Amount:

Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)

07 Feb 2018 00:08 #58487 by Markiehoe
Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers) was created by Markiehoe
I think the producers got caught short with the mid season break.
The ending of the episode did not seem "cliffhangerish" nor did "Everything come together" for our villains.
Seems like we needed one more episode before the break.

Supergirl and the DEO really seem on the defensive by the end of the episode.
Supergirl, Martian Manhunter and Mon El were helpless against Purity.
I did like the way both Supergirl and eventually Alex appealed to Purity's humanity to resolve the situation.

Lena is quite an interesting character here.
She has every right to put Sam on leave to address her problem.
She was very diplomatic confronting Sam after she abandoned her child at the skating rink.
I really thought Sam was going to go full on Reign when Lena questioned her parenting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Online
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
07 Feb 2018 03:17 #58488 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
If Lena is the genius that she is suppose to be then she should know who Reign is. Next question is what can she do about it? I am thinking that Luthorcorp will join the fight, but will they team up with the near powerless DEO? It sucks to play Supergirl at this point in time.

But maybe Lena will power up SG enough so that she can beat them. Wouldn't that be nice. More likely Lena will come up with a way to weaken them so that in the end, SG will prevail. I am growing tired watching MB get her ass kicked every week on her very own show!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 08:55 #58491 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
I think the episode, like Markiehoe said, was meant to feel like it left us with cliffhangers, but it didnt quite hit the mark for me either.

There was a lot of character development/plot development in this episode, setting up the final act.

Lena clicking who Sam is (I am sure she has worked it out). I always enjoy seeing Katie McGrath as Lena, and she is great with Odette.

The conflict in Purity showing that Sam has a chance of being redeemed and controlling her Reign persona. Even Supergirl said that to beat them, they may need to save them instead of fighting them. This was also hinted at earlier in the season, with the Legion saying they don't "defeat" Reign, rather she goes away in time.

And finally we have Saturn Girl's reveal to Mon-El. I hope they don't continue the Mon-El pining over Kara storyline to hook them up. It was hinted that Mon-El and Imra only got married to solve planetary issues. To this I say No. Let Mon-El have moved on and be happily married to Imra. (Amy Jackson is waaaaayyyy better looking then Melissa imo also). Don't try and bring back that Karamel thread.

So plenty to look forward to after the 9 week break :)

Looking forward to catching up with the Legends in the meantime :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 16:37 #58494 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
I guess I don't think a mid-season break has to be all that dramatic. THings are looking down for the DEO team.

I certainly hope Lena has figured out Reign ... but then Kara (and the DEO) don't tell her anything so she's operating on only half the knowledge. If anyone in the DEO saw Sam doing what she did (esp Kara) then she'd ABSOLUTELY know, but I don't think they've told Lena that. Still hope Lena has figured it out (they seem to be indicating Lena doesn't know about Kara/Supegirl and I'd hoped she knew that too).

If I were the DEO I understand mistrusting Lena, but she DID solve the Daxam invasion problem last season. Engaging her on the WorldKiller problem seems like a profitable enterprise. Much better to work with her so you can keep tabs on her rather than let her run rampant and go all bad-Luthor.

I agree with Kickass2014, I hope the Mon-El arc is about how he re-affirms his love for Imra and learns to be friends with Kara rather than re-kindling with Kara. (Bonus, Kara learns to let go of her feelings and learns to be friends with Mon-El. i.e. actual growth of her character.) The love triangle is so angsty and overdone. Let's have a story about how a married couple encounters difficult feelings and works through it like adults. I also concur Amy Jackson is super-hot, which does make the problem easier to handle.

I want to see some more Kara/Brainy action. And where was Brainy this episode?

I am a bit tired of Kara not being even a match for the worldkillers ... I don't mind her losing, but she's beaten easily. I do like the solution of her figuring out to save them rather than beat them. This played in the episode of Alex trying to go gung-ho and getting played and hurt. She only wins when she reverts to empathy.

I will say this episode had some hot evil-supergirl moments with Purity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 17:05 - 07 Feb 2018 17:07 #58495 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
Maybe somebody needs to remind Mon-El that THIS is his wife :D



You know, in case he's forgotten Oo

Peace.

/K

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 17:07 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36, aguilauno, Markiehoe, theomach, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 17:39 #58496 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
Other than the color, this looks more like Saturn Girl's uniform of the 60's and 70's. ;-)

kikass2014 wrote: Maybe somebody needs to remind Mon-El that THIS is his wife :D



You know, in case he's forgotten Oo

Peace.

/K

The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 19:04 #58497 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
That swimsuit, that looks a lot like Saturn Girl's old costume except for color, is also a reminder that costumes in the 60's and 70's were truly outstanding.

It seems like the trend forward, starting in the 80's, was to use more square inches of fabric with every iteration. A costume like this today would be too scandalous, especially for TV.

Sometimes "progress' does not lead to a better place, at least IMHO. I understand the goals of female empowerment and agree with most, but one must remember that these are superheroines, and not real people.

At the risk of diverging slightly from topic, Supergirl's costume, which has traditionally been worn underneath her street clothes, the primary design consideration should be minimizing it's size to make it easier to hide beneath contemporary clothing.

Boots and cape make no sense for that, given they force high necklines and strange footwear choices. Given that Kryptonians are invulnerable, a short skirt (or just a leotard bottom) and bare arms and shoulders and a deeply cut top are the only sensible choices to allow a wider (but still conservative) choice of clothing by Linda/Kara.

A tiny bit of brightly-colored invulnerable fabric is all that's required. This swimsuit would be a good model for a Supergirl costume when it comes to enabling some reasonable civilian clothing options.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 20:02 #58499 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)

shadar wrote: That swimsuit, that looks a lot like Saturn Girl's old costume except for color, is also a reminder that costumes in the 60's and 70's were truly outstanding.

It seems like the trend forward, starting in the 80's, was to use more square inches of fabric with every iteration. A costume like this today would be too scandalous, especially for TV.

Sometimes "progress' does not lead to a better place, at least IMHO. I understand the goals of female empowerment and agree with most, but one must remember that these are superheroines, and not real people.

At the risk of diverging slightly from topic, Supergirl's costume, which has traditionally been worn underneath her street clothes, the primary design consideration should be minimizing it's size to make it easier to hide beneath contemporary clothing.

Boots and cape make no sense for that, given they force high necklines and strange footwear choices. Given that Kryptonians are invulnerable, a short skirt (or just a leotard bottom) and bare arms and shoulders and a deeply cut top are the only sensible choices to allow a wider (but still conservative) choice of clothing by Linda/Kara.

A tiny bit of brightly-colored invulnerable fabric is all that's required. This swimsuit would be a good model for a Supergirl costume when it comes to enabling some reasonable civilian clothing options.

Shadar


I totally agree about Supergirl's costume and the design constraints.

This is one of my favorite comic book rants. Supergirl is invulnerable, she can wear what she wants. (I'm sure I have a journal entry on this topic on my DA account). She doesn't need boots to protect her feet. Or armor. WTF is up with that? I guess the modern thought is without invulnerable (non-sensical) Kryptonian Fabric or the Byrne force field protecting clothing, she might need armor or end up nude most of the time. (Solving a problem that doesn't need to be solved!)

It's why my favorite Supergirl outfit is Hot Pants Supergirl with the ballerina slippers. ;-) The ones with the ribbons that lace up her calves. Dainty. Feminine. Sexy. On the most powerful woman in the world. (Ok, I like to update the hot pants to be a bit more modern cut like a fitness chick/athlete would wear, Maybe make the top skintight too ... but the slippers and hot pants are a good start. ;-)

Hell, look over at my avatar image. ;-) (Though I might prefer the House El symbol to be tiny on her breast like the 70's costume. That's right try not to start at her breasts ... your eyes will be drawn to the symbol (and to the breasts because they're breasts) ... which will then make you sweat as you realize you're staring at Supergirl's tits and she has Heat Vision and can easily toss you to the moon if you annoy her. Then when you try NOT to look at them, you end up looking at them... and then you notice her beautiful lips glide into a knowing smirk ...

I mean it's not overt like PG's boob window, but it does a similar thing. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2018 01:27 #58503 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

shadar wrote: That swimsuit, that looks a lot like Saturn Girl's old costume except for color, is also a reminder that costumes in the 60's and 70's were truly outstanding.

It seems like the trend forward, starting in the 80's, was to use more square inches of fabric with every iteration. A costume like this today would be too scandalous, especially for TV.

Sometimes "progress' does not lead to a better place, at least IMHO. I understand the goals of female empowerment and agree with most, but one must remember that these are superheroines, and not real people.

At the risk of diverging slightly from topic, Supergirl's costume, which has traditionally been worn underneath her street clothes, the primary design consideration should be minimizing it's size to make it easier to hide beneath contemporary clothing.

Boots and cape make no sense for that, given they force high necklines and strange footwear choices. Given that Kryptonians are invulnerable, a short skirt (or just a leotard bottom) and bare arms and shoulders and a deeply cut top are the only sensible choices to allow a wider (but still conservative) choice of clothing by Linda/Kara.

A tiny bit of brightly-colored invulnerable fabric is all that's required. This swimsuit would be a good model for a Supergirl costume when it comes to enabling some reasonable civilian clothing options.

Shadar


I totally agree about Supergirl's costume and the design constraints.

This is one of my favorite comic book rants. Supergirl is invulnerable, she can wear what she wants. (I'm sure I have a journal entry on this topic on my DA account). She doesn't need boots to protect her feet. Or armor. WTF is up with that? I guess the modern thought is without invulnerable (non-sensical) Kryptonian Fabric or the Byrne force field protecting clothing, she might need armor or end up nude most of the time. (Solving a problem that doesn't need to be solved!)

It's why my favorite Supergirl outfit is Hot Pants Supergirl with the ballerina slippers. ;-) The ones with the ribbons that lace up her calves. Dainty. Feminine. Sexy. On the most powerful woman in the world. (Ok, I like to update the hot pants to be a bit more modern cut like a fitness chick/athlete would wear, Maybe make the top skintight too ... but the slippers and hot pants are a good start. ;-)

Hell, look over at my avatar image. ;-) (Though I might prefer the House El symbol to be tiny on her breast like the 70's costume. That's right try not to start at her breasts ... your eyes will be drawn to the symbol (and to the breasts because they're breasts) ... which will then make you sweat as you realize you're staring at Supergirl's tits and she has Heat Vision and can easily toss you to the moon if you annoy her. Then when you try NOT to look at them, you end up looking at them... and then you notice her beautiful lips glide into a knowing smirk ...

I mean it's not overt like PG's boob window, but it does a similar thing. ;-)


This is outstanding, Twice. If I could send you a dozen Thank You's, I would.

I've drafted a few other thoughts on costume and identities that I'll post soon

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2018 02:56 #58505 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
In response to Twice, here are my thoughts on the character, costume and itentities:

Supergirl’s ideal costume

Thoughts in narrative form about costume and identity from a comic-book perspective.

This is not the Kara Danvers of the TV show, but rather my personal version of the Linda Danvers/Supergirl I grew up with in the pages of comics in the 60’s through the 80’s.

by Shadar

Her perfect costume was the one she could wear beneath contemporary clothing. It would be smaller than any other she’d worn before, but would still cover enough to be responsible in public. Despite that, many people would think this newest costume impolite in its brevity, but that would be a matter of opinion. If anyone had the body to get away with wearing less clothing, it was the Girl of Steel.

Her blue leotard was cut deeply down the front to the bottom of her ribcage, the silky yet elastic fabric hugging her firm breasts tightly as it revealed the definition of her toned abdomen. A small “S” emblem was centered on her left breast, where it would draw the eye, as if her high, firm bustline hadn’t done that already. Men would stare at her in a bold way that they’d never do with an ordinary woman. After all, this was Supergirl. She wasn’t human. Some rules didn’t apply.

Her leotard was cut deeply down her back almost to her waist. Two thin straps of unbreakable Kryptonian material secured her top by running up over her otherwise bared shoulders to connect to the leotard’s back, which did not quite rise to her shoulder blades. Her arms and shoulders were otherwise bared, as were her legs, other than the thin, red ballerina slippers whose ribbons laced delicately over her firm calves.

A tiny skirt sat low over her slender hips, and was cut downward slightly into a V in front, with a golden belt, yet was completely unnecessary to preserve her modesty, which was assured by the tapered bottom of her leotard. She liked the skirt because it was a tease, and she had the tightly-rounded backside and long, slender legs that a miniskirt would greatly enhance. She thought the overall effect was sexy in the way of an Elvish nymph, a look that was emphasized by her large, blue eyes and her long, blonde hair.

She had given up wearing a cape, despite its occasional usefulness, as she wanted to wear a wider variety of contemporary street clothing over her costume. That left no place to stuff a cape, let alone the boots she used to wear. But with her arms and shoulders bared, and her neckline free of cape or leotard top, she could wear nearly any kind of clothing, including plunging and shoulder-baring sleeveless fashions.

Of course, many who saw her wearing this tiny costume thought she was just trying to be sexy, but other than her little handkerchief skirt, that simply wasn’t true. As an invulnerable being, she needed no clothing, and as a young woman, she wanted to wear the most modern fashions while still keeping her underlying costume available for the frequent times she had to instantly transform herself from Linda into Supergirl. In the end, it was more practicality than anything else that drove the changes.

The biggest remaining challenge was her long, blonde hair, which tapered to a point that hung nearly to her waist. She was forced to compress her flaxen hair beneath a stylishly-cut red wig that was longer than before, almost to the middle of her back, which made it far more attractive than her earlier mousy-brown shoulder-length one. She thought the red hair complimented her blue eyes in a very different way than her native sunshine blonde.

The red wig itself had to be stashed with her street clothing, which presented problems whenever she had to instantly reappear as Linda. But she’d by now become an expert at hiding her street clothing in places they were unlikely to be discovered during her brief appearances as Supergirl.

What is often forgotten is that the ultimate disguise was Linda’s personality, which was dorky-cute combined with a simmering sexiness that not everyone got. Her posture was less than perfect, her movements lacking grace, and while her red wig was indeed attractive, her awkward moments and general lack of confidence and borderline shyness were completely the opposite of her dynamic, self-assured, uber-competent outgoing physicality as the powerful blonde Supergirl. Listening to the two of them talk, you’d never believe they were the same person.

In combination, it was enough to ensure that she could live two independent lives with all the accomplishment of a born schizophrenic, which clinically, she arguably was. But not from mental disease or malfunction, but from conscious attempt. It was something that both she and her cousin Kal El were adept at, and could be argued to be an unacknowledged Kryptonian power. She didn’t just behave differently as Linda versus Supergirl, she actually thought and felt differently about things. She was truly two different persons.

Also, like her cousin Clark Kent, Linda Danvers was the whole person. She had a family, friends, a job and all the social connections of a young woman, including a boyfriend. In contrast, Supergirl was the disguise. An opportunity to release her frustrations and be powerful and fix problems that nobody else could. A chance to be the hero that Linda Danvers could never be.

Yet as much as she loved soaring as Supergirl, as much as it was satisfying to just punch out the bad guys and save the day, to briefly become the ultimate celebrity, the spectacular alien from a distant star with mighty powers who would always mysteriously disappear from sight again, it was her life as Linda Danvers that truly completed her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2018 15:04 - 10 Feb 2018 15:05 #58528 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)
Would be interesting to have Mon-els wife show more superpowers.
arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Imra_Ardeen


Powers and abilities
Powers

Superhuman strength (possibly): During her training session with Mon-El, when she punched his abdomen, he felt it and was in pain for a few seconds, suggesting she has some sort of superhuman strength able to affect a Daxamite.[2]
Telekinesis: As seen during her fight with Reign, Imra has telekinetic abilities. She displayed being able to carry various weights against Reign.
Force-fields: During her fight with Reign, Imra is shown making a form of forcefield from her ability of telekinesis.
Tactile Telekinesis (possibly): During her training session with Mon-El she was able to injure him with a punch, suggesting either super strength or a precise usage of her telekinesis to mimic it.

Abilities

Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Imra is an expert fighter, as seen when she sparring with Mon-El.[2]

Equipment

Legion flight ring: Imra’s legion ring allows her to fly.
Legion suit: Imra wears a protective suit during battle.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 15:05 by slim36.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2018 22:27 #58531 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Ep. 3 X 13 Both Sides Now (spoilers)

slim36 wrote: Would be interesting to have Mon-els wife show more superpowers.
arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Imra_Ardeen


Powers and abilities
Powers

Superhuman strength (possibly): During her training session with Mon-El, when she punched his abdomen, he felt it and was in pain for a few seconds, suggesting she has some sort of superhuman strength able to affect a Daxamite.[2]
Telekinesis: As seen during her fight with Reign, Imra has telekinetic abilities. She displayed being able to carry various weights against Reign.
Force-fields: During her fight with Reign, Imra is shown making a form of forcefield from her ability of telekinesis.
Tactile Telekinesis (possibly): During her training session with Mon-El she was able to injure him with a punch, suggesting either super strength or a precise usage of her telekinesis to mimic it.

Abilities

Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Imra is an expert fighter, as seen when she sparring with Mon-El.[2]

Equipment

Legion flight ring: Imra’s legion ring allows her to fly.
Legion suit: Imra wears a protective suit during battle.



You've got my vote.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds