Amount

Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz

23 Jan 2018 12:00 #58234 by kikass2014
Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz was created by kikass2014
Hmm....ok, that was an....interesting episode.

In general, I think the episode was good. But I felt it was definitely below the standard (admittedly very high) set be all the other episodes this season.

The episode started off with an interesting premise tbh. A depowered Supergirl in a place where no men can help her. Hmm, ok I can roll with it for one episode.

But the return of Livewire and Psi was a nice touch. Supergirl assembling her own mission team was pretty cool. Brit Morgan is fantastic as Livewire, so was really nice to see her sass back :)

The whole interplay between her, Psi and Kara was great :) And probably the best part of the show.

Where I felt the episode lacked, was when they finally found Sarah Douglas's priestess. I mean, it was great to see Sarah back, and her performance was really good. But why so short???? It was literally one scene. And it really didn't amount to anything except progressing the plot of the season. Who is this priestess? Why was she locked up? What are her powers beyond her "sight"?

That section all felt very rushed to me, which is unusual as this season has taken a great deal of time establishing characters and motivations.

The death of Livewire was a touching scene to be fair. And the more I see of Brainy, the more I like him.

Also, Reign is just awesome as always, especially when Psi got into her mind. I really love Odette Annabel's characterization and performance of this conflicted person. Especially her realisation at the end that something is not right. For me, she is the best thing this season.

I wish they could have cut the Alex/Ruby subplot/stand and focused more on the Supergirl/Reign/Priestess section. I think that would have served the episode and season much better. Did we really need that Maggie element?

So, in summary, definitely the weakest episode this season so far for me. But, with the introduction of another Worldkiller, I am looking forward to seeing where this goes next week.

A slight fumble, but you haven't dropped the ball Team Supergirl.

Focus and carry on.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Jan 2018 13:36 #58236 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz
Kickass summed this one up pretty well.

The first stumble of a great season.
This one deserved to be a two parter.
Sarah Douglas was almost criminally underused.

I love comic book science more than most.
The "No Men" twist was pretty cool.
However we are to believe that not only did Supergirl threw Fort Rozz into space but she threw it into orbit around another sun light years away from our solar system.
YIKES!
Astrophysically speaking the Voyager probes are still right next to the Earth.
Bouncing a signal off of them would be next to nothing over the distance travelled.

What happened to those two wraiths fighting Livewire?
How did they wind up out in space?

I liked the Ruby/ Alex/ Maggie section. Would have been better if this was a two parter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
23 Jan 2018 18:58 #58239 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz

Markiehoe wrote: Kickass summed this one up pretty well.

The first stumble of a great season.
This one deserved to be a two parter.
Sarah Douglas was almost criminally underused.

I love comic book science more than most.
The "No Men" twist was pretty cool.
However we are to believe that not only did Supergirl threw Fort Rozz into space but she threw it into orbit around another sun light years away from our solar system.
YIKES!
Bouncing a signal off of them would be next to nothing over the distance travelled.

What happened to those two wraiths fighting Livewire?
How did they wind up out in space?

I liked the Ruby/ Alex/ Maggie section. Would have been better if this was a two parter.

Fort Roz rbiting a distant star? Comic book magic gone totally insane. I like that she has to struggle to win her fights, but if she can put a million-ton space-station into orbit around another sun in almost no time, then she has to be able to fly at tens of thousand to millions of times the speed of light, along with pushing the massive station at the same speed. While it's full of people.

If she had that kind of power, she could destroy any villain with no more than a flick of her little finger. She could destroy the Earth with a single punch.

No thank you. That's the ultimate combination of lazy writing and stupid ideas. I was hoping we'd left the Fort Roz silliness back in Season 2 or whatever it should have died.

I think I may skip this episode. Tks for the heads up.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
23 Jan 2018 22:42 #58240 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz
yep a weak ep this one wasted Sarah Douglas, the ending was a little surprising, the interplay between Ruby/Alex/Maggie was good.

But the stand out actors in this ep where Brit/Oddette/Yael they killed it for me, Odette is really showing up Melissa's failings as an actor she portrays power way better than Melissa.

I said that this Ep was weak but is still light years better than anything in season 2.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Jan 2018 14:43 #58245 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz

Markiehoe wrote:
YIKES!

I just assumed more happened to Fort Rozz than simply Supergirl throwing it into space. For example, it has its own engines ( I wasn't really paying too close attention, but it seemed Brainy feed power from the Legion cruiser to power the Rozz engines.). The engines just didn't seem powerful enough to lift it into Space which is why it was trapped on Earth. There is plenty of precedent in fiction that FTL drives won't work inside a gravity well, but Rozz could have had a jump left in it once it hit space.

Do we really believe it _accidentally_ ended up around a star the de-powered Kryptonians and killed all men? Most of the Rozz bad guys would see Superman the bigger threat, plus they hate Kryptonians.

(No one has mentioned that in the comics Blue Suns supercharge Kryptonians.)

We also know that there is some kind of wormhole close to Earth -- Mon-El hit one almost immediately after leaving Earth that hurled him into the future. Rozz could have easily tumbled through one.

So I just hand-waved how Fort Rozz got where it was at. IT does seem the DEO's space-capabilities have gotten a lot better... but they should have after the Daxamite invasion.

Supergirl-universe Voyager != real world universe Voyager. But the problem still stands. Also, I don't know what signal they were using that was FTL, but it seems like Voyager wouldn't be able to bounce/relay that kind of signal anyway.... A lot Science Fiction stories handwave around communication and speed of light issues. I think this could have been handled better in the episode, but honestly, that's not where the writing focus should be. Still a few minutes of sci fi geeking and I'm sure they could have come up with something better and made the scene work.

The entire purpose of the scene was to have Winn show up Brainy to solve the inevitable communication issue.

Lastly, I can't believe the Legion let them take their cruiser with three sleeping people on it. I sure hope they're all men, else why not wake the women up to help in the mission? Doesn't seem to be any reason they can't go BACK into cryosleep... And why didn't the men in cryosleep die? Shielding? Couldn't some men have gone in support capacity then (stayed in the ship under shielding?)

Or did they take the pods out before the trip and we just not see it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Markiehoe, theomach

More
24 Jan 2018 17:01 #58246 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz
Late last night I remembered the wormhole Mon El went through so I will give you that one.

I like the geek brainstorming idea to science up the show a bit.

More
31 Jan 2018 22:32 #58394 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Season 3 x 11 Fort Rozz
Ok, so the plot was driven forward so that SG now knows that some of Reins powers are not just from the sun. SG knows that there are other world killers.
They came up with radiation from the blue sun being fatal to folks with Y chromosomes to keep Mon El, Jon and Superman out of the fight.

As someone who studied a fair amount of physics and chemistry, at times the
Pseudo science can be a little hard to take. There is no way that Voyger could have done what they said, but it was an interesting plot device to let Winn show up Brainy. My biggest problem was the energy transfer' but what the hell.
Rein was great with plenty of good action sequences. I will not let the dorky
Plot elements spoil what was otherwise a decent episode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321, Monty

More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds