Amount

Acting abilities

02 Feb 2018 16:14 #58429 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Acting abilities
Ok folks, I think we have gotten a little spoiled this season and some are starting to get a bit too hypercritical.

Number 1. TV shows don't exist to please our little community. They exist to make money for the networks and producers by selling advertising.

Number 2. CBS and the CW have invested a ton of money in promoting MB as SG. She has done her part as well by hitting the talk show circuit. Google her name and Supergirl and you get 257,000 results in 0.61 seconds. Hit MB and you get 307,000 in 0.60 seconds.

Number 3. We are not the demographic for this show! MB has been a near perfect role model thus far both on and off the screen.

Number 4 IMO MB is the perfect cute, kind girl next type that every guy would want to take to the prom and later marry. I think she is also looked upon favorably as a good role model for little girls.
Why would anyone want to throw all of that away.

Never lose site of the big picture!

I have waited all my life for a show like this, and I hope that MB and SG can hang in there for 5 seasons.
I am a big Baseball fan, and in Baseball, a star hitter only gets a hit 3/10 times at the plate. Team Supergirl is doing way better than that this season!
The following user(s) said Thank You: oogber, Woodclaw, aguilauno, Markiehoe, theomach, TwiceOnThursdays, kikass2014, andyf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2018 16:57 #58430 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Acting abilities
I think you hit the nail right on the head Ace.

I would also like to add that Melissa (if memory serves) introduced the word "Adorkable" into pop culture.

She is fine as Supergirl/Kara. This isn't Shakespeare so to speak. And her acting chops for the role are more then fine.

The rest is down to the writing, which so far this season, has been an almost perfect streak.

Sure, Reign atm is getting a lot of the limelight. But as someone mentioned, villians are always better roles in the main then heroes.

Could they add more depth to the Kara/Supergirl role? Sure. But like I said, thats not really Melissa's job, more the writing team.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: ace191, aguilauno, Markiehoe

More
02 Feb 2018 19:38 #58431 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Acting abilities
I agree completely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
03 Feb 2018 08:59 #58433 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Acting abilities

ace191 wrote: Ok folks, I think we have gotten a little spoiled this season and some are starting to get a bit too hypercritical.

Number 1. TV shows don't exist to please our little community. They exist to make money for the networks and producers by selling advertising.

Number 2. CBS and the CW have invested a ton of money in promoting MB as SG. She has done her part as well by hitting the talk show circuit. Google her name and Supergirl and you get 257,000 results in 0.61 seconds. Hit MB and you get 307,000 in 0.60 seconds.

Number 3. We are not the demographic for this show! MB has been a near perfect role model thus far both on and off the screen.

Number 4 IMO MB is the perfect cute, kind girl next type that every guy would want to take to the prom and later marry. I think she is also looked upon favorably as a good role model for little girls.
Why would anyone want to throw all of that away.

Never lose site of the big picture!

I have waited all my life for a show like this, and I hope that MB and SG can hang in there for 5 seasons.
I am a big Baseball fan, and in Baseball, a star hitter only gets a hit 3/10 times at the plate. Team Supergirl is doing way better than that this season!

I'd like to add one thing: is really Melissa who reached the top of her acting abilities, or she just reach the limit of what her character allows her?

Like many other superheroes, Supergirl is semi-linear character with a very distinct psychology. By comparison Reign is far more complex and elaborate, allowing much more nuanced acting.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
05 Feb 2018 22:23 #58468 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Acting abilities

castor wrote: And the old rule of acting is-well Odette as the [villain] has the better part.

I think you're spot on Castor. I think Ace makes some good points as well.

MB was great as Ubergirl and did well on RedK. She portrays by far the best Kara ever in my opinion - from SG 1984 to Smallville to any fan production in between. As Supergirl she also has great moments. Is she what this community would "fan-cast" - maybe not. Does some of the writing and photography not help SG's range and presence - I do think so. The Flash suffers from a bit of the same for me - I love(d*) it but it missed the "ta-da" a bit.

*I just stopped having time to watch. #priorities

Project Super Woman
SFX Laden Video Shorts and Digital Comics Featuring Super Heroines
www.projectsuperwoman.com

Home of Mindy Marvel, Super Michaela, Domina, E-Girl, Bionica, Power Play, Amp, Superheroines & Super Villains.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

• Random321
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
  • Project Super Woman
More
24 Feb 2018 13:44 #58685 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Acting abilities

More
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds