching to the final battle was gold :)

The fights were well done. But if I'm honest, I don't generally have a problem with them, story and character are much more important to me. And that is where this worked for me.

Seeing the culmination and continuation of so many threads, Victor Garber's departure probably having the most impact. That was so well played out (if a little predicable if I do say so myself). I couldn't help but shed a tear at that moment :(

Sara and Alex was almost a given lol :D Nice to see Snart back, even if it is only for a short while :) And Rory was fantastic as always :D

Seriously, so many, SO MANY, great lines across all four parts :) You could fill a book on all the pop culture references alone :D

Oh, and ofc, awesome to see the girls of the Berlanti-verse all together :) :kiss:

Well played everyone :) That was a real treat for a geek like me :D

I have no idea how they are going to top this one for next year, but at least they have a whole year to plan it lol :D Good luck team :)

Peace.

/K

More
29 Nov 2017 17:22 #57363 by andyf
This weeks episode is the 50th episode to air . Think about that. That's almost as many episodes that the 1970s WW
series produced.

More
30 Nov 2017 04:18 #57378 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
Last year they did manage to move plot lines forward for each show during the crossover. That's usually a weakness of crossover events, the rest of the show is on hold while the crossover happens.

This year, they did an even better job (proving it wasn't an accident last year, it was good writing). The Ollie/Felicity thing that's been going on for YEARS has finally reached a new phase and one that it NEVER would have if the show was only Arrow. I'd not have bought it if not against the backdrop of this crossover. (Note: while I loved S1 & 2 Felicity, i'm not a fan of Olicity or whatevr it's called. Though it's been MUCH better this season and during this crossover ... so I hope they keep it in balance.)

OTH, Felicity in the Flash crossover was > Any Felicity episode on Arrow for the last 2-3 years. Maybe the Arrow writers were taking notes.

Kara and Alex both heal by seeing what REAL problems are like and seeing the examples of the other people there. I think some gentle chiding by Barry went a lot farther to heal Kara than anything that would happen on Supergirl. Add to that meeting an evil version of herself (who, despite being evil had found someone). I LOVED Kara's reaction to that. "EW! Uh, No offense." So again, I think for the price of 1 Supergirl Episode (the one donated to the crossover), they got back more than they put in. (Too bad Kara didn't see Earth-X Winn, that might have changed how she looked at him...)

We also see better uses of Kara's powers on the crossovers. Last year there was a moment when she was battling the ENTIRE rest of the team and causally KICKING THEIR ASS floating in the air. It was such a perfect female power moment, it was better than anything she'd had on her own show! (Maybe the Solar Grenade moment in Smith's episode later in the season) This year we had some great things (power clap!). Again, I hope the Supergirl writing team learned from this. They have a good hit ratio this year, but they can always stand to up their game.

You can roll through a lot of plot problems on each show, and other than not addressing the totem problems on Legends, I think they hit most of the current running list and managed to complete them in ways each show would have had problems with alone. So the crossover not only moved each show forward, but probably did so faster than it could alone. (OK, Flash's Thinker problem didn't move ahead .. .but it wasn't going to on "the wedding episode" ... Flash gave up a filler episode to a great crossover event. Genius.)

Stein got a great sendoff. They could have done it on Legends, but it carried more weight on the Crossover. Plus he also got to have great moments with Caitlin, and we got to see Ray's reaction at the funeral (etc).

All in all the weak points were some of the effects ... but I think they were surrounded by a good story and some great acting ... which always makes me not care so much about the effects. Story > Effects ( What can I say, I watched a lot of Dr. Who for an American as I was growing up. ;-) )

I don't know what someone only watching one of the shows thought, but watching all the shows (well 2/3 of arrow), it was pretty great. Half the Legends characters are from Flash and Arrow, so it's great to see them mix/match up. I just LOVE Rory on these crossover events. His crush on Killer Frost was cute.

The minute Sara walked up to Alex I already knew where it was going. Sara's ability to close the deal is .... legendary. Glad they used it as a learning moment for the both of them too. (Again, Rory with "Did you hit that?")

All in all, a well done event and I impressed on how well they wrote/used all the characters.

Still it was a juggling event and it was 3 hours. What's Marvel doing to do in Infinity War with only 2 hours and even more characters!

More
30 Nov 2017 12:04 #57385 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
That was pretty awesome!
I loved almost every bit of it.
With a few careful edits it will make one HELL of a movie.
Much better than Justice League.

The standout scene for me was when Supergirl, still in the dress she was wearing to the wedding, was battling Overgirl high over the church.
I couldn't get enough of it.
And this is from the guy who would rather see his characters in costume more than out of costume.
So well done there.

"General, would you care to step outside."
All this, everyday.

Now if the writers only cut the political B.S. out....... Supergirl could go to the next level.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, theomach, TwiceOnThursdays, Monty

More
30 Nov 2017 12:11 #57387 by Markiehoe
This article just popped up in my newsfeed!

Massive ratings boost.
www.cbr.com/crisis-on-earth-x-cw-tv-rati...n=CBR-FB-P&view=list

Maybe they should just combine all the shows and do a two hour Justice League of America mini movie every week.

More
30 Nov 2017 16:48 #57398 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)

Markiehoe wrote:
Now if the writers only cut the political B.S. out....... Supergirl could go to the next level.

I believe the politics simply reflects the thinking of their major demographic, which is younger than most of us. In other words, assuming they want the show to resonate and be relatable to their majority audience, you can't separate politics given its part of their daily reality and discussions.

Millennials. Love 'em or hate 'em, they are the largest demographic now and everything is going to bend their way. Just as it did for us Boomers long ago.

What's cool is that we HAVE these shows. Other than the WW show ages ago, and some bad movies in the 80's, we Boomers didn't drive the kind of shows that we're enjoying now, and certainly not at this quality level.

So... All Hail the Millennials!!!

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 Nov 2017 17:04 #57401 by kikass2014

So... All Hail the Millennials!!!

That's an interesting discussion to be had Shadar, but topic will probably be locked :D So I will simply say......NEVER!!!!!!! :P

Peace.

/K

More
04 Dec 2017 11:59 #57488 by Markiehoe
I rewatched The Crisis on Earth X event cutting out some of the fluff.
Man this would make a good movie with some edits.
Here is something pointed out to me, I did not catch it myself.

That is a pretty cool throwback.

And here is a picture I took. (I can't find a decent pic of this scene.)

Normally Supergirl getting rescued twice in the same episode would have made me flip out.
Oddly enough I was ok with this.
I would have rather seen Supergirl free herself from the operating table but I was perfectly OK with Citizen Steel catching Supergirl.
I guess they really sold the TEAM aspect of these episodes.

This message has attachments images.

More
04 Dec 2017 15:34 #57492 by kikass2014
Here you go Markiehoe :) Enjoy :)

This my personal fav shot from that sequence :)

Looking forward to tonight's episode :)

Peace.

/K

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

More
04 Dec 2017 16:23 #57496 by Markiehoe
Thank you so much! that is pretty cool.

More
04 Dec 2017 18:23 #57497 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
Looking forward to this in the UK tonight!

Markiehoe wrote: That was pretty awesome!
I loved almost every bit of it.
With a few careful edits it will make one HELL of a movie.
Much better than Justice League.

The standout scene for me was when Supergirl, still in the dress she was wearing to the wedding, was battling Overgirl high over the church.
I couldn't get enough of it.
And this is from the guy who would rather see his characters in costume more than out of costume.
So well done there.

"General, would you care to step outside."
All this, everyday.

More
05 Dec 2017 15:29 - 05 Dec 2017 15:29 #57515 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)

Markiehoe wrote: Here is something pointed out to me, I did not catch it myself.

That is a pretty cool throwback.

They're getting a lot of mileage out of those jokes. At the end of last year crossover, Atom commented that, while wearing glasses, Kara looked a lot like his cousin ;)
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 15:29 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
08 Dec 2017 00:23 #57561 by unseen_unheard
Replied by unseen_unheard on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)
I didn't see anyone mention this, so apologies if I (probably) missed it. Does anyone else suspect that the awkward waitress talking to Barry was Barry and Iris's kid from the future there to witness them getting married? She seemed awfully invested in the marriage and I think resembles what a kid of theirs could look like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
08 Dec 2017 09:53 #57567 by kikass2014

Does anyone else suspect that the awkward waitress talking to Barry was Barry and Iris's kid from the future there to witness them getting married? She seemed awfully invested in the marriage and I think resembles what a kid of theirs could look like.

That's a pretty good point. I noticed it during the episode for sure. It seemed clear that they wanted us (the audience) to notice her.

Who she is though is another matter. They could be setting up a character for later this season, or maybe next season.

It could be another member of the Legion of Super-heroes they are setting up. Or maybe one of their villains :P

Will be interesting to see how that plays out :)

Peace.

/K

More
08 Dec 2017 12:38 #57569 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Season 3 x 08 Crisis on Earth-X (Spoilers)

kikass2014 wrote:

Does anyone else suspect that the awkward waitress talking to Barry was Barry and Iris's kid from the future there to witness them getting married? She seemed awfully invested in the marriage and I think resembles what a kid of theirs could look like.

That's a pretty good point. I noticed it during the episode for sure. It seemed clear that they wanted us (the audience) to notice her.

Who she is though is another matter. They could be setting up a character for later this season, or maybe next season.

It could be another member of the Legion of Super-heroes they are setting up. Or maybe one of their villains :P

Will be interesting to see how that plays out :)

Peace.

/K

This is the predominant theory at the moment: the girl was Dawn Allen.

More
08 Dec 2017 14:36 #57570 by andyf
Compared to the three other shows, Supergirl itself seemed to be the least effected be the least effected by the outcome of the crossover. Barry and Iris go married and met a mysterious woman. Oliver and Felicity go married.. Stein died , Jax left the legends and Smart from Earth X joined the team.

In this weeks episode, nobody even said anything about the whole event.

More
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds